Paint fill 101

Comments

• PudgelewisPudgelewis <>< Members Posts: 3,694 ✭✭

So Ive done some extensive tal strip testing. Finding anything and everything to slather it on to test it out. Tal strip has not damaged any metal at all. None. I declare it safe for all metals. And it will remove any and all paints. [size="2"]The one thing I havnt been able to determine is if it would damage a black ox finish.

[/size]

So is this a safe process for Adams PVD finishes? I'd like to do the paint on my A4 Tours but would like to know what works best without harming the finish. Another member suggested Citri Strip.
  • Russ757Russ757 Members Posts: 7,654 ✭✭

Oh yeah...why isnt this a sticky yet?

Agree, this should be a sticky. I need to change out some paint on the R9 "9"s and gonna try the Tal Strip and qtip method... Thanks!
    WITB Link
    Bag 1
    TM 2017 M2 10.25 * Tour Ad DI 6
    TM 2017 3HL 16.5* Tour Ad Di 7
    TM M1 Rescue 19.5 Tour Ad Di 85
    Srixon U65 22* Tour Ad 95
    Srixon 565/765 5-9 110 Fibers
    Cleveland RTX 4 47*, 51*, 55*, 59* 125 Fibers
    Cameron Del Mar

Bag 2
    Cobra F6+ 10.5 * Fubuki Alpha 70
    Cobra Baffler 16* Fubuki Ax 85
    Cobra F7 19.5* Fubuki Ax 465
    Cleveland 588 MT 4 95 Fiber
    Srixon ZTX-2 5-PW 110 Fiber
    Cleveland RTX2 51*, 55* 59* 125 Fiber
    Odyssey X Milled 9ht
  • HuckleBogey_FinnHuckleBogey_Finn Members Posts: 339
    Pudgelewis wrote:

So Ive done some extensive tal strip testing. Finding anything and everything to slather it on to test it out. Tal strip has not damaged any metal at all. None. I declare it safe for all metals. And it will remove any and all paints. [size="2"]The one thing I havnt been able to determine is if it would damage a black ox finish.

[/size]

So is this a safe process for Adams PVD finishes? I'd like to do the paint on my A4 Tours but would like to know what works best without harming the finish. Another member suggested Citri Strip.

I have not done it on an adams club specifically so I cant say for certain. I havnt had any issues yet with any finishes, but of course the first time I say "I guarantee it wont hurt" is the first time it does. Citri Strip works decent too. Theres just nothing like tal strip and 5 minutes... image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':partytime2:' />
    I am really happy/proud of this last one. A Scotty California Montery that I did with Tamiya translucent Blue, green, yellow and orange

• FutureScratchGolferFutureScratchGolfer Members Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Dude does great work. Inspired me to paintfill my SV Tour wedges. The paint legit came out perfect the first time I just dont like the colors!! (Yellow and red on the black sv tour) I think Im going with all red this time. Ill post pics when Im done. Awesome hobby.
    Titleist TS2 10.5* Tensei Blue
    Titleist TS2 15* Tensei Blue
    Titleist 818H1 19* Tensei Blue
    Titleist AP3 4-G True Temper XP 95
    Titleist SM7 54* True Temper XP 95
    Titleist SM7 58* True Temper XP 95
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec
    Yeah it can be a lot of fun. Look forward to seeing the results!
  • BNich0622BNich0622 Members Posts: 4,244
    Stick this thread!!
    G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
    G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
    G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
    iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
    Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
    Ping Vault 2.0 ZB
  • mr.hahamr.haha Members Posts: 439 ✭✭

Pudgelewis wrote:

[/size]

I have not done it on an adams club specifically so I cant say for certain. I havnt had any issues yet with any finishes, but of course the first time I say "I guarantee it wont hurt" is the first time it does. Citri Strip works decent too. Theres just nothing like tal strip and 5 minutes... image/partytime2.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':partytime2:' />

i plastered the face of my 910's with tal strip and the PVD (i assume its PVD) on the titleist faces showed now ill effects. however, the tal strrip was only on the club face for at most 10 minutes.

mods: please sticky this thread!
    JBeam 435 Black 10* 7 Dreamers Distance
    AGrind 18* Driving Iron
    Japanese Open Model CB - Modus 120X 4-PW
    SYard XV 3w 15* Crazy FW80 SX
    SYard Bold 50* & 56*
    Machine Damascus M10
    Glad to head it didnt affect the finish! Didnt think it would!
  • polarisdude94polarisdude94 Members Posts: 263
    Does the enamel look better than the acrylic? also does the acetone added make it have that translucent color, or just the glossy finish? Also, will using the acetone with acrylic still give the same glossy finish?
    The translucent is actually a type from tamiya. I prefer the acrylics over the enamels. The acetone is just for clean up. You don't want to apply it directly to the paint because it would strip it off. If you do the paint right and let it dry you should have a nice gloss finish, unless you use matte paint of course. image/wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • polarisdude94polarisdude94 Members Posts: 263
  • CassinoNorthCassinoNorth Recovering club ho Members Posts: 1,329

I am really happy/proud of this last one. A Scotty California Montery that I did with Tamiya translucent Blue, green, yellow and orange

Wow, awesome. In love with the stripped finish/blue paintfill.
    It's up for trade on the bst. Check out my ad
  • CassinoNorthCassinoNorth Recovering club ho Members Posts: 1,329
    Ha maybe if it was a Del Mar. I'm a heel shafted kinda guy.
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXASMembers Posts: 6,039 ✭✭
    great DIY
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec
  • AirMailAirMail Imagine there were no hypothetical situations. Members Posts: 774
    Sticky this thread!

Where can I find this clear acrylic paint guys...thanks
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]King LTD Pro 8.5* Rogue 60X[/font][/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* Motore Speeder 865X[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 716 CB 4-PW DG AMT X100
    SM6 52*08F, 56*10S, 60*04L S400
    Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser V-Line
    Titleist Pro V1x
    [/font][/font]
  • TAG617TAG617 Members Posts: 678
    You can find the Tamiya paints at any Hobby Shop or even on Ebay...

When I was doing mine I just googled hobby shops in (town name) and there was one about 10 mins away. I never even knew it was there...
  • mr.hahamr.haha Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    TAG617 wrote:

You can find the Tamiya paints at any Hobby Shop or even on Ebay...

When I was doing mine I just googled hobby shops in (town name) and there was one about 10 mins away. I never even knew it was there...

+1 to your statement. Forget testors and go with tamiya acrylic only. gloss and clear are the best options imo
    JBeam 435 Black 10* 7 Dreamers Distance
    AGrind 18* Driving Iron
    Japanese Open Model CB - Modus 120X 4-PW
    SYard XV 3w 15* Crazy FW80 SX
    SYard Bold 50* & 56*
    Machine Damascus M10
    no tamiya in my area so i used testors gloss black and white. only wanted to change the iron #'s on my sticks and wedges. came out very nice and clean.
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    only thing, my wedges were brand new, only hit one round. they were vokey w/ black nickel finish and the acetone rubbed some finish off on the bottom. no biggie, now that they're broken in, the bottom has rubbed off some with play.
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
  • jay8sjay8s Members Posts: 126
    Started my Tommy Armour 845s' last night. I am planning on doing one club at a time. Thinking St. Louis Blues theme, Blue and Gold for the 9 and wedges, and Red and Orange for the 3-8. I will post up as soon as one is done.
  • bigmacmdmbigmacmdm Members Posts: 161 ✭✭
    Very good! Thanks for the tutorial. Looks great!
  • RRFirebladeRRFireblade AKA Jay. Members Posts: 4,782
    Just a thought I'd throw out there , sorry if it was mentioned before , Nail polish works extemely well for this.

It's cheap and available everywhere ,comes in thousands of colors ,opacities , pearls , metallics, etc. Drys super fast so you can do dozens of options in an evening and is very easy to clean up.

You can even cut it with acetone for additional transparency. Durability is very good as well and typically lasts me (on the sole) a full season easy. Back of the clubs last indefinately.

Just another option.

Nice thread.
    XRP 8.5* XS
    XRP #3 XS
    Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
    Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
    Scotty Studio Select Custom
  • AirMailAirMail Imagine there were no hypothetical situations. Members Posts: 774
    edited Apr 11, 2011 #86
    Another question,

-whats the best way to 'thin' the paint, asuming I will be using acrylics.....will acetone not be appropriate...maybe use 'paint thinner'...what to use with acrylics? (Edit, just googled, and Tamiya sells its own thinners specifically for their acrylics...)

Also- anyone tried using a syringe with a needle to do the lettering fill and small area's...maybe with more precision and ease? Thanks
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]King LTD Pro 8.5* Rogue 60X[/font][/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* Motore Speeder 865X[/font]
    [font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 716 CB 4-PW DG AMT X100
    SM6 52*08F, 56*10S, 60*04L S400
    Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser V-Line
    Titleist Pro V1x
    [/font][/font]
  • TAG617TAG617 Members Posts: 678
    Rubbing alcohol works well to thin the paint as the OP mentioned.

I usually just use toothpicks to do the paint-fill since you don't have to be perfect, any excess can be cleaned up with acetone.
    -ST- wrote:

Another question, -whats the best way to 'thin' the paint, asuming I will be using acrylics.....will acetone not be appropriate...maybe use 'paint thinner'...what to use with acrylics? (Edit, just googled, and Tamiya sells its own thinners specifically for their acrylics...)Also- anyone tried using a syringe with a needle to do the lettering fill and small area's...maybe with more precision and ease? Thanks

I have used syringes and needles before (I am a paramedic and my wife a FNP so they are easy to come by) and toothpicks actually work better. Less prep and all that. Tried and true usually the cheap-o things work the best!
  • deckdeck Off The Deck Members Posts: 3,849 ✭✭
    Going to work my way up to doing a scotty as well. Practicing on some old wedges now. Rainy days watch out.
    Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
    Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
    Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
    X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
    Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
    Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
    James Ingles Scratch Handmande
    There is no fear at all of going at it with a scotty...worst you can do is mess up so bad that you have to start over. No big deal. Thats what I love about this is there is no way to damage anything, just make it look ugly and have to do it again.
    Oh and seriously, I am sounding like a broken record here...but c'mon mods...make this a sticky!!! image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />