2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone want to start a pool on how many Method 001's are sold over the next couple weeks?

SergioKSU

I'm sure there's a million topics floating around over at the PGA WITB and Tourney sections about "the switch" so I'm not going to debate that here. I'm just curious how you guys think sales will be effected. Let's be honest there are still millions of fans of Tiger's and if he keeps making putts like he did today I think it's a safe bet there will be a ton of Method 001's on the BST forum lol. Overall I bet Nike is crying tears of joy, as long as the switch is permanent.

Oh and I'm also curious about the putter. If Tiger switched it has to have some qualities of the Cameron he wouldn't give up for so long. Anyone game one? What's your impressions?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sales will definitely go up.....if he keeps it in the bag they will go up big time!

I will however, stick with my SC!

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

[quote name='alittleoverpar' date='15 July 2010 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1279211877' post='2577777']
Sales will definitely go up.....if he keeps it in the bag they will go up big time!

I will however, stick with my SC!
[/quote]

Yup I don't think I could ever give up my TeI3 Newport. It has a much harsher feel than some of the new SC's but I have no reason to take it out, it gets the job done day in and day out.

I don't really like the squared off edges of the 001 that I see in the pictures. Reminds me of a Newport 2 but without the site line and with a dot. I wish they had one that looked more like a Newport with a clean top line.

If you plan on playing your scotty's keep em if your a collector I'd be offloading those bad boys quicker then a fat kid eats a cupcake. Scotty had the market by the balls for a decade, it's over now so value is going to decline and people are not going to be happy.  And IMO this is going to happen regardless of whether tiger is playing it or not.  To many great putters out there now, scotty isn't the only show in town in fact he's fell behind companies.  More and more players on tour are replacing their scotty's.  The proof is in the pudding, watch any big tourney and count the amount of scotty's you see.  Big time decline.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' date='15 July 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1279212182' post='2577784']
If you plan on playing your scotty's keep em if your a collector I'd be offloading those bad boys quicker then a fat kid eats a cupcake. Scotty had the market by the balls for a decade, it's over now so value is going to decline and people are not going to be happy.  And IMO this is going to happen regardless of whether tiger is playing it or not.  To many great putters out there now, scotty isn't the only show in town in fact he's fell behind companies.  More and more players on tour are replacing their scotty's.  The proof is in the pudding, watch any big tourney and count the amount of scotty's you see.  Big time decline.
[/quote]

You may want to consider changing your username to Chicken Little. cluck cluck

[quote name='J13' date='15 July 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1279212182' post='2577784']
[/quote]

37% of putters in play on the Tour still leads all other manufacturers.

Sales will certainly soar. IMHO he will not go back to his Scotty. Nike built their entire golf line on Tiger and have suffered financially due to his sexcapades. I think they told him to play their putter as restitution for his actions off the course. How's that for a conspiracy theary?

Overachieving Underachiever

He said at this course the hotter face is better because the ball comes off faster. I don't think he'll ditch the Scotty entirely. This might be his slow greens putter though. As far as Nike telling him he had to play it, didn't happen. I believe he has a stipulation in his contract regarding his putter not having to be Nike. They'd have had to force him to accept a change to the contract. He's still their money train and they're not going to do anything to piss him off.

More likely than that is Elin got the putter as part of the divorce, and that's not likely either.

I think this needs to be looked at in context. He's going to a harder less spinny ball to get his distance back .. an insert putter would be a logical move to maintain some soft feel off the putterface .. that's what others have done.. maybe this isn't so temporary .. BTW I've never seen so many Cameron 009's on ebay at the same time ..

I honestly think the only thing that will somewhat dampen the surge of Method putter sales will be that some players will just refuse to bag a Nike putter, especially the Ping and Callaway faithful. However, those same players are willing to bag a Scotty even though Cameron is under the Titleist umbrella. Many people I speak to don't really think of Titleist when SC is mentioned. Scotty is still seen as his own brand. Titleist simply bought his name years ago.

If the Method Putter had been introduced by a Bettinardi or other longstanding premium putter designer, sales would be much greater. That being said, I still agree that Method putter sales will skyrocket, especially among Nike faithful currently gaming Scottys.

As far as the pool, I'd say more that Nike will keep up with for the first few months. Can you say 'Back Ordered'? This, of course, being contingent on a Tiger win this season, especially at a major championship.

I agree with the OP about the lines and shape of the putter. However, i've putted with it indoors and the ball does come off the face faster and starts to roll end over end sooner. Has a pretty good feel and weight, but the sound can be a little "tinny". I would like to see how the ball rolls on grass vs my Scotty. It's worth your time to check out.

Tiger needs money since the former Mrs. Woods is getting $750 million. Tiger will be selling the SC putter for some much needed pocket cash.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

This does make me curious about the newer technology in putters these days and how much this shake-up will effect the sales as well as putter design for other companies. I currently game a SC that I bought back in '01. Although I have no plans to change putters, it is 9 year old technology, and I am wondering if something with a groove face would help. I'm not saying I'm gonna go out and get a Method but I know Rife makes a groove faced putter as well. Curious to see if SC will jump on this bandwagon now that he has lost Tiger, at least for the time being.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how much impact the TW effect will have. I'm as big a club ho as there is but I have never bought anything because a particular pro used it or had success with it. I have some SC's and none of the purchasing decisions were made by the fact that Tiger used them. I'm certainly not going ot rush out and buy a Nike putter. Though I do want a TM Daytona Ghost....sigh.

[quote name='Goldenhawk' date='15 July 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1279226576' post='2578285']
Tiger needs money since the former Mrs. Woods is getting $750 million. Tiger will be selling the SC putter for some much needed pocket cash.
[/quote]

The former Mrs. Woods is getting nowhere near that $750 mark.

Edit: And to get back to the OP I am considering getting a 001 as I rolled it pretty well the other day and I have seen one going for a good price.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

as long as he stick with it....nike will be backorded, as mentioned. Btw, I'm such a whore that I put a Ping Man Black out on my 001 and put back in play over my Duval putter. Draining some long ones too.

Mizuno ST190 G w/Accra Tour Z RPG 472 M5+
Mizuno ST190 TS 15 w/Accra TZ6 85 M5
Mizuno MP-20 3-Pw w/DG TI X100
Mizuno MP-20 Raw 56 & 60 w/DG TI S400
Artisan Custom 0117 35''
ProV1x

[quote name='RookieBlue7' date='15 July 2010 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1279216956' post='2577941']
[/quote]

37% of putters in play on the Tour still leads all other manufacturers.
[/quote]

Yes - but guess which brand is leading for the most times in the winner's circle this year on the PGA tour? Odyssey. And last year Scotty lost the PGA winner's circle court for the first time in a long long time also to Odyssey. Although Scotty is leading in putters in play as of now, other manufacturers are making inroads that they have not been for years.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

If he wins??.. you guys know the answer.. I sold all my scotties over the last 6 months... some for 150..some for 1000... knew about the Tiger switch.. but I finally figured out I putted best with a 2 ball... and have since it was introduced and I was just rounding into form as a competitor... have likely owned 300+ putters over the years and have enjoyed the quest.. but other than a few experiments.. (Like try a ghost of some sort for sure), I'm done.. I have never liked my bag better.. now if I could just hit a few more fairways and greens...keep my head still..swing around the axis..:)