What Irons Should You Not Take A Divot With?

I've Been Told Only Take Divots With A 7 iron Down?
What irons should you not take a divot with and also is it bad to be handsy in the takeaway?

Comments

• flamtapflamtap Welcome to the Tour. Jr. Boomers Posts: 288
    i_luv_golf_ wrote on Jul 1 2006, 03:44 PM:

What irons should you not take a divot with and also is it bad to be handsy in the takeaway?

to tell you the truth, i take divots with 6 irons and up usually, i am a very handsy player, and can spin a PINNACLE back 6 yards with a 3 iron, i hit the ball very high, mostly because of my divots. Just make sure your divots are not behind the ball.

To further understand, read this link

http://www.leaderboard.com/GLOSSARY_TAKEDIVOT

Let me know how it goes

image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' /> Paul
  • kblakeney35kblakeney35 Jr. Boomers Posts: 937
    I really dont think it matters if you take a divot with your long irons as long as it isnt hampering your swing in any way. I actually concentrate on taking a divot when Im hitting a knockdown shot with, say, a 4 iron. That thought helps me stay down on the ball and deloft the clubface to help keep the ballflight low.

-Kyle
  • i_luv_golf_i_luv_golf_ Jr. Boomers Posts: 428
    Right So 6 Iron Down?

Yes I Take Divots With Long Irons For Knockdown Shots!
  • SacTown24SacTown24 Members Posts: 191
    5-sw for me- i hit the ball high as well- tons of spin
  • M_PortissM_Portiss Members Posts: 37
    I am a digger, so I take turf with every swing of the club. From 3 wood to 60* Being a 4 handicap, it has done alright for me...
  • TigerStrongTigerStrong Ack...Ack...Go Mr. McIver Banned Posts: 2,894
    edited Aug 6, 2006 #7
    flamtap wrote on Jul 1 2006, 04:18 PM:

i_luv_golf_ wrote on Jul 1 2006, 03:44 PM:

to tell you the truth, i take divots with 6 irons and up usually, i am a very handsy player, and can spin a PINNACLE back 6 yards with a 3 iron, i hit the ball very high, mostly because of my divots. Just make sure your divots are not behind the ball.

To further understand, read this link

http://www.leaderboard.com/GLOSSARY_TAKEDIVOT

Let me know how it goes

image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' /> Paul

You can spin a 3 iron back 6 yards. Wow I loved to see that unless your 3 iron is 60 degrees. I know you guys don't want any smart **** comments but this is a joke. You should take diviots with every iron.
    Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
    Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
    Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
    Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
    Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch
  • tanjtanj Jr. Boomers Posts: 664
    I don't really see how this is a joke...

Personally, I take divots 5 iron down (6, 7, 8...). They are, however, quite shallow but that may be due to the firm ground in Australia.

Josh
  • i_luv_golf_i_luv_golf_ Jr. Boomers Posts: 428
    6-Lw is working great.

I don't take divots with wedges unless it's a 3/4 shot or more
  • TigerStrongTigerStrong Ack...Ack...Go Mr. McIver Banned Posts: 2,894
    tanj wrote on Aug 6 2006, 01:26 AM:

I don't really see how this is a joke...

Personally, I take divots 5 iron down (6, 7, 8...). They are, however, quite shallow but that may be due to the firm ground in Australia.

Josh

The guy said he can spin a 3 iron back 6 yards. Did you read that????????????
    Nike VR Limited 10.5 BlueBoard 83x
    Nike VR Limited 15* BlueBoard 83x
    Adams Pro 21* Fubuki AX 82x
    Adams XTD Forged 4-Pw DG
    Titleist Vokey 50* 55* 60* TI DG
    Scotty Cameron 009 33 Inch
  • RaiderGolf4416RaiderGolf4416 Members Posts: 49
    i take a divot w/ my 7,8,9,pw,sw/lw
  • JohnnyJohnny Get Kwok'd Charter Members Posts: 8,706 ✭✭
    Keep it clean and nice guys....

anyways honestly unless I take a divot with every iron, I dont feel like I hit it solid and I lose distance. Only exception would be on the tee .

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
    Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
    Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
    Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
    Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

• j_wil_06j_wil_06 Jr. Boomers Posts: 120
    Johnny wrote on Aug 6 2006, 02:36 PM:

anyways honestly unless I take a divot with every iron, I dont feel like I hit it solid and I lose distance. Only exception would be on the tee .

Agreed. It just feels like a mis-hit unless i take a divot, even with longer irons. Obviously the longer irons (3,4,5) i take a much shallower divot. As long as you are making the divot after ball contact, any size divot is fine...
  • jonny_dunjonny_dun Members Posts: 34
    i played in my club champs on sunday and i got told off for takin a divot with a stinger 4 irons off the first tee.

i have said many times that it is my choice to hit irons off many tees at my home course and if that involves taking a divot which it always does i can.

im very steep so take a divot with a 3 wood off the tee so what eva is best 4 ur game

jonny-dun
  • zojozojo Members Posts: 854 ✭✭
    i don't take much of a divot with most all of my clubs. I guess its just your style and it doesn't really matter what the club does as long as you make clean contact with the ball first in the center of the clubface, its not like the ball cares if you take a divot
  • Rabidpenguin45Rabidpenguin45 Gotta love tour preffered knitts Members Posts: 1,463
    I take divots with all my irons, otherwise with the long irons i'll hit them low and more of a stinger like shot.
  • kkherekkhere Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,138
    Divots are fine with any club as long as it doesn't hamper performance. I take a divot wiht my driver off the deck with excellent results
  • KuzeKuze Members Posts: 15
    I take divots with my 6 iron down. When I want to do a knockdown, I take a divot with the ball back in my stance.

The turf in Washington is soft, but I feel awkward going steep with my long irons.

Handsy? I sort of feel like Colin Montgomerie when I do 'handsy'.
  • golfdownundergolfdownunder Members Posts: 52
    I take them with 5 i down but if i'm hitting a punch i will hit a divot with a 2 i
  • Jer-JerJer-Jer Members Posts: 2,924 ✭✭
    I just swing the club and if I take a divot ok...there is no set limit as to what club you should and should not take a divot with. People on tour take divots with a 3 wood, maybe not a huge one but there is one. Everybody has a different swing so you can't say what club you should/should not be taking ne with.
  • PingManCrusherPingManCrusher Members Posts: 34
    The south Georgia ground is pretty hard right now so I don't get much of a divot with anything longer than an 8 iron- thats not to say i don't hit down on the ball as stated by the Golfing Machine. Hit down for the ball to go up.

Isn't this game stupid image/crazy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':idhitit:' /> haha
  • Golfer1016Golfer1016 Members Posts: 920
    j_wil_06 wrote on Aug 6 2006, 05:26 PM:

Johnny wrote on Aug 6 2006, 02:36 PM:

Agreed. It just feels like a mis-hit unless i take a divot, even with longer irons. Obviously the longer irons (3,4,5) i take a much shallower divot. As long as you are making the divot after ball contact, any size divot is fine...

Same here, I take a divot with all my clubs and i feel like its a mis hit if dont. Longer irons are much mor shallow. I even take a bit of a divot with my hybrid and 3w off the deck. Its all just how you swing. sweeper or digger.
  • sync71sync71 Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,534
    I take a divot with 6 and down, except with my wedges I only take a divot if its 3/4 or more swing. And thats what I personally like to do.
  • danielschodanielscho Members Posts: 220
    I take a divot with all my irons , my hybrid and 3 wood of the fairway(slight divot with the latter 2 of course)

This proves with your irons that you are hitting down on the ball insted of trying to sweep the ball up in to the air. As long as you hit the ball then the turf you will be ok, this goes for on the tee as well.

Watch the next PGA event on tv and see how they take divots with all their irons.

I must be doing something right if they do it too

This is only my point of view
  • RJC59RJC59 Members Posts: 1,222 ✭✭
    Looks like Tiger Woods has it all wrong considering he takes divots with his 3wood all the way down to his LW. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':idhitit:' />
  • Jer-JerJer-Jer Members Posts: 2,924 ✭✭
    Too bad Tiger doesn't take a divot with his 3 wood...he just sweeps the grass and maybe brushes it down a little bit...but definitely no big divot.
  • SheriffBoothSheriffBooth Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 4,441 mod
    There's no rule about divots - whoever said you should only take divots with a 7-iron or less is a fool. Lee Trevino took divots the size of a doormat; Tom Watson barely makes the grass move when he hits the ball. Two completely different styles, two of the best ball strikers in golf history.
    Taylormade M6, 9.0*, Hzrdus Smoke 60 S
    Taylormade M5, 15*, Hzrdus Smoke 70 S
    Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage S
    Taylormade P-790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Taylormade MG 50, 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Cameron Futura 5.5M, 36"
  • swanry30swanry30 Lights Out ClubWRX Posts: 4,532 ✭✭
    If you hit the ball fine, who cares how much of a divot you take... There are pickers and diggers. Whatever works!
    TaylorMade | M5 Tour 9*  | Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
    TaylorMade | M5 14* | Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
    TaylorMade | P790 UDI 17* | Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 100TX
    Miura | MC 501 Raw 3-PW | PX 6.5
    Callaway | "Customs" Mack Daddy Forged Slate 54 R grind - 58 R grind | PX 6.5
    Scotty Cameron - MOTO "Encinitas Gallery" Newport 34" 350g
    Bridgestone | Tour B XS

WITB Link

instagram | https://www.instagram.com/ryan.swanberg/
  • Rich71691Rich71691 Enough? Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,957
    I take divots with 5 iron and down
  • Redick4Redick4 Members Posts: 22
    I take divots with all my irons (3-LW) they are different types of divots but divots none the less. For example my divots with my 7-LW are alot deeper than my 3-6. If you look at Tiger he takes divots with every club.

WITB

Driver: Nike SasQuatch 8.5* w/Mitsubishi Diamana stiff shaft tipped to an X

3 wood: Mizuno MP-001 15* w/Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

5 wood: Callaway X 19* w/Callaway Uniflex shaft

Irons: Mizuno MP 33 (3-PW) w/Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Cleveland REG. 588 (51* and 60*)

Titleist Vokey (56*) (soon to come: Nike SV wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Cleveland Classics VI (35")

Ball: Nike One Platinum (Pro-V1 logo ball during college seasons)

Handicap: 6
  • boris58boris58 Members Posts: 15
    the type of divot u make all depends on how mach wrist-**** and lag u produce. i personally like to take a divot with all my irons a** long as i dont feel the grass decelerating my clubhead im taking good divots.