ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

10 Finger Grip

2»

Comments

• madlife5madlife5 Advanced Members Posts: 416 ✭✭
    I've been experimenting with this full fingered grip and based on what I've seen on SkyTrak over this winter's swing work, I believe its here to stay. Longer, straighter, more consistent.

I want to call on instructors (Mr. Waldron??)) on here to please provide some guidance/provide checkpoints to ensure those of us using this are doing this correctly. Right now, my two thoughts with this grip are :

1. Long left thumb

2. Pressure Point #3 (knuckle of right index finger pressed firmly into the shaft at 3 O'clock.
  • Jim WaldronJim Waldron Balance Point Golf Schools Sponsors Posts: 3,201 ✭✭
    madlife5 wrote:

I've been experimenting with this full fingered grip and based on what I've seen on SkyTrak over this winter's swing work, I believe its here to stay. Longer, straighter, more consistent.

I want to call on instructors (Mr. Waldron??)) on here to please provide some guidance/provide checkpoints to ensure those of us using this are doing this correctly. Right now, my two thoughts with this grip are :

1. Long left thumb

2. Pressure Point #3 (knuckle of right index finger pressed firmly into the shaft at 3 O'clock.

Ten fingered just one aspect of what I call the Power Grip. Long left thumb is one of the keys for sure. Gripping in lead hand in the fingers and not in the palm is another. So is a 90 degree angle of handle to the palm or a slight diagonal of no more than ten degrees. The "Hook" or "Trigger" configuration of the trail hand index finger with a gap of about 1/4 inch or a bit more is another.
  • WILDTHINGWILDTHING Banned Posts: 621
    edited April 2017
    10 fingers on the club means greater traction which also means you can apply less grip pressure when swinging a club a certain speed (than if you had 9 fingers on the grip).

PS.

A TGM proponent has replied back to me saying the below:

In a TGM swinger (which is the swing technique used by the majority of pro golfers), the right hand should only apply push-pressure above the coupling point at PP#1. By adopting a Vardon grip (or interlocking grip) rather than the baseball grip, the right hand can ride higher up the grip so that the base of the right palm can apply maximum pressure against the base of the left thumb at PP#1. If a golfer uses a baseball grip, most of the right hand's push-pressure will be applied below the coupling point, and this will predispose to flipping. I personally think that a baseball grip is only suitable for TGM hitters.
  • DuffmeisterDuffmeister Advanced Members Posts: 129
    WILDTHING wrote:

10 fingers on the club means greater traction which also means you can apply less grip pressure when swinging a club a certain speed (than if you had 9 fingers on the grip).

PS.

A TGM proponent has replied back to me saying the below:

In a TGM swinger (which is the swing technique used by the majority of pro golfers), the right hand should only apply push-pressure above the coupling point at PP#1. By adopting a Vardon grip (or interlocking grip) rather than the baseball grip, the right hand can ride higher up the grip so that the base of the right palm can apply maximum pressure against the base of the left thumb at PP#1. If a golfer uses a baseball grip, most of the right hand's push-pressure will be applied below the coupling point, and this will predispose to flipping. I personally think that a baseball grip is only suitable for TGM hitters.

Nothing wrong with a 10 finger grip, I've played pretty decent golf over several years with all 10 fingers on the grip.

It works great for those that create power with their arms, hands, wrists and upper body, provided that you place fingers properly where the hands don't interfere with each other.

Having said that, I now prefer the overlap (Vardon) because it provides a bit more control and power with less effort for my swing.
  • PJ72PJ72 Advanced Members Posts: 1,924 ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    iteachgolf wrote:
    There is no standard among the best players in the world for grip. 10 finger is an option that will work for many.

Dan, do you encounter many baseball grips amongst your elite ballstriking students? I'm just curious.

• madlife5madlife5 Advanced Members Posts: 416 ✭✭

madlife5 wrote:

1. Long left thumb

Ten fingered just one aspect of what I call the Power Grip. Long left thumb is one of the keys for sure. Gripping in lead hand in the fingers and not in the palm is another. So is a 90 degree angle of handle to the palm or a slight diagonal of no more than ten degrees. The "Hook" or "Trigger" configuration of the trail hand index finger with a gap of about 1/4 inch or a bit more is another.
    Thank you, Jim!
  • DevilDogDevilDog Advanced Members Posts: 1,811
    Back in the day, ALL golfers used a 10 finger grip. Harry Vardon, the grip that carries his name, used the overlap to combat hooking the ball. I know some very good players, 0 handicaps, that use a 10 finger. One of those things in golf that is a personal preference.
  • KingMike KingMike Advanced Members Posts: 408
    While I like the enhanced trailing hand (right for me) contact of the interlock, my right pinky would eventually start to scream. Played a few years with the Vardon and had some good rounds, but nothing felt as natural as the 10 finger. Threw in the towel and have been using it the last few seasons and am totally happy with the results. I've found that once I settled on the comfortable 10 finger, I could begin tweaking other areas to achieve desired launch, trajectories, accuracy, whatever.

And while I did fear the snap hook long ago, it hardly ever creeps in now. Keep it simple and enjoy the game is my advice.
    TM R11 8.5 Fuji Blur 60s
    TM 320i 9.5 Prolite 35s
    Callaway XR hybrid 3s, 5r
    Tommy Armour V25's s300 4-P
    Vokey 52, Mizuno JPX 56
    Cleveland Classic 5.5 cs
  • WILDTHINGWILDTHING Banned Posts: 621
    edited April 2017
    I've been experimenting on the range today and the 10 finger grip seems to give me more stability through impact. If one has small hands/fingers, the Vardon grip just feels wrong. My right pinkie finger is not long enough for the first joint (nearest its knuckle) to curl and clamp around the left forefinger first joint (above its knuckle). And when I try and get that pinkie to wrap around that forefinger properly, the whole right hand has to rotate around a bit. This means that the pad of my right thumb can't cover and press down properly over my left thumb. It makes the whole grip feel insecure with gaps between the club shaft and hands whereas it should feel like plasticine with any air gaps squeezed out. Also , by forcing my right hand to rotate around a bit , I don't get that feeling of the clubface matching the orientation of my right palm through impact.

I've posted this 'you tube' video on another thread but here it is again showing how massive Vardon's hands were, especially his fingers, so it made sense for him to wrap his pinkie finger around his forefinger. But if you have small hands/fingers , it just doesn't seem right from a biomechanical perspective to copy that grip unless you have very thin golf grips.

[media]

So imho, having a 10 finger grip increase surface area contact between your hands/fingers on the grip, therefore improves traction which means exerting less pressure (which could limit tension in the hands/wrists/forearms).
  • Lefty431Lefty431 Advanced Members Posts: 1,061 ✭✭
    For some reason when I use 10 finger grip it allows me to keep my right wrist flat (left handed golfer) which keeps my club face square to my target line. When I play my usual overlap, for some reason i tend to cup (open) my face to the target line! It's harder (more uncomfortable) to keep my face square when doing the overlap. I have no idea why! But I have been experimenting with it? Maybe my forearms are weak or not enough movement in my joints? I don't know??

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
    Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
    or Taylormade gapr lo 2 iron w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
    Irons: Taylormade p790 4-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke
  • IamMarkMacIamMarkMac Advanced Members Posts: 519 ✭✭
    I went from overlap to baseball because I wanted to emulate my 2 handed tennis grip. I found that since the grip was thin, there was a lot of independent movement with left and right hand. I’ve landed on a 10 finger interlock (baseball but lock left index with right pinky) which I feel gives me the power I want and keeps the hands in one unit.
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Ping G400 3W 14.5
    Ping G400 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58
    Bettinardi BB1
  • MPSgolfsMPSgolfs Members Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I have smallish hands with short fingers. If you've ever seen Jack's handprints in Golf My Way, my hands match up almost perfectly (except my pinkie is shorter).

I used interlock for my first stretch as a golfer (10 y/o - 18 y/o). Since returning to the game last year, at 34, I've gravitated to the 10 finger grip. I had been playing around with it on the range. Then, a few months ago, I bought a set of irons with midsize grips, pushing me to adopt it full time.

Now I use the ten finger on all clubs. With my old grip, I was experiencing pain in my right pinkie pretty consistently. It's gone. I also feel tremendous control and stability over the club face. I shot a +1, 37 on the back 9 yesterday, my lowest 9 ever. My handicap is down from 14 to 11 in that time. I can't foresee a scenario in which I'd leave this grip. But golf is a strange game.
  • BigEx44BigEx44 Advanced Members Posts: 244 ✭✭
    I'm a 10 finger guy all the way. Have never been able to make the other grips work.
  • davidyou48davidyou48 Members Posts: 7
    Used 10 finger grip for many years, went to interlock about 10 years ago for more control. Yesterday stimulated by this thread went back to 10 finger for 9 holes and playing in half a gale found more control. Compared to interlock it does feel as though I'm "subduing" the potential extra in my right hand, 10 finger releases this. My main sport is squash so I'm very right hand oriented anyway. Going to persevere !
  • BiggErnBiggErn Advanced Members Posts: 2,001 ✭✭
    I’ve interlocked for periods then went to overlap and then back to interlock which is what I’ve been using for the past 3 or so years. Just goofing  around with 10 finger on the mat indoors and hit some solid shots so my last round I was like what the heck. I have hit shots with 10 finger before but it was more or less just messing around. Anyway I hadn’t played in about a month due to lots of rain but this past Sunday we got one in. I got there a bit early and hit some balls on the range and for the most part I was striking the ball much better with my irons. The driver and short game was a bit more so so but irons were pure. Long story short I hit a number of lasers with my irons throughout the round and feel I’m gonna at least devote the near future to using this grip. Like I said the driver and short game may need a bit more polishing but hopefully it will come around to where the iron play went immediately. 
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Advanced Members Posts: 233 ✭✭

I'm a 10 finger grip user for most of my golfing life. Started interlock, then switched back and forth with 10 finger and ultimately settling on 10 finger. Overlap was always an immediate no for me. I do experiment interlock in my driver and 3 wood, but would not change with my irons or wedges.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.0° w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Callaway XR16 3w 15° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 
    Taylormade p790 3i 18° w/ DG S300
    Mizuno MP-54 4i-PW w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9 w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 56°/10 w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 60°/6 w/ DG S300
    Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Putter
    Srixon Z-Star/Q-Star Tour golf balls
  • T.B.T.B. Advanced Members Posts: 88 ✭✭

Been experimenting With the 10 finger grip. Had some range time and worked on my short game with it. I just played 18 using it. 1st Time out this year so wasn’t expecting much to begin with. Hit the driver extremely well. Going to play again this week and going to continue to use it. Does seem I have a little extra power with the driver and control in short irons

2»