2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bettinardi Customs?

jblough99

Does anyone know if Bettinardi makes one off putters or do they only do this for tour players? What I mean is will they make me a putter to my spec, finish, face milling, etc, from an exsisting design, Im looking at the BB8. I emailed them a week or so ago and never got a response. Had a DASS BB1 torched with a soundslot, loved the putter, hated the soundslot. Currently have a BC6 which is great but I prefer DASS over carbon.

Im looking at the 2011 line and really like the DASS signature series #2 but would rather have it in a "blackened" finish. It has all the specs I want but I dont care for all the stamping on the sole and I dont really like the natural stainless finish, had a cameron studio select and had issues with glare.

Ive thought about just getting the signature series #2 and grabbing some caswell blackener but I would hate to mess up a brand new putter with my first attempt at using this method.

I would love to be able to just call up Bettinardi, give them all the specs and tada i have the exact putter that I want. I know it wont be cheap but if I get exactly what Im looking for I think its worth it. I know betti ltd and rjb collector have tour putters and rare ones but I never see exactly what Im looking for.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking through the bettinardi registry and saw a putter stamped sakman, wondering if its the same one from this site, and if it is then custom orders must be possible.

They will not make a custom putter to your exact specs; for example, they won't make a welded flow neck with a fit face but they will adjust the loft, lie, stamps, sight line, sight dot etc. All the options are in the services section on the bettinardi website. The one for sakman has been on the only one I've seen built specifically for someone not on tour but it's because he does a lot of marketing for bettinardi and very connected to the inner workings of studio B. I am jealous.

It would be amazing if they built custom putters but they just don't have the time to do it. The very few and expensive custom putters that were offered at the social took upwards of 8 months to create. They turned out amazing but it took way too much man power.

On the other hand, there are plenty of guys who will do custom work and will bring your putter to life. Def contact laMont, slighter, bos, etc to get your one of a kind putter. I've got two with LaMont right now and can't wait to get my custom putters. Good Luck

A long time ago on a Golf Channel show, Bob let someone create a putter on CAD and then told him, $5,000 and we'll make it for you.

Don't know if that offer still stands, but expect a ballpark price in that neighborhood.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

[quote name='stage1350' timestamp='1289765143' post='2790052']
A long time ago on a Golf Channel show, Bob let someone create a putter on CAD and then told him, $5,000 and we'll make it for you.

Don't know if that offer still stands, but expect a ballpark price in that neighborhood.
[/quote]

Thats insane. Im not looking for a new design. I just want a DASS BB8 plumber neck with the new fit face, blank sole, blackened finish, single sightline, hex B logo in the cavity, around 355 grams. That shouldnt take any longer than making any other BB8 they offer except maybe the finish. Heck send it to me unfinished and I'll do that part myself.

Well for $495, the 2011 signature series #2 will have to fit the bill. I will have to give the natural stainless a go and if glare is an issue, I will just blacken it myself I guess or maybe send it off to DeerSlayer and let him have at it, he has alot more experience in that area than I do.

Try contacting JCigars or Venno. If there is anything close, they'll be able to find it for you. Blank sole might be the hard part.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I was fortunate a few years ago that, for a fee much less than $5,000.00, I was able to design a putter to my exact specifications. The thing with being able to design one was that I wanted to design a second and third.

BB8
33 inches
3 sound slots
Non-conventional honeycomb face
bee stings
"busy" bee swarm on the bottom with one red stinger bee
First social martini glass in cavity
one bee on the face
weld neck different finish than the face
sandsave on the bumpers

Maybe a trip to the studio would help. I know there are some threads around where people have gone and had putters made and fit to them right there.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

[quote name='Z3R013' timestamp='1289758945' post='2789929']
They will not make a custom putter to your exact specs; for example, they won't make a welded flow neck with a fit face but they will adjust the loft, lie, stamps, sight line, sight dot etc. All the options are in the services section on the bettinardi website. The one for sakman has been on the only one I've seen built specifically for someone not on tour but it's because he does a lot of marketing for bettinardi and very connected to the inner workings of studio B. I am jealous.

[b]It would be amazing if they built custom putters but they just don't have the time to do it. The very few and expensive custom putters that were offered at the social took upwards of 8 months to create. They turned out amazing but it took way too much man power.[/b]

On the other hand, there are plenty of guys who will do custom work and will bring your putter to life. Def contact laMont, slighter, bos, etc to get your one of a kind putter. I've got two with LaMont right now and can't wait to get my custom putters. Good Luck
[/quote]

Why would it take 8 months to create these custom putters? There are several other custom putter makers out there (not as big as Bettinardi) where you can get basically anything you want done to a certain model and it doesn't take nearly this long. I really can't understand how just due to some custom stamping and maybe a finish it would take 3/4 of a year to make a putter.

I think the 8 month custom is a "true custom". They will make the putter from scratch from the moment you send them the design. Your design gets "put in line" and gets made from[b] one piece[/b]. You decide everything, neck placement, face milling, finish, and computer designed engravings (not stampings), etc.

Quite different from "customs" where you get a pre-made putter put some stampings, maybe an exotic finish, maybe re-weld a neck/put a neck on a pre-made head.

Whether the wait and cost for one "custom" versus another custom is worth it to an individual is up to one's needs, wants, and finances.

There are several pre-fabricated putters that the Bettinardi distributors like Venno and Jimmy, like it has been mentioned you could get lucky and find what you need there.

I would love a Bettinardi Custom but would have to get invited to the Social and order that putter. Lots of costs outside of the putter on that for me. Plane ticket alone to Tinley Park would be as much as the putter.

xxio, I see what you are saying about it being a true custom in that you can decide everything, I still just can not see how it could take that long to MAKE the putter once you decided what you wanted. Now I could see it taking a person 8 months to decide what they wanted, haha, but not to get the putter made. Either way, doesn't look like it is an option unless you get invited to the Social like you said. I think it would be great if Bettinardi added the ability for customers to pick out finish, stampings/engravings, weld neck, on their already pre-made models. As big of a hit as it is with Byron, Mills, etc, it surely would be an advantage to have this option as well.

I would definitely send a PM over to [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/17136-jcigars/"]jcigars[/url] and yes "[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/1687-sakman/"]Sakman[/url]" is the one on here, you can contact him as well.
And here's the thread on the "Sakman" custom putter.. [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/352329-the-making-of-a-custom-bettinardi-putter/page__p__2307669__fromsearch__1#entry2307669"]The Making of a CUSTOM Bettinardi Putter [/url]

Ive been checking bettinardiltd.com and rjbcollector.com daily to see if they have any new offerings. I'll just keep my eyes open on here, those sites, and the bay and Im sure I'll run across something before next spring. I have atleast 4 long cold boring months till next season. :cry:

[quote name='jblough99' timestamp='1290094192' post='2796623']
Ive been checking bettinardiltd.com and rjbcollector.com daily to see if they have any new offerings. I'll just keep my eyes open on here, those sites, and the bay and Im sure I'll run across something before next spring. I have atleast 4 long cold boring months till next season. :cry:
[/quote]

Why don't you try contacting Nick or Jimmy directly? They may be able to track down exactly what you're looking for.

Cheers!

[quote name='Redman' timestamp='1290064150' post='2796360']
xxio, I see what you are saying about it being a true custom in that you can decide everything, I still just can not see how it could take that long to MAKE the putter once you decided what you wanted. Now I could see it taking a person 8 months to decide what they wanted, haha, but not to get the putter made. Either way, doesn't look like it is an option unless you get invited to the Social like you said. I think it would be great if Bettinardi added the ability for customers to pick out finish, stampings/engravings, weld neck, on their already pre-made models. As big of a hit as it is with Byron, Mills, etc, it surely would be an advantage to have this option as well.
[/quote]

I am not part of the process but I could offer a couple of explanations/guesses.

I think there is quite a bit of back and forth between Bettinardi during that time talking to the customer/finalizing the CAD design.

I think the amount of putters that Bettinardi makes for his retail lines might make the process longer because your putter 'gets in line".

I do agree I wish more options as to engravings (I think only Tour only putters get stamped?) and finishes would be offered. However from what I have seen Bettinardi likes to "limit" his putters in that manner, thereby making the rarity. Just look at his retail/yearly/OEM offerings almost the same but if you look closely enough there will always be subtle differences (neck placement, bumper milling, bumper sloping, neck milling, rounded/flat topline, etc)that will be enough to make a buyer appreciate that almost every retail product is unique.

I don't know why Bettinardi does not offer it. I do know he values his relationships with his distributors like Venno and Jimmy. Patient people usually get what they want thru them.

I last year know we had a few putters stamped by another (very very good) putter maker from run of the mill heads, no special orders, no special finishes, just the stamp itself was different. It still took more than 3 months for those dozen putters to come in.

Go to Bettinardi's registry and search "custom"- you will see some of the most amazing custom putters. You will quickly realize why they take so long to create. My new favorite is the mini honeycomb "insert" BB0.

Sandsave: Love that putter! I have been looking for a pic of it for a while now. I've got a custom in the works at LaMont's and will soon have a putter very similar to yours. Love the two tone flow neck. If it's ok, can I use that pic to send to him for a reference? Thanks

PMed Jimmy (jcigars), he is on the lookout for something that fits what Im looking for.

[quote name='J-J' timestamp='1290090580' post='2796527']
Some eye candy
Talk about custom putter and accessories by Bettinardi !!

[attachment=685513:IMG00140-20101116-1225.jpg]

And this goes well with:

[attachment=685512:148A.jpg]
[/quote]

What finish is on this putter? Thats almost exactly the finish Im interested in.

I went to the Studio last year. They have so many to choose from. Great experience, and Ben was awesome to work with. Absolutely worth the time and money. I have never putted so good. It's to bad I didn't do this before, every time I got so called "fitted" for a putter, I got the same old story, standard loft, standard lie and anywhere from 33.5" to 35".
Ben put me on the high speed cameras, adjusted loft to 3 degrees and lie 4 degrees flat, and WOW!!!! won't hesitate to go back for my next putter, If I ever need one.

[quote name='jblough99' timestamp='1290225087' post='2799212']
Some eye candy

And this goes well with:

[/quote]

What finish is on this putter? Thats almost exactly the finish Im interested in.
[/quote]

This is an in-house finish that is actually a chalky black...not exactly sure of the name. I'll find out Monday for you unless Jimmy chimes in prior.

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1290304957' post='2800426']
[quote name='jblough99' timestamp='1290225087' post='2799212']
Some eye candy

And this goes well with:

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is an in-house finish that is actually a chalky black...not exactly sure of the name. I'll find out Monday for you unless Jimmy chimes in prior.
[/quote]

It's just a black oxide were experimenting with that we do in house :)

Jimmy

[quote name='jcigars' timestamp='1290349281' post='2800871']
It's just a black oxide were experimenting with that we do in house :)

Jimmy
[/quote]

Jimmy if you could find my putter in that finish, or even a "unfinished" DASS and have it refinished with that finish, that would be amazing!!!!! Thats exactly the type of finish I wanted, charcoal/black!!! Black oxide on stainless, I didnt even know that was possible.

• 3 weeks later...