2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tour golf ball for very good junior

CP_Circa62

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bridgestone RX-S is the lowest compression premium ball with a soft cover. Make sure you go with the 'S' model, which has a softer cover than the standard RX. The softer cover is more like the other premium balls out there, that give you full potential for partial wedge spin around the greens.

Bridgestone RX-S, no doubt

" Don't sell me short with the nxt tours"

I have no idea why that would be "selling you short.". The NXT Tour is a wonderful golf ball for $30 a dozen.

With a high 80s swing speed, you may want to stay away from most "tour" balls and go with a lower compression ball to get full benefits of today's technology. That said, Gamer V2 might be a good choice. If you are insulted by the thought of the NXT Tour, I imagine you'd puke all over the thought of playing the Callaway HX Pearl...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Are you serious!!!!!!!!!! Nxt's are some of the best balls on the market. If you made me pick between that and a prov1 i would take the nxt. But the Zstar is what I play, but i like the bridgestone. And why are those balls not good enough for your game? Just asking questions. I love the nike crush. Im a plus handicap....My professional advice, by a sleeve of every ball you think will work take it to the practice area and hit chips pitches, full wedges, roll a few. And then go play a round with all of them. What works for me may not work for you

[quote name='stifftip2' timestamp='1293810200' post='2867672']
I have been looking for a good lower compression golf ball to fit my high 80's swing speed. I want lots of spin, good durability, soft feel, and distance. Don't sell me short with the nxt tours and distance golf balls bcause they r not good for my game.
[/quote]
SO all the Tour Pro's playing the NXT Tours must be selling themselves short too, or are you better than they are?
A bit of ball knowledge for you young grasshopper. There is not a huge amount of difference between quality golf balls whether they are marketed with the word DISTANCE, FEEL, SPIN or all the other terms used in marketing.
The construction and ball specs for any USGA Legal Golf ball makes all balls perform relatively close to each other. Will a Urethane covered ball spin a bit more than non-urethane, yes, but [u]primarily from the rough only[/u].. 90% of all USGA approved balls are low spin from a driver as well. The max flight distance between all legal balls is like 8 yards, and thats the max, meaning in like a 300 yard drive. Generally its much less than 8 yards.
Go to Titleist website and they will even state that the max distance difference for any of their balls is approx 4 yards.
I would suggest you research facts and listen less to marketing hype. Give Ryan Moore, or Huter Mahan a 2 piece Srixon AD-333 and two hours to adjust to its characteristics and their scoring average will be unchanged.

[quote name='Cwebb' timestamp='1293848023' post='2868605']
Bridgestone RX-S is the lowest compression premium ball with a soft cover. Make sure you go with the 'S' model, which has a softer cover than the standard RX. The softer cover is more like the other premium balls out there, that give you full potential for partial wedge spin around the greens.

Bridgestone RX-S, no doubt
[/quote]

+1 on the Bridgestone RX-S. My daughter is a tournament player with 90 mph driver SS. This ball works great for her. I have caddied for her in many junior tournaments and have observed other kids playing hard covered balls hit good shots that will not stop on the greens. When choosing a ball, start at the green and work back from there. The Bridgestone RX-S spins great and its lower compression design will help you hit it farther than other tour level premium balls.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Thanks for the good info besides cornbread, zooko22, and jabrch. I tried the z stars and they feel very soft (almost like the penta) have good distance and spin alot. The RXS has a very soft feel as well, distance and spin. Idk which one to choose. Btw I take big divots without being steep so I compress the ball pretty good for my swing speed.

My 9-year old son played Cally's old HX Tour 56 for the past two seasons. He gets very good distance with the ball, around 200 yards with the driver. More importantly, he can hold greens with the ball during the hot summer months. We've stockplied boxes when the ball went on clearance at Dick's. So let's see how long these balls will be good for.

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

Titleist 2023 T200 Irons, 4-PW, TT AMT Black R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

To cornbread,
There is alot of difference in spin and feel in terms of gb's. Play a rock hard golf ball like some top flites and pinnacles and u wud wish u r playin a pro V1. If any one has looked at the golf ball chart that golf digest did in June for a50 yard shot there was a difference of over a thousand RPMs. I don't get the control I want with low spin golf balls.

[quote name='stifftip2' timestamp='1293895363' post='2869036']
To cornbread,
There is alot of difference in spin and feel in terms of gb's. Play a rock hard golf ball like some top flites and pinnacles and u wud wish u r playin a pro V1. If any one has looked at the golf ball chart that golf digest did in June for a50 yard shot there was a difference of over a thousand RPMs. I don't get the control I want with low spin golf balls.
[/quote]

With your ss, a proV would likely hurt more than it would help - especially if you take big divots...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='stifftip2' timestamp='1293895013' post='2869024']
Thanks for the good info besides cornbread, zooko22, and jabrch. I tried the z stars and they feel very soft (almost like the penta) have good distance and spin alot. The RXS has a very soft feel as well, distance and spin. Idk which one to choose. Btw I take big divots without being steep so I compress the ball pretty good for my swing speed.
[/quote]
Actually I was one of the few who gave you factual info, not limited opinion..
As for your "compressing the ball pretty good for my swing speed" statement. Anyone with your exact swing speed will compress like balls identically.
Also, if your playing and contacting the ball properly your divot is after the fact of contact, not during, nor prior.

[quote name='stifftip2' timestamp='1293895363' post='2869036']
To cornbread,
[/quote]

You might wish to review some ball facts and stats prior to thinking that two piece TopFlight's or Pinnicle's are harder or higher compression than a Pro V1. You may also need to research Driver spin data on these same balls.
As for "being a lot of difference in spin and feel"... often times (due to ball compression) a lower spinning ball may launch higher than than a ball that spins more, thus the flight pattern/trajectory path is different, however they may land and stop the same due to the different decent angle.

Really interested in why my advice is in question here? People ask me all the time what ball to play, I tell them go buy sleeves of ones the want to try and play with them. Why you dont like them maybe the reason why I do like them! No one has the same feel as you. Go read the tech section in golf magazines, companies do blind tests on their golf balls all the time. I remember one guy, who was about a 6( which is respectable) said the burner felt softer than the tm tp black.......which in fact its not. Plain and simple go try it for yourself. Asking for free advice is excatly that FREE! Dont bash us if its not what you want to hear, sorry

[quote name='Zooko23' timestamp='1293952001' post='2870452']
Really interested in why my advice is in question here? People ask me all the time what ball to play, I tell them go buy sleeves of ones the want to try and play with them. Why you dont like them maybe the reason why I do like them! No one has the same feel as you. Go read the tech section in golf magazines, companies do blind tests on their golf balls all the time. [b]I remember one guy, who was about a 6( which is respectable) said the burner felt softer than the tm tp black.......which in fact its not.[/b] Plain and simple go try it for yourself. Asking for free advice is excatly that FREE! Dont bash us if its not what you want to hear, sorry
[/quote]
Not bashing, but I agree with that guy. The Burner does feel softer than the original TP Black and without a doubt softer than the Black LDP.
That said, I do agree with you that "feel" is subjective and can vary to each individual. Buying several different sleeves to do your own demo in order to see which works best for them,
is good advice. :hi:

Remember that unless you play a "premium" ball with a soft cover, you have no chance of coming close to maximizing your partial wedge spin. No chance. Anybody that tells you different, has not done enough accurate testing to know the facts.

Nobody on any tour that I know of, plays a ball like the NXT. It has a hard cover. Despite what it's inner compression is, you will not be able to maximize partial wedge spin with it. Wedge spin has nothing to do with how soft a ball feels on feel compression shots. You can have a ball with a 40 compression, but if it's got a hard cover, it won't spin much around the greens.

You can't go wrong with the RX-S. If you're serious about taking your game somewhere, do not play a "value" ball like an NXT.

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1293868913' post='2868848']
" Don't sell me short with the nxt tours"

I have no idea why that would be "selling you short.". The NXT Tour is a wonderful golf ball for $30 a dozen.

With a high 80s swing speed, you may want to stay away from most "tour" balls and go with a lower compression ball to get full benefits of today's technology. That said, Gamer V2 might be a good choice. If you are insulted by the thought of the NXT Tour, I imagine you'd puke all over the thought of playing the Callaway HX Pearl...
[/quote]

:good:
I totally agree. First of all you seem like a smart a** who thinks they know better than everyone else which isn't really helping you, and second, you don't have the swing speed for a tour ball. NXT or NXT tours is prlly the best ball you could go with right now. Your gonna lose distance with the ProV1's and prlly get the same amount of spin as the NXTs. Same situation w/ any other tour ball out there. Lose distance and not really gain any spin. If you don't like NXT tours for some reason, and have your heart set on a tour ball, go with Pentas. To me they are softer than ProV's so you won't lose as much distance and they will give you alot of spin. GIVE THE NXT TOURS A TRY THOUGH! and stop being a dick cuz you ASKED people for their opinion.

[quote name='Cwebb' timestamp='1293994948' post='2871024']
Remember that unless you play a "premium" ball with a soft cover, you have no chance of coming close to maximizing your partial wedge spin. No chance. Anybody that tells you different, has not done enough accurate testing to know the facts.

Nobody on any tour that I know of, plays a ball like the NXT. It has a hard cover. Despite what it's inner compression is, you will not be able to maximize partial wedge spin with it. Wedge spin has nothing to do with how soft a ball feels on feel compression shots. You can have a ball with a 40 compression, but if it's got a hard cover, it won't spin much around the greens.

You can't go wrong with the RX-S. If you're serious about taking your game somewhere, do not play a "value" ball like an NXT.
[/quote]

Well said. The cover is more critical than the compression, but if you want the best of both, the Bridgestone RX-S is a perfect choice.

Oh, by the way, I think the Z-Star is a great ball also and was quite surprised to hear someone here say they were rocks. Not even close. I find them to be softer in both cover and compression than many other "tour" level premium balls.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[/quote]

Well, I'm one who has done the research (for years) and do have the ball knowledge... and you are incorrect. Approx 25% of the Touring Pro's playing Titleist Ball are playing the [b]NXT Tour.
[/b]Additionally, the NXT Tour's cover has a Teclock Type C Hardness measurement of 80. The ProV1's cover measures 78 or 79 depending on the year. The bulk of other name brand Tour Balls have a hardness of between 81 and 86.
Additionally, your statement about wedge spin isn't totally accurate either. The Spin benifit from a Tour Balls urethane cover comes primarily on full shots FROM THE ROUGH. There is little spin benefit from clean fairway lies vs an quality non-urethane covered ball.

Although I'm not a Titleist Fan...you really need to do your research prior to belittling a quality product like the NXT Tour.

[quote name='Cornbread' timestamp='1294008822' post='2871453']

[/quote]

Well, I'm one who has done the research (for years) and do have the ball knowledge... and you are incorrect. Approx 35% of the Touring Pro's playing Titleist Ball are playing the [b]NXT Tour.
[/b]Additionally, the NXT Tour's cover has a Teclock Type C Hardness measurement of 80. The ProV1's cover measures 78 or 79 depending on the year. The bulk of other name brand Tour Balls have a hardness of between 81 and 86.
Additionally, your statement about wedge spin isn't totally accurate either. The Spin benifit from a Tour Balls urethane cover comes primarily on full shots FROM THE ROUGH. There is little spin benefit from clean fairway lies vs an quality non-urethane covered ball.

You really need to do your research prior to belittling a quality product like the NXT Tour.
[/quote]

:busted2: WOO GO CORNBREAD! btw ur name makes me hungry

[quote name='Cornbread' timestamp='1293889909' post='2868941']
[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1293851333' post='2868676']
Bridgestone RX-S
Srixon Z-Star
Maxfli Tour LC
[/quote]

The Srixon Z Star is WAY too hard for his swingspeed. Its a Rock.
The Bridgestone is also a bit too firm for him.
[/quote]

what? the rx-s or the z star are fine balls for someone looking for the added spin of a urethane cover in a lower compression ball. i would do like someone said in an earlier post and buy a sleeve of all the balls your thinking about and try them out.

IMO just go with the ProV1, the best all around ball you can buy. The reason I like it is simply I find it to be the best ball you can buy from 50 yards in, you won't really lose much in distance either compared to other balls, maybe a couple of yards compared to a ball fit perfectly for your swing speed. As you grow and hit the ball farther it won't really matter anyway. Again, just my opinion, but I have tried most of them and these balls just work plain and simple.

IMO the most important thing to consider when buying a ball is the short game, this is where you will save strokes, not hitting the ball a few yards longer with your 9 iron.

I don't have a really high swing speed either, I have found the Pro V is just as long off ther driver as any ball, the distance gains I see with other balls usually just show up with the full shots with short and mid irons, and then only a few yards, but my confidence and ability to get the ball close to the hole when I miss the green waaay more than makes up for it.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='Cornbread' timestamp='1294008822' post='2871453']

[/quote]

Well, I'm one who has done the research (for years) and do have the ball knowledge... and you are incorrect. [b]Approx 25% of the Touring Pro's playing Titleist Ball are playing the [b]NXT Tour.[/b]

Although I'm not a Titleist Fan...you really need to do your research prior to belittling a quality product like the NXT Tour.
[/quote]

What? Do you have any stats that support that? That sounds completely made up.

That I find hard to believe... I can only think of a couple guys who have played them in an event and I don't think they still play them.