Looking for great winterball. Tinkering with Wilson FG Tour

caller

has anyone had experience with this in cold temp? anyother suggestion?
My SS is around 105 to 110mph and had great result from playing Prov1x this season.

I noticed that last two weekends, I lost a quite a bit distance and feel off the club face felt really harsh and hard.

I read few threads about how women ball/low compressed ball will play better in winter condition.

Since the weather here is 50high/30low stage now, I am looking for the ball that will spin around the green and still gives me ok distance from driver/long clubs.

Local golf store guy swears by Wilson Staff FG Tour ball and recommended it so I am tinkering.

Will this work well? Do you have any other suggestion on winter ball that will play softer?

Thanks

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your local golf store guy is right on Wilson Staff makes the lowest compression balls in golf so , any of their balls are great winter balls . The 50 ELITE , ZIP , D:25 and C:25 would all work great but , the FG Tour is W/S's urethane ball and it would spin the most .

BTW all of these balls are great for the summer too i game the C:25 all year long and , the FG Tour is just as good as the pro v and all other urethane balls . ( If not better )

[quote name='Huntingchris0000' timestamp='1288892393' post='2774363']
The FG tour is a great ball but feels like a marshmellow off the putter, I couldn't get used to it but it is a good ball if someone is looking for soft feel.
[/quote]

so in other words it fit him well in those freezing condition :drinks:

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288892073' post='2774354']
Your local golf store guy is right on Wilson Staff makes the lowest compression balls in golf so , any of their balls are great winter balls . The 50 ELITE , ZIP , D:25 and C:25 would all work great but , the FG Tour is W/S's urethane ball and it would spin the most .

BTW all of these balls are great for the summer too i game the C:25 all year long and , the FG Tour is just as good as the pro v and all other urethane balls . ( If not better )
[/quote]

That's good to hear.

They had 2 dzs for $55 and thinking about trying a sleeve first and see how it works for me.

I gamed Prov1 and Srixon during the summer and they are great balls but spins way too much on me so I settled with Prov1x which worked well with my game.

Winter is funny time for golf.

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

[quote name='caller' timestamp='1288894160' post='2774403']

[/quote]

That's good to hear.

They had 2 dzs for $55 and thinking about trying a sleeve first and see how it works for me.

I gamed Prov1 and Srixon during the summer and they are great balls but spins way too much on me so I settled with Prov1x which worked well with my game.

[/quote]

I think you should give the FG tours a try during the summer also when they first came out i played a few rounds with them and the pro v side by side .

Here where my results :
Distance off the driver : I found the FG tour had a higher ballflight and it was a little longer but , only by 3 to 5 yards . Other than that no difference

hybrids and Irons (5-7) : the Fg tours had a higher ballflight and felt a softer than the po v's and , they both had the same hop and check on the green with the FG rolling out a maybe 3 to 4 more FEET .

Irons (8-up) :The FG still had the higher ballflight but , unlike with the hybrids and long irons the FG hopped and stopped quicker with the pro v rolling a few more inches and more than once i actually found the FG tour still sitting in its own divot LOL ( i had never seen that before , but i have since seen the C:25 do the same thing)

Wedges : On full wedges both balls performed the same as far as i could tell but , on short pitches and chips around the green the prov had quite a bit more spin but , the spin on the FG tour seemed to be just right not too much or too little .

Putter : They were both soft and had a nice click to them but , the FG was quite a bit softer , which i like .

The FG tour feels alot like a balata ball and , the only thing i found that the pro v did better was more spin but , like you it was too much for me too .
[size="3"]
[size="3"][/size]Warning :
[/size]These were my results , others may vary LOL.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288896216' post='2774479']

[/quote]

That's good to hear.

[/quote]

I think you should give the FG tours a try during the summer also when they first came out i played a few rounds with them and the pro v side by side .

Here where my results :
Distance off the driver : I found the FG tour had a higher ballflight and it was a little longer but , only by 3 to 5 yards . Other than that no difference

hybrids and Irons (5-7) : the Fg tours had a higher ballflight and felt a softer than the po v's and , they both had the same hop and check on the green with the FG rolling out a maybe 3 to 4 more inches .

Irons (8-up) :The FG still had the higher ballflight but , unlike with the hybrids and long irons the FG hopped and stopped quicker with the pro v rolling a few more inches and more than once i actually found the FG tour still sitting in its own divot LOL ( i had never seen that before , but i have since seen the C:25 do the same thing)

Wedges : On full wedges both balls performed the same as far as i could tell but , on short pitches and chips around the green the prov had quite a bit more spin but , the spin on the FG tour seemed to be just right not too much or too little .

Putter : They were both soft and had a nice click to them but , the FG was quite a bit softer , which i like .

The FG tour feels alot like a balata ball and , the only thing i found that the pro v did better was more spin but , like you it was too much for me too .
[size="3"]
[/quote]

Thanks for your detailed input.

Have you tried this in colder temps?

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288896216' post='2774479']Distance off the driver : I found the FG tour had a higher ballflight and it was a little longer but , only by 3 to 5 yards . Other than that no difference[/quote]

Just curious....

How can you tell? I mean - 3-5 yards? Isn't that a normal variance in perfect swings just from light wind shifts? I am not as good/consistent as most folks here - but I don't see how I could say ball X is 3-5 yards longer than ball Y...that would require all other variables to be constant consistently - including atmosphere, swing speed, contact point, tee height, angle of attack, fairway roll, grass length...etc. etc. etc. Those within my control - I am not that precise...and then others are out of my control.

Just curious...

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288896216' post='2774479']hybrids and Irons (5-7) : the Fg tours had a higher ballflight and felt a softer than the po v's and , they both had the same hop and check on the green with the FG rolling out a maybe 3 to 4 more inches .[/quote]

And if I don't get 3-5 yards out of 250+, there's no way I understand 3-4 INCHES when you are talking about clubs that go 150-240...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

FG Tour is "Mo Betta" all year round. Going back to an X would feel harsh - I'm spoilt.

[quote name='caller' timestamp='1288891510' post='2774340']
My SS is around 105 to 110mph and had great result from playing Prov1x this season.

I noticed that last two weekends, I lost a quite a bit distance and feel off the club face felt really harsh and hard.

I read few threads about how women ball/low compressed ball will play better in winter condition.

Since the weather here is 50high/30low stage now, I am looking for the ball that will spin around the green and still gives me ok distance from driver/long clubs.

Local golf store guy swears by Wilson Staff FG Tour ball and recommended it so I am tinkering.

Will this work well? Do you have any other suggestion on winter ball that will play softer?

Thanks
[/quote]

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1288900287' post='2774622']
[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288896216' post='2774479']Distance off the driver : I found the FG tour had a higher ballflight and it was a little longer but , only by 3 to 5 yards . Other than that no difference[/quote]

Just curious....

How can you tell? I mean - 3-5 yards? Isn't that a normal variance in perfect swings just from light wind shifts? I am not as good/consistent as most folks here - but I don't see how I could say ball X is 3-5 yards longer than ball Y...that would require all other variables to be constant consistently - including atmosphere, swing speed, contact point, tee height, angle of attack, fairway roll, grass length...etc. etc. etc. Those within my control - I am not that precise...and then others are out of my control.

Just curious...

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288896216' post='2774479']hybrids and Irons (5-7) : the Fg tours had a higher ballflight and felt a softer than the po v's and , they both had the same hop and check on the green with the FG rolling out a maybe 3 to 4 more inches .[/quote]

And if I don't get 3-5 yards out of 250+, there's no way I understand 3-4 INCHES when you are talking about clubs that go 150-240...
[/quote]

I knew someone would want an explanation this is why i didnt post this back when i did it but , here you go .

It was pretty simple

With the driver i only counted the drives when i hit both balls consistently , i aint a perfect ballstriker but, my swing tends to be consistent and if both swings with each ball wasnt i simply didnt count either. And the gps measured the FG Tour on average to be 4 yards farther maybe i detailed it a little much but, thats what it said so , that is what i posted.

I live in TN we dont have wind LOL .

I only counted it if both landed in the fairway.

And then i simply used a gps to measure the yardages.

And as for the 3 to 4 inches on the hybrids and long irons it was supposed to be 3 to 4 feet not inches (It was a typo) but, i will fix it . And once again i used a gps not my eye so , for my swing this is how each ball performed.

[quote name='caller' timestamp='1288896799' post='2774502']
[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288896216' post='2774479']

[/quote]

That's good to hear.

[/quote]

Here where my results :

hybrids and Irons (5-7) : the Fg tours had a higher ballflight and felt a softer than the po v's and , they both had the same hop and check on the green with the FG rolling out a maybe 3 to 4 more inches .

[size="3"]
[/quote]

Thanks for your detailed input.

Have you tried this in colder temps?
[/quote]

No problem man i hope it helped but , no i havent tried the FG Tour in the cold only played it this summer but , i have played the C:25 in the cold and , it works well for me .

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most handheld GPS units are only accurate within 10-20 meters. There are too many factors that can degrade signal quality and affect GPS measurements. Even Garmin will only advertise being accurate within 15 meters. So a measured difference of 4 yards (let's not even get into 4 feet!) is pretty insignificant. I apologize for straying off of the OPs topic.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288928288' post='2775380']

Just curious....

Just curious...

[/quote]

I knew someone would want an explanation this is why i didnt post this back when i did it but , here you go .

It was pretty simple

With the driver i only counted the drives when i hit both balls consistently , i aint a perfect ballstriker but, my swing tends to be consistent and if both swings with each ball wasnt i simply didnt count either. And the gps measured the FG Tour on average to be 4 yards farther maybe i detailed it a little much but, thats what it said so , that is what i posted.

And as for the 3 to 4 inches on the hybrids and long irons it was supposed to be 3 to 4 feet not inches (It was a typo) but, i will fix it . And once again i used a gps not my eye so , for my swing this is how each ball performed.
[/quote]

Well - maybe you can do it....I know I don't have the consistency to meassure units that small...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='misterlau' timestamp='1288961006' post='2775692']
Sorry to burst your bubble, but most handheld GPS units are only accurate within 10-20 meters. There are too many factors that can degrade signal quality and affect GPS measurements. Even Garmin will only advertise being accurate within 15 meters. So a measured difference of 4 yards (let's not even get into 4 feet!) is pretty insignificant. I apologize for straying off of the OPs topic.
[/quote]

Thats ridiculous and you aint bursting my bubble at all cause my golf clubs GPS is accurate up to 4 feet hell it is accurate up to 1 foot . I guess you said it best yourself with the word "MOST" .

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1288961715' post='2775702']

Just curious....

Just curious...

[/quote]

It was pretty simple

[/quote]

Well - maybe you can do it....I know I don't have the consistency to meassure units that small...
[/quote]

So are you suggesting that i got on here and lied over a golf ball , Are you serious ? You dont have to be 100% consistent if you make a bad swing then it is SIMPLE you dont count either of them , What is so complicated about that . And you cant measure units that small ...REALLY ? ..You cant look at 2 balls on the fairway that are 3 to 5 yards apart and tell that they are 3 to 5 yards apart...and you cant tell when one ball rolls out 3 more feet than another one on a green ...well i dont know what to tell you then man...it is pretty simple to me to see when ball A goes farther than ball B , but hey thats just me.

Go out and try it and compare both balls and then maybe you can see that its not THAT difficult.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288962834' post='2775725']
[/quote]

Thats ridiculous and you aint bursting my bubble at all cause my golf clubs GPS is accurate up to 4 feet hell it is accurate up to 1 foot . I guess you said it best yourself with the word "MOST" .
[/quote]

which GPS do you have that is accurate up to 1 foot? I'm curious because I know that one of the biggest names in GPS claims accuracy between "1 meter to 10 meters".

T.I. Callaway X Hot 10.5* - Fubuki K
T.I. Callaway X Hot 15* - Fubuki AX
T.I. TM r7 5wd w/A.L.E. - ATX Blue
Cobra S3 ProS 5-9 w/XP105s, 588 RTX 46*
B-stone West coast design 52/58
Odyssey ProType #3

[quote name='albatrosser' timestamp='1288964037' post='2775767']
[/quote]

[/quote]

which GPS do you have that is accurate up to 1 foot? I'm curious because I know that one of the biggest names in GPS claims accuracy between "1 meter to 10 meters".
[/quote]

I dont know , it belongs to the owner of the country club that i am a member at , i dont have one . When i told him i was gonna do the test he offered to go with me cause he had just got it and, wanted to test it out and , he said it was accurate up to a foot so im sure that it is . That was in september but , i will find out what kind it is the next time i see him .

I, for one, appreciate the detailed feedback on performance with different clubs. Oddly enough, when I do such comparisons on a slow day at the course, even without a GPS I can tell which one is longer if such is the case.

I swear that if someone asked "how much is 1+1?", and a member answered "2" that, within a day or less there'd be someone asking what dimension of time and space was said sum arrived at in????

Guy offers us information, did not need to take the time to share that with us and all of a sudden the "I need more fiber in my diet cause I'm a bit bound up" crowd goes to swarming. It's one thing to post "I hit it 375 with one arm...", but offering us information about a product isn't normally where one would expect exaggeration...

Rant off.

[quote name='Bobbers' timestamp='1288966405' post='2775815']
I, for one, appreciate the detailed feedback on performance with different clubs. Oddly enough, when I do such comparisons on a slow day at the course, even without a GPS I can tell which one is longer if such is the case.

I swear that if someone asked "how much is 1+1?", and a member answered "2" that, within a day or less there'd be someone asking what dimension of time and space was said sum arrived at in????

Guy offers us information, did not need to take the time to share that with us and all of a sudden the "I need more fiber in my diet cause I'm a bit bound up" crowd goes to swarming. It's one thing to post "I hit it 375 with one arm...", but offering us information about a product isn't normally where one would expect exaggeration...

Rant off.
[/quote]

Thanx i appreciate it this is exactly why i didnt post this when i did it back in september . Funny thing is i did the test with the intentions of starting a thread about it but , when i read how childish some people act over something like this i decided to keep it to myself . But when this guy asked for some info that i had i decided i would help him out but , i wish i hadnt of now cause of all of this .

And BTW the man that was using the GPS has gamed the pro v 1 pobably since it first came out , he loves it and , still games it now . So if you guys think the info i posted is lies you might wanna think about that . Yes i am a fan of Wilson Staff but, i am not going to get on here and post a bunch of lies and , a guy that plays the prov 1 is not going to make the FG Tour sound better than his favorite ball by lying about the performance . The FG Tour and the pro v 1 are both great balls but , for my swing i prefer the FG Tour . If you do not agree with me then go out and do your own test but , dont sit at your computer and , call me a liar .

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288963105' post='2775732']
[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1288961715' post='2775702']

Just curious....

Just curious...

[/quote]

It was pretty simple

[/quote]

[/quote]

So are you suggesting that i got on here and lied over a golf ball , Are you serious ? You dont have to be 100% consistent if you make a bad swing then it is SIMPLE you dont count either of them , What is so complicated about that . And you cant measure units that small ...REALLY ? ..You cant look at 2 balls on the fairway that are 3 to 5 yards apart and tell that they are 3 to 5 yards apart...and you cant tell when one ball rolls out 3 more feet than another one on a green ...well i dont know what to tell you then man...it is pretty simple to me to see when ball A goes farther than ball B , but hey thats just me.

Go out and try it and compare both balls and then maybe you can see that its not THAT difficult.
[/quote]

I think what the guys are suggesting is that there are too many variables to be able to come to the conclusion that the extra 3-5 yards is due to a certain ball. Not that they cannot tell the difference between 3-5 yards in general. Also, if you were using range balls, they are soooo inconsistent.

With me, I will never be able to tell if it was me or a ball. 10 yards, maybe. On the course, I'll hit a ball with a 7 iron and really nut-it. Perfect execution and right on the sweet spot. It will go 160 yards. I'll drop another ball and hit again.
The next shot, didin't feel quite as good and it went 165 - 170 yards. It wasn't bladed or anything. It had the same trajectory but it felt harsher. But I may have swung a hair harder?

Personally I believe that the only absolute way to determine a ball's characteristics is by using Iron Byron under a controlled enviroment.

I appreciate your testing and am going to try the FG balls.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288964855' post='2775782']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I dont know , it belongs to the owner of the country club that i am a member at , i dont have one . When i told him i was gonna do the test he offered to go with me cause he had just got it and, wanted to test it out and , he said it was accurate up to a foot so im sure that it is . That was in september but , i will find out what kind it is the next time i see him .
[/quote]

Sorry again, but i wasn't suggesting i might burst your bubble, simply alerting you to the fact that your bubble had already been burst, whether you were aware of it or not. It's funny that you first claim that "hell it is accurate up to 1 foot", and then go on to admit you don't even know what model it is, and that someone just told you it is accurate to 1 foot so you're "sure that it is". I don't what I said that was so "ridiculous", since I was just listing some facts for you. I'm sorry that a truth that neither you or I can control got you so riled up and angry. I hope you stay away from libraries so that you won't go out of your mind.

I wasn't trying to knock on your findings or start a war, simply let you know of the factual limitations of the technology. I wasn't looking for a reaction or argument, just wanted to point out "hey, GPS really isn't that accurate" so that you would know. You come back like I just insulted your family, and don't offer any decent evidence to back up your claims. When I said "most", it covered pretty much all the handheld GPS devices a regular civilian would walk out and buy. Is there a chance your guy has some inside military connection or decided to drop several grand on a GPS device? Is he calling in air strikes on the weekend or doing some critical land surveys? Maybe, but that's not the most likely scenario. You'll probably come back and tell us it was just a SkyCaddie.

Can't go wrong with the FG tour ball, its a great performer for the price. Slightly less spin compared to the Pro V1 which isn't a bad thing and a fantastic feel. My ball for summer and winter

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

[quote name='misterlau' timestamp='1289850386' post='2791646']
[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1288964855' post='2775782']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry again, but i wasn't suggesting i might burst your bubble, simply alerting you to the fact that your bubble had already been burst, whether you were aware of it or not. It's funny that you first claim that "hell it is accurate up to 1 foot", and then go on to admit you don't even know what model it is, and that someone just told you it is accurate to 1 foot so you're "sure that it is". I don't what I said that was so "ridiculous", since I was just listing some facts for you. I'm sorry that a truth that neither you or I can control got you so riled up and angry. I hope you stay away from libraries so that you won't go out of your mind.

I wasn't trying to knock on your findings or start a war, simply let you know of the factual limitations of the technology. I wasn't looking for a reaction or argument, just wanted to point out "hey, GPS really isn't that accurate" so that you would know. You come back like I just insulted your family, and don't offer any decent evidence to back up your claims. When I said "most", it covered pretty much all the handheld GPS devices a regular civilian would walk out and buy. Is there a chance your guy has some inside military connection or decided to drop several grand on a GPS device? Is he calling in air strikes on the weekend or doing some critical land surveys? Maybe, but that's not the most likely scenario. You'll probably come back and tell us it was just a SkyCaddie.
[/quote]

I dont have to come back with anything and no you have never bursted any bubble of mine . When i hit ball A off of the tee and the gps says it went 280 yards and then i hit ball B and it says it went 285 yards guess what that means ball B went 5 yards farther than ball A . And then when i get to both balls and SEE them with my own eyes i can tell if ball B is farther than ball A . Add what i see with my on EYES to what the GPS says and if they both tell me the same thing then , that is very accurate , its as SIMPLE as that .Sure there is a margin of error and the distances that were measured are not PERFECT but , 3-5 yards is insignificant anyway , i was only trying to be as accurate as possible but, i guess i should've just said it was a couple of yards , would THAT suit you . Then you write down the distances for all of the balls off of the tee that you are counting and divide , then you come up with an average , it is not that hard . That is what i did and no i didnt use the GPS but , the guy that did use it aint in the bussiness of lying , and i certainly do trust him . I guess if you were not knocking on my findings and not trying to start an argument or war with me you wouldnt come at me with the "sorry to burst your bubble" remark . Thats what i did not appreciate it has nothing to do with any so-called truth that got me riled up and pissed off . Were you there at my home course watching me and hiding in the bushes those 3 days ?.............No you were not so i guess you do not know jack**** about what i did or how accurately i recorded my findings .

Now if you want to question my ball test any more just let me know but , if you just want to continue being a smartas* and insulting my intelligence you can keep it to yourself . And by the way I do not owe you any type of evidence whatsoever , do you think i posted this for you ? I will put it to you this way over the 54 holes that i played these 2 balls with , most of the time the FG Tour was a few yards longer off of the tee than the pro v was, and its not like i played 18 holes and said "thats it , the test is over" , i did it over 3 days and 54 holes of golf and the FG Tour was consistently the BEST ball PERIOD..........does that meet with your approval ?

Cause i care so very much about what you think...........:cheesy:

Guys,

Here's my review on the balls.

Weather here is around 35degree at 8am when I tee off and get about 70degree around 2pm.
I try to play 36 holes every saturday and FWIW.

- Wilson FG Tour
Great ball, soft and well balanced off the tee and around the green
I tend to hit this ball higher and see more side spin off the tee.
Into the green, checks up and only release half of distance than other balls I tried along with it.
Great value and great ball but since I have high SS and hit the ball, I am not sold 100% yet.

- Bstone 330RX
This is not what I expected,.Bstone makes great balls and equipment but the ball was below my expectation
Not a single area stands out. Maybe it's me not the ball but don't think it is worth that money

- Srixon Zstar
It is my go to ball when I am in funk. Every part of this ball performs. above average and good value ball.
OK off the tee, where this ball shines is around green. Durability is great. Cartpaths, trees, well struck full wedge shots, it holds up

I am going to try NXT Tour and see what the buzz is all about this weekend.

Thanks

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

[quote name='toms' timestamp='1290282600' post='2799908']
There is BUZZ surrounding the NXT Tour? prepare for a mediocre 3pc surlyn ball, the same construction and better value can be found in the Wilson, Srix, and B-stone lines
[/quote]

I have been shooting low 70's with the NXT tour all season. Very underrated golf ball. Plus I grabbed 8 dozen of them for $40 off of a fellow pro. Can't get better value then that.

Just bought a box of Taylormade Burner TP for winter after comparing them against NXT Tours. Very happy with them , feel soft and long , in fact hit them longer than I expected into a couple of greens today ( normally play ProV X).

I couldn't separate them and the NXT Tours but went for the Burner TP because I thought they looked and felt better when putting .

Callaway Epic Max LS 
TM M2 3 wood 
Mizuno MP 650 hybrids -  17 & 22 degree

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5 iron

Mizuno MP-5 6-PW KBS 120S
Vokey SM9 50

Vokey SM7 56, 60
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #9 

Comment on the Wilson Fifty Elite. It's surprisingly soft feeling around the green and checks up very well. Really kinda amazing given it's a two piece ball. Maybe there's a bit of hype in the axiomatic superiority of more layers in a golf ball.

Anyway, the problem with this Wilson Staff 50 Elite---for me--is that it's a bit mushy on full hits and compared to the Titleist Pro V1x (which I regularly play and hit longer than the Pro V1 even though my swing speed is about 95) the X is longer by about 1/2 a club from the GW to the 9 iron, and 3/4 club from the 6-8 iron and a full club with the 5 iron. (Don't have any irons below that). For me, it's about 10 yards with the driver.

All this testing was in 40 degree, high moisture content air. I looked into this thread because it purported to be about cold weather ball performance, but after the initial post I don't think I saw the words "cold" "weather" in the same sentence. C'mon people, this is supposed to be the forum attended by people who limit squabbling and are only interested in golf.