2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

new putter honeymoon

bspencer5008

I was always a low 80's shooter with my tm fontana. Recently switched to a white ice #9 and since then my last 5 rounds have been 78, 78, 75, 79, 78. I seem to be hitting all of the 6 to 8 ft par saves. I just wanna know should I expect these results from now on or will the honeymoon wear off? What are your experiences good or bad after a putter change.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The key is to stick with one putter no matter what. You might get an occasional spark from switching putters all the time, but in the long term you're better off building a long relationship with a single putter. If you got a good putter that rolls the ball better than your last then you should expect good results every time you play.

First these are very impressive rounds. I had both actually, I had a SC Studio 2, not having the best results with it while playing in Singapore and I kept playing when I moved to Switzerland. Totally different grass but still not so good, I switched to a [size=2]MacGregor DCT FaceOff . I got some pretty good results with it. After a 3 years, I decided to have another go at the SC Studio2, and bang first round I play with it (in the South of France in January), 2 birdies and 1 eagle, it has stayed in the bag until June this year when I bought a great Bettinardi BB1. I played 4 rounds with the BB1 and I could not make anything with it, I was always short or missing right. I last played a tournament with it, I was hitting very good tee to green, I made 5 3-putts and missed a lot within 4 to 6 feet. I ended up with 39 putts. A nightmare. It seems it is a heavier putter than the Scotty and I cannot close it fast enough or something like that. I went back to the Scotty for my next round and BAM I shot 77 with this time 31 putts... I do not count the BB1 out, it might be great in a couple of years, like I had with the Scotty. [/size]
[size=2]This is also why I never sell my putters nor give them away (well except that Odyssey Two Balls I gave to my wife, just hated it, but she loves it, well except that she's giving looks to the Scotty I really don't like :-)))))[/size]
[size=2]In summary, it goes up and down, but my current streak with the Scotty has been going on for the past 8 months so, there's hope for you :D[/size]
[size=2]
[/size]

i am so sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for. but yeah i've had this. is had the odyssey white hot tour #2 and decided to switched to the scotty cameron newport 2. my first tournament, which was a week after my purchase, i was making putts every where. The tournament was in the winter and it was blistering cold, so scores were high. i made 10 ft par save, 15 ft par saves, and a bunch of bogey saves. i shot 80. 2nd place. winner was 76. usually winners shoot 72, so it was that cold.

main point, keep believing in the putter. just because the honeymoon ends, doesn't mean the love has to stop.

[quote name='danielb180' timestamp='1280240811' post='2601901']
The key is to stick with one putter no matter what. You might get an occasional spark from switching putters all the time, but in the long term you're better off building a long relationship with a single putter. If you got a good putter that rolls the ball better than your last then you should expect good results every time you play.
[/quote]

Disagree here, I rotate about 3 based on conditions and what fits my mind when I get out there. Something to be said of the honeymoon period, and if you keep switching it up, I find that the honeymoon period last longer. I believe this is the idea behind the machine converters. If the putter stops fitting eye, change the putter, and I really do think that even when the ball is rolling well, it good to switch it up now and then as well. I have also found that this switch keeps your stroke very solid as bad habits can be formed with a single putter more easily than when the head is changine.
Just my 1.5 cents
Evan,
Akron OH

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

[quote name='thegooddoctor' timestamp='1280251416' post='2602287']
[/quote]

Disagree here, I rotate about 3 based on conditions and what fits my mind when I get out there. Something to be said of the honeymoon period, and if you keep switching it up, I find that the honeymoon period last longer. I believe this is the idea behind the machine converters. If the putter stops fitting eye, change the putter, and I really do think that even when the ball is rolling well, it good to switch it up now and then as well. I have also found that this switch keeps your stroke very solid as bad habits can be formed with a single putter more easily than when the head is changine.
Just my 1.5 cents
Evan,
Akron OH
[/quote]

100% Agree. I do the same thing.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

[quote name='GARCIA STR8' timestamp='1280252333' post='2602328']
[/quote]

Just my 1.5 cents
Evan,
Akron OH
[/quote]

100% Agree. I do the same thing.
[/quote]

same here

I have about ten putters and will switch around each week. If it's a course with fast greens, I'll tend to go with an 8802 style blade, but, for the most part, it's totally random.

Some of my friends can't believe how often I switch, but what's the point of having a bunch of putters if I can't enjoy them?

Besides, my basic attitude toward putting is this.

It's the Indian, not the arrow. A decent putter can pick up anything and putt well with it. Critical to the success of good putting takes place without a putter in your hands. Green reading, feel for speed, confidence. I truly believe it doesn't matter which putter I am using and if I have an off day, that's golf and not the putter's fault.

[/quote]

Just my 1.5 cents
Evan,
Akron OH
[/quote]

Sometimes a particular putter just needs to be shown who's in charge. I put clubs in "time out" all the time. Works pretty good. It's good to have a different type of putter if for no other reason than to make your other one jealous.

[quote name='BMH' timestamp='1280775734' post='2613588']
[/quote]

Just my 1.5 cents
Evan,
Akron OH
[/quote]

Sometimes a particular putter just needs to be shown who's in charge. I put clubs in "time out" all the time. Works pretty good. It's good to have a different type of putter if for no other reason than to make your other one jealous.
[/quote]
I agree 100%. Since I cant do that with my wife, I take it out on my 50+ putters

[/quote]

Hehe, I agree, in fact I use the term "time out", when explaining this to a non putter ho, I simply say that everyone needs at least 2 putters, because if I have only one, it can misbehave as much as it wants and there are no consequences. If there are two, there is always the threat of the closet. It's kinda like "Toy Story". Hopefully Buzz gets along with the rest of the toys.

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye