Paint fill 101

Comments

• ladahlladahl Members  6907WRX Points: 148Handicap: 6.8Posts: 6,907 Titanium Tees
    That R11 looks way better! Great work!
    Posted:
    PXG 0811 XF Veylix Alpina 673
    '16 TM M2 16.5* HL Veylix Rome 888 
    Callaway Epic #3H KBS Proto 95
    PXG 0311X Black #4 KBS Proto 95
    PXG 0311 Black 5/6/7 0311T Black 8/9/W Aerotech SteelFiber 95 S
    SM8 Jet Black 50* ; SM7 Jet Black 54* & 58* TT DG TI Onyx S400
    Odyssey Stroke Lab TEN S

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • thatboygaulethatboygaule IG- RichardGaule Jr. Boomers  1637WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,637
    Great jobs u guys
    Posted:
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
    Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
    Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
    Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
    Odyssey #7[/font]
  • Sean25rpSean25rp Members  3007WRX Points: 0Posts: 3,007
    R11 looks amazing!
    Posted:
  • payl8trpayl8tr Members  18WRX Points: 0Handicap: 17.4Posts: 18
    Fantastic post!

I'm going to give this a try this weekend. I haven't had any luck locating any Tal-Strip in Fargo ND, so I'm going to Autozone and try the Rustoleum equivalent. Cleared out the local Hobby Town store of it's Tamiya Acrylics and grabbed a box of toothpicks from Target.

Wish me luck!
    Posted:
  • mr.mike07mr.mike07 Members  323WRX Points: 53Posts: 323 Greens
    the smokey black look on page 2.....the fastback....how did you get the paint to look like that? i want to try it.
    Posted:
  • MarkVangMarkVang Members  35WRX Points: 0Posts: 35
    Didn't follow your guide when i was paint filling my putter, thats a shame, took me a while to make it right..

I will use it for my wedges! Thanks for the effort putting up this guide! Well done!

Here is my custom Scotty! (The colours are orange and black)

Cleaning the putter:

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TxstcatmanTxstcatman Members  884WRX Points: 41Posts: 884 Golden Tee
    Here's my contribution. Hardest part for me has to have been the stamped CG/Text area on the wedges and also the lines on the Splits. Clean-up was a little rough, but they're ok. I decided to go back and add a coat of Tamiya clear. I used acrylics I found at a hobby shop and so far they've held up through a few rounds and range sessions.

ironsm.jpg

irons2.jpg

wedges.jpg

wedges2.jpg

I may re-do these when I've got more time in my evenings, but I'm happy with them right now.
    Posted:
  • Avg HackerAvg Hacker Members  2WRX Points: 0Posts: 2
    Hey guys, been reading up on this thread for a while and finally decided to dive into the process and give it a shot at my vokey's. It is definitely an easy process to do but if u want it to look good u have to take ur time and do it right. I'm probably gonna strip this paint job off and try it over again to get the blue a little lighter, but all in all pretty pleased with my first shot. Hope u enjoy

6937547119_8ef9973545.jpg
    Posted:
  • GrimGrim Members  556WRX Points: 0Posts: 556
    Got some VR Pro Combos sitting now with Citristrip on them ( believe thats the stripper I got ) didnt have the other kind the OP mentioned but this says safe to use indoors and safe on all metals, and so far on the test iron I used the paint came out no problem.

Will post pics as I finish them in the next few days, nothing but rain in the forecast so I got til this weekend to finish.
    Posted:
  • GrimGrim Members  556WRX Points: 0Posts: 556
    So here are the Combos without the paintfill.

Actually look **** like this but I know ill eventually put paint in.

NOTE: To anyone who has been thinking about doing this with their Pro Combos BE CAREFUL!!!! The 3-7 irons on the bottom whre the swoosh is under the VR Pro label will scratch with a steel brush very easily!!! I was so *angry* so I had to completely scrub whatever cheap finish they put on those irons in that area. Other than that no problems.

nike222.jpg
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Jack1064Jack1064 Members  55WRX Points: 0Posts: 55
    So I just wanted to throw my two cents in here, the first time

I tried to remove paint fill I used a q-tip and acetone. It did an alright job, but I had to keep going over it and then scrape with a toothpick. The next day I decided to get some Tal-strip, $6.99 spray bottle at advance auto parts. I sprayed just a little on a q-tip and barely put any on the paint. I let it sit for about 5 min and it was already about falling out, but I took a basic iron cleaning brush, copper, and barely scrubbed it while running under water and it was done in about 10 seconds. Tal-strip is the way to go, so for any guys holding out with acetone, do yourselves a favor and go get this stuff!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MaxPower328MaxPower328 Members  1135WRX Points: 41Posts: 1,135 Platinum Tees
    This thread has inspired me. I am going to try this to my clubs this weekend. I have a set of MP-32s. Is there anyone out there that can simplify the supplies I will need into 1 short list? I have tried to look back in the thread, but am a little confused on the right supplies to have. I understand the steps and the technique, but want to buy the right stuff.

So what do I need? Many thanks!
    Posted:
    915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
    915F 15* Diamana White
    915H 21* Diamana White 90
    712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
    Scotty Cameron GoLo
    Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
    WITB Link
  • SteveL1SteveL1 St. Louis, MOMembers  1413WRX Points: 110Handicap: 4.8 Posts: 1,413 Platinum Tees
    Here's my list of what you need:

Acetone

Paint

Tooth pick or small brush

Paper towels

That's it.
    Posted:
  • Konopski2Konopski2 Western New YorkMembers  397WRX Points: 60Handicap: 8.4Posts: 397 Greens
    Great step by step. I have done my 2 wedges and will have to post pics later.

The putter looks great
    Posted:
  • RGrinn13RGrinn13 Corning, NYMembers  168WRX Points: 65Posts: 168 Fairways
    Grim,

Those Nike's look perfect without the paint fill. I would consider keeping them that way if I were you. Good luck either way.
    Posted:

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]WITB Link[/font]

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° - HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
    Callaway Epic 5W - Stock HZRDUS T800 6.0
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i - HZRDUS Black 6.0

Taylormade P790 3i - TT DG 105 S300
    Callaway '18 X-Forged 4-P - TT DG S300
    Vokey SM7 Raw 52° - TT DG AMT White S300
    Vokey TVD Oil Can - 58° TT DG S200

Scotty Cameron - Select Newport 2.5

Scotty Cameron - Futura 5W
    Scotty Cameron - Newport Beach 1.5
    Taylormade TP5x

[font=georgia,serif][font=georgia,serif]Twitter-icon.png[/font][/font] lDLcKyO.png?1

SteveL1 wrote:

Acetone

Paint

Paper towels

That's it.

Alright I have my supplies. Going to take a run at my putter and driver tonight. Will post my results when finished.
    Posted:
    915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
    915F 15* Diamana White
    Scotty Cameron GoLo
    WITB Link

Advertisement

SteveL1 wrote:

Acetone

Paint

Paper towels

That's it.

Alright I have my supplies. Going to take a run at my putter and driver tonight. Will post my results when finished.

Well here is my first attempt. I decided to fill my Scotty with Red and Black. Also did a little work on my driver to black out all the writing on the sole. It was definitely a learning experience and will only get better I hope. I used Acetone, Acrylic paint (couldn't find Tamiyama brand), toothpicks, q-tips, and a tooth brush. The stripping of the paint took longer than I thought. After brushing with the acetone I had to dig in with the tooth picks to dig out the paint in the writing on the Scotty. Might experiment with some different colors later in the summer.

Stripped Scotty...To be honest I contemplated keeping this look. I thought it looked really cool.

Posted:
    915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
    915F 15* Diamana White
    Scotty Cameron GoLo
    WITB Link
  • AC-GolfAC-Golf Members  807WRX Points: 82Handicap: 3Posts: 807 Golden Tee
    payl8tr wrote:

Fantastic post!

I'm going to give this a try this weekend. I haven't had any luck locating any Tal-Strip in Fargo ND, so I'm going to Autozone and try the Rustoleum equivalent. Cleared out the local Hobby Town store of it's Tamiya Acrylics and grabbed a box of toothpicks from Target.

Wish me luck!

I had the same problem and bought the Rustoleum Aircraft Stripper... it works really well. Tried it on 3 different finishes, chrome, satin, and my black Srixon wedge. All fine,
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ 10.5 - GD YS7 Stiff
    Callaway 815 14 - GD YS7 Stiff
    Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21 - Tensei Pro White 90 S
    Bridgestone J15 DF/CB 5-PW - RIP Tour 90 R
    Bridgestone J15 50 - Modus 120
    Miura 54, 57C - KBS Tour
    Byron Morgan DH89
    I went with red, white, and blue and some golf pride patriot grips.
    Posted:
    Miura 54, 57C - KBS Tour
    Byron Morgan DH89
    Jack1064 wrote:

So I just wanted to throw my two cents in here, the first time

I tried to remove paint fill I used a q-tip and acetone. It did an alright job, but I had to keep going over it and then scrape with a toothpick. The next day I decided to get some Tal-strip, $6.99 spray bottle at advance auto parts. I sprayed just a little on a q-tip and barely put any on the paint. I let it sit for about 5 min and it was already about falling out, but I took a basic iron cleaning brush, copper, and barely scrubbed it while running under water and it was done in about 10 seconds. Tal-strip is the way to go, so for any guys holding out with acetone, do yourselves a favor and go get this stuff!

I agree. I got the big can of the rustoleum equivalent. And it makes it so easy. If you let it sit 10 min, you can almost wipe it off with a paper towel.
    Posted:
    Miura 54, 57C - KBS Tour
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • vol_in_arvol_in_ar Members  259WRX Points: 0Posts: 259
    NIce work, AC and MAX
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • RooneyTunesRooneyTunes Members  201WRX Points: 40Posts: 201 Fairways
    Recently used almost the same exact technique to fill my Scotty, very happy with the results.

dsc04029.jpg

dsc04034.jpg

dsc04038.jpg

and while I was at it I replaced the grip as well....

dsc04035.jpg
    Posted:
  • JeffBJeffB Twitter @JeffyBrogan Members  162WRX Points: 70Posts: 162 Fairways
    Just got done doing some of my clubs as well. I tried to go with a red white blue mix. The irons are MP-57s Some of it is hard to see the colors but oh well.

Before pictures

Posted:
  • TidiliwompTidiliwomp Members  169WRX Points: 0Posts: 169
    Just finished my wedges! Thanks for the guide!
    Posted:
  • vol_in_arvol_in_ar Members  259WRX Points: 0Posts: 259
    just stripped my wifes Hogan Princess'..Took the red paint fill off the numbers, and the red and gold off the back of the club face..going to replace with lavender and white...

The stripping went really good, noe I just need time to redo the paint fill
    Posted:
  • ToughasNailsToughasNails Members  263WRX Points: 45Posts: 263 Bunkers
    Has anyone paint filled the Ping i20's? 5 rounds in the desert while on vacation already chipped the U on my wedge. Thinking of doing that the the face sight lines.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members  10610WRX Points: 372Handicap: 40Posts: 10,610 Titanium Tees
    FYI, ping will refinish your irons for free if you are in AZ
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • c5driverc5driver Members  216WRX Points: 0Posts: 216
    I'm sure it is some where in this thread but I don't have the time to read it completely.

What is the best type of paint to use?

A playing partner that I have suggested "Airplane Dope" for model airplanes. It just seems that might be a little thick?

Car touch up paint possibly???

Thanks!
    Posted:
  • ToughasNailsToughasNails Members  263WRX Points: 45Posts: 263 Bunkers
    Acrylic paints, most on here say Testors or Timiya...... Can I send it out to them (Ping in AZ) for free refinishing? If I knew that I would have left it out there (played troon, legends trail, mcCormick, and talking stick) once I was done playing.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • RRFirebladeRRFireblade AKA Jay. Members  4784WRX Points: 64Handicap: +6.2Posts: 4,784 Titanium Tees
    c5driver wrote:

I'm sure it is some where in this thread but I don't have the time to read it completely.

What is the best type of paint to use?

A playing partner that I have suggested "Airplane Dope" for model airplanes. It just seems that might be a little thick?

Car touch up paint possibly???

Thanks!

Personally I like nail polish.

Dries fast, hard as nails (ha), cheap, readily available in millions of colors, super easy clean up, super easy to work with.
    Posted:
    XRP 8.5* XS
    XRP #3 XS
    Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
    Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
    Scotty Studio Select Custom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.