Is it normal for Pro V1 paint to chip and peel easily?

RJRJRJ

I bought a bunch of AAAAA 1st quality Pro V1 balls from lostgolfballs. Condition looked good as I expected, but I notice that the paint peels and chips pretty easily to expose a yellowish color underneath. It happens on many iron shots, but will even happen if I take two balls (golf balls, that is) and grind them against one another. I tried the same grinding with Penta, Burner TP, and some Nikes, and all I got was a whitish dust but no peeling. Is this notmal for a Pro V1, or it is possible that even though these balls AAAAA "look" new, they are actually pretty damaged.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear. It sounds like you've got refurbed balls - in other words that have been sprayed with paint to make them look like new. Unfortunately, refurb balls neither perform or feel as a genuine ProV1 should.Genuine ProV1's incidently aren't painted at all. I'd check the rating scheme from where you purchased the balls to see if refurbs are included in their AAAAA grading scale - if they aren't, then you have a genuine case for a refund or replacement.

[quote name='jaskanski' timestamp='1294783997' post='2889561']
Oh dear. It sounds like you've got refurbed balls - in other words that have been sprayed with paint to make them look like new. Unfortunately, refurb balls neither perform or feel as a genuine ProV1 should.Genuine ProV1's incidently aren't painted at all. I'd check the rating scheme from where you purchased the balls to see if refurbs are included in their AAAAA grading scale - if they aren't, then you have a genuine case for a refund or replacement.
[/quote]

According to their rating scale, they do not sell refinished balls. The supposedly only clean the outside. If Pro V1s dont have paint on them, something is definitely up.

lostgolfballs has gotten very good reviews from a lot of people on this site, so its got me wondering what the deal is.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1294786610' post='2889655']
Email or call them. They will make it right. I've had a couple issues in the past and they have always made it right and plus some.

Overall, LGB is a very good company to buy from. I typically only buy there AAAAA Mint balls though.
[/quote]

Figured id do that if this turned out to not be normal. Thing is, I bought 100 balls and every one that ive tried performed like this. Id try it on all of them but I dont want to keep ruining any more than is necessary.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1294786924' post='2889672']
Email or call them. They will make it right. I've had a couple issues in the past and they have always made it right and plus some.

Overall, LGB is a very good company to buy from. I typically only buy there AAAAA Mint balls though.
[/quote]

Figured id do that if this turned out to not be normal. Thing is, I bought 100 balls and every one that ive tried performed like this. Id try it on all of them but I dont want to keep ruining any more than is necessary.
[/quote]

This is very odd. Did you get AAAA bucket special?

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1294787037' post='2889678']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I bought two AAAAA (5A) 50 ball buckets. I would have bought a 100 bucket but it was $10 cheaper to get the 50s.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='nlv91' timestamp='1294787162' post='2889682']
man up, buy the balls new. Problem solved.
[/quote]

Not constructive to this post.

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1294787231' post='2889685']
[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1294787037' post='2889678']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I bought two AAAAA (5A) 50 ball buckets. I would have bought a 100 bucket but it was $10 cheaper to get the 50s.
[/quote]

I would definitely let them know ASAP as they will replace them and pay the shipping both ways (at least they did for me).

Oh dear. It sounds like you've got refurbed balls - in other words that have been sprayed with paint to make them look like new. Unfortunately, refurb balls neither perform or feel as a genuine ProV1 should.Genuine ProV1's incidently aren't painted at all.
[/quote]

ANNTTTT... Wrong Answer.
Actually New ProV's are painted white prior to being stamped with the Logo's. Its part of the mfg process.

To be legally resold, refurb balls must be stamped with the term ' REFURBISHED'.

I see used ProV's all the time as you have described. I must have 20 or more out in the garage that have flaked, showing the yellowish manufacturing coat underneath. Its is not abnormal for older used ProV's to be found as you have described.

These are 2009-10 model if that matters. So for those that mentioned that its not abnormal, does paint damage affect playability? I assume that the urethane underneath is the important part.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

I haven't tried used balls before. However, every so often I scuff a V1x with a wedge and have noticed that I sometimes can peel away a sliver of white that exposes a yellowish/brown layer below. I just assumed that I was peeling off a portion of the cover. I've always bought these retail and just assumed that's how they are and not defective. I recall this happening with the old Hogan Apex Tours and Maxfli A10's. FWIW, I haven't noticed this with Nike One Blacks or One Tours.

Upon closer inspection (I guess id confused myself) the underlayer is actually a very light pinkish color. Its soft when poked with a sharp knife so I guess its the urethane. I think ill try to cut one in half tonight to see whats going on in there.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1294784134' post='2889568']
[/quote]

According to their rating scale, they do not sell refinished balls. The supposedly only clean the outside. If Pro V1s dont have paint on them, something is definitely up.

lostgolfballs has gotten very good reviews from a lot of people on this site, so its got me wondering what the deal is.
[/quote]

Correction, they do not refinish balls themselves. If they were to pull a refinished or fake Pro V1 from the pond that wasn't labeled as such, they wouldn't know. Personally, the only urethane ball I have seen chip paint are the Callaway Tour i & HX Tour series.

LGB does not sell refinished balls. Period.

The ProV1 is painted white at the factory with a clear coat. When LGB gets balls in they are put through a washing process that can rub off some of the clear coat. So, when you hit these balls with an iron or wedge they are more likely to have the paint scuffed off compared to a new ball. The paint is purely cosmetic and will not change the flight characteristics of the ball flight at all if it is scuffed off. The yellowish color you see when the paint is scuffed off is the urethane layer.

For the record, even brand new ProV1's can have the paint scuffed off with irons and wedges. I really like the feel and flight of ProV1's so it's a problem I can live with.

[quote name='502 to Right' timestamp='1295113492' post='2898610']

The ProV1 is painted white at the factory with a clear coat. When LGB gets balls in they are put through a washing process that can rub off some of the clear coat. So, when you hit these balls with an iron or wedge they are more likely to have the paint scuffed off compared to a new ball. The paint is purely cosmetic and will not change the flight characteristics of the ball flight at all if it is scuffed off. The yellowish color you see when the paint is scuffed off is the urethane layer.

For the record, even brand new ProV1's can have the paint scuffed off with irons and wedges. I really like the feel and flight of ProV1's so it's a problem I can live with.
[/quote]

Good to know. Thanks.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote]

Like hell they don't! I've got at least a dozen balls that CLEARLY say "Refinished By Lostgolfballs.com" on them. They play like Sh*t too! I get all my balls from Dr. Mulligan's Golf Balls [url="http://www.drmulligans.com"]www.drmulligans.com[/url] . More options, special requests and no pen marks in their top grade like LGB's. I can't tell you how many GOOD and BAD posts I've read about LGB's quality, but lately it's been mostly bad.

[quote name='longballguy' timestamp='1296513176' post='2940744']
[/quote]

Like hell they don't! I've got at least a dozen balls that CLEARLY say "Refinished By Lostgolfballs.com" on them. They play like Sh*t too! I get all my balls from Dr. Mulligan's Golf Balls [url="http://www.drmulligans.com"]www.drmulligans.com[/url] . More options, special requests and no pen marks in their top grade like LGB's. I can't tell you how many GOOD and BAD posts I've read about LGB's quality, but lately it's been mostly bad.
[/quote]

They don't knowingly sell refinished golfballs. Retrieved balls that have been previously refinished sometimes pass through the sorting process. As for a stamp, it no longer exists. Hasn't for quite some time. Call them and they will second this.

Dr. Mulligans is a good place to get balls. Very consistent quality and no pen marks, if you care about that sort of thing.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dr.M might sell better quality balls (i.e. no player markings), but they are also significantly more expensive. 50 balls from LGB with free shipping and a 15% off code comes out to about $1.50 per 09/10 ProV1. Dr. M with 10% coupon comes out to $2.10 per ball.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1296515421' post='2940849']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Dr.M might sell better quality balls (i.e. no player markings), but they are also significantly more expensive. 50 balls from LGB with free shipping and a 15% off code comes out to about $1.50 per 09/10 ProV1. Dr. M with 10% coupon comes out to $2.10 per ball.
[/quote]

Actually your math is off a little bit. DMGB's mint 09-10 Pro V1's comeout to $1.80/ball with your 10% coupon. For 30 cents more I'll take a ball that looks brand new over pen marked balls everyday of the week. I know that's not everybody's preference, but it is mine. LGB tends to mix in lower grade balls to justify lower prices. I've read that a few times on Golfwrx. I really like the fact that I can request specific ball numbers, no logos or all logos. That's something that I don't see any other site doing. Just my opinion. I will usually wait till I see the balls I want go on sale or wait on a coupon code anyway. So rarely do I ever pay full price on DMGB's site.

[quote name='longballguy' timestamp='1296525833' post='2941378']
[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1296515421' post='2940849']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually your math is off a little bit. DMGB's mint 09-10 Pro V1's comeout to $1.80/ball with your 10% coupon. For 30 cents more I'll take a ball that looks brand new over pen marked balls everyday of the week. I know that's not everybody's preference, but it is mine. LGB tends to mix in lower grade balls to justify lower prices. I've read that a few times on Golfwrx. I really like the fact that I can request specific ball numbers, no logos or all logos. That's something that I don't see any other site doing. Just my opinion. I will usually wait till I see the balls I want go on sale or wait on a coupon code anyway. So rarely do I ever pay full price on DMGB's site.
[/quote]

I was basing it on the listed price of $24.95/doz -10% + $10.00 shipping for 4 dozen at DM and $89.95 - 15% for a 50 bucket from LGB. I do like the option to customize the order at DM though. Id be willing to order from them if their prices included special orders.

EDIT: Apparently the 15% coupons are no good right now so I guess its a moot point.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60