Ping S56 Review

Ping S56 Review

Backstory:
About a month ago I got a set of Ping S56's and have since fallen in love with them. Prior to this set of irons I had gamed Titleist AP2's for two seasons, and though I was pleased with them, I was ready to switch things up a little bit. I was looking for an iron that provided a little more feedback and slightly less offset compared to the AP2's, and the S56's fit the bill very nicely. Needless to say, I am now a proud owner of what I think is one of the greatest sets of irons on the market.

Pros:
From address all I see are nice sharp lines that scream control and workability. The cavity has nothing "extra", simply a player's club. The sole is thin, there is little offset, and though they aren't forged, the feel is still amazing. From a performance stand point I can work the ball well, high, low, left or right.

Cons:
To be honest, it is difficult for me to find any cons to these clubs. The worst I can say about the club is that because they are a players club, there isn't a ton of forgiveness to speak of. Certainly more forgiving than a typical muscle back, but if your swing is off, you will notice immediately.

Overall:
I am in love with this set of irons, and they are most definitely going to be my gamers for the 2011 season. Being my first set of Ping irons, I am immensely impressed, and am currently looking for matching Tour S wedges. Their playability is so amazing, it would be foolish for anyone looking for a similar club to not try them out because they aren't forged. Go try them out, you can thank me later!

Look:
The S56's are real lookers in my eyes. The lines are classic and ideal to to look down upon from address. Nothing about them screams "flashy" or "tacky", which I love, and are ultimately just a down to earth player's club. Coming off an iron set that was polished on the heel/toe area, playing on a sunny day sometimes meant glare issues. That isn't the case with the S56's, and the tumbled finish also helps to define the position of the ball. Ping's innovation in the S56 comes in the cavity, with a tuning port that helps control trajectory and tungsten in the toe to help with ball flight. Both of these amazing technologies are designed well in that they do not stand out at you in the form of plastic badges or bright letters. In short, these irons are all about one thing, and that is doing what they are supposed to do.

Performance/Playability:
My favorite part about these irons is easily the performance they allow for. The first time I hit them on the range I was able to work the ball right, left, up and down on command. The leading edge, though on the sharper side, allows for proper turf interaction while the bounce insures a sufficiently sized divot. I found myself over and over again hitting shots more solidly and consistently than ever before. I have always used to have a problem with my irons in that I would hit them a mile high, even though I have always used Dynamic Gold shafts (high kick point which implies I should be hitting them low). Well I was pleasantly surprised when I started hitting 3 iron bullets off the tee, controlled pitching wedges, and flighted 7 irons right at the flagstick. This has helped me not only gain a few more yards, but consistency coming into the green on approach shots. More greens = more birdie putts = lower scores.

Feel:
As I have mentioned before, these clubs are cast instead of forged. They are also, however, my first set of Ping irons, so I had some misconceptions based on my prior experience with cast clubs. Usually once people go forged, they don't go back. Well I am having NO regrets about changing to a cast club. These are as solid of an iron as I have ever hit. They aren't "hard" nor "clicky", just solid. They provide plenty of feedback as to where on the face I made contact, or if I caught the ball thin or fat. Each swing with these clubs just makes me want to hit them again and again, because who isn't drawn back to the game after a purely struck iron?

Bottom Line:
I am a converted Ping fan. These irons are marvelous and were exactly what I was looking for. They give me 100% control, feel good, and outright perform. Never before have I been so keen to hit a 3 iron off the tee on a short par 4 or been so confident over an approach shot. Time after time after time these clubs have done exactly what I want them to do and then some more. To top it off when I have a question I know that Ping has one of the best customer service departments in the industry, so if I ever have a problem, question, or concern I know I will be taken care of.
More information can be found here:

Pics!

3 Iron

7 iron

Pitching wedge

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1289963184' post='2794310']
10 wins as of yesterday and counting worldwide since introduced. Nobody else is close.
[/quote]
Yep! These irons have put Ping right back on the map and created a huge buzz. I have not seen any bad reviews as of yet so maybe I should hold off on ordering my Nike VR Pro blades???

10 wins as of yesterday and counting worldwide since introduced. Nobody else is close.
[/quote]

And since May if I'm not mistaken... almost two wins a month.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

[/quote]

I'm not a PING fan but I can't help but see the same thing. These irons just keep popping up as winners. If I were in the market for new irons these would be top of my list to try out.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

So much buzzz with these. Here are a bunch of Pics. 3,6 and pw...

[attachment=684856:414481dec4db288fd961d8c00b370a5f.JPG]
[attachment=684857:9970ec51459984b38d2221f66bc5cd95.JPG]
[attachment=684858:93aa023a82e7a6ceae402f22b1157963.JPG]
[attachment=684859:90b9968057c5de6f2846af346a1e2414.JPG]
[attachment=684860:757bf2fcf256d713bd31bf0448ebce71.JPG]
[attachment=684861:5300baba072d7c49d8756c02b584d744.JPG]
[attachment=684862:f3b63d4d914fc8c2af4794674b20ada5.JPG]
[attachment=684863:0970b5efe4934b22f23938f77df49a46.JPG]
[attachment=684864:598e06df3d7cf89fbead65d4f1f779cb.JPG]
[attachment=684865:a4ab838389566e0a49ab7be0a803db7a.JPG]
[attachment=684866:74596665e6c54b72a48973c116dee985.JPG]
[attachment=684867:15b43ffa986c93937e3bb86bb40708fc.JPG]
[attachment=684868:86d0958027755252df9fa490f7b5ef01.JPG]
[attachment=684869:1eb5b36cd6ab0a02a7281d3a7e2da1a6.JPG]

Man... I have to go back to my earlier post and say that the shape of these irons is HOT. Love the look from address. Thanks a lot for the temptation, easyyy russian_roulette.gif

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Anyone with S58 experience, how do the S56 compare?

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Great review, like you I replaced my AP2's recently and these were very very close to being my new iron, in the end I went for the MP68's though. Only a matter of time thou till I pick up a set of these

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1289175940' post='2779337']...[b]Ping S56[/b]'s and have since fallen in love with them. Prior to this set of irons I had gamed [b]Titleist AP2[/b]'s for two seasons...[/quote]

Ahh, dude ... you've [i][b]got[/b][/i] to give us some detailed comparison between these two sets.

Both good but quite different from designed/engineered perspective.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1289974327' post='2794530']
[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1289175940' post='2779337']...[b]Ping S56[/b]'s and have since fallen in love with them. Prior to this set of irons I had gamed [b]Titleist AP2[/b]'s for two seasons...[/quote]

Ahh, dude ... you've [i][b]got[/b][/i] to give us some detailed comparison between these two sets.

[/quote]

They are indeed two different breeds of clubs.

I guess if I had to do a 1 on 1 comparison, it would be a little difficult because there are so many differences. I felt like the AP2's were more of a cross between a player's cavity and a game enhancement set. The S56's are much more "raw", and seem stripped of some of the tech of the AP2's. I'm by no means a designer or engineer, but from a playing perspective, maybe it isn't the fairest of comparisons. When I hit the AP2's it was more of a muted feeling whereas the S56's are solid and more muscleback-blade like. I have yet to get on a launch monitor to check out numbers, but I feel like I am launching the S56's lower with slightly less spin than the AP2's. The more I think of it, I think when I hit the AP2's the ball stayed on the face a little bit longer compared to a faster transfer of energy with the Ping's, if that makes sense. The S56's have a thinner sole, thinner topline, less offset, smaller cavity, and shorter blade from heel to toe compared to the AP2's. I think if I had been playing the 710 CB's it would be a much more reasonable comparison. Everything I want to say about the S56's compared to the AP2's makes me sound in my head like apples and oranges.

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1289980644' post='2794585']
[quote name='Asleep' timestamp='1289974327' post='2794530']

[/quote]

They are indeed two different breeds of clubs.

I guess if I had to do a 1 on 1 comparison, it would be a little difficult because there are so many differences. I felt like the AP2's were more of a cross between a player's cavity and a game enhancement set. The S56's are much more "raw", and seem stripped of some of the tech of the AP2's. I'm by no means a designer or engineer, but from a playing perspective, maybe it isn't the fairest of comparisons. When I hit the AP2's it was more of a muted feeling whereas the S56's are solid and more muscleback-blade like. I have yet to get on a launch monitor to check out numbers, but I feel like I am launching the S56's lower with slightly less spin than the AP2's. The more I think of it, I think when I hit the AP2's the ball stayed on the face a little bit longer compared to a faster transfer of energy with the Ping's, if that makes sense. The S56's have a thinner sole, thinner topline, less offset, smaller cavity, and shorter blade from heel to toe compared to the AP2's. I think if I had been playing the 710 CB's it would be a much more reasonable comparison. Everything I want to say about the S56's compared to the AP2's makes me sound in my head like apples and oranges.
[/quote]

I think you are right on the money with your assessment/comparison. I played the AP2s for nearly a year after they came out. They were fantastic clubs, but are a true "tweener" club, which is to say that they are a forgiving iron with the characteristics of a player's club. They have a smallish profile, but, in comparison to the true players clubs, they have a bit larger profile, sole, and topline, they are easier to elevate, they have more bounce, and a bit more difficult to work. In short, they are a very long and forgiving club designed in a package that won't offend most players. I know some have said they didn't like the feel of the AP2s, but I found them to be a very good feeling club. Different than a solid forging, and more muted, but very pleasing to hit. I loved the mid and long irons. However, I had real problems finding the precision I wanted out of the shorter clubs due to the higher trajectory. IMO, the AP2s are similar in performance to the old Cally X-Tours. If and when my playing time is limited, and I decide to look for some more forgiveness, the AP2s and I15s would be at the top of my list.

By comparison, the S56s are more of a true player's iron with some forgiveness engineered into it. It has a beautiful, small profile with very clean lines at address. I have found the trajectory to be mid to even low with the short irons and elevating through the set - almost a flighted design, though I am not sure if that is intended/marketed. The feel is very muted, but pleasant when struck well. They are easier to work than the AP2s, but are not as easy to elevate and do not offer the extreme distance I got with the Ap2s. Bottom line is that it is almost an apples to oranges comparison. IMO, the AP2 alignbs more closely with the I15, whereas the S56s is a closer competitor with the 710 CB. IMO, the S56 is all about precision - it will give you what you put into it, but has some unexpected directional forgiveness that will benefit even a "player" but won't hinder him or her.

Hi there I am interested in the S56's but would like to know the specific differences in comparing the S57's to the S56's(blade length, weight, thikness of the sole, top line etc... I am wondering if I should be getting the 56's or if I should just get the S57's as they have dropped in price since the S56's have come out???

any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers turbs

[quote name='Turbs' timestamp='1290008015' post='2794866']
Hi there I am interested in the S56's but would like to know the specific differences in comparing the S57's to the S56's(blade length, weight, thikness of the sole, top line etc... I am wondering if I should be getting the 56's or if I should just get the S57's as they have dropped in price since the S56's have come out???

any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers turbs
[/quote]

I have no experience with the S57's outside of demo-ing them, so I can't be of much help in terms of playing characteristics. Here are links to the specs for both of them so you can compare what Ping has to say about them. [url="http://www.ping.com/clubs/ironsdetail.aspx?id=8154"]S56[/url] [url="http://www.ping.com/classics/ironsdetail.aspx?id=438"]S57[/url]. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I'm still giving them a try, but so far, not winning the bag for 2011. It's too bad because I really wanted to like them. I may have to get "re-fit" because it is either the wrong spec I have or the Tungsten toe weight is just a bad idea. I never hit fades by accident with my X Forged, but with these goofy s56, I have a constant fade and lose yards. I think I'll attribute the yard loss issue to the fact the so called black dot standard is 1/4" under. I just find the Ping fitting approach disappointing. I have played AP2s off the shelf with PX 6.0 and fired lasers, but Ping black dots are far from "standard". Oh well, still yet to find a classic players CB as well designed as the X Forged '08.

The jury is still out with me...love my S58's and had considered buying S57's last year...but I read that they were shorter than the S58. Now I read that the S56 design has corrected the distance issue of the S57.

The price has definetely dropped on the S57 sets since the relese of Pings new S56....see NIB sets going for under $400.

Titleist TSi2 driver, 11 deg, Tensi Reg shaft

Titleist TSi2 16.5 4 wood, Tensi Stiff shaft

Titleist T300 irons, 5-PW, AW S300 shafts

Titleist Vokey 54/10 custom wedge KBS Tour

Titleist Vokey 58/4 custom wedge KBS Tour

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback putter 35"

2022 Yamaha Drive2 PTV-Atomic Flame

Have to agree I have NEVER played or even liked Ping Irons but i was in the local golf shop today and checked them out and they are amazing looking irons. I hit some balls in the bay with them and I loved the way they frame the ball. Now I see why these irons have so many wins, they command respect at address and shoot your confidence through the roof. I still can't believe I just typed that about ping ironsblack%20eye.gif

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='bigbore56' timestamp='1290044968' post='2795941']
The jury is still out with me...love my S58's and had considered buying S57's last year...but I read that they were shorter than the S58. Now I read that the S56 design has corrected the distance issue of the S57.

The price has definetely dropped on the S57 sets since the relese of Pings new S56....see NIB sets going for under $400.
[/quote]
Just curious ... where have you seen them for under $400 NIB? Thanks!