ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

10 Finger Grip

mkotthoffmkotthoff All Weather is Golf WeatherAdvanced Members Posts: 1,019
Why So Much Hate?
Any reason why the 10 Finger Grip gets so much hate? I use it and I'm currently a .5 index. I just don't understand why everyone (including one of my mentors) insists on me making a grip change because it's "not a.good grip." Can anyone help me understand why everyone insists it's a awful grip?
«1

Comments

  • TourBound3617TourBound3617 Advanced Members Posts: 662
    it doesn't usually help with the hands working together. it generally prohibits free flowing turning over of the hands.



    I think. But if you like it, it works, don't change it...
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Advanced Members Posts: 4,993 ✭✭
    If you have solid results with it, then keep it !!

    For some , a conventional grip causes issues.


    Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....
  • TCMPTCMP Disguised Advanced Members Posts: 2,773
    I use a double overlap. Weird, I know. My buddies can't even make contact trying it that way.



    Moral of the story - play what works!
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Advanced Members Posts: 16,488 ✭✭
    There is no standard among the best players in the world for grip. 10 finger is an option that will work for many.
  • frank gasawayfrank gasaway Advanced Members Posts: 219
    iteachgolf wrote:


    There is no standard among the best players in the world for grip. 10 finger is an option that will work for many.






    I agree 100% .... if it makes the clubface match up go for it!
  • mkotthoffmkotthoff All Weather is Golf Weather Advanced Members Posts: 1,019
    TCMP wrote:


    I use a double overlap. Weird, I know. My buddies can't even make contact trying it that way.



    Moral of the story - play what works!






    Well I have tried the overlap, it felt wierd (different) and didn't really make it feel any more connected. Interlock, I couldn't turnit over at all. I did try double overlap and if I ever made a grip change, it would be to that.



    Anyway, I started this because, I get funny looks and borderline laughed at whenever anyone sees my grip. I don't see what's so wrong with it. I'm 15 and I've been playing baseball since I could walk and when I picked up a golf club several years ago, this is what came naturely.
  • ABgolfer2ABgolfer2 Advanced Members Posts: 2,704
    I've used the overlap grip since my third year playing (1988) but I tried the 10-finger grip on Sunday at the range - was somewhat pleased on the short irons. The baseball style 10-finger grip seemed to allow more right hand control.



    I played 18 in the evening and by #18 I was exhausted I pushed an approach into the right trap, then dropped one just for sanity's sake. Shanked it into the tree right. Then a third dead right. WTF? So anyway, I dropped 4 more balls and hit them all with the 10 finger grip. The worst of the bunch was 15 feet from the pin. This is hardly conclusive, but I might work it in for short irons. I mean, why the **** not. since I already use a different putting grip that's essentially a one grip handed with the left there just for balance and so people don't make fun of me.
    MP600
    Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
    Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
    Cleveland TA1 3-9
    Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
    Cleveland Classic 2
  • mkotthoffmkotthoff All Weather is Golf Weather Advanced Members Posts: 1,019
    I'd like to see a pic of your putting grip. I was experimenting and did something like that. Like a left handed claw of some sort?
  • Jim WaldronJim Waldron Balance Point Golf Schools Sponsors Posts: 3,201 ✭✭
    We actually recommend a ten finger grip to almost all of our students at our golf schools, it can really help in learning how to release the club properly, ie with some forearm roll. It provides more finger strength and clubface control, so good for most women and juniors and men with small hands and weak wrists and forearms. The only drawback is a lack of hand unity in the vertical dimension since with a conventional diagonal in the left palm handle position, the left index finger second knuckle becomes positioned to the left side of the handle, which tends to create less "room" for the right pinkie finger, which results in the left thumb failing to be completely covered by the right thumb pad.



    In our Power Grip, this is not an issue - since you are gripping the handle almost at a 90 degree angle to the left palm. This creates room for the right pinkie. The result is about the same degree of hand unity in the vertical dimension as a conventional grip, maybe even better for some golfers.



    I use it and will never go back to overlap or reverse overlap methods. I have seen many of our students really benefit from switching to the ten finger Power Grip. More distance and less tendency to slice the ball are usually reported. Moe Norman used a ten finger grip and the all time hole in one champ, former tour player Art Wall, used it as well.
  • MasterPMasterP Members Posts: 13
    I actually started using the 10 finger grip last year for my driver. If anything it's a reminder to me that I need to let the club release naturally, something I had a hard time doing off the tee. I still cover my left thumb with the right palm though, so not a baseball grip.



    I use the standard interlock on all of my other clubs, and reverse overlap on my putter.
  • TCMPTCMP Disguised Advanced Members Posts: 2,773
    mkotthoff wrote:








    Well I have tried the overlap, it felt wierd (different) and didn't really make it feel any more connected. Interlock, I couldn't turnit over at all. I did try double overlap and if I ever made a grip change, it would be to that.



    Anyway, I started this because, I get funny looks and borderline laughed at whenever anyone sees my grip. I don't see what's so wrong with it. I'm 15 and I've been playing baseball since I could walk and when I picked up a golf club several years ago, this is what came naturely.




    I went to the double overlap like Furyk because my right hand likes to take over in the swing and cast the golf club. This grip helps with that tendency as you only have 2 fingers and thumb of your right hand on the grip.



    I've found that the 10 finger grip works pretty well on the shorter irons for me. I just use the double overlap to keep my grip more consistent is all.
  • Matt1960Matt1960 Advanced Members Posts: 170
    I think the two handed grip was used by many up until 100 years ago or so. I am sure more recently Dai Rees, Ronan Rafferty and a few others have used it.

    I dont know why it is not more popular. I have recently switched to it with no problems.
  • JroseJrose Advanced Members Posts: 404
    I have two friends that play to low single digit handicaps that both use the ten finger grip.
  • dannymac63dannymac63 Advanced Members Posts: 154
    Another 10 finger grip player here. Not amazing, but a 14 handicap. I grew up playing a regular interlocking grip through high school. After taking 3 years off from the game, I started playing again using a 10 finger grip. It's stuck, and whenever I try to get back to the interlock or overlap I lose every bit of stability and confidence.
  • jsanatxjsanatx God Bless Texas Advanced Members Posts: 1,966 ✭✭
    i use the 10 finger grip and it feels fine, but i would like to see what the other grip styles look like. anyone have any pics of the different grips styles?
    917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
    Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
    Titleist 718 AP2s
    Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
    Vokey SM5 46*
    Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
    Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
    Vokey TVD 60*
    SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g
  • I played 10 finger all my life ... until this year. I took lessons for the first time and my instructor said to give overlap or interlock a try, not that I had to do it any way, but just give it a try. Overlap I didn't like at all, but interlock felt ok at first. I worked at it for a week at the range and found that it kept my right hand from overworking, which ended up in a much more consistenly straight ball. Before with the 10 finger I couldn't hit a draw to save my life, but now I'm having pretty good success calling one up.



    My problem has always been too strong right hand and consequently hitting either straight right or a fade/slice. The interlock has gone a long way to solve that for me ... maybe it's simply because I think about my grip more before every swing. Like everybody else has said, whatever works!
  • phil75070phil75070 Advanced Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    jsanatx wrote:


    i use the 10 finger grip and it feels fine, but i would like to see what the other grip styles look like. anyone have any pics of the different grips styles?




    http://golf.about.com/od/golftips/ss/griptypes.htm



    Pages 2, 3 and 4 have pictures of the grips.
  • phil75070phil75070 Advanced Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    I think it was in Leadbetter's Faults and Fixes book that he indicates that an interlocking grip provides less wrist action while a two-handed or 10-finger grip produces the most. An overlapping/Vardon grip would be between the two in regard to the amount of wrist action. For those who need to generate more speed and more distance, senior, juniors, women, trying the 10-finger grip may be a way to do so.
  • mayboy09mayboy09 Advanced Members Posts: 294


    We actually recommend a ten finger grip to almost all of our students at our golf schools, it can really help in learning how to release the club properly, ie with some forearm roll. It provides more finger strength and clubface control, so good for most women and juniors and men with small hands and weak wrists and forearms. The only drawback is a lack of hand unity in the vertical dimension since with a conventional diagonal in the left palm handle position, the left index finger second knuckle becomes positioned to the left side of the handle, which tends to create less "room" for the right pinkie finger, which results in the left thumb failing to be completely covered by the right thumb pad.



    In our Power Grip, this is not an issue - since you are gripping the handle almost at a 90 degree angle to the left palm. This creates room for the right pinkie. The result is about the same degree of hand unity in the vertical dimension as a conventional grip, maybe even better for some golfers.



    I use it and will never go back to overlap or reverse overlap methods. I have seen many of our students really benefit from switching to the ten finger Power Grip. More distance and less tendency to slice the ball are usually reported. Moe Norman used a ten finger grip and the all time hole in one champ, former tour player Art Wall, used it as well.




    Jim what is the Power grip? I use the ten finger and I'm a 10 handicap. My only problem is that my right pinkie finger gets a little sore from time to time like you say. Would love to try your grip to see if it helps.
  • SabakaSabaka Advanced Members Posts: 747
    I use the 10 finger for all clubs except the putter. For putting, I use the interlock. I get some looks from time to time but I have tried other grips and could never make them work.



    As the saying goes...."to each their own"!



    Play what feels natural and works best for you.
  • biomanbioman Advanced Members Posts: 697
    I used to use the 10-finger grip.  I feel like it provided a tiny bit more control, but less speed.  From my experience, I get a bit more speed and less fatigue from overlapping.
  • Tommy CanuckTommy Canuck Advanced Members Posts: 202
    bioman wrote:


    I used to use the 10-finger grip. I feel like it provided a tiny bit more control, but less speed. From my experience, I get a bit more speed and less fatigue from overlapping.




    I play the 10 finger grip and am a 2 handicap. It is the ONLY reason I have never gone for a lesson. What is the first thing they ask you at every lesson? "Show me your grip". I never wanted to change so I never took a lesson. Someone told me long ago, "if you are NOT willing to change anything, do not take lessons". The last thing you want to do is pay for lessons and than argue with the instructor because you have no intention of changing what you are currently doing. I am never going to make a living playing golf and I will never change from the 10 finger grip. I am Canadian and fought for 2 years to play left handed(my natural swing is left). Back in the late 60's, teaching pro's really tried to get everyone to play right handed. There was a huge reluctance to let anyone play left handed. I bat left in baseball, I shoot left in hockey and i played golf left handed. They instructed my Dad NOT to buy me left handed clubs because golf should be played right handed. I played for 2 years with my friends Left handed clubs and finally gave in because I wanted my own right clubs. My Dad marched me down and bought me right handed clubs and I have played right handed with a 10 finger grip since 1968.



    Just another goofy left handed Canadian playing right handed!!

    Tommy Canuck
  • ABgolfer2ABgolfer2 Advanced Members Posts: 2,704
    mkotthoff wrote:


    I'd like to see a pic of your putting grip. I was experimenting and did something like that. Like a left handed claw of some sort?






    It's like this. Try to focus on the hands.





    husker_YYXWSDMAPQLQYVS2008042818553.jpg









    Here. Let me make it easier for you.



    huskergrip3.jpg
    MP600
    Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
    Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
    Cleveland TA1 3-9
    Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
    Cleveland Classic 2
  • mozgolfmozgolf Advanced Members Posts: 3,954
    I would have glibly said that if you got to your index with 10 finger why change it. But if your getting serius coaching and they are trying to address a fault in your swing maybe there is some method in their madness.



    I have played interlocking for so long anything else just feels weird, but reading this thread has made me wonder if trying 10 finger might be worth a go... go figure
  • mkotthoffmkotthoff All Weather is Golf Weather Advanced Members Posts: 1,019
    Yeah, that's a wierd putting grip. I sometimes get a little yippy with my left hand so I might give that a shot when I'm struggling.
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    mkotthoff wrote:


    Any reason why the 10 Finger Grip gets so much hate? I use it and I'm currently a .5 index. I just don't understand why everyone (including one of my mentors) insists on me making a grip change because it's "not a.good grip." Can anyone help me understand why everyone insists it's a awful grip?






    I can't figure it out either. The only thing I can think of, is that it's been called a "baseball grip" so then it's not taken seriously. Well, it's not even close to a baseball grip, if you have it positioned properly in the fingers.



    I just switched to the 10 finger grip several days ago and so far I love it. I feel more control over the grip with all fingers clamping on it. I also have a much easier time getting my bottom hand in a "neutral" position, because I don't have to worry about keeping an interlock of overlap "intact". I tend to get strong with either of the conventional grips, otherwise I lose hold of the grip. Obviously any movement at all of your hands on the grip during a swing is the worst case scenario, so if a 10 finger grip eliminates this as it does for me so far, then it's the best grip you could use.



    One of the all time greats Jimmy Demeret went as far as to say that if he were to have started golf over, he would have used the 10 finger grip and in looking back stated that he would have recommended that most of his students use it. He called it the "full fingered grip". He talks about it in a chapter in Harvey Penick's book "The Game for a Lifetime". The chapter is called 'Jimmy would have changed his grip' and starts on page 147....



    http://books.google.com/books?id=NySgl4F6_GwC&pg=PA148&lpg=PA148&dq=jimmy+full+finger+grip&source=bl&ots=75Zo_A39VD&sig=ykbOTb8SYtHGpG4GMRm8V0x3svA&hl=en&ei=RohZTOmQEpOksQPy4rnqDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=jimmy full finger grip&f=false
  • ronyrony Advanced Members Posts: 2,250
    mkotthoff wrote:


    Any reason why the 10 Finger Grip gets so much hate? I use it and I'm currently a .5 index. I just don't understand why everyone (including one of my mentors) insists on me making a grip change because it's "not a.good grip." Can anyone help me understand why everyone insists it's a awful grip?








    It's nothing but a lot of "Bull Butter"! It gives these "Whack Job Golf Instructors" something to say to try to justify their existence. I also use a ten finger grip and, if truth be known, more golfers use it than you may think. Your grip is just like your swing. If it's comfortable, works for you, and your ball striking is good, ................Go with it and tell the "Whack Job Golf Instructors" to try to sell their "Bridge" to someone else!image/mad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' />
    Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
    G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
    Redwood Zing
    Titleist ProV1
  • AndyinthewoodsAndyinthewoods Advanced Members Posts: 126
    Why change what has obviously been working for you?
  • DFinchDFinch Advanced Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭
    10-finger here. 3.4 index. I've been as low as 1.8. Works for me. I switched to interlock for awhile but eventually came back.
    Titleist TS3 Evenflow White
    Cobra Fly Z 3W 14.5*
    Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5*
    Maltby TS-2 4-GW DG105 X-100
    Mizuno MP-T5 54*/58*
    Evnroll ER8
    Snell MTB
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    So lets have everyone describe how you postion your hands with your 10 finger grip.



    I'm using the hand and finger position that "Slicefixer" describes in his 'Encyclopedia Texarkana'. The only variation is all fingers are on the grip, with hands "packed" together relatively close so that my hands don't end up being spaced much further apart than they were with an interlock. Lifeline of the right hand is on the top/right hand side of the left thumb.



    Tell tale positive sign: hands are much less sore after a range session and the callus(sp?)rub marks that I've always hand with the interlock, are not being rubbed/irritated at all. I'm pretty excited about this grip.
  • mkotthoffmkotthoff All Weather is Golf Weather Advanced Members Posts: 1,019


    Why change what has obviously been working for you?






    I'm 15 and I've been playing for about 3 years now. I'm looking to find something that works better (aren't we all). I just don't understand why it's immediately discounted because it's "goofy." I play golf with a 10 finger grip and no glove. Why? I played baseball since I was 3 and it feels natural and I just flat out don't want to buy gloves. But that's apparently "wrong."



    I'm not at all against changing (glove or grip) if I'm given a better reason than, "Well there are only a couple of guys on tour who use the 10 finger grip and even fewer who don't use a glove."



    It's all very confusing because my mentor's issue with my grip is the fact that my right hand tend to get a bit strong and he thinks that a interlock or overlap would allow me to get a weaker grip (I play Kenny Perry style and he wants me to move to a grip that would allow me to cut the ball easier). Then my instructor feels that for me, a 10 finger grip is the way to go. The difference is my mentor doesn't believe in "eliminating a side" as my instructor does.



    Anyway, I apologize for the long rambling post, but WOW I just don't know what to do.
  • volrusvolrus Advanced Members Posts: 1,480
    Sabaka wrote:


    I use the 10 finger for all clubs except the putter. For putting, I use the interlock. I get some looks from time to time but I have tried other grips and could never make them work.



    As the saying goes...."to each their own"!



    Play what feels natural and works best for you.






    This is exactly how I do things. I'm a 5.1 index and have played with the 10 finger/baseball grip since I started playing. Like many have said already, I took my baseball grip and tweeked it for golf because that's what felt natural. I played baseball for 10 years before I got serious about golf and the 10 finger grip felt natural because of this. However, the 10 finger golf grip is pretty different from a proper baseball grip. I used to putt with a 10 finger grip also, but changed about 5 years ago in an effort to get less right hand action in my putter.
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    mkotthoff wrote:



    Why change what has obviously been working for you?






    I'm 15 and I've been playing for about 3 years now. I'm looking to find something that works better (aren't we all). I just don't understand why it's immediately discounted because it's "goofy." I play golf with a 10 finger grip and no glove. Why? I played baseball since I was 3 and it feels natural and I just flat out don't want to buy gloves. But that's apparently "wrong."



    I'm not at all against changing (glove or grip) if I'm given a better reason than, "Well there are only a couple of guys on tour who use the 10 finger grip and even fewer who don't use a glove."



    It's all very confusing because my mentor's issue with my grip is the fact that my right hand tend to get a bit strong and he thinks that a interlock or overlap would allow me to get a weaker grip (I play Kenny Perry style and he wants me to move to a grip that would allow me to cut the ball easier). Then my instructor feels that for me, a 10 finger grip is the way to go. The difference is my mentor doesn't believe in "eliminating a side" as my instructor does.



    Anyway, I apologize for the long rambling post, but WOW I just don't know what to do.




    The only reason you would need a glove is if the grip tends to move in your hands. Most benefit from the extra traction that a glove provides. Fred Couples doesn't use one.



    I disagree with your mentor. A 10 finger grip makes it easier to position your bottom hand in a more "neutral" position, because you don't have to worry about the connection of an interlock or overlap. You simply place your bottom hand wherever you want it and it's done. You probably have a "palmsy" right hand grip if you're stuggling with it being too strong. Try getting it more down in the fingers.



    BTW, for me, a 10 finger grip is easier to play a cut with. It seems to take out some extra right hand involvement.
  • i play to a 7 with a 10-fingered grip. i started golfing with an interlock but once i tried the 10-finger everything else felt loose and compromised.



    i do think it frees up the right hand to turn over more easily, this can be a good or bad thing depending on your shot pattern.
  • Until tonight, I have been using a ten-finger grip. Just got back from the driving range where I was trying out a new 2-hybrid club with a stiff-flex shaft. Most of my other clubs are regular flex (including a 3 and 4 hybrid), but I thought I'd try out a stiff-flex and see what happens.



    Well, sure enough, my shots were hooking (where I almost always slice) due to the fact that my swing speed was not fast enough. Disappointed and frustrated, but not ready to give up on my beautiful new 2-hybrid, I decided to try an interlock grip.



    WHOA.



    The interlock grip, in my view, helped me to loosen my grip tremendously. By relaxing the muscles in my wrist/forearms/etc. more than I did with a ten-finger grip, my swing speed increased dramatically. The 2-hybrid was carrying just under 250 yards straight as an arrow multiple times in a row.



    When I tried out my other irons, the results were great. While I do (psychologically) feel I have more "control" with a ten-finger grip, I believe most experienced golfers who recommend an interlock will say to "Let go, Luke" and trust that the club: (1) won't go flying out of your hands; (2) will travel faster; and (3) will contact the ball just fine if your swing and body mechanics are good.



    I am just starting out in the wonderful (and addictive) world of golf. No flames, please. These are just my observations and experience, which could very well be completely wrong.



  • sxc245sxc245 Advanced Members Posts: 102
    Yes, i've noticed that a 10 finger grip causes problems for me. My hands are too active. Thinking about switching to interlocking during the winter. Great time to work on the grip.
  • jbird6165jbird6165 Members Posts: 9
    Just came across this post...



    I just switched to a 10 finger grip on my putter and my wedges and any shot I need to "control". I find that I don't have as much club head speed (although I haven't tried to hit a full shot with this grip yet) but what I gained in control and also added spin, due to the fact that I am able to pinch the ball better, is more than enough to justify using my 10 finger. I was having issues hitting the low flight high spin spots with my 60 degree I was leaving the club open through impact due to the hands traveling so fast through impact the clubhead can't catch up. Well I switched to the 10 finger and now I feel like I have all the control of the club face all in the right hand. With my normal Vardon grip I feel a lot of pressure in the inside of my right wrist through impact but with the 10 finger I feel the lag in my fingers... anyways, I gained a lot of control with my wedges switching to the 10 finger.



    Good luck.



    And to answer your question... I can't figure out why instructors don't like the 10 finger. To many instructors try to put everyone in the same **** box and golf is definitely played outside the box.
  • xmanhockey7xmanhockey7 Advanced Members Posts: 296
    I used the 10 finger grip around the green but outside of that I interlock. Been doing it since I started seriously getting into golf when I was about 11. Dad made me grip that way and I've never changed.
  • YMarkYMark Advanced Members Posts: 1,530 ✭✭


    I used the 10 finger grip around the green but outside of that I interlock. Been doing it since I started seriously getting into golf when I was about 11. Dad made me grip that way and I've never changed.


    I'm the same way. 10 finger around the green, only I use the Vardon on full shots.
    Mark
    Havin fun in the AZ sun
  • Catfan38Catfan38 Advanced Members Posts: 98
    edited February 2015
    Cwebb wrote:


    So lets have everyone describe how you postion your hands with your 10 finger grip.



    I'm using the hand and finger position that "Slicefixer" describes in his 'Encyclopedia Texarkana'. The only variation is all fingers are on the grip, with hands "packed" together relatively close so that my hands don't end up being spaced much further apart than they were with an interlock. Lifeline of the right hand is on the top/right hand side of the left thumb.



    Tell tale positive sign: hands are much less sore after a range session and the callus(sp?)rub marks that I've always hand with the interlock, are not being rubbed/irritated at all. I'm pretty excited about this grip.




    So how do you guys hold your 10 finger grip? Searching the web some have their left thumb extended down the shaft in the right hand palm. Others go straight baseball style. Which is correct?
  • Stuart G.Stuart G. Members, Advanced Members Posts: 22,658 ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I don't think there really is any "correct" way - but for my 10 finger grip, the left (lead) hand grip is identical to what you'd see with a typical varden or interlock grip - only the right hand is different.
  • CwebbCwebb Advanced Members Posts: 5,847 ✭✭
    Catfan38 wrote:




    So how do you guys hold your 10 finger grip? Searching the web some have their left thumb extended down the shaft in the right hand palm. Others go straight baseball style. Which is correct?




    True "baseball style" is an absolute no go for anyone who is serious about golf. A good 10 finger grip is not a baseball grip by any stretch of the imagination.



    I still place the grip in my hands the same way I did, when I started using it...as outlined above
  • mlien1105mlien1105 Advanced Members Posts: 157
    I played an interlock grip for a long time and about 2 years ago I switched to a 10 finger grip because I was missing right too much. Changed my game, I am a low single digit handicapper and I am a believer that it will add distance for everyone except very accomplished players. My uncle who has always helped me with my game, and is a golf instructor and carries a 0 HCP into his mid 60s has switched to it and has stated that he would have used it his whole life if he could go back. Feels very sturdy and powerful. You will hit the occasional nasty hook but that nasty hook is packing some serious ball speed so it is actually kind of a satisfying miss.
    2017 Taylor Made M2 Adila Rogue Black 70 X
    Titleist 917F2 Motore Speeder TS 8.2X
    Titleist 718 T-mb 3 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD-Di 95X
    Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron Dynamic Gold X100
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-P Dynamic Gold X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.12D
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Advanced Members Posts: 907 ✭✭
    I switched to 10 finger because interlocking hurts my pinky and index finger that are interlocked. I'm sure it's some swing fault i have but after switching to 10 finger I don't feel like it's any different performance wise.
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

    Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • djcoolaid1914djcoolaid1914 Advanced Members Posts: 105
    I've used the 10 finger grip since I started playing. I've had instructors try to get me to switch but I don't feel the same control of the club with the change.

    Like they say if it's not broke don't fix it.
  • MitchellGolfingMitchellGolfing Advanced Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    I just recently switched back to the ten finger grip. I started out using it, and tried interlock and overlap over the last year and just wasn't for me. Baseball is my first love so maybe that's why I like the grip so much better.
    Callaway Xr 9* set to 11*, Project X 6.0
    Adams Tightlies 16*,Stock stiff
    Wilson Reflex 4-G Uniflex stock steel
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 54/58* Wedge flex
    Ping Anser 33” Superstroke 3.0
  • WILDTHINGWILDTHING Banned Posts: 621
    From a physics standpoint , a 10 finger grip is slightly more powerful because your lower hand is closer to the COG of the club and further away from the fulcrum point (bottom side of your upper hand). Therefore its like using a 'set' force further away from the fulcrum point of a lever and creating a larger turning 'Moment' (ie. Turning Moment = Force x distance from fulcrum).



    This extra turning moment (Torque) with a 10 finger right hand grip can provide extra help to rotate your left forearm to square the clubface in the late downswing (especially if you haven't got very strong forearms).
  • boon44boon44 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 956 ClubWRX
    edited March 2017
    WILDTHING wrote:


    From a physics standpoint , a 10 finger grip is slightly more powerful because your lower hand is closer to the COG of the club and further away from the fulcrum point (bottom side of your upper hand). Therefore its like using a 'set' force further away from the fulcrum point of a lever and creating a larger turning 'Moment' (ie. Turning Moment = Force x distance from fulcrum).



    This extra turning moment (Torque) with a 10 finger right hand grip can provide extra help to rotate your left forearm to square the clubface in the late downswing (especially if you haven't got very strong forearms).




    Reading this while wondering if putting Nutella on a Pop-Tart is a stellar idea.........
  • Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    I use the 10 finger grip. It's the only grip that feels comfortable. I used a interlocking grip until last year.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • SomedayScratchSomedayScratch Advanced Members Posts: 534
    mkotthoff wrote:


    Any reason why the 10 Finger Grip gets so much hate? I use it and I'm currently a .5 index. I just don't understand why everyone (including one of my mentors) insists on me making a grip change because it's "not a.good grip." Can anyone help me understand why everyone insists it's a awful grip?




    Everyone will probably say, "well no pros have a 10 finger grip, they all interlock or overlap, so if you want to get any better, you have to change."



    Well Jonathan Vegas and Scott Piercy, both PGA players, use the 10 finger grip... which means its possible to be world class with your grip. Keep what works. I've even considered going to a 10 finger grip myself image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.