Bushnell 1600 - Is it still top of the heap?

Looking to buy a laser rangefinder, and have heard from multiple sources that the Bushnell 1600 TE is the one to get. I've used a friends 1500 and really like the larger form factor, as it seems to be easier to hold steady.

Is there anything else coming down the pipe that I should be waiting for? Or is the 1600 TE it?

9.5* Callaway Rogue ST Max / MR Tensei Blue 55

15* TaylorMade SIM Ti / MR Diamana Limited FW 75

17.5* TaylorMade GAPR Hi / KBS Hybrid

21* Callaway Mavrik Max TC / MR Kuro Kage Black TiNi

5-GW Cobra Forged Tec X / KBS Tour Lite

52, 58* Ping Glide 4.0 / ZZ 115

Odyssey White Hot Sabertooth

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Section ThirtyOne' timestamp='1280370209' post='2605336']
Looking to buy a laser rangefinder, and have heard from multiple sources that the Bushnell 1600 TE is the one to get. I've used a friends 1500 and really like the larger form factor, as it seems to be easier to hold steady.

Is there anything else coming down the pipe that I should be waiting for? Or is the 1600 TE it?
[/quote]

FWIW: I bought the Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 3 years ago. I have NEVER had a single problem with it. I average 65 18 hole rounds per year and I have only changed the battery 2 times. Works perfectly. Well worth the money! :clapping:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I was a marshall at the LPGA Shop Rite Classic at Seaview in Atlantic City last month. I put in some long hours (10) and during their practice rounds, I saw almost every single group. EVERY ONE of them used a Bushnell 1500 or 1600 TE. Not one used a GPS or Leupold or Nikon or Calloway.
Granted, maybe some/most got them for free. But if they didn't trust them, they wouldn't have used them...free or not.

That's got to tell you something.

[quote name='Section ThirtyOne' timestamp='1280370209' post='2605336']

[/quote]

I like the Bushnell's for the reasons you state and have had the 1500 and now have the 1600. In terms of functionality - the 1500 is every bit as good and reliable as the 1600. I've also had the Nikon Monarch 800 and a Bushnell V1 for a short period. I like the bigger size of the 1500 and 1600 b/c the viewfinder is bigger, more magnification (easier to pick up the target) and you can hold it more steady.

One slight thing is that the 1500 battery door used to come loose every once in a while and it would fall off and the battery would fall out. Not a big deal, search and find the door, and put the battery back in and you're golden. The 1600 has a hinged door that may pop open every once in a while but the battery doesn't fall out and you don't lose the door. The 1600's soft-case pouch is nicer, but the straps don't come off (I don't wear the pouch I just keep it on the dash of the cart).

Here is my review: While the simple answer is probably yes, it is still the top

Bushnell Pro 1600 w/Slope Rangefinder

Size Does Matter

Size can be an important factor in so many different areas of life. When it comes to golf size can be a factor too. How small can our carts fold up? How much stuff can we fit in one bag? How long of a driver can we swing? How big can our putter head be? The list of items that depend on size even in golf is long. So what about a rangefinder, what is the right size?

102_1565.jpg

Bushnell continues to lead the rangefinder market as it has for years now. The Bushnell 1600 is its flagship model. It has the highest zoom and longest optical distance detection of any unit on the market. This model in some variation has been around for many years. The greatest feature of this unit is the pin seeker technology. This technology seems to focus all the laser power right on the pin every time. I only had a couple of times I needed to double shoot the flag because it missed the pin the first time and picked up the background. It is always a good idea to at least have a sense of how far it is, just in case it misses and gives you way too much yardage.

102_1566.jpg

While slope is not USGA approved for scoring rounds, it is a nice feature to have when playing recreational rounds on those extremely hilly courses. Bushnell first displays the line of sight distance, and then below shows the calculations based on the plus or minus in grade and the adjusted distance. I found these calculations to be spot on with how the holes played, but it seemed a little slow, almost like the rangefinder was calculating the difference. You have to release the pinseeker button and then it shows up. I’m not saying it was really slow, but a second or so delay seemed common. It is not a big deal, but at first I wasn’t sure if it was working properly. Once I figured out how it worked, I found it very easy to get the line of sight reading and then the adjusted reading right below.

102_1561.jpg

ClicGear 3.0 glovebox

102_1560.jpg

ClicGear 1.0 glovebox

So what about the size? There are two schools of thought on this one. Some like the larger size that takes two hands to use properly. They like the heft and size because it cancels out some of the shaky hands that some might have. On the flip side there are those that don’t care for the bulk and weight and prefer something a little lighter and a little smaller, something that can be used in one hand. (Bushnell does make a until for this too, the Bushnell Tour V2) I’m going to leave this decision up to you. In the glove box of my pushcart, the Bushnell 1600 fit fine, but pretty much filled up the whole thing.

102_1562.jpg

102_1564.jpg

102_1563.jpg

A couple details were really nice and one was a little bit of a let down. The fanny pack like case is an excellent feature for keeping the Bushnell 1600 rangefinder always at hand. I strapped it around the top of my bag and never had to take it off for riding, pushing or carrying. The waterproof shell and fog resistant optics were nice for some steamy, rainy rounds we had in Myrtle Beach. The extendable eyepiece is really nice to give the user just a little extra space between the rangefinder and their face. The only issue I had was the battery cover released all by itself more than one time during use. While it is awesome how many hours and holes of use one can get with just a 9v battery, the sliding cover that keeps that battery in and connected popped open way too easily. I want to be able to get at the battery without the use of a screwdriver, but I don’t want to look at the cover and have it pop off either. I think there is some room for improvement here. But over all this unit was solid and durable and stood up to the abuse of throwing it in the compartments of a riding cart, dropping it on the seat, tossing it in on the tee box (gently) and taking it in and out of the glove box of my push cart on for multiple rounds, it still looks and works like new.

Bushnell continues to lead the market with the Pro 1600 rangefinder, and probably will do so from some time, but they must be careful not to assume the other companies aren’t going to catch up. This model hasn’t changed much in quite a few years, so it could be time for Bushnell to get the R&D department looking into something new and better to keep their top spot in the rangefinder market.

It might be big, but it delivers excellent results finding the pin and calculating slope, hole after hole with ease.

Ended up buying a 1600, and am LOVING it.

I was able to laser a still pin at 365 yards! :good:

[quote name='DawgDaddy' timestamp='1281029696' post='2620479']
[quote name='varsityhacker' timestamp='1280409859' post='2606011']
Great review. Having said that I just bought a Leupold GX1 because I like the size better.
[/quote]

The Leupold GX1 was my choice also vh, I like the size and perferred the Leupold to the V2 as the Leupold is a 6X magnification vs. a 5X magnification.
[/quote]

UGA another wise choice! Can't wait for football to start.

Another plus for the Leupold is the reliability having talked with a few shops that carry all the brands everyone said the same thing not one had been returned for repair.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1281096464' post='2622223']
[quote name='Section ThirtyOne' timestamp='1281060769' post='2621691']
Ended up buying a 1600, and am LOVING it.

I was able to laser a still pin at 365 yards! :good:
[/quote]

Very nice!

BTW....what is your 365 yard club? :) For me it's 2 three woods and a wedge.

Congrats on your purchase - hope you like it.
[/quote]
LOL! They recently moved a bunch of holes around at a course I don't play very often, and I thought I was on a 250ish yard par 4 that they have. The holes in question are right next to each other and very similar. I lasered the flag and was like "WTF?? I must be getting the trees way behind the green." Then I looked over at the hole sign and realized that the yardage to the flag was correct. :black eye:

+1 for the 1600 Bushnell...incredibly accurate, fast, reliable, and durable.

but having said that, i also have the same problem witha that darn battery latch, has anyone come up with a simle way to solve this issue???

Callaway Epic LS 9* MMT 70s
Taylormade SIM2 Ti 5W Evenflow Riptide X

Taylormade SIM2 4H Ventus S
New Level 902 5-P TTx100 SS
Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* TTs400
Evenroll EV-2
Bridgestone B-X
Vessel

[quote name='miamigolfman' timestamp='1281506371' post='2631817']
+1 for the 1600 Bushnell...incredibly accurate, fast, reliable, and durable.

but having said that, i also have the same problem witha that darn battery latch, has anyone come up with a simle way to solve this issue???
[/quote]

Black electric tape.

Despite owning a Skycaddie SG2.5 and a Skycaddie SGX, I purchased a Bushnell 1600 with Slope earlier this year. Was always wary of Lasers due to the thought I'd never hold it steady to get a proper reading. How wrong I was, very easy to use and get a lock on the pin with. Perhaps the only thing I didn't like about the Bushnell is the Bright Orange bag to keep it in. Sticks out a mile attached to my bag. Wish I'd got a black one like in the photos above.

I got a 1600 and have had nothing but a great time with it. That is until recently. The friggin' battery door just keeps popping off. Unbelievably LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot fathom the ineptitude of the people who designed this POS of a battery latch. I thought they fixed this issue with the 1600 as many with the 1500 complained of the same thing. I mean, how hard is it? Just design something better, easier and simpler. Geez I'm so pissed off every single time it happens that I'm seriously getting ready to toss it in the lake by the 18th hole on my home course next round. Oh, and thats' after I run over it with my cart.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received my new 1600. It was a replacement for a 1500 that had been through the wars. So I get the 1600 today and it has an Orange case that (no jab at Ricky Fowler and his OU Orange) could wake the dead. Uh, what happened to basic black?

But the thing I can't for the life of me figure out.....how do your hook up this strap thing. Any instructions you can forward my way? I guess I'm just too dumb to figure it out. Good thing all I have to do is point and shoot.

And, I totally agree with the battery door issue. It can't be that hard to make a good door. Can it?

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1282591109' post='2657122']
A'ight, I'm in the market for a great deal on another BNIB 1600 Tournament Pinseeker.

My buddy who comps me free rounds had his stolen, so he now has the 1600 I just bought weeks ago. :blink:

Anyone come across a great deal post it here, pleaae. :)
[/quote]

Check out boatfix.com. They were the cheapest I found.

[quote name='Redhaze737' timestamp='1283901445' post='2684152']
Ok, I figured out the strap. You can work it around so the strap is about half the length with their contraption. Whew!

I sent an email to Bushnell to see if I could exchange the lovely Orange case for a Black one. Mentioned the shaky battery door.
[/quote]

Got a reply from Bushnell:

"I do apologize but the cases we are supplying and making for this unit are currently orange. As far as the battery door goes if you press it down and then push it towards the eyepiece it should stay in place and be secure."

So there you go. The case is Orange, uh cause everybody wants a bright orange case, and the battery door is fine. :russian_roulette:

• 3 weeks later...

1500 is better than the 1600 imop

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

[quote name='PGAMBR2007' timestamp='1284395172' post='2694114']
1600 is VERY good, but if you shake even a little bit it is hard to use. I like the Tour V2, seems a bit easier to hit the flag.
[/quote]

The more the magnification, the more the shakiness. The V2 has a 5x compared to the 1600's 7x. Kind of a trade-off. Want less shakiness, go with the 5x. Want/need more magnification, then it's the 7x.

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1280370696' post='2605351']
FWIW: I bought the Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 3 years ago. I have NEVER had a single problem with it. I average 65 18 hole rounds per year and I have only changed the battery 2 times. Works perfectly. Well worth the money! :clapping:
[/quote]

Same results for my 1500. I love it. I tried two different GPS aps for my iPhone but returned to my laser. The reason if you are interested was you are always guessing exactly where the flag is on the green and making an assumption. When you shoot the flag with a good laser you get exactly the holes measurement. I did like the GPS for layup shots though.

[quote name='Redhaze737' timestamp='1284022267' post='2686836']
[quote name='Redhaze737' timestamp='1283901445' post='2684152']
Ok, I figured out the strap. You can work it around so the strap is about half the length with their contraption. Whew!

I sent an email to Bushnell to see if I could exchange the lovely Orange case for a Black one. Mentioned the shaky battery door.
[/quote]

Got a reply from Bushnell:

"I do apologize but the cases we are supplying and making for this unit are currently orange. As far as the battery door goes if you press it down and then push it towards the eyepiece it should stay in place and be secure."

So there you go. The case is Orange, uh cause everybody wants a bright orange case, and the battery door is fine. :russian_roulette:
[/quote]

Love my Bushnell 1600 TE, except for the blaze orange case that screams "STEAL ME, STEAL ME"