2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Found my new ball!!

BorlaFTW

Srixon ZStar
Don't know why it took me so long to try it out, but I finally played some today. Wow is all I can say. The first thing that really opened up my eyes was the durability - doesn't scuff hardly any. The spin I feel is perfect for me too, and don't even get me started on distance. It isn't as spongy on the Pro V1; it is more solid but just as soft (if that makes sense). I LOVE it off the wedge. My swing speed is 112-116 and it still has plenty of long-ball in it.

If you haven't tried them, do.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BorlaFTW' date='10 July 2010 - 06:51 PM' timestamp='1278802309' post='2567461']
Don't know why it took me so long to try it out, but I finally played some today. Wow is all I can say. The first thing that really opened up my eyes was the durability - doesn't scuff hardly any. The spin I feel is perfect for me too, and don't even get me started on distance. It isn't as spongy on the Pro V1; it is more solid but just as soft (if that makes sense). I LOVE it off the wedge. My swing speed is 112-116 and it still has plenty of long-ball in it.

If you haven't tried them, do.
[/quote]

That's one of the best, yes sir.

I play the X version in tour yellow and I too am very impressed especially with the spin off the wedges. i can now spin the ball backwards sometimes up to 15 feet something I have not been able to do before. The color is pretty neat too. I have converted from the Pro V1x and no looking back.

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

• 2 weeks later...

I was killing time in Edwin Watts the other day while my wife was shopping at the mall. Kind of boring since I don't need any new clubs, I've got two brand-new pairs of golf shoes and none of their lefty putters were all that exciting.

Since there's that rule against going in a golf shop and not buying [u]something[/u] or another I grabbed a dozen of those bright-yellow Z-star balls when it was time to leave. I had tried a dozen Z-URS or some darned thing a few years ago and vaguely remembered they worked fine. And I dig the whole yellow-ball thing. Guess I'll try a sleeve of them this weekend.

Hopefully they'll be durable as everyone reports. I use NXT Tours and it's kind of sick the way a perfectly normal wedge shot will sometimes leave a bruise on them. And forget hitting a tree or a cart path, that really tears 'em up (not that I ever hit anything except fairways and greens with my 17 handicap).

Do you reckon they're more durable than the old TP Red LDP? That was a pretty durable ball for how spinny it was. I also hope they fly pretty a fair distance with my 90mph clubhead speed. At least they'll look pretty in the air even if they only go 180 yards!

I've been a Srixon convert for a while now and all I can say is that if you haven't tried them yet, do so. They are the best balls out there. I alternate between the Z Star and Z Star X depending on what course I play. They are REALLY long, have great feel, perfect amount of spin off a wedge, great in the wind and feel nice coming off the putter face.......

[quote name='SpinMill75' timestamp='1279897384' post='2594477']
I've been a Srixon convert for a while now and all I can say is that if you haven't tried them yet, do so. They are the best balls out there. I alternate between the Z Star and Z Star X depending on what course I play. They are REALLY long, have great feel, perfect amount of spin off a wedge, great in the wind and feel nice coming off the putter face.......
[/quote]

I love them but my favorite thing is they are durable white ones hold up well but the yellow ones are awesome last weekend in a tournament I used one yellow ball all weekend it held up well and i found the trees several times.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway Epic 15
Callaway Steelhead 19
Callaway Steelhead 22
Callaway Apex CF16 5-SW
Callaway MD Forged 58
Rife Two Bar Hybrid Blade
Srixon Z Star XV
Ping Pioneer

[quote name='BNich0622' timestamp='1278814622' post='2567813']
I play the X version in tour yellow and I too am very impressed especially with the spin off the wedges. i can now spin the ball backwards sometimes up to 15 feet something I have not been able to do before. The color is pretty neat too. I have converted from the Pro V1x and no looking back.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more the Z Star X Yellow is a fantastic ball. Does everything I want or need a ball to do. I'm happy I switched.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

IMO - Zstar is a tough ball and it does not flake in the skin as the Callaway balls. When compared to the TM red LDP ball, its just as durable but for me, the Zstar is a shorter ball, spins a little more and as such, it's not that good a wind ball as the TM red LDP. However, for putting, it's the better ball - super soft.

Argh...I wish TM had kept up their red LDP line, but oh no, they have to keep on running their burner ldp rubbish line...:rolleyes:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

No sir, I don't think I like it.

The yellow color is good but I don't think the Zstar is a good ball for me. It's just too spinny. I felt like Greg Norman at Augusta, too much spin at all the wrong times. The low point was on the 11th hole. I hit a bad tee shot, had to punch out of the rough. Made a perfect layup, I was practically standing on the 100-yard plate to hit my third shot which is great distance for my 105-yard pitching wedge to a pin slightly back of center on the green.

I carried the ball to five feet short of the hole with a smooth swing (90% swing) and it landed above the ridge that runs through the middle of the green. With an NXT Tour that leaves a putt of just a couple feet. It spun back off the ridge, all the way to the front of the green and left a 50-footer for par (which I lipped out). I also had a Par 3 to a front pin, about 148 yards. Hit my 150-yard club (6-iron) it landed pin high and six feet left, spun back to the front fringe. Left a 20-footer which I missed.

Final insult was 40-yard gouge out a deep, deep lie in thick Bermuda rough. Judge it perfectly (I thought) and landed a couple feet onto the green so it could roll out up toward the hole 30 feet on. It stopped on a dime the instant it hit. I'll be darned if I'm going to relearn my whole game to accomodate silly spin like that. Give me my NXT Tour where wedges stop dead, short irons release 5-10 feet and shots out of deep rough scoot forward when they land. Too bad, Iove the yellow color.

[quote name='moonshine' timestamp='1280025474' post='2597151']
never met someone with total control out of bermuda...i'm buying that z star right now[/quote]

Hey, I didn't mention the other shots that didn't come out at all or that went sideways! It's just that with my usual ball the occasional shots that happen to come out right always release instead of once in a while digging in their heels and sitting.

Yesterday was a day with ample opportunities to sample how the ball works out of the rough. Shot a 95 that could have been 100 if I hadn't made a few longish putts.

Srixon's are a surprising ball. I have been playing them last year and this year as it seems golftown in canada puts them on for buy one get one free every spring so load up. Great tour ball

In The Bag
Callaway Paradym TD 8* - Venrus Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth+ 15* - Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* - Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100s 4-pw - PX 6.5

Vokey 50F/54F/58T - PX 6.5
Lab Mezz Max- 34"
Titleist ProV1

Bought a box of the tours in yellow knowing I was playing this morning on a course that has hard fairways and fast greens. Ball performed incredibly, stopped on greens while all 3 playing partners were running through the green. Drove very nice and straight, does not scuff at all.

Easy to find and putts very well. It's a keeper.

great ball and very good durability...but do i worry like most seem to about the cover getting ripped?
no
why?
because there is no way to get great spin...without sharp wedge grooves, a downward strike with ball first...and a really soft cover that allows those sharp grooves to actually grab and spin that ball.

if it isnt getting ripped up...its resisting getting caught in those grooves..and its not going to spin like a mad man........and i like spin..you cannot have both........

[quote name='sharkhark' timestamp='1280112514' post='2598979']
great ball and very good durability...but do i worry like most seem to about the cover getting ripped?
no
why?
because there is no way to get great spin...without sharp wedge grooves, a downward strike with ball first...and a really soft cover that allows those sharp grooves to actually grab and spin that ball.

if it isnt getting ripped up...its resisting getting caught in those grooves..and its not going to spin like a mad man........and i like spin..you cannot have both........
[/quote]

I ahve found that it gets great spin and the cover seems almost elasticy... Not sure on that spelling or if that is a word. I hit off the tee with my ball spun a specific way and strike the same portion of the ball. What I have noticed after playing a ball for a while is that there seems to be stretch marks showing up on the surface. I'll try to get a picture next time and post it but I am thinking that the cover is giving but not tearing or the teeth of the groove dig in but the cover rebounds. I find that the Z-Star spins better [u]for me[/u] than the Pro V1 series. I just don't like the new Pro V1's. I love the Z-Star Tour Yellow.