2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Trispeed Tour vs. Gamer V2

MadGolfer76

opinions needed
Need a good Fall season ball. Current ball is the Callaway i(s). Driver ss is around 108-112, but iron ss is usually mid to low 90's as I gear down quite a bit. My handicap is right around 7 now, which is somewhat high for me. I am just not playing as much now that I am teaching, and am tired of firing premium balls into the junk on a bad swing. I have heard good things about the TriSpeed Tour and the V2, but wanted more input comparing the two before purchasing.

I am basically looking for a less expensive ball with at least enough spin to stay close to where it came down. I don't have any problems spinning the ball on full or partial wedge swings. Since I can partially back up range balls with a good swing, I don't think a reasonable loss of spin will bother me too much. I tried the AD333 once and, while I thought it was a nice ball, it flew too high off the driver for me and I didn't feel I could control it. Does one of these balls fly lower than the other?

Any opinions/alternate suggestions are welcome so long as they don't involve Nike. Nothing personal, just business.

Thanks in advance.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='xxio' timestamp='1286775003' post='2737641']
V2 spins a bit more than the TST of full shots and noticeably more on chip shots. v2 still runs out a bit.

Covers on both are quite durable.
[/quote]

Thanks! Anyone else have opinions?

Titleist ProV1x

My driver swing speed and ball flight characterictis are close enough to yours that my experiance maybe relevent (I am a high ball hitter that can hold the green with any ball on full iron shots). With that said, most of my experiance with the Trispeed is with the original model released in 2007 with only nine or so holes played with the 2010 Trispeed Tour so take some of my comments with a grain of salt.

Trispeed Tour - I like softer feeling balls and have never been concerned about hitting the "bounce once and check" approach pitch shot, so I thought the original Trispeed would be the perfect ball. At least with my swing, I ended up with a ball flight that was short off the driver and long irons (ballooned and dropped like a rock) and not particularly accurate (never kept it in the fairway). Holding greens on full iron shots was not a problem but I found the Trispeed to have the least amount of spin on chip and other touch shots of any ball I currently play (TM Red, TF Gamer V2 and TF D2 Feel). Out of curiousity, I picked up a sleeve of Trispeed Tours this summer and was determined to give them a try for 18 holes. After nine holes, I gave them to my son...although they had more spin than the original Trispeed on full and partial iron shots, they were just as high and short off the driver and not as accurate as I would expect for a ball designed to produce "low spin" off a driver. Frankly, I was pretty surprised at my results since Srixon makes some great products and several members of my extended family swear by the AD333. As always YMMV.

TF GamerV2 - Bottom line...this is now my everyday ball. Since I am down to my last couple of dozen of TP Reds, I've been searching for an everyday replacement this summer. There is just something about the GamerV2 that fits my game: very staight, driver ball flight is higher than I like, but it just seems to carry forever, controllable ball flight off long and short irons, soft feel off the putter and it spins enough for my needs on partial touch shots and chips. Is it as good as my beloved TP Red in the wind and holding rock hard greens when you are short sided? No, but it's a great ball and at $19.95 per dozen it is certainly "good enough" for my needs. I have not played the GamerV2 in cold weather yet (it's been a great fall in Minnesota so far) so I don't have any experiance in that particular area.

Since you are looking for a cold weather/fall ball, I would also sugguest you look at the Topflite D2 Feel. At the recommendation of my pro, I started using this ball last fall and used it right up until snow forced the closure of the coarse. It's a good ball anytime of the year, but in the fall/winter when the temperature dips into 60s and below, it really shines: good distance, nice and soft off of all clubs and a straight medium/high ball flight. Not a ball you can really work left or right, but hey it's fall...who really cares at this point. At $1/ball retail it also prevents a great deal of aggrivation when you can't find your ball in the center of a leaf filled fairway or a couple of yards into the rough that has not been mowed in several weeks.

Best wishes, Paul

[quote name='Creekview' timestamp='1286843335' post='2738740']
My driver swing speed and ball flight characterictis are close enough to yours that my experiance maybe relevent (I am a high ball hitter that can hold the green with any ball on full iron shots). With that said, most of my experiance with the Trispeed is with the original model released in 2007 with only nine or so holes played with the 2010 Trispeed Tour so take some of my comments with a grain of salt.

Trispeed Tour - I like softer feeling balls and have never been concerned about hitting the "bounce once and check" approach pitch shot, so I thought the original Trispeed would be the perfect ball. At least with my swing, I ended up with a ball flight that was short off the driver and long irons (ballooned and dropped like a rock) and not particularly accurate (never kept it in the fairway). Holding greens on full iron shots was not a problem but I found the Trispeed to have the least amount of spin on chip and other touch shots of any ball I currently play (TM Red, TF Gamer V2 and TF D2 Feel). Out of curiousity, I picked up a sleeve of Trispeed Tours this summer and was determined to give them a try for 18 holes. After nine holes, I gave them to my son...although they had more spin than the original Trispeed on full and partial iron shots, they were just as high and short off the driver and not as accurate as I would expect for a ball designed to produce "low spin" off a driver. Frankly, I was pretty surprised at my results since Srixon makes some great products and several members of my extended family swear by the AD333. As always YMMV.

TF GamerV2 - Bottom line...this is now my everyday ball. Since I am down to my last couple of dozen of TP Reds, I've been searching for an everyday replacement this summer. There is just something about the GamerV2 that fits my game: very staight, driver ball flight is higher than I like, but it just seems to carry forever, controllable ball flight off long and short irons, soft feel off the putter and it spins enough for my needs on partial touch shots and chips. Is it as good as my beloved TP Red in the wind and holding rock hard greens when you are short sided? No, but it's a great ball and at $19.95 per dozen it is certainly "good enough" for my needs. I have not played the GamerV2 in cold weather yet (it's been a great fall in Minnesota so far) so I don't have any experiance in that particular area.

Since you are looking for a cold weather/fall ball, I would also sugguest you look at the Topflite D2 Feel. At the recommendation of my pro, I started using this ball last fall and used it right up until snow forced the closure of the coarse. It's a good ball anytime of the year, but in the fall/winter when the temperature dips into 60s and below, it really shines: good distance, nice and soft off of all clubs and a straight medium/high ball flight. Not a ball you can really work left or right, but hey it's fall...who really cares at this point. At $1/ball retail it also prevents a great deal of aggrivation when you can't find your ball in the center of a leaf filled fairway or a couple of yards into the rough that has not been mowed in several weeks.

Best wishes, Paul
[/quote]

Wow. Thanks Paul! I know what you are talking about with the Fall weather. I am in WI and it has been really nice here. I went out and bought a sleeve of V2's, E7's, E6's and TST's. I'll give them a test shortly. Was tempted by the E5's but there are only so many you can test at a time, right? Again, many thanks!

Titleist ProV1x

If you want any spin I would stay away from the e7. Long ball but spins less than a range ball in my experience. The e6 is nothing special, I have no idea why it I so special. The e5 is a great ball and the only normal priced urethane ball under $30. I lost distance off the tee with the e5 though.

Never tried the gamer v2, but found the original to be pretty lacking. Just disnt live up to the hype.

The trispeed tour has to be the highest spinning surlyn ball I have ever tried. I found it to be shorter than my normal nxt tour. I would give the nxt tour and tm burner tp a try as well.

I play the b330s with a driver swing speed of 105 and I hit a 7 iron 150yds..... I tried the tri speed tours because I got a free sleeve from Golf Galaxy, and I loved it. It have me a boring rising ball flight and say and spun back on the green with my wedges. I haven't hit the gamer 2, but I've been wanting too. The other ball I play when its not my 330s is the e6, but it has to be this years e6. Have me straight long drives and I was pleasantly surprised at how much it spun my short game I'd the best part of my game and the e6 and TST will be what I play until april.

[quote]Wow. Thanks Paul! I know what you are talking about with the Fall weather. I am in WI and it has been really nice here. I went out and bought a sleeve of V2's, E7's, E6's and TST's. I'll give them a test shortly. Was tempted by the E5's but there are only so many you can test at a time, right? Again, many thanks![/quote]

You are right that you can only test so many at one time. With more companies making quality balls, ever expanding product lines and product updates every year or so, there are almost too many choices. The funny thing is that once you find a ball you like, you need to buy a bunch before it is discountinued or the "new and improved" version is released. When trying a new ball, I used to buy a dozen or two to ensure I played it in a wide variety of conditions (including my own swing quality over a couple of rounds) but have moved to your appoach of buying a couple of sleeves of the best candidates and seeing which one works the best. This year, I stopped once I found the GamerV2, but I know there are alot of good options out there. I guess it all comes down to time and money. Since I did not spend much time with the Bridgestones, I would love to hear your feedback once you give them a try.

Another great day in Minnesota and Wisconsin for golf...good luck getting out to play!

Paul