2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Just a heads-up

Threads for buying, selling, or trading vintage equipment
Just a reminder that any thread offering to buy, sell, or trade golf equipment, even the vintage equipment we specialize in in this forum, must be posted in one of the appropriate BST threads. At this time there is no except for vintage equipment transactions. While we may create a special vintage BST forum sometime in the future if traffic on this and the other Classic Golf Forums continues to grow, we must use the existing structures for BST and abide by the existing WRX policies regarding BST transactions.

Thanks for all of your support in making the Classic Golf forums a success.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the rules of the site and the BST policies and avoidance of trading transactions here, but I hope there can be some exercise of discretion by the marshalls when someone is, for example, trying to find "XYZ vintage club(s)" to fill out a set.

Unlike the vast majority of transactions in the BST, these clubs are (by their very age) hard to find. IMO, this forum is a the best place on the web for very knowledgeable people who are into classic/vintage clubs and a community that can help each other with questions and even help in completing collections of vintage clubs/sets. There is very, very little action on classic/vintage clubs in the BST.

It would be a real shame if that kind of discussion was quashed in here.

Again, wherever the out of bounds markers are placed, I'll do my best to stay between the lines.

I second drewspin on this. Regardless whether it is Golfwrx, Craigslist or any other website, the typical search engine has its limitations. Therefore, there is generally a lot of wasted time going through results that haven't a thing to do with what is being looked for. To be able to look for a classic club in a classic-only thread would make search time much more productive/shorter.

I hear you, guys. Even though our Classic Golf community is small, it is part of the larger WRX community and is governed by the rules that insure the smooth functioning of BST-type transactions. Believe me, we recognize that a certain degree of latitude is necessary for vintage club collectors. But given the current climate of strict monitoring and enforcement of the BST areas, we need to exercise extreme caution for the protection of the community. Let's show the level of citizenship that I know frequentors of the Classic Golf forums exhibit by being very, very careful. I will go to bat for the unique character of Classic Golf at every opportunity. But help me out guys. Stay within the rules regarding BST as you always do with other aspects of WRX. There are ways to share information about the equipment we love so much. Let's use them all.

I am open for your suggestions about ways to make our community better. Let me know how I can help.

Mods, one suggestion: Could you create a sticky thread topic at the top of this sub-forum which would provide a single place where people could cross-link to posts of classic clubs/gear in either the For Sale/Trade or the Wanted to Buy sections of the BST?

IMHO, that would be a good addition to the classic club enthusiasts here while also promoting the rules of the BST.

[quote name='drewspin' timestamp='1295286942' post='2903290']
Mods, one suggestion: Could you create a sticky thread topic at the top of this sub-forum which would provide a single place where people could cross-link to posts of classic clubs/gear in either the For Sale/Trade or the Wanted to Buy sections of the BST?

IMHO, that would be a good addition to the classic club enthusiasts here while also promoting the rules of the BST.
[/quote]

I will explore this suggestion. It seems reasonable and doable. However, I will tell you that considering the current climate regarding BST issues, it is not a slam-dunk. Be patient, please. It took almost a year, a fair amount of begging and pleading, the incredible good will of WRX's ownership towards the classic golf community, and "good timing" to get us to this point.

I'll report back.

[quote name='hawk59' timestamp='1295286856' post='2903286']
One possibility - There is a Lefty and a Hawaii sub-forum under the classifieds. Why not create a Classics-only sub-forum? Then all we have to do is define "classic".
[/quote]
There is currently a classification for classic clubs in BST. You can classify a club as classic when it is listed for sale and search for classic club listings when you want to buy.

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1295290792' post='2903427']
[quote name='hawk59' timestamp='1295286856' post='2903286']
One possibility - There is a Lefty and a Hawaii sub-forum under the classifieds. Why not create a Classics-only sub-forum? Then all we have to do is define "classic".
[/quote]
There is currently a classification for classic clubs in BST. You can classify a club as classic when it is listed for sale and search for classic club listings when you want to buy.
[/quote]

Good to know. Thanks.

[size="4"]To search for [i][b]classic clubs[/b][/i] in the [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/32-classifieds-for-sale-forum/"][b]BST forum[/b][/url]:

[attachment=714143:classic1.jpg]

To list a [i][b]classic club[/b][/i]:

[attachment=714145:classic2.jpg]

Be sure to [u]re-check[/u] that [b]Classic (pre-metal wood era)[/b] box if you edit your ad as the software will strip that selection if you edit.[/size]

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

• 8 months later...

[quote name='smith5606' timestamp='1295031936' post='2896783']
Discretion is the better part of moderation. (How's that for an instant quote?)
[/quote]

smith5606-

Recently inquiries have been made as to the status of my collection- LH MacGregor Persimmons

Short term- "Are any of these clubs for sale?" The answer is "Yes"

Now that I have joined GolfWRX, I will abide by the parameters set.

• 1 year later...

Just a question.

Is it permisable to anounce the club/clubs are for sale on say ebay, give the ebay user id and handle entire transaction out of the forum?

Using this method, we could take advantage of the ebay and paypal buyer/seller protection safeguards built in there and not have this forum involved in any dispuste

Thanks in advance for your response

• 2 years later...

Welcome ISU. Lots of good folks with a wealth of information in this small corner of the internets.

BST = Buy, Sell, Trade. A WRX sub-forum dedicated to this function.

Ebay is your friend for investigating relative value of items, in this case Apex irons. Generally all about condition of said clubs. Plus we always like pictures to assist in evaluating what someone has. Otherwise, it's just speculation. Here is a link to recently sold Apex irons. See if anything looks familiar:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hogan+apex+iron+set&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=48462&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1"]http://www.ebay.com/...0&LH_Complete=1[/url]

Edit to correct link.

FYI - In the future, you may want to post elsewhere other than in this topic. It's kind of "mod" orientated in focus. The "classic clubs" section would be better.

Regards.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[u]B[/u]uy [u]S[/u]ell [u]T[/u]rade.

The best way I know to get a bead on the value of your clubs is to search on Ebay for what similar items sold for recently. Lemme see if I can get you a link...

Here you go! :)

[url="http://www.ebay.com/sch/ebayadvsearch/?rt=nc"]http://www.ebay.com/...dvsearch/?rt=nc[/url]

Below the blue SEARCH button are modifiers for your search, including Title and Description, Completed Listings and Sold Listings. Clicking all 3 and entering your description of your set gives this result:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1972+Hogan+Apex+irons+2-E&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=53704&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1"]http://www.ebay.com/...0&LH_Complete=1[/url]

I hope that works AND HTH ([u]H[/u]ope [u]T[/u]his [u]H[/u]elps)

{Edited to add: This is a very helpful corner of the Interwebs, Isugrad, as I'm sure you noticed!! ;) I'm just a touch slower than Fella this morning, not surprising 'cause he's such a quick study!! :) }

:wave:

KM

[quote name='isugrad' timestamp='1435760663' post='11868682']
Hello. I'm new here, and this is my first post. Sorry to sound ignorant but what does BST stand for?
Also, can someone please explain the issue with classic club transactions? For example, I have a set
of 2-E 1972 Hogan Apex Irons and would love to know what they're worth if I decided to sell them to a collector.
Thanks.
[/quote]

They are worth $20.52... shipped. I will cut you a check. ;)
Seriously though, Fella and KM have given you the best advice to use. The only thing I will add is that if you decide to post them on our vintage BST you may want to give us a heads up.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have posted some really classic clubs in the proper BST section.

Is it considered acceptable, and/or "proper" to maybe start a thread here, that might direct someone to that listing?

Like others above, while I have hit it OB on occasion in my life, I've never tried to rifle one directly over the white stakes.

Am simply hoping that, while not trying to sell my items on this forum's thread, it would simply point it out to others.

Thanks, in advance...for all the mods do, and the opportunity to be part of this valuable and insightful site!

• 9 months later...

Hey Everyone,

If you have a chance, please take my, "Golf and Child Development" survey I put together to help with my college Thesis Study. The overall purpose of the study is to determine if the sport of golf has the potential to aid child development. I feel like the golfwrx community is very knowledgeable, so Ifigured I'd start here. Thank you all!

Very Simple and Only 8 questions ------> https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FJ26KXL

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. I'm new here, and this is my first post. Sorry to sound ignorant but what does BST stand for?

Also, can someone please explain the issue with classic club transactions? For example, I have a set

of 2-E 1972 Hogan Apex Irons and would love to know what they're worth if I decided to sell them to a collector.

Thanks.

Usually a set like that, unless mint will sell for roughly $75.00