Has anybody played the new Burner Tour ball?

ctonr

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not had a chance to play with it. It looks like the new Burner Tour ball is a 2 piece ball. I wonder how the spin is going to be compared to the Tour 3 piece balls on the market.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I have tried the 3 new Burner balls (Burner, Burner Tour, Burner TP) and compared them to the Burner 08 (and to the TP Red).

The Burner Tour is softer than the Burner 08 (and much softer than the new Burner).
Off the tee I got + 5-10 yards with the Burner Tour. The trajectory is flatter.
On short irons/full wedges I got good results. Putting is really soft and nice.
Only on chips the Burner Tour balls were running out.

If you´re looking for more greenside control, I would give the new Burner TP a try. The new Burner TP is a big improvement to the last year´s Burner TP. It feels like a TP Red for slower swing speed.

[quote name='Golfo5' timestamp='1290673300' post='2807987']
I have tried the 3 new Burner balls (Burner, Burner Tour, Burner TP) and compared them to the Burner 08 (and to the TP Red).

The Burner Tour is softer than the Burner 08 (and much softer than the new Burner).
Off the tee I got + 5-10 yards with the Burner Tour. The trajectory is flatter.
On short irons/full wedges I got good results. Putting is really soft and nice.
Only on chips the Burner Tour balls were running out.

If you´re looking for more greenside control, I would give the new Burner TP a try. The new Burner TP is a big improvement to the last year´s Burner TP. It feels like a TP Red for slower swing speed.
[/quote]

I have been to several stores and have found the new Burner and Burner Tour but no new Burner TP. The only Burner TP that I found was the old version. Is there a new one out? Thanks.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

[quote name='Golfo5' timestamp='1290690850' post='2808062']
It seems, TM starts to sell the new Burner TP in Canada and Europe.
[/quote]

Yes I wonder why they did that. I was in a GolfTown (in Canada) and they had them all. The new Burner, new Burner Tour, new Burner Tp and the old Burner and old Burner TP.

I found the old Burner TP performed well but felt hard - especially in cool weather. The old Burner felt much softer.

Hope to try the new ones out this winter on a golf trip to Palm Springs.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

[quote name='NCg0lfer' timestamp='1290961205' post='2812714']
Tried them. Very similar to the NXT Tour.
[/quote]

I find them a little easy to compress. They are much shorter off the tee, and don't last. I had to replace them every other hole. But, this could be because my swing speed is higher then typically intended for this ball. Durability would be my biggest concern, liked the NXT Tour more.

They are very short off the tee and with irons. They do feel pretty good off the putter. It's another case of "you get what you pay for".

Driver:  Ping G430 LST 9.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 F 50* and S 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

I find them a little easy to compress. They are much shorter off the tee, and don't last. I had to replace them every other hole. But, this could be because my swing speed is higher then typically intended for this ball. Durability would be my biggest concern, liked the NXT Tour more.

They are very short off the tee and with irons. They do feel pretty good off the putter. It's another case of "you get what you pay for".

Are you guys talking about the NXT Tour being shorter or the TM Burner TP being shorter?

Both my son and myself felt that the TM Burner TP's were very long but that they did launch the ball quite high. My son doesn't need the distance nor the height but whereas I enjoyed them both, extra distance and height...drinks.gif

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Are you guys talking about the NXT Tour being shorter or the TM Burner TP being shorter?

Both my son and myself felt that the TM Burner TP's were very long but that they did launch the ball quite high. My son doesn't need the distance nor the height but whereas I enjoyed them both, extra distance and height...drinks.gif

I would top out with the Burner @ 270, the NXT Tour I would hit 295+, even bombed one 330. The Burner felt like you were hitting a marshmellow (for me anyways). I hate that feeling. I just compress the ball too much. Therefore it falls apart on me, and I have to toss it after two holes. Not a good ball for me. VERY short.

I would top out with the Burner @ 270, the NXT Tour I would hit 295+, even bombed one 330. The Burner felt like you were hitting a marshmellow (for me anyways). I hate that feeling. I just compress the ball too much. Therefore it falls apart on me, and I have to toss it after two holes. Not a good ball for me. VERY short.

I believe, you are right: With your ss (> 105) you overcompress the Burner 08. So it feels to soft and you loose distance.

The overall compression of the Burner 08 is only 77. The new Burner Tour is softer than the Burner 08 (made for amateurs with ss < 95??).

I believe, you are right: With your ss (> 105) you overcompress the Burner 08. So it feels to soft and you loose distance.

The overall compression of the Burner 08 is only 77. The new Burner Tour is softer than the Burner 08 (made for amateurs with ss < 95??).

Exactly. All about getting fit for the right ball.

I'm not sure what you mean by having to "toss" this ball away after two holes, I don't buy that...And my son hits the ball every bit as long as you do from what you say, and out of 10 balls, TM Burner TP 2010, Pro V1 X, Callaway Tour i (z), Nike One Platinum, and maybe another one...there wasn't a bit of difference in carry with any of them.

Thanksgiving Day, 35 degrees, into the wind, and all were flying in the 275 range, and "all" landing in that same general area.

I don't have a dog in this fight for "any" ball here. Heck, I play 6 or 8 different balls, and from that many different manufactures...BUT...the Taylor Made Burner TP "did not" fall apart one bit for either of us...laugh.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

I'm not sure what you mean by having to "toss" this ball away after two holes, I don't buy that...And my son hits the ball every bit as long as you do from what you say, and out of 10 balls, TM Burner TP 2010, Pro V1 X, Callaway Tour i (z), Nike One Platinum, and maybe another one...there wasn't a bit of difference in carry with any of them.

Thanksgiving Day, 35 degrees, into the wind, and all were flying in the 275 range, and "all" landing in that same general area.

I don't have a dog in this fight for "any" ball here. Heck, I play 6 or 8 different balls, and from that many different manufactures...BUT...the Taylor Made Burner TP "did not" fall apart one bit for either of us...laugh.gif

Interesting. I literally had to throw it in the pond after two holes, the entire outer layer was gone, ripped apart and you could no longer see the logo. I do tend to go through balls very fast, I hit down on the ball very hard. But from my experience, it was the shortest ball I have EVER played, and I've tried a lot of them. Any idea what his SS is? Mine is close to 110 with the driver which is too fast for that ball.

Interesting. I literally had to throw it in the pond after two holes, the entire outer layer was gone, ripped apart and you could no longer see the logo. I do tend to go through balls very fast, I hit down on the ball very hard. But from my experience, it was the shortest ball I have EVER played, and I've tried a lot of them. Any idea what his SS is? Mine is close to 110 with the driver which is too fast for that ball.

You must have some aggressive grooves on your driver, if you're tearing up balls like that...laugh.gif

Forgive me but I find it rather humorous that you are tearing covers off this ball. Now you might not like the ball, and the ball might not fit your game but tear the cover off? Come on! biggrin.gif

My son wouldn't play the ball but I would. I need distance at "ANY" cost...bye.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

You must have some aggressive grooves on your driver, if you're tearing up balls like that...laugh.gif

Forgive me but I find it rather humorous that you are tearing covers off this ball. Now you might not like the ball, and the ball might not fit your game but tear the cover off? Come on! biggrin.gif

My son wouldn't play the ball but I would. I need distance at "ANY" cost...bye.gif

Haha, I'm leaning more towards it being the wedges. The cover is too soft. I've taken covers off balls before but never like this ball. It has one of the softest covers out there though, so that explains it.

Haha, I'm leaning more towards it being the wedges. The cover is too soft. I've taken covers off balls before but never like this ball. It has one of the softest covers out there though, so that explains it.

Well not since balata have I seen anyone take the cover off from a ball. A couple of the Callaway balls flaked the cover off a bit (since fixed)...AND!...when I hit a blacktop cart path on the fly with "ANY" ball, that does some dirt as well...But I haven't seen any covers peeled off a ball for a long time...Just saying...biggrin.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Well not since balata have I seen anyone take the cover off from a ball. A couple of the Callaway balls flaked the cover off a bit...AND!...when I hit a blacktop cart path on the fly with "ANY" ball, that does some dirt as well...But I haven't seen any covers peeled off a ball for a long time...Just saying...biggrin.gif

The '06 Pro V's were almost as bad. Two or three wedge shots and they were garbage too. Haven't tried the new ones, but I hear they are better. Sounds like you just don't have the speed to really get the grooves going through the ball.

The '06 Pro V's were almost as bad. Two or three wedge shots and they were garbage too. Haven't tried the new ones, but I hear they are better. Sounds like you just don't have the speed to really get the grooves going through the ball.

This topic isn't about me but I'm sure your assessment of the TM Burner TP 2010 isn't too factual either, and especially the part about your ability to "tear" the cover off a ball...laugh.gif

I've had enough here, I'm out...Later On...bye.gif

UnConvinced...laugh.gif

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Back to us mere mortals........

I put the Burner Tour in play for the first time this morning and was very impressed with how this ball performed for me. I'd been playing the Burner TP's, Burner's (both old version) with a Gamer thrown in for good measure every now and then for pretty much the last 2 years. I found the Burner Tour to be longer for me than any of those balls and it felt like it came off the face of my irons hotter while still feeling pretty soft. While I loved getting the extra few yards in distance the best thing I found with the Burner TP was the performance hitting into the greens and chipping around the greens - it was drop and stop for me all day long. With anything from a 7 iron through wedge the ball came to rest within 4-6 feet of it's pitch mark every time and this was on greens that haven't been holding balls because they're dry and half dormant. I'm not one that spins the ball a lot going into the greens anyway and for the last month and a half I've been used to my balls hitting and running quite a bit but with the Burner Tour 4 to 6 feet every time. I think I've found my new ball for 2011.....

[quote name='generalpatton' timestamp='1291139756' post='2816187']
Back to us mere mortals........

I put the Burner Tour in play for the first time this morning and was very impressed with how this ball performed for me. I'd been playing the Burner TP's, Burner's (both old version) with a Gamer thrown in for good measure every now and then for pretty much the last 2 years. I found the Burner Tour to be longer for me than any of those balls and it felt like it came off the face of my irons hotter while still feeling pretty soft. While I loved getting the extra few yards in distance the best thing I found with the Burner TP was the performance hitting into the greens and chipping around the greens - it was drop and stop for me all day long. With anything from a 7 iron through wedge the ball came to rest within 4-6 feet of it's pitch mark every time and this was on greens that haven't been holding balls because they're dry and half dormant. I'm not one that spins the ball a lot going into the greens anyway and for the last month and a half I've been used to my balls hitting and running quite a bit but with the Burner Tour 4 to 6 feet every time. I think I've found my new ball for 2011.....
[/quote]

Very interesting to read. As I described above I compared Burner 08, TP Red to Burner 11 and Burner Tour.
I see the gain in distance too and I like the very soft feel of the Burner Tour very much!
Unfortunatley I got much more inconsistency with the straight flying Burner Tour (left/right) compared to new Burner TP, old Burner and old TP Red. With the last three balls I stayed every time middle of the road (tried it again and again).

I don´t unterstand that, because I got better results with 3- and 4-piece balls with more spin?

Did you compare dispersion?

Very interesting...anyone have a coupon code for GolfTown? I'm curious that there is a Burner TP '11.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I played a round with the new Burner Tour yesterday. First off, it was cold, never got over 41, but I bought these balls for use in cold weather. Distance with all clubs was good, about what I would expect out of my regular ball, TP Red, in warmer conditions. The ball felt soft off all clubs, not hard or clicky like some 2 piece balls. Spin was surprisingly good for a 2 piece, not ProV-1 good, but better than an NXT Tour, and I think better than the old Burner TP. Very soft off the putter, even in the cold. I think I have found my winter ball for the year, and maybe even a keeper in the warmer weather. Good deal for $21.99 a doz..

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I got to play these in a blind ball testing done on another website. TM sent a bunch of blank balls to members and we tested them out without knowing what balls they were. I was noticeably shorter off the tee box(10-15 yards) but everything else about this ball was great. Loved the feel off my irons and wedges. The cover is fantastic and will last you a few rounds. I hit 2 trees and the cartpath and the ball looked very fresh with just a small scuff. I thought for sure I was playing a premium ball and was shocked when TM said it was the Burner Tour. Great ball especially at that price point. I will admit I was disappointed off the tee box though. Don't know why it was so short off the tee but fine with everything else.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

I bought a box of Burner Tours when on our golf trip to Palm Springs. There were none of the new Burner TP's.

I have used the old Burners and old Burner TP's before. (ss 90-95 8 hcp)

The new Burner Tour feels a lot like the old Burner. Soft off all clubs. Bites the greens reasonably well - some rollout on half shots which was expected. Spins less than a ProV but more than something like a Warbird. Very good durability. Ball looks new after the round.

I used the Burner Tour on most holes over 6 games. I also used one of the old Burner TP's and a Callway i for a few holes each day for comparison.

I could not see a big diff between the Burner Tour and the Burner TP. Both were long off the driver, felt nice and bit the greens reasonably well with some rollout (a few feet). The Callway i would be a bit shorter off the tee, also nice soft feeling but would bite the greens better especially on half shots (sometime checks up too quickly when you are expecting a bit of rollout)

The old Burner TP felt a bit more "clicky" off the putter and wedges when compared to the Burner Tour but no big difference really. The TP Blacks are much more clicky than either Burner ball.

I would compare the Burner Tour to a TriSpeed, E6, Hot Bite etc.

Great ball for the price and seems to be suited for my game.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others