2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TM TP Reds are gone.

Sabaka

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sabaka' date='12 July 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1278984561' post='2571841']
Like many others I loved the Reds but they are getting hard to find. I am playing the Penta now but am wondering what other options I should look at. For those who used to play the Reds what did you switch to and why? How does your new ball compare to the Reds?
[/quote]

I just discovered these beauties on saturday and when i get to my GG, they say they just sold them all last week for 18$ a dozen. i was just like :((((((((((((((((((((((((((

BUT why don't you just get them on a used ball website which is what i have to do now.

[quote name='moymoiboy' date='12 July 2010 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1278985017' post='2571866']
[quote name='Sabaka' date='12 July 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1278984561' post='2571841']
Like many others I loved the Reds but they are getting hard to find. I am playing the Penta now but am wondering what other options I should look at. For those who used to play the Reds what did you switch to and why? How does your new ball compare to the Reds?
[/quote]

I just discovered these beauties on saturday and when i get to my GG, they say they just sold them all last week for 18$ a dozen. i was just like :((((((((((((((((((((((((((

BUT why don't you just get them on a used ball website which is what i have to do now.
[/quote]

Yes, I did stock up and have a few that will last a bit. But sooner or later I will have to switch to something I wanted to start the search now while have some Reds to compare to.

I am talking about the Red LDP's, not the previous version.

if you like them so much, do as I have done...STOCK UP. I've got a couple hundred still sitting here from lostgolfballs.com...I use them for practicing and casual rounds. I've also kept an eye out here and on eBay for great deals on NIB dozens...when I see a good deal, I snatch them up. I've got 9 dozen NIB for tournaments sitting here.

I figure that one day I'll probably run out, but by then, there'll be new balls on the market. I see no reason in trying to find something right now that I like as much. With that said, the most comparable ball I've seen to the Red LDP is the B330. I played it before the Red LDP. It seems to have the lower spin characteristics that I find the Red LDP has. The Penta is NOT a good replacement for me--I see an obvious increase in driver launch angle (most likely attributed to higher spin).

In the same boat and have been trying out different options so I know what I like when the time comes that you can't get TP Red LDPs anymore. I've tried the Penta, TP Black LDPs, Pro V1 and V1x and the Bridgestone B330-RX.

The Penta, to me, was a blending of the TP Red and TP Black. Soft feel on full shots like the Red but with a slightly higher launch and click off the wedges and putter like the Black but with the soft feel of the Red. Also the Penta has about the same spin on approaches as the Black judging from the check I was getting.

TP Black LDP was firmer, with forged irons the Black wasn't so firm that is was harsh but it was no marshmellow either. On full shots it did provide more feedback as to a toe or heel mis-hit then the Red and provided a noticable click off wedge shots and the putter. It did fly a little higher than the Red but the flight worked since the greens are hard as rocks right now due to lack of rain. The Black does spin a little more off short irons and wedges than the Red, just enough for me to notice a bit more check.

Pro V1 and Pro V1x...we know how these perform.

Bridgestone B330-RX felt a lot like the Red but with a somewhat higher launch. Was a lot like the Red on full shots but with a little more click off the wedges and putter. For me at least, it was the spinniest ball of the bunch. I was able to hit a smooth pitching wedge with the B330-RX where it would hop straight up then spin back 2-3 yards. Most other balls I am a one hop and stop player on wedge approaches.

FWIW I would pick the Penta as my TP Red LDP replacement, but I'm not going to be buying any anytime soon due to the price, even on LostGolfBalls they are $30 ish a dozen. Second choice would be the B330-RX, but again they are a bit too pricey even on LGB since I don't think they are a high-volume ball. I don't want to be another Pro V1 guy so they are out. That leaves the TP Black LDP. It's not the Red but at least for me the differences can be adjusted for. Also the price is right at $20 a dozen for AAAAA on LGB. My plan for now is to play the Red in softer conditions and the Black when it's harder. That way I can make what Reds I have last until I start seeing the AAAAA Penta below $25 on LGB.

Cram it with walnuts!

Got the last 2 dozen of these from the nearest GG store last week. I thought there were more but they were the last ones on the display rack. Got them for $18.73 per dozen.

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade M1 10.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 13* - Diamana S+ 70S[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro 14.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams Idea Pro A12 23* - Aldila RIPd VS Proto[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bridgestone J36 PC (4-PW) - KBS Tour[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Engage 56TS & 60S- DG S200[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno-Bettinardi BC1[/font][/size]

bought six doz from golf discount a couple of weeks ago to go with my 2 doz at home. stocking up whenver i have the chance to buy em!!1

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

Penta.

Best ball I've ever played - came from the TP Black LDP but this Penta feels softer off the irons and in the short department - and long off the driver

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

[/quote]

Currently, the Nike One Tour D. Also like the Z Star and Z Star X.

Nike ONE Tour is a mini missile that hits its target and sticks! The Srixon Z-Star is another great ball and might even closer to the TP Red than the ONE Tour in feel and spin. Nike is firmer and spins a touch more. So in my opinion I play the Nike ONE Tour but one of the closest balls might just be the Srixon Z-Star. Good feel and better spin and the Callaway Tour i(s) fits the bill. Just so many great balls and options.

[quote name='El Pato' date='21 July 2010 - 03:13 AM' timestamp='1279700003' post='2589802']
I've switche to the ProV1X, but sometimes I'll try a Penta. I wanna try the FG Tour though.

[/quote]

I finally did try the FG Tour. It's not for me - too soft, not long enough off the driver, and curiously I found the spin to be inconsistent.

However, I gave the remaining balls to my wife and she loves them!

[quote name='muxi87' date='13 July 2010 - 07:52 AM' timestamp='1279029161' post='2572733']
if you like them so much, do as I have done...STOCK UP. I've got a couple hundred still sitting here from lostgolfballs.com...I use them for practicing and casual rounds. I've also kept an eye out here and on eBay for great deals on NIB dozens...when I see a good deal, I snatch them up. I've got 9 dozen NIB for tournaments sitting here.

I figure that one day I'll probably run out, but by then, there'll be new balls on the market. I see no reason in trying to find something right now that I like as much. [b]With that said, the most comparable ball I've seen to the Red LDP is the B330[/b]. I played it before the Red LDP. It seems to have the lower spin characteristics that I find the Red LDP has. The Penta is NOT a good replacement for me--I see an obvious increase in driver launch angle (most likely attributed to higher spin).
[/quote]

Same for me...stocked up on the Reds and the B330 is a very close ball and I have been using the Bridgestone off and on and they do play very similiar...I have also been trying the Z-Star X Yellow just for kicks and giggles but the jury is still out...

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

[quote name='feedlotdoc' date='21 July 2010 - 08:27 AM' timestamp='1279722454' post='2590117']
Cally tour ix. Just as good int the wind, better spin around the green. Maybe a tad longer too.
[/quote]

If the i(x) was still available I would try it but I won a couple of boxes of the i(z) so going to give those a whirl this weekend.

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

[quote name='kencanuck' date='21 July 2010 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1279722570' post='2590122']
[quote name='feedlotdoc' date='21 July 2010 - 08:27 AM' timestamp='1279722454' post='2590117']
Cally tour ix. Just as good int the wind, better spin around the green. Maybe a tad longer too.
[/quote]

If the i(x) was still available I would try it but I won a couple of boxes of the i(z) so going to give those a whirl this weekend.

Ken
[/quote]

I get mine from LostGolfBalls.com I have played the iz, it spins more around the green and may be a bit longer. Last time I bought from LGB, I got 8 doz, plus 3 doz I picked up off the BST. Gonna be a while before I have to buy again. Only reason I played the iz is I was headed to a tourny after a week on the road and left the ix at home. $42 mistake, but good reason to try a new ball!

i(z) is good, but the regular Z-Star is the closest to the Red LDP that I've played. I actually prefer the Z-Star. Not that big a fan of the Penta.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0