2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Z Star and Z Star X thoughts, reviews?

TGutHHSGolfer

What are they like? how are you liking em'
Considering They are 25/doz at Target I have been thinking about buying some, but I wanted to ask WRX before I did

Hows the overall performance of the ball?
What balls do the two compare to?
I play the Pro V1X right now, so if you have a specific comparison to it, that would be nice

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play both the ZS and ZSX.

Every year, I buy a sleeve of every Tour ball made. After playing them for a few holes you get a general idea of what you like and how they perform.

I was a ProV1x guy for a long time, switched to Callaway Tour iX. I have been playing Srixon balls now for 2 seasons with no plans of changing at all. I rotate the ZS and ZSX depending on the course.

The ZS has the feel, spin and distance of a ProV1 and and ZSX mirrors the ProV1x. If you have a higher SS the ZSX is the ball for you. I think they are a great ball, very durable, not affected by wind, they feel great off every club in the bag including putter, and I think the Tour Yellow is cool looking......

Until I find something that performs better, they are staying in the bag.

[quote name='SpinMill75' timestamp='1294270040' post='2877145']

Every year, I buy a sleeve of every Tour ball made. After playing them for a few holes you get a general idea of what you like and how they perform.

I was a ProV1x guy for a long time, switched to Callaway Tour iX. I have been playing Srixon balls now for 2 seasons with no plans of changing at all. I rotate the ZS and ZSX depending on the course.

The ZS has the feel, spin and distance of a ProV1 and and ZSX mirrors the ProV1x. If you have a higher SS the ZSX is the ball for you. I think they are a great ball, very durable, not affected by wind, they feel great off every club in the bag including putter, and I think the Tour Yellow is cool looking......

[b]Until I find something that performs better, they are staying in the bag.[/b][/quote]

Wait until you try the new one this year... :clapping:

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1294270492' post='2877162']

[b]Until I find something that performs better, they are staying in the bag.[/b][/quote]

[/quote]

Already have......I think they're awesome.

Like I said, Srixon balls are it!

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1294270492' post='2877162']

[/quote]

Theres new ones coming out? I would say I was excited but the main reason for me looking for an alternative to 45$ balls. Although Im sure if I like them I will shell out the cash like always. No discipline.. :rolleyes:

At $30 per dozen they are the best buy at retail right now. At $25 per dozen that is a STEAL! Thanks for the tip as I will go buy a ton of X yellows. Best ball I have played. Beats the ProV1x for me. I played a round with 1 ball and put it back in the bag with no sharpie marks. Next time I went to play I could not tell which one I had played next to a bunch of new ones. I'm a driver then wedge guy too.

[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1294271519' post='2877197']
At $30 per dozen they are the best buy at retail right now. At $25 per dozen that is a STEAL! Thanks for the tip as I will go buy a ton of X yellows. Best ball I have played. Beats the ProV1x for me. I played a round with 1 ball and put it back in the bag with no sharpie marks. Next time I went to play I could not tell which one I had played next to a bunch of new ones. I'm a driver then wedge guy too.
[/quote]

I think it was 25.99 to be exact, sounds like a good deal. The one time I found a Z star X yellow I would randomly pull it out when I didnt want to play a new ball, and it lasted id say 50 golf holes with only one minor scuff before It jumped into the water on a #17 at TPC Sawgrass like hole. So cheap durable and sounds equal to the Pro v1x seems like a must buy to me.

I like 'em.

I like the X over the regular Z Star.

Although both feel good, I'm a V1x player, and liked it.

It's right up there with the B330-S that I like so much... But being honest, I'm a ball hoarder. I have dozens of balls that I've bought from the start of last year, and STILL haven't opened up.

B330-S and Zstar are great balls and all can be had cheaper than dirt nowdays!

[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1294266865' post='2877043']
Considering They are 25/doz at Target I have been thinking about buying some, but I wanted to ask WRX before I did

I play the Pro V1X right now, so if you have a specific comparison to it, that would be nice
[/quote]

hmmm... the z stars are $39.99 a doz at my target... booo

[quote name='SOONERMAGIC' timestamp='1294321297' post='2878091']
[quote name='TGutHHS' timestamp='1294266865' post='2877043']

[/quote]

hmmm... the z stars are $39.99 a doz at my target... booo
[/quote]

Strange, i just went back and bought 1 doz and they were still 26$

[quote name='ironmikes' timestamp='1294414774' post='2880405']
Having not tried these balls yet, what changes have they made for this year ? is the ball longer off the tee or spin more around the green ? just curious if I should wait to try the new ones or start looking for the old X version at $26 dozen. thanks for any input
[/quote]

With the new line the increased the core size. Larger core, means faster ball speeds, and the new line will have the largest core of any golf ball. Also the cover is softer and thinner, making it the thinnest cover and the softest cover for increased greenside spin.

Also, the XV which is replacing the X will have a dual gradiant growth core to significantly reduce driver spin. What differentiates a gradiant core from the rest of the competition is, a gradiant core is harder on the outside, and gradually gets softer (this is essentially what the penta is trying to replicate with the 5 piece ball, but the down side is, since it does not gradually change, there is a compression jump between each layer, and there is also a loss of energy that goes to the core, that ends up going around the core). Hence, why the Srixon line of balls can get faster ball speeds out of the same clubhead speed.

The new ball will retail forr $44.99 and is not available until 3/1

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

[quote name='dansrixon' timestamp='1294431507' post='2880966']
Having not tried these balls yet, what changes have they made for this year ? is the ball longer off the tee or spin more around the green ? just curious if I should wait to try the new ones or start looking for the old X version at $26 dozen. thanks for any input
[/quote]

With the new line the increased the core size. Larger core, means faster ball speeds, and the new line will have the largest core of any golf ball. Also the cover is softer and thinner, making it the thinnest cover and the softest cover for increased greenside spin.

Also, the XV which is replacing the X will have a dual gradiant growth core to significantly reduce driver spin. What differentiates a gradiant core from the rest of the competition is, a gradiant core is harder on the outside, and gradually gets softer (this is essentially what the penta is trying to replicate with the 5 piece ball, but the down side is, since it does not gradually change, there is a compression jump between each layer, and there is also a loss of energy that goes to the core, that ends up going around the core). Hence, why the Srixon line of balls can get faster ball speeds out of the same clubhead speed.

[/quote]

WoW!!! nice description and to the point Thx for that

Only played the Zx and to me it played identical to the ProV1x in that it didn't do anything for me. I can play a round w either and not feel like the ball helped in any way, never hurt, but didn't come through for me in any discernible way.

The Bridgestone B330-S for me is the low price ball to get now. Love it in the wind, bites when I want it to bite, doesn't when I don't want it to and I see them all over the place for less than $30 (2010 model).

When the Penta comes down to this level, and I've seen them close on K59 I'll switch there bc it plays longer for me and I can control trajectory, but I'd still play 330-S in windy conditions.

Can't really go wrong w Zx if you're coming from V1x

I played a sleeve of both in the fall. I was not impressed with either option. I would put the ProV1, ProV1x, B330 Tour, B330 S, RX-S, and Penta above both of these offerings.

I couldn't get used to the feel and what irked me the most was the feel off the putter face.

It's just my opinion. So I apologize if I came across harsh. I've played a lot of balls and I get most of them for free. Honestly, I would rate the Top Flite Gamer V2 over the Z Star's. THAT is one hell of a ball and for 19.99, JUMP ON IT.

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

Until I find something that performs better, they are staying in the bag.
[/quote]
I absolutely agree with you.
The only one that I see giving it a run (besides an '11 ZStar) is the Titleist [color="#FF0000"]#[/color] <Test> ball.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Fanatastic! Looking forward to it. Thanks

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1294438428' post='2881215']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Fanatastic! Looking forward to it. Thanks
[/quote]

I have used the Yellow z-star X balls for a season now and I have to say its my favorite ball. Seems long off the tee and very durable. Still gives me bite around the greens. I have hit a couple shots off the cart path with now more then a small mark, not even a rough spot. I have shown my playing partners and they cant believe it. Not to mention I like the yellow, especially in the winter, very easy to find.

Ping I25 9 degree x flex
TEE 4 wood
Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
Ping Glide 54 degree
Ping Glide 58 degree
Machine M1A custom

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you for the answer to my question. looks like I will wait for the new line to come out. the XV sounds like just what I am looking for.

[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1294438018' post='2881203']
Honestly, I would rate the Top Flite Gamer V2 over the Z Star's. THAT is one hell of a ball and for 19.99, JUMP ON IT.
[/quote]

I don't find the Gamer V2 to be anything special. I think the Gamers are overhyped and the spin on them is not even in the same conversation as the Z-Stars. No offense, but I think this is a poor comparison at best.

I get ProV1's through my school for the half Sweden price which is the same as more expensive than your full price. In our retail stores we pay 80$ for a dozen of ProV1's or any other premium ball.. just crazy. So I get mine for about 40$ which I think is pretty cheap and I really like the feel of the V1's. But back to topic, I have tried this ball about 3 times and haven't given it a fair tryout. May need to try one when I get to the US in one month.

I was ball shopping this winter and tried the following: Callaway iZ/iS, Penta, Zstar/ZX, E6/E7, and Trispeed/TSTour.

E7 was my summer ball and ProV1x was my tourney ball, but over the winter they are just too hard. I don't care for the Callways even though the iX is just mad long when I crush one. Hated off the iron, and really hated off the putter. The iS is good, but too much spin off the driver, and just short. The Penta is a start, but I have to be on the top of my game to hit it because I had to make sure I put a good swing on the driver to get everything out of that ball. E6 was a good winter ball, but it feel short compare to the E7, spin is pretty good, but with my 60 callaway Jaws that ball only last 2 holes. The trispeed is a winner for durability and distance, but the spin is like a two piece around the green, and the tour is just too hard...

so tried all those different balls, I just bought 1 dz Ztar and 1dz ZstarX. Why:

Zstar is not the longest, but not the shortest. I hit them in between a Callaway iZ and a ProV1. (callaway is just mad long if I get ahold of one.) It spins like a ProV, very durable, and best yet, it is controlable. This reminds me of a softer TM TP red, but longer. Now the ZtarX is a different beast. It's on par with the iZ in distance, but softer and more responsive off wedges... Sure, they are harder, and clicky, but they are still softer the prov1X, to me. And now I changed to a white ice insert putter, all is good. :) And one very surprising find: they are not as hard to compress as the Penta, for me. Overall, I am so comfortable with the ball, instead of spending $26 a dz on E6/E7, I went for the Zstar. It's that good. I played with the yellow version, LOVED it, except these stupid roughs in Norcal gets yellow in the summer, else I would buy them all the time.

I never thought I would be a Srixon man, but I guess I am, at least until these two dozen expires...

In the main bag:

Callaway Great Big Bertha Epic Subzero, 9, weight forward, Diamana W+63s, 45", D4
Cobra Bio Cell plus, 15 degree, Diamana BB 73s, tipped 1/2", 43"
Mizuno MP-Ti, 18 degree, Fubuki AX 73s, 42.5"
Callaway Apex, Kura Kage 80s, 23 degree
5-GW, Ping i20, Recoil Prototype 95s, red dot, + 1/4"
54S, 60C, Callaway MD3, 1 degree flat
Piretti Copper limited, 34.5", 365g, 3.5 loft, 70 lie.

In the Spare bag:

Ping i20, 9.5, Diamana Whiteboard 63s, 45"
Mizuno MP-Ti, stripped finish, 15 degree, Diamana D+ 73s, tipped 1/2", 43"
Adams A12 Pro, 20 and 23 degree, Matrix Altus S
5-GW, Mizuno JPX 825 Pro, Steelfiber i95s, soft-step once
54, 60, Mizuno R-12, DG Spinner +
Scotty Cameron Fastback custom, 33.5", Rosemark grip, 365g