Practice Sessions

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Warm up, swing my 3 and 4 iron together to get loose.

2. Hit 5-10 wedge shots to get a feel for my swing.

3. Get working. My number one issue now is alignment, so I set a club down pointed at my target and position my feet to it. I'll use it for three shots, and then I take the club away for the fourth and try to hit my target without the iron. After the swing I'll grab the club and check to make sure I was aimed the right way.

4. Hit 5-10 shots with each club in the bag, and I can't get the next club until I hit 3 solid shots in a row.

5. With the last 10 or so balls, I imagine a narrow fairway in the range and try to hit as many "fairways" as possible.

6.Breaktime-5 Minutes and a Gatorade and I'm ready for short game.

7. 30 Minutes putting, can't leave until 10 3-footers are made.

8. 15 Minutes chipping

9. 10 Minutes sand shots

10. Go to the greenside rough and drop 5 balls, can't leave until I get them all up and down.

This is my longer practice session, but if I'm hitting the ball well I'll spend about 20 minutes on the long game and spend more time on putting.

This is what I do during my normal practice session....

1. Warmup with stretching for 10 mins....

2. Hit half wedge shots to get a feel for swinging for 10 mins....

3. Hit 10 or so full wedges....

4. Move on to my 8 iron.....hit some shots for say 15 mins....

5. Move on to my 4 iron.....hit some shots for say 10 mins....

6. Go to my hybrid and hit for say 10 mins....

7. Hit some 3 woods for 10 mins....

8. Some drivers for another 10 mins...

9. Back to my 8 iron for another 5 mins...

10. Take a break and go get lunch for a half hour or so....

11. Putt for 20 mins....all lag putts....

12. Chip and hit some pitches for 20 mins...

13. Bunker shots for 10 mins...

14. Then I practice short and medium putts for 30 mins....

15. And then sometimes I play nine holes...

Hope this helps,

Sean.

PRACTICE SESSION

-Start with knocking around putts and chips to get myself warmed up for around 15 minutes (just a warm up, not working on anything)

-I'll hit range balls for an hour....from full wedges through driver

-I'll then hit pitch/bunker shots for close to 45 minutes

-Following with 20 minutes of chipping

-Finish with about 30 minutes of putting

PRACTICE SESSIONS:

Session 1: Putting For 18 Holes On The Putting Green W/ 3 Balls------------- 25 Mins

Hitting 15 Pitch Shots Each To The 50 And 75 Yard Markers------ 25 Mins (50 Mins)

Short Putts Less Than 8 Feet W/ 3 Balls---------------------------- 15 Mins (1 Hr 5 Mins)

Picking Up My Balls On The Range---------------------------------- 10 Mins (1 Hr 15 Mins)

Hitting 10 Full Shots Each To The 100 And 130 Yard Markers--- 15 Mins (1 Hr 30 Mins)

Picking Up My Balls On The Range---------------------------------- 10 Mins (1 Hr 40 Mins)

--------Relaxing Getting A Drink In The Clubhouse---------------- 20 Mins (2 Hrs)

Walking Up To The Pitching Green---------------------------------- 10 Mins (2 Hrs 10 Mins)

Around The Greens W/ 3 Balls Trying To Get Up And Down------ 10 Mins (2 Hrs 20 Mins)

Playing Holes 15-18--------------------------------------------------- 1 Hour (3 Hrs 20 Mins)

Lag Putting--------------------------------------------------------------10 Mins (3 Hrs 30 Mins)

Session 2: Putting For 18 Holes On The Putting Green W/ 3 Balls-------------- 25 Mins

Hitting 15 Balls W/ An 8/9 Iron On The Range-----------------------10 Mins (35 Mins)

Picking Up My Balls On The Range----------------------------------- 10 Mins (45 Mins)

Playing 6 Holes--------------------------------------------------------- 1 Hour 30 Mins (2 Hrs 15 Mins)

Hitting 30 Balls W/ My Driver/3 Wood On The Longer Range------ 30 Mins (2 Hrs 45 Mins)

Picking Up My Balls-----------------------------------------------------15 Mins (3 Hrs)

Playing Holes 7-14------------------------------------------------------2 Hrs 20 Mins (5 Hrs 20 Mins)

--------Relaxing Getting A Drink In The Clubhouse------------------ 20 Mins (5 Hrs 40 mins)

Putting For 36 Holes On The Putting Green W/ 1 Ball--------------- 20 Mins (6 Hrs)

I Go Out At 10 Am When I Do This One

Session 3: Putting For 18 Holes On The Putting Green W/ 3 Balls--------------25 Mins

Walking Up To The Pitching Green----------------------------------- 10 Mins (35 Mins)

Around The Greens W/ 3 Balls Trying To Get Up And Down------- 25 Mins ( 1 Hour)

Hitting Pitches From 30 Yards----------------------------------------- 15 Mins (1 Hour 15 Mins)

Hitting Bunker Shots--------------------------------------------------- 10 Mins (1 Hour 25 Mins)

Walking Back To Clubhouse------------------------------------------- 10 Mins (1 Hour 35 Mins)

--------Relaxing Getting A Drink In The Clubhouse------------------ 20 Mins (1 Hour 55 Mins)

Hitting 5 Balls Each To The 50, 75, 100, 130 And 130 Yard Markers 25 Mins (2 Hrs 20 Mins)

Short Putts From Less Than 8 Feet W/ 3 Balls------------------------ 15 Mins (2 Hrs 35 Mins)

Lag Putts W/ 3 Balls----------------------------------------------------- 20 Mins (2 Hrs 55 Mins)

These Are The Times Where I Have An Organised Practice Session

I Get These 3 Sessions Done Every Week

Any Other Times I Am Either Practicing With My Irons Or I'm

At The Pitching Green

Or Playing 18

Or Putting

If You Doubt I Practice This Much I Don't Blame You! :man_in_love: ;)

Firstly, some of you guys must have so much time to spend on your game. Not bad, though, I wish I did.

50-100 balls on range

Short game and pitching area for 1/2hr - 1hr

50-100 balls on range

Putting green for 20-30 mins

Probably doesn't sound much to some of you but that's about the best I can do at the moment cos I'm lifeguarding at my old school pool which is either 11-3 or 3-7. Tryin to get down to cat 1 by the end of the year though

PRACTICE SESSIONS:

Session 1: Putting For 18 Holes On The Putting Green W/ 3 Balls------------- 25 Mins

Hitting 15 Pitch Shots Each To The 50 And 75 Yard Markers------ 25 Mins (50 Mins)

Short Putts Less Than 8 Feet W/ 3 Balls---------------------------- 15 Mins (1 Hr 5 Mins)

Picking Up My Balls On The Range---------------------------------- 10 Mins (1 Hr 15 Mins)

Hitting 10 Full Shots Each To The 100 And 130 Yard Markers--- 15 Mins (1 Hr 30 Mins)

Picking Up My Balls On The Range---------------------------------- 10 Mins (1 Hr 40 Mins)

--------Relaxing Getting A Drink In The Clubhouse---------------- 20 Mins (2 Hrs)

Walking Up To The Pitching Green---------------------------------- 10 Mins (2 Hrs 10 Mins)

Around The Greens W/ 3 Balls Trying To Get Up And Down------ 10 Mins (2 Hrs 20 Mins)

Playing Holes 15-18--------------------------------------------------- 1 Hour (3 Hrs 20 Mins)

Lag Putting--------------------------------------------------------------10 Mins (3 Hrs 30 Mins)

Session 2: Putting For 18 Holes On The Putting Green W/ 3 Balls-------------- 25 Mins

Hitting 15 Balls W/ An 8/9 Iron On The Range-----------------------10 Mins (35 Mins)

Picking Up My Balls On The Range----------------------------------- 10 Mins (45 Mins)

Playing 6 Holes--------------------------------------------------------- 1 Hour 30 Mins (2 Hrs 15 Mins)

Hitting 30 Balls W/ My Driver/3 Wood On The Longer Range------ 30 Mins (2 Hrs 45 Mins)

Picking Up My Balls-----------------------------------------------------15 Mins (3 Hrs)

Playing Holes 7-14------------------------------------------------------2 Hrs 20 Mins (5 Hrs 20 Mins)

--------Relaxing Getting A Drink In The Clubhouse------------------ 20 Mins (5 Hrs 40 mins)

Putting For 36 Holes On The Putting Green W/ 1 Ball--------------- 20 Mins (6 Hrs)

Session 3: Putting For 18 Holes On The Putting Green W/ 3 Balls--------------25 Mins

Walking Up To The Pitching Green----------------------------------- 10 Mins (35 Mins)

Hitting Pitches From 30 Yards----------------------------------------- 15 Mins (1 Hour 15 Mins)

Hitting Bunker Shots--------------------------------------------------- 10 Mins (1 Hour 25 Mins)

Walking Back To Clubhouse------------------------------------------- 10 Mins (1 Hour 35 Mins)

--------Relaxing Getting A Drink In The Clubhouse------------------ 20 Mins (1 Hour 55 Mins)

Hitting 5 Balls Each To The 50, 75, 100, 130 And 130 Yard Markers 25 Mins (2 Hrs 20 Mins)

Short Putts From Less Than 8 Feet W/ 3 Balls------------------------ 15 Mins (2 Hrs 35 Mins)

Lag Putts W/ 3 Balls----------------------------------------------------- 20 Mins (2 Hrs 55 Mins)

At The Pitching Green

Or Playing 18

Or Putting

You must have an amazing short game!!!

I have two main practice routines.

Weekend routine-the long one...

First hit around 125 golf balls on the range from wedge-driver. for around 1 hour

then i will practice simple pitch shots for around 1/2 hour.

Bunker shots for 1/2 hour.

then i putt for around 1 hour.

Then i play the par three course that is there for around 1 hour for some wedge play practice.

weeknight-shorter

hit balls for around 1 hour

putt and chip for about 1 and 1/2 hours.

it is pretty simple but it works for me.

First off, i play way more than i practice, if i have a few hours to spend on golf it is usually on the course. When i do practice, there are a few things i always do.

i hit 68 balls, thats 1 bucket where i go

-half with wedges

Practice my short game for 1-2 hours (depending how well i'm doing)

-First i putt, 2 balls 10-20ft to 9 different holes until i make one at each

-50 3 footers, 40 5 footers, 30 8 footers

-Chip next, bring out about 50 balls and chip them all for one spot with a target distance, pickup all the

the ones outside the zone and chip at another location, continue until all balls inside the circle.

-Pick 3 locations, one with more green then rough, one with equal rough and green, and one with less

green than rough, and continue until you can get up and down all 6 times.

*If you have time try these drills

1) Put one ball at 1-10ft, and put until you make all of them

2) Pick 5 chipping locations that require different shots and chip until you make one from everywhere (even bunkers)

I used to do those but got tired of being up all night :man_in_love:

hope some of those can be used by fellow golfers

mike

I like to spend my time out on the course, because nothing can prepare you for what you have to do out there. The situtation is so different from the range or putting green. I'm not saying I don't utilize the putting green or range, but the course is where I spend my time, getting the experience I need in. I haven't been playing that long, this is my 3rd year, so I don't have the experience some of you have after years and years of playing.

The range is good when I want to make sure something works in my swing, or to try new things. And warmup before tournys and rounds is when I use the practice green. But if I'm going to a golf course, I'm playing.

PRACTICE SESSIONS:

At The Pitching Green

Or Playing 18

Or Putting

If You Doubt I Practice This Much I Don't Blame You! :man_in_love: :cheesy:

:) ...looks to me like you two are both on the same team...any truth to that? ;)

Holy crap, where do you guys get the time to play? My god, do you guys ever do anything else? I golf a lot but I still have time for other stuff; I don't know how I would if I practiced for hours. I just practice on the putting green putting and chipping, then I play a round, then after my round, I either go home, or practice more putts (but only if my putting wasn't good). I only go to the range or hit multiple balls if I'm having trouble hitting the ball. The most I'll practice in a day is 15-20 minutes hitting balls behind my house (no range at the course) and practice putting for 30-40 minutes. Total, I'll practice 45 minutes to an hour.

PRACTICE SESSIONS:

At The Pitching Green

Or Playing 18

Or Putting

Actually I Normally Do, a while ago it was gone to the pot but its coming back now,

Today: 5 over thru 3 holes, up and down from 50 yards for par

7 over thru 5 holes

8 over thru 6 holes, now this is where i respond

up and down for birdie from 60 yards on 7

8, drive over water, 60 yrd wedge but crappy putt ended up with par

9, par

thats 3 gir in a row when i badly needed 'em but normally i rely on my shortgame to score

I am honestly normally dissapointed from 60 yards or less if im not within 4 foot

Thanks, I work really hard on my short game, today was my 18th day straight out golfing, tommorow going to be 19.

I am defenitely not a long hitter although my friends say I am for someone my size which is really all down to technique, I always seem to go for the pin from inside 60 yards no matter where it is or if i've 2 ft of green to work with and there is a bunker etc.

I'll let y'all in on a few of my games/drills

PUTTING:

Ladder Drill: Sink 5 3 Footers

4 4 Footers

3 5 Footers

2 6 Footers

1 10 Footer

All in a row, miss one you start again, This makes you soooooo consistent from this range!

Round The Clock: Place 4 Balls 3 Feet From The Cup At 12, 3, 6 And 9 O Clock And Work Your Way Back To 8 Feet

Play 18 Holes Putting On Your Putting Green With 3 Balls, Full Pre-Shot Routine For Each Shot But Every Putt That Is Short You Move The Ball One Putter Length Further Back From The Hole, Really Helps You Hole Those Ones Where The Presure Is On.

3 BALL CHALLENGE: Go to the pitching green at your practice area with the most slopes, elevation changes, obstacles etc. and use 3 balls and drop them all in the same place i.e. rough on the right and try to get up and down, keep doing it till you get up and down with all 3 of them, unless you have a really bad shortgame this should only take you about 10 mins. Try to pick a different area to hit the balls from each time you do this. Helps Getting Up And Down For Pars/Bogeys

Last But Not Least Take At Least One Practice Swing For Every Ball You Hit On The Range!

I just remembered about a chipping practice thing. Me and my friend do this sometimes. We go out to a hole where the pin is close to an edge, and we chip at it over and over again with the same club (we usually pick our lob wedges, don't know why, but it helps with tight chips).

The first one to 10 points wins. If you fly the ball in the hole, you get 3 points, if it's a one bouncer then in, 2 points, and if it goes in any other way, it's 1 point. I've gotten really good at tight chips and short chips with this game. It's much more fun then just practicing too.

6 A.m. - 7 A.m. - Workout w/ weights and cardio and stretching

7:30 A.m - 8:00 A.m. - Grab a quick bite to eat

8 A.m. - 12 P.m. - Warm Up By Hitting Every Club In The Bag from LW all the way to Driver Untill I feel comfortable (comfortable range is 10 good solid online shots in a row)

12 P.m. - 12:30 P.m. - Grab a quick bite to eat

12:30 P.m. - 2 P.m. - Putting Drills and work on feel w/ putter

2 P.m - 5 P.m. - Work on Sand shots, Chipping, Pitching, Lobing, Feel shots, and Recovery shots

5 P.m. - 6 P.m. - Read my Drill book, Notes from Swing Coach, Go home Review Videos, Look over things

6 P.m. - 8 P.m. - Work on what needs most help on (Most of the time short game)

Thats on Days I want to Just Work on My Game

6 A.m. - 7 A.m. - Workout w/ weights and cardio and stretching

7:30 A.m - 8:00 A.m. - Grab a quick bite to eat

8 A.m. - 12 P.m. - Warm Up By Hitting Every Club In The Bag from LW all the way to Driver Untill I feel comfortable (comfortable range is 10 good solid online shots in a row)

12 P.m. - 12:30 P.m. - Grab a quick bite to eat

12:30 P.m. - 2 P.m. - Putting Drills and work on feel w/ putter

2 P.m - 5 P.m. - Work on Sand shots, Chipping, Pitching, Lobing, Feel shots, and Recovery shots

5 P.m. - 6 P.m. - Read my Drill book, Notes from Swing Coach, Go home Review Videos, Look over things

6 P.m. - 8 P.m. - Work on what needs most help on (Most of the time short game)

Thats on Days I want to Just Work on My Game

You may like titleist but your sig is huge, we need to cut down on sig sizes a bit because they're taking up too much space in the forums!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this helps,

Sean.

Idk what your handicapt is or whatever........but im just wondering what you practice all the long putts......at the last tournament Tiger made 58 of 59 from 8 ft and in!..........but none outside of 25 feet........im not a coach or anything just thought i might try to help.........Try this drill if you want:

1) pick 3 holes (one will work but different holes are better)

2) set up a tee at 4, 6 and 8 feet on 4 sides of the hole

3) put once form each tee and see how many out of 36 you can make

I think this drill is great and has helped my short putting immensly.....i mean im human not Tiger so i still miss putts.....but i have far les anxiety of puts from like 8 feet and in

Hope this helps,

Sean.

Idk what your handicapt is or whatever........but im just wondering what you practice all the long putts......at the last tournament Tiger made 58 of 59 from 8 ft and in!..........but none outside of 25 feet........im not a coach or anything just thought i might try to help.........Try this drill if you want:

1) pick 3 holes (one will work but different holes are better)

2) set up a tee at 4, 6 and 8 feet on 4 sides of the hole

3) put once form each tee and see how many out of 36 you can make

I think this drill is great and has helped my short putting immensly.....i mean im human not Tiger so i still miss putts.....but i have far les anxiety of puts from like 8 feet and in

I practice lag putts because I don't want to three putt....if I'm playing a long Par 3 or 4 or a reachable par 5 I'm not always going to be close to the pin....I want to makes sure I two putt all of those....it is much easier and less stressful to have a 40 footer and putt it to 1-2 feet than to have a 40 footer and putt it to 5 feet....it makes the next putt a whole lot easier....thanks for your help though.

Sean