wilson fg tour

ping rat

feedback
the more i hear about this ball the more intrigued i become. current ball is the prov1x, i am wondering if this might be a good fit.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FG plays much softer than the Pro V1x. Alot softer. I would say if you like the feel of the x yo might look at the Cally i(z). JMO
Buy a sleeve of the FG's and give them a try. I love them.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

whats it like as far as driver spin[quote name='RainShadow' timestamp='1292359634' post='2840871']
FG plays much softer than the Pro V1x. Alot softer. I would say if you like the feel of the x yo might look at the Cally i(z). JMO
[/quote]

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

Where are the FG Tours made? I want to try these but can't find them local. Can someone look at box and let me know. The rest of their Staff line (d/c:25 and Fifty) are made in China. 

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

[quote name='borker' timestamp='1292477696' post='2843359']
Where are the FG Tours made? I want to try these but can't find them local. Can someone look at box and let me know. The rest of their Staff line (d/c:25 and Fifty) are made in China.
[/quote]

Th D:25 and C:25's are made in china the Fifty Elite , Zip and FG Tour are made in Taiwan. Edwinn Watts carries the whole line if you are close to one.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1292477972' post='2843370']
Th D:25 and C:25's are made in china the Fifty Elite , Zip and FG Tour are made in Taiwan. Edwinn Watts carries the whole line if you are close to one.
[/quote]
Thanks.

My Fifty Elites say China

[quote name='borker' timestamp='1292478159' post='2843375']
[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1292477972' post='2843370']
[/quote]
Thanks.

My Fifty Elites say China
[/quote]

Mine say Taiwan maybe ther made in both places.

[quote name='Sushiyoshi' timestamp='1292541656' post='2844450']
What is the significance of where they are made?
[/quote]
To be honest, it has to do with the higher markup gouging some companies try to get away with. And for an informed consumer, such as myself, I am sick of it.

We all know labor is much cheaper in China, yet Wilson markets C:25's in same category as some other highly regarded mid-premium balls like the new DT SOLO, Bridgestone "E" series, Burner TP's, Srixon Trispeed. Even the NXT Tour is not much more than what I can find C:25's for ($25). And the Gamer VS is one of biggest proven sleeper balls and it is $20. Every single one of the balls I listed though are either made in USA or Japan, except for the C:25's. Wilson has the balls (excuse the pun) to produce balls in cheapest labor market and probably costing them even less in materials YET they charge same price as others. Good for the bean counters at Wilson but I can't support it. NOW if Wilson was to more honestly sell them for say $18 or so (a made in China alternative to V2's or E's) i'd buy them because it would be more fair. The nice looking boxes and marketing speak don't fool me Wilson...

[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1292360293' post='2840888']
whats it like as far as driver spin[quote name='RainShadow' timestamp='1292359634' post='2840871']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Driver spin is not bad. It doesn't seem to ballon into the wind unless I put a bad swing on it.

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

[quote name='borker' timestamp='1292762037' post='2847947']
[/quote]
To be honest, it has to do with the higher markup gouging some companies try to get away with. And for an informed consumer, such as myself, I am sick of it.

We all know labor is much cheaper in China, yet Wilson markets C:25's in same category as some other highly regarded mid-premium balls like the new DT SOLO, Bridgestone "E" series, Burner TP's, Srixon Trispeed. Even the NXT Tour is not much more than what I can find C:25's for ($25). And the Gamer VS is one of biggest proven sleeper balls and it is $20. Every single one of the balls I listed though are either made in USA or Japan, except for the C:25's. Wilson has the balls (excuse the pun) to produce balls in cheapest labor market and probably costing them even less in materials YET they charge same price as others. Good for the bean counters at Wilson but I can't support it. NOW if Wilson was to more honestly sell them for say $18 or so (a made in China alternative to V2's or E's) i'd buy them because it would be more fair. The nice looking boxes and marketing speak don't fool me Wilson...
[/quote]

Wow what a meaningless rant, why don't you make some sign's and, march around outside of the wilson headquarter's. If Wilson Staff's balls are so outrageously priced how come the 50 elite and, zips are $10 to $12 everywhere. They are two of the best 2-piece golf balls ever made yet, they cost practically nothing. If you are going to tell this story then shouldn't you tell the whole story. It does not matter if the balls are made in China or Japan both of those places are overseas so who cares. I have NEVER been in any golf store where Wilson Staff's balls were not the cheapest or some of the cheapest balls in the store. So your phrase "they charge same price as others" is very wrong. I have only been in one store where the C:25's were even $25 but, been in plenty where they were $14.88 up to $23. From what i have seen Wilson Staff has great quality golf equipment at prices lower than its competition and, since i save money by buying W/S i WILL support them 100%, who cares wher they are made.

I save alot of money by buying the C:25's and, they are a great ball, price gouging you say, i don't think so.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1292784950' post='2848367']
[quote name='borker' timestamp='1292762037' post='2847947']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow what a meaningless rant, why don't you make some sign's and, march around outside of the wilson headquarter's. If Wilson Staff's balls are so outrageously priced how come the 50 elite and, zips are $10 to $12 everywhere. They are two of the best 2-piece golf balls ever made yet, they cost practically nothing. If you are going to tell this story then shouldn't you tell the whole story. It does not matter if the balls are made in China or Japan both of those places are overseas so who cares. I have NEVER been in any golf store where Wilson Staff's balls were not the cheapest or some of the cheapest balls in the store. So your phrase "they charge same price as others" is very wrong. I have only been in one store where the C:25's were even $25 but, been in plenty where they were $14.88 up to $23. From what i have seen Wilson Staff has great quality golf equipment at prices lower than its competition and, since i save money by buying W/S i WILL support them 100%, who cares wher they are made.

I save alot of money by buying the C:25's and, they are a great ball, price gouging you say, i don't think so.
[/quote]

Exactly... well said.

[quote name='flpeddlar' timestamp='1292812422' post='2849129']
I think we are off topic. Is the golf ball good or not. I have heard nothing but good things about this ball.
[/quote]
Its an excellent ball i have played it 3 times since i posted this topic great distance it is easy to spin around the green and very durable.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Too many putters

I think we are off topic. Is the golf ball good or not. I have heard nothing but good things about this ball.
[/quote]

Awesome ball. Buy some now!!!!

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

[/quote]

Yes it is a terrific ball. It feels soft yet can handle high S.S.'s, long off of the tee, has alot of spin, is very durable and feels great off of the putter. If you like the feel and, characteristics of the old balata balls then my money is on you loving the FG Tour.

Wow what a meaningless rant, why don't you make some sign's and, march around outside of the wilson headquarter's. [/quote]

They asked so I responded my opinion. You have a problem with that, IGNORE my post instead of posting your own "meaningless rant".

I also never said any of Wilson balls weren't worth playing. Just that they are priced too high for what they are.. Made in China or Taiwan.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1292784950' post='2848367'] If Wilson Staff's balls are so outrageously priced how come the 50 elite and, zips are $10 to $12 everywhere. [/quote]

Really? They are $14.99 [b]ON SALE[/b] at my local Big5 Sports. The ONLY place in my town I can find them and I have all the large sports retailers and several golf chains. So I guess by saying everywhere you didn't mean my city included.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1292784950' post='2848367']They are two of the best 2-piece golf balls ever made yet [/quote]

LOL. Nice opinion disguised so authoritatively as fact.

I'd love to see your independant robot and live golfer testing numbers to which you so conclusively make this claim. Post them for all of us to see. Surely you have some sort of facts to back this statement up rather than you just saying so, right?

Or do you work for Wilson because then this blind statement makes more sense.

[quote name='borker' timestamp='1292834324' post='2849521']
Wow what a meaningless rant, why don't you make some sign's and, march around outside of the wilson headquarter's. [/quote]

They asked so I responded my opinion. You have a problem with that, IGNORE my post instead of posting your own "meaningless rant".

I also never said any of Wilson balls weren't worth playing. Just that they are priced too high for what they are.. Made in China or Taiwan.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1292784950' post='2848367'] If Wilson Staff's balls are so outrageously priced how come the 50 elite and, zips are $10 to $12 everywhere. [/quote]

Really? They are $14.99 [b]ON SALE[/b] at my local Big5 Sports. The ONLY place in my town I can find them and I have all the large sports retailers and several golf chains. So I guess by saying everywhere you didn't mean my city included.

[quote name='Smoothduffer' timestamp='1292784950' post='2848367']They are two of the best 2-piece golf balls ever made yet [/quote]

I'd love to see your independant robot and live golfer testing numbers to which you so conclusively make this claim. Post them for all of us to see. Surely you have some sort of facts to back this statement up rather than you just saying so, right?

[/quote]

If you don't like my post[size="5"] YOU[/size][size="2"] can ignore it but, if you want to post your blind opinion i suppose i can post mine too. If you have a problem with that then get over it. I don't know what kind of big retail stores your town has but, 50 elites are easy to find around here and i have not seen them go over $12 per dozen ANYWHERE. The 50 and, zip are great 2-piece balls that are cheaper than other 2-piece balls, PERIOD. I don't have robot test numbers but, there are certainly no facts that base you're claims and, baseless allegations. Show us your proof of the accusations that you are posting.... Oh-yeah, you do not know what they pay to make their balls or have any clue whatsoever what their profit is or what it is compared to any of the other companies. In fact you don't know the facts to any of the baseless accusations that you posted so, do you REALLY want to compare facts, i doubt it. The last time i checked golf companies were in the bussiness to make money or did you not know that. No i don't work for Wilson i'm just telling the rest of the story that you forgot to include in you're little 2 year old hissyfit. If you don't like it OH WELL, get over it or ignore my posts i really could not care any less. [/size]

[quote name='borker' timestamp='1292834324' post='2849521']

[/quote]

Wilson Sports has been making Golf Balls many years prior to Callaway or Taylormade getting involved in the Ball Market.
Also, Edwin Watts had 15 Ball Packs of Wilson Staff Zip's for $14.98 week before last, and Global Golf on-line had the Fifty's (50/50's) for under $10 per dozen.
Even Wal-Mart carry's Wilson Staff & Wilson Balls, and in most casses they are less exspensive than the Taylormades, Titleist and Callaways (which are actually the most over-priced balls on the market asside from Bridgestone).
I believe I am correct to say that, asside from some Callaways the majority of other name brands are manufactured overseas. Taylormade bought out Maxfli in order to get their seamless ball patient, prior to that many Maxfli's and Dunlop/Slazengers were made in S.C.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite ball is the TM Red LDP, but I also like to play the Srixon Z Star and TM Penta. I tried the FG Tour out of curiosity after reading all the good press it was getting and came away disappointed.

It is a very soft ball and I had trouble getting good feedback on iron shots. I like to flight the ball and found it difficult to adjust compressing the FG. Same feel to it no matter how I attacked it. I also found lag putting to be difficult as well, although I admit the day I gave it a whirl I was using an insert putter, which I normally do not play. The thing felt like I was rolling a marshmellow.

Driving was fun. The distance was good and always longer than I would have expected because of the muted feel. Spin around the greens was OK - nothing memorable either good or bad.

I could never play this ball with confidence, the feel is just too soft and muted, but I can see how some folks take a shine to it.

I've played with the fg tour for a few months now, and I think they're very good. Around the greens the ball performs fine. It spins just as much as any other ball, but it actually rolls better. With a harder ball, the ball jumps up from the green when chipped, but the fg tour ball stays along the ground while still stopping just as fast. Since the ball is softer, the force of initial impact isn't reflecting back into the golf ball as much. For me, it means more holed chips. The feel is great; i tend to like the dull sound it makes at impact with every club, and I don't think i've lost any distance from the prov1 i used to play. One last thing, I don't have too hard of swing (drives end up at about 260-70), so i think the softer ball is better for the slower swinger, which might be why wilsonstaff's tour players don't use it.

The FG Tour is an excellent ball, certainly given its price vs it's Urethane covered competition.
It's overall compression is 90 and it cover hardness 76. It's Srixon, Callaway, and Taylormade competition are all well over 100 compression with cover hardness in the low 80's.
I have played the FG Tour and found it to be very responsive with a wonderful feel.