New Nike Tour golf ball--RZN

liketogolf

Anyone know anything about this
Introducing the New NIKE Golf Ball! Code Name PROTOTYPE RZN.

The key to this golf ball is the new material used in the CORE. This ball uses a resin material in the core and is the first ball in 10 years to be made of something other than solid rubber. This will change the way golf balls are made in the future and is a huge jump in technology. With a lighter core, more weight can be moved to the perimeter which actually produces a more forgiving golf ball. The lightweight new material also produces much faster ball speeds. My spin on the ball is this...

This is the first ball I feel has ever changed the way a shot felt when coming off the face. It wasn't the club. It was the ball. I noticed a hotter feel off the driver and an incredible soft feel around green. The light core really gives this ball a new and interesting feel. Nothing on the market even compares. Even when the golf ball is in your hand, you can feel that the cover is much softer and the ball feels overall lighter.

The three key points of this new ball are:

Faster ball speeds - Average of 3 mph

Highest MOI ever for a golf Ball - More Forgiving and tighter shot dispersion

Steeper Spin Slope (relationship of Driver spin to wedge spin) - 150 rpm less driver spin and 300 rpm more wedge spin than the Nike One Tour (an already high spinnig ball).

This Balls REAL name will be revealed in November and the Ball will hit the streets in February!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='liketogolf' timestamp='1283433223' post='2675281']
Introducing the New NIKE Golf Ball! Code Name PROTOTYPE RZN.

The key to this golf ball is the new material used in the CORE. This ball uses a resin material in the core and is the first ball in 10 years to be made of something other than solid rubber. This will change the way golf balls are made in the future and is a huge jump in technology. With a lighter core, more weight can be moved to the perimeter which actually produces a more forgiving golf ball. The lightweight new material also produces much faster ball speeds. My spin on the ball is this...

This is the first ball I feel has ever changed the way a shot felt when coming off the face. It wasn't the club. It was the ball. I noticed a hotter feel off the driver and an incredible soft feel around green. The light core really gives this ball a new and interesting feel. Nothing on the market even compares. Even when the golf ball is in your hand, you can feel that the cover is much softer and the ball feels overall lighter.

The three key points of this new ball are:

Faster ball speeds - Average of 3 mph

Highest MOI ever for a golf Ball - More Forgiving and tighter shot dispersion

Steeper Spin Slope (relationship of Driver spin to wedge spin) - 150 rpm less driver spin and 300 rpm more wedge spin than the Nike One Tour (an already high spinnig ball).

This Balls REAL name will be revealed in November and the Ball will hit the streets in February!
[/quote]

Very interesting news, although things like this make me believe that the powers that be are going to try to reign in the golf ball in coming years. Good info though.

I have a few and they seem to be shorter off the driver and irons. Softest ball I have ever hit, with crazy spin around the greens. Almost too soft. Not much feel off the putter. If you have non conforming grooves be ready to cut balls up a lot. This was just based off of 9 holes though.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

[quote name='luxman' timestamp='1283435689' post='2675346']
[quote name='03trdblack' timestamp='1283435375' post='2675338']
Does RZN = Raisin? Great prototype name. :D
[/quote]

I was thinking RZN = Reason
[/quote]
RZN = Resin

The ball is still in testing and it's not in production yet so they can make changes based off the input of the pros and a few normal folks to see what they think. The Nike rep handed a couple sleeves out in the shop for us to try. Feels soft off the putter but nothing earth shattering. I can tell you it feels firmer just by handling it. Will post a report on the ball later...I hope! :D

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Just spoke with my rep about this ball...I'll be doing the same equipment review within the next couple of weeks.

As far as the name goes, the reps don't even know the scoop! Should be a big unveiling!

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000]Titleist TS3 10.5[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist TS3 13.5[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Aldila NV 95 x-flex[/color]--[color=#000000]-Titleist TS3 18.0[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #3[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]--[color=#000000]-Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Newport II[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g.[/color] [color=#000000]welded neck[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist ProV1x[/color][/b][/font][/size]

I dont know if there are any Physics buffs reading this but wouldnt having more weight on the exterior increase overall spin? Laws of centripetal force states that increased mass would increase the force; although I am not sure if it applies in this situation...?? Can any Physics Whiz help understand how/why this ball works as stated?

So you can't feel the difference between a pinnacle and a ProV1 off the face?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='LightningSTL26' timestamp='1283443222' post='2675578']
I dont know if there are any Physics buffs reading this but wouldnt having more weight on the exterior increase overall spin? Laws of centripetal force states that increased mass would increase the force; although I am not sure if it applies in this situation...?? Can any Physics Whiz help understand how/why this ball works as stated?
[/quote]

You're missing half of the equation. It's indirectly proportional to the radius. Moving mass away from the center decreases it. I'm no whiz by any stretch so I don't get too wrapped in the physics. I'm sure Rock knows what he's talking about.

[/quote]

Think vertically. Imagine you have a ball that is a heavy golf ball exterior but HOLLOW on the inside (but for this purpose it will compress like a normal ball). Hit it with a driver and imagine the outcome, then hit it with a wedge and do the same. This is the principle mentioned on the OP about vertical spin. Because a golf club is lofted vertically, the ball will tend toward forward and backspin and resist sidespin much like a gyro because of the angle of attack...the dominant plane will take over almost completely...causing nearly all the spin to be on the Y axis (forward/backspin) and not the X axis (side spin).

Its just a theory...but to me it sounds like a ball that isn't very workable. What If I WANT to play a draw, or slice something around a tree thats in my way?

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1283452694' post='2675887']
[quote name='crazyhairjake' timestamp='1283451337' post='2675840']
I just got a sleeve and can't wait to try it out! Here's a couple of pics to share.
[/quote]
Those would go for some major bank on the bay...
[/quote]

No way dude. What I am going to do is take a pic with a Tour and Tour D to show the dimples for Sarge.

[quote name='mussgolf' timestamp='1283458968' post='2676064']
is it the angle of the camera or is that golf ball smaller?
[/quote]

I'm using a blackberry cell phone camera so it's probably not the best quality picture. I do have a pair of calipers that I can use to measure them with when I get home in case you are curious...

[quote name='justaman5' timestamp='1283463339' post='2676193']
going back to something along the lines of balata technolgy. old balata balls had big ole dimples like that. my favorite ball of all time. the Titleist 90 compression low trac

balata golf balls had a liquid center, making them lighter on the inside than the outside.
[/quote]

My teacher gave me 1 or 2 of the 90's, I can't stand going back to anything else now. By far the softest feeling thing I've ever hit.

Kinda surprised it's taken this long for a manufacter to go to a lighter core and heavier mantle.

I putted with this and I liked the feel. Another benefit to this tech would be a straighter roll off the putter. At least that is what I noticed. I always preferred the Vapors due to the distance I lost with Tour. The Tour D is a nice ball.

The process of making it is simpler too so the balls will be incredibly uniform. I'm really looking forward to this!

[quote name='sarge' timestamp='1283451026' post='2675827']
[/quote]

Think vertically. Imagine you have a ball that is a heavy golf ball exterior but HOLLOW on the inside (but for this purpose it will compress like a normal ball). Hit it with a driver and imagine the outcome, then hit it with a wedge and do the same. This is the principle mentioned on the OP about vertical spin. Because a golf club is lofted vertically, the ball will tend toward forward and backspin and resist sidespin much like a gyro because of the angle of attack...the dominant plane will take over almost completely...causing nearly all the spin to be on the Y axis (forward/backspin) and not the X axis (side spin).

[/quote]

My head just exploded

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options