2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Are Scotty Cameron Putters really worth the money?

I really want to buy a scotty but is it really worth the money? It seems that there are many other putters out there that are just as nice as a scotty and only half the price. Is there something special about the construction of the putter or are you just spending money on the name?

[quote name='laxindon25' date='22 July 2010 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1279815423' post='2592562']
I really want to buy a scotty but is it really worth the money? It seems that there are many other putters out there that are just as nice as a scotty and only half the price. Is there something special about the construction of the putter or are you just spending money on the name?
[/quote]

I think your question answers it's self.

[quote name='laxindon25' date='22 July 2010 - 10:17 AM' timestamp='1279815423' post='2592562']
[/quote]

You got it right on... name, name, name. There are sooooo many other putters out there that are great. Often people find they like others much better than the Scottys.

Only way to know it to put with them and see what fits your eye and feel best. Don't hang on a name.

Buy the one that gets the ball in the hole for you, regardless of brand.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I have tried quite a few putters, and to me it's worth every penny. The feel, IMHO, is unmatched.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

I like my Button Back...is it worth what I paid for it? To me it is, I play a lot of golf and I like the putter so I don't really care what it costs. Could I pick up a $40 used Odyssey putter and make the same amount of putts? Maybe, maybe not. When you go buy a watch do you buy it because of name, looks, price, functionality? A $10K Rolex keeps time and so does a $10 Timex.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I really want to buy a scotty but is it really worth the money? [b]NO[/b]. It seems that there are many other putters out there that are just as nice as a scotty and only half the price. Is there something special about the construction of the putter [b]NO[/b] or are you just spending money on the name? [b]YES[/b]

Taylormade M3 9.5 Tensei
Taylormade M4 (x2) Tensei
Adams Pro 22* Aldila Red
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro KBS Tour 4-PW
Bettinardi 52 & 58
Bettinardi BB8f

Scotty Cameron makes great putters.

Are they worth the money?

The answer is probably no,if it is going to hurt you financially then you should not do it.

If you like quality workmanship and can afford it then go buy one.

Is it the latest technology,probably not.

Will it make you a better putter,absolutely not.

But in this department Scotty Cameron's are cheap against Japanese golf equipment.

Over the years I've owned Scotty's, Mills, Byron Morgan, Piretti, Ping, Odyssey, etc.

At the end of the day IMHO the things that matter are:
Does the putter fit your eye?
Do you like how it feels?
Does it give you confidence when standing over the ball?

Yes to questions like these and the putter can become "priceless"!

[size=2][b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #1[/font][/b]
[b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki Z 50[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge EX9 Tour - 20*, Recoil 780 ES[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno JPX EZ Forged - 4i - GW, Fujikura MCI 80 Stiff[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fourteen RM21 Black - 54/10 - 58/8, Dynamic Gold[/font][/b]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Bettinardi Signature Model 6[/b] [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Putter Rotation: [b]Bettinardi [/b]Signature Model 6 / Model 7 / BB 360, [b]Miura [/b]KM-006 / KM-350, [b]TP Mills [/b]Nellie Wings / Fleetwood, [b]Byron Morgan[/b] Dalehead 89 / 007 (Copper, sound slot) / Channel Island Plumber / Channel Island Rincon, [b]Odyssey [/b]Prototype 2 Ball Black / Odyssey Black Series Tour Design 2 Ball Blade[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #2[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki ZT 60[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Hybrids - HB3 / HB4, Aerotech Steelfiber[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura MC102 - 4i - GW, Nippon NS Pro[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Black Wedges, 55/9 - 60/7, Nippon NS Pro WV[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura KM-006[/font][/size]

[quote name='laxindon25' timestamp='1279815423' post='2592562']
[/quote]

Are Scotty Cameron Putters really worth the money?

No but they're still nice and the price is what it is.

Handicap:  3

It's like a nice car. It gets you from point a to point b. Some just look better doing it... and that sometimes makes you feel better and more confident.
I've got a Scotty mil-spec 33/350, a Betti BB2 and a C&L and they all make the same amount of putts.

TM Stealth+ 10.5° Driver Red Ventus Velocore 6s

M2 '17 3HL 3 Wood
Titleist TS2 21° Tensei Blue 70
Titleist TS2 25° Tensei Blue 70
Muira MB/CB combo with KBS TOUR CUSTOM

TM Hi-Toe 52,56,60 Bigfoot 
Titleist TVD SM 52,56,60 All M-Grind
WITB Link

Just buy a used one if the price concerns you. I paid $200 for a Newport 2 last year. You can find some good deals out there. For $200 it was worth every penny...and if I had too I would probably pay the $300 if I had to go new. I personally enjoy the feel, quality and craftsmanship and to me that is priceless...to a point :D

Cameron putters, or any other milled putter for that matter, will always cost more because:

1. It takes more hours to do a single putter since it is carved out of a block of steel.

2. When it comes out of the milling machine, there are a lot of rough edges that need to be softened by hand.

On the other hand, any cast putter can be made in the hundreds in a minute, just pour it to the wax mold. There is also no need for softening edges. Sometimes the face will be milled but only "skim-milled" hence no need for a state-of-the-art CNC mill and it takes a very short time to do so.

In the end, you are paying for the manufacturing process. Nowadays, you cannot find a milled putter for less than $200. Is it better than a cast putter? Not really, in the same way that some made-in-China cars can be faster than a Rolls Royce. It is the build quality and manufacturing process you are really paying for.

[quote name='lucksack' timestamp='1279866152' post='2594093']
It's like a nice car. It gets you from point a to point b. Some just look better doing it... and that sometimes makes you feel better and more confident.
I've got a Scotty mil-spec 33/350, a Betti BB2 and a C&L and they all make the same amount of putts.
[/quote]

Best post of the thread by far.

I bought one used several years ago to solve a problem. As cheap as I am I knew if I spent enough money on a putter I wouldn't change putters. So far it has worked. Has it improved my putting? Not a whole lot, but I am more consistent with one putter than a rotation of 5 or 6. Would I go out and spend $300 for an OTR Scotty? Probably not, but that is the cheap side of me talking.

[size="3"]We were talking in another thread about Cameron putters, and the wonder Damascus putter, which most consider to be the best putter ever made.[/size]

[size="3"]Your question is, is it worth it, the short answer is of course, and to be honest Scotty’s putters are probably worth more. [/size]

[size="3"]The feel of the putter is like nothing else you will ever try. Also, his putters are works of modern art. It’s not just a piece of sports equipment, it’s a piece of sports art. This is why Cameron’s hold their worth and are so highly sought after.[/size]

[size="3"]Your typical rube will scream that Cameron just copied an existing design and then was great at marketing. If so, doesn’t it seem odd that no one else has been able to pull this off? I have several Bettinardi’s, but they have nowhere near the feel of a Cameron. The old ping putters aren’t bad, but again they are nothing like a Cameron. [/size]

[size="3"]I guarantee you, if you get a Cameron, you will never look back and also be joining a group of golfers who enjoy the absolute best of the best.[/size]

[size="3"] [/size]

[size="3"]Don’t take my word for it, did you happen to see The Open this year? After giving the Method putter from Nike a try for three agonizing days averaging over thirty putts per round. The world’s number one decided he couldn’t live without his Cameron and quickly booted the Nike and turned in a brilliant performance on the greens. If the number one player in the world and one of the greatest putters of all time, if not the greatest, decides it’s the best putter to use, why would anyone use anything different? [/size]

[quote name='tElihu' timestamp='1279891241' post='2594308']
[quote name='lucksack' timestamp='1279866152' post='2594093']
[/quote]

Best post of the thread by far.
[/quote]

I agree with this. I have been using one for 2 years now. The other day I pulled out 3 of my previous putters (all good ones but in the $100.00 range). I was shocked at the difference in feel and confidence. I bought it originally because I wanted to stop the putter merry-go-round. I wanted to have a putter I thought fit my eye the best, great quality, and something I just wanted to putt with on each hole. Turned out to be a good choice for me - so yes it was worth the money for me.

It really comes down to how YOU value the putter... I own three SCs and they all work for me in terms of the way they are weighted and how they feel with my stroke, the way they line up, and most importantly, how they perform on the course. Additionally, I like owning nice equipment (this is very relative, seeing some of the exotic collections out there), so part of the "willingness to pay" is just that I like having a well crafted putter, and I tend to like SCs in that aspect, more so than the other lines out there. I'm by no means a hardcore collector, mine are all OTR and I only buy what I can use well (just sold an Oil Can Newport that I loved the look of, but could never putt with). Of course there are cheaper alternatives out there, but I bought my first SC in 1999 and have been hooked ever since for the reasons I've outlined above.

And when I say I like nice equipment doesn't mean I only like pricey new things, I still game my original Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II and a beat up Designed by Cleveland Classics blade once in a while. :)

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

As many have said, putters are a very personal club in a persons bag. You have to love every aspect of it. So if buying a $300+ SC is what fits you best...buy it. However I feel there are many cheaper and comparable putters out there. I personally love my Odyssey WHT #9, the only thing I would replace it with would be with a Black Tour #9. Just love the look, feel, everything!

Titleist TSi2 9* - Ventus Red TR

Callaway Rogue ST Max 18*

TM SIM2 Max 22*

Titleist T200 4-GW

Vokey SM9 54*/58*

Odyssey Stroke Lab DW

If you want a Scotty and don't know about it, look in the used market. You can find some good deals and if you don't like it you can pretty much get your money back. Some people will say there's no other putter in the world and some will bash them until the day they die. Just find what feels good to you. For me it's a Cameron, for others it's something else.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Diamana DF 60X
Titleist TS3 15* w/ Diamana ZF 70X
Titleist 913h 19* w/ Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T100s 4-P w/ C-Taper Lite X
Titleist Vokey Raw 48, 54, 60 w/ S400
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat

I think SC putters have great feel.....but so do alot of others. As was said, it all comes down to what suits your eye. My take on it is that I play with guys that have been gaming the same putter for years and years. Most golfers are not going to get a new putter every year like they do a driver so buy the one you like, regardless if its a SC or an old Bullseye you found at the Goodwill. Whatever helps you get the ball in the hole.