COBRA S3 PRO IRONS Review and In Hand Pics

I thought I'd share these pics and a review of this upcoming set from Cobra. Some might know I usually favor JDM stuff..but after seeing this set for the first time posted HERE at GolfWRX, I knew I wanted a set to try.

Cobra S3 Pro Irons...combo set

Pros-

A “tour” club in the hands of the retail market. Cobra has delivered what we’ve been wanting. Tour proven design, using cavity backs in the long irons and muscle back’s in the short irons that flow together perfectly. Soft 1025 Carbon Steel in a beautifully forged head that will be whistling balls towards the green in effortless fashion.

Cons-

Traditional blade players may not be pleased with the generous sole on the muscle backs and may look for something thinner.

Bottom Line-

A combo set that flows so well together. Soft carbon steel that reminds me of the JDM clubs I usually prefer. I was a little worried about the Cobra brand when Puma purchased it but if the S3 Pro Irons are what we can expect in the future from them, look out!

Review----

Cobra S3 Pro Irons

1025 Carbon Steel

3-6 irons- Cavity Back

7-PW-Muscle Back

Shafts- True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 +.5”

Grips-White GP Decade

Ball used during rounds tested- Srixon Z Star and Callaway Tour i(s)

Looks- The King Cobra has evolved. The satin finish of the new Cobra S3 Pro irons is very pleasing to the eye. Simple S3 Pro stamped in the middle of the muscle and the time tested and recognizable Cobra name and logo on the toe all finished with black paint fill. These heads have a simple, yet classy and clean appearance unlike many of the gaudy colors and badges that most other clubs are now coming out with. I’m pretty old and have been playing golf for over 37 years now. Although I’m all for high tech and innovation, nothing pleases me more then something that brings me back to when golf clubs were a whole lot simpler.

CB’s- Perimeter weighted cavity back, weighted towards the sole. Cavity not overly large or deep yet enough to provides a mental bit of confidence towards forgiveness.

MB- Clean lines with two pockets to the left/right of the sweet spot. The pockets transferring weight outwards and towards the sole, adding a touch of forgiveness yet still keeping the solid feel behind the sweet spot.

The overall head shapes are done very well. The high semi-pointed toe reminds me of my old Gauge Japan blades.

Performance/playability- A combo set that actually works. Now that’s a nice surprise. I’ve made my own combo sets with two or three different heads and have always been able to look down and know immediately which head I was using. If not, after a shot or two with each one, I’d probably be able to tell even if the backs were taped up! Maybe I wasn’t too good making my combo set but then again, maybe the sets weren’t designed to do a combo as much as I thought they were.

The S3 Pro MB/CB's using a design the hearkens the past King Cobra Pro MB/CB, but evolved with softer lines, mild shifts in weight in the mb/cb and of course that satin finish feel good together. Like chocolate syrup and vanilla ice cream…this combo set performs well together.

Mild Cavity backs from 3-6 iron with limited offset, modest toplines and soles perform well from various types of lies. Unlike cb’s with deeper cavities, workability is easily conducted yet enough forgiveness is built in to allow the occasional miss hit.

Musclebacks from 7-PW, the scoring clubs. Again limited offset, modest toplines and slightly thinner soles then the cb’s. Easily workable up/down and side to side. Pockets seem to provide a softer feel on miss hits allowing you to skip the usual sting you would expect.

Feel- Made of 1025 carbon steel this forging really surprised me. I have played numerous forgings from the known Japan forging houses and these worked very comparable to them. The sound at impact was noticeable from my first shot with them. I haven’t played a Cobra iron in probably over eight years. Where I expected a similar sound as those or perhaps a Titleist click, these gave a nice lower pitched whoosh to them. I at first considered it was just because I had struck the ball solidly. After playing a couple rounds and range sessions, unfortunately it wasn’t all me!

The first round I compared the feel with Bridgestone J38’s cb’s and Tourstage 701’s. The sound was lower then the Bridgestone’s and comparable with the Tourstage irons. My playing partner marveled at the sound saying they didn’t sound like the usual American club. Gone was the click of past sets. Gone was the harsh feeling that I’d expect from a US OEM. These S3 Pro’s felt super! I can’t even begin to tell you how surprised I was with them. They truly were the opposite of what I had imagined they would feel like. The softness made the ball feel as if it was stuck to the face just a second longer than you’d expect.

I don't know how Cobra forged the 1025 Carbon but whatever process they used, they got it right.

Overall bottom line- Cobra is in good hands with Puma. Sure this design may have originated while Cobra was with Acushnet but the team moved over and grew. More minds working together to get what we golfers want. The looks, the feel, the flow of combo irons that the Pro’s play.

For the lower handicap golfer who’s looking for the forgiveness of a cavity back and the ability to work the ball with the scoring clubs, look no further. The Cobra S3 Pro irons have made me proud to now have a US branded club back in my bag.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just the photo or does that top line look a little chunky. Definitely thicker than the original Pro CB. Good looking club anyway, just something that popped out to me.

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

[quote name='leftypga' timestamp='1295162208' post='2900195']
Is it just the photo or does that top line look a little chunky. Definitely thicker than the original Pro CB. Good looking club anyway, just something that popped out to me.
[/quote]

It's the photo angle because they are not chunky...like tv makes people look fat. :pardon: I'll have more pics later when there's better sun. Unfortunately we still were a bit overcast yesterday. You might have noticed it during the Sony Open. ;)

really nice looking irons, is ogilvy playing these? He was on the verge of being a superstar, I think last year was a breather for him, and he'll be a force in the majors again this year. I saw him at the pga at medinah in chicago a few years ago paired with phil and tiger, and he looked like he belonged there.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1295164022' post='2900214']
I cant wait to try these. They are looking so good. What is the report. Mizuno thud or slight report back of a click????

R
[/quote]

Truthfully..and really shockingly for the JDM snob in my...they resembled the Tourstage 701's I had in the cart with me too. I know it's probably hard to believe but I was really surprised. I haven't played Cobra irons in probably eight years. I was pretty floored with these. There was none of the clicky sound I expected on first hit. More of a clean whoosh. I'm going to try and slip in a round between the Sony tomorrow for a full report. ;)

[quote name='patrick2011' timestamp='1295164080' post='2900215']
really nice looking irons, is ogilvy playing these? He was on the verge of being a superstar, I think last year was a breather for him, and he'll be a force in the majors again this year. I saw him at the pga at medinah in chicago a few years ago paired with phil and tiger, and he looked like he belonged there.
[/quote]

I believe Ogilvy's with Titleist.

[quote name='chatfieldgolf08' timestamp='1295163101' post='2900204']
wow, those are very nice looking irons!! Nice pics
[/quote]

my sentiments exactly

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

Thanks for the pic's these look sweet!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

The interesting thing is that these can be ordered in any combination of CB/MB throughout the set. Well done by Cobra.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1295206668' post='2901146']
[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1295206305' post='2901128']
The interesting thing is that these can be ordered in any combination of CB/MB throughout the set. Well done by Cobra.
[/quote]

can you order all CBs?
[/quote]

yes you can order all CBs, all MBs or any mix combination

Driver: Titleist TSR4 9.0 (C2 Setting) Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6X
Fairway Wood: Titleist TSR2 15 (A1 Setting) Fujikura Ventus TR Black Velocore 7X
Hybrid: Titleist TSR3 20 (A1 Setting) Mitsubishi Tensei Black 1K 85X
Irons: Titleist T200 4 & 5 (Std) Project X 6.5, Titleist T150 6 iron to 48 Wedge (Std) Project X 6.5
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 52F (Std) 56D, 60M (1 Degree Flat); All Jet Black, Project X 6.5 in 50, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400 in 56 & 60
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5+ 33.5 in; Titleist Scotty Cameron Special Select Jet Black Newport 2 34 in.
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash
Bag: Ping 2023 Hoofer All Black
All other grips are Golf Pride Multicompound Teams Garnet/Gold & Scotty Cameron Pistolero's.

[/quote]

can you order all CBs?
[/quote]
I didn't think my post was unclear, but I'll try again. You can order all CBs, all MBs, or any combination you desire. Cheers.

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1295210208' post='2901281']
[/quote]

can you order all CBs?
[/quote]
I didn't think my post was unclear, but I'll try again. You can order all CBs, all MBs, or any combination you desire. Cheers.
[/quote]

Wow thats great. The reason I'm asking is it's only listing a mixed set on cobras website showing 2-6 in Cbs and 7-G in blades - and I LOVE the fact that a 2 iron and Gap wedge is avail.

Sweet set of irons for sure.

2024 Bag TBD

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1295210372' post='2901287']
[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1295210208' post='2901281']
[/quote]

can you order all CBs?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Wow thats great. The reason I'm asking is it's only listing a mixed set on cobras website showing 2-6 in Cbs and 7-G in blades - and I LOVE the fact that a 2 iron and Gap wedge is avail.

Sweet set of irons for sure.
[/quote]
If you download the custom options PDF, underneath the irons section you will see:

** S3 Pro RH can be ordered as all CB, MB or any mix of CB/MB.

Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote name='bwilliams2125' timestamp='1295207676' post='2901188']
Please tell me the lofts are more traditional than last years. I liked the looks and feel but I need a PW with more than 43 degrees of loft.
[/quote]
Well someone linked the specs already, but here they are for people too lazy to click on the link:

<table id="spec_table" border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="first">2</td> <td> 19.0º</td> <td> 39.50"</td> <td> 60.5º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH</td> <td> RH</td> </tr> <tr class="row_color"> <td class="first"> 3</td> <td> 21.0º</td> <td> 39.00"</td> <td> 61.0º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH/LH</td> <td> RH</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first"> 4</td> <td> 24.0º</td> <td> 38.50"</td> <td> 61.5º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH/LH</td> <td> RH</td> </tr> <tr class="row_color"> <td class="first"> 5</td> <td> 27.0º</td> <td> 38.00"</td> <td> 62.0º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH/LH</td> <td> RH</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first"> 6</td> <td> 30.0º</td> <td> 37.50"</td> <td> 62.5º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH/LH</td> <td> RH</td> </tr> <tr class="row_color"> <td class="first"> 7</td> <td> 34.0º</td> <td> 37.00"</td> <td> 63.0º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH</td> <td> RH/LH</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first"> 8</td> <td> 38.0º</td> <td> 36.50"</td> <td> 63.5º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH</td> <td> RH/LH</td> </tr> <tr class="row_color"> <td class="first"> 9</td> <td> 42.0º</td> <td> 36.00"</td> <td> 64.0º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH</td> <td> RH/LH</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="first"> P</td> <td> 46.0º</td> <td> 35.75"</td> <td> 64.5º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH</td> <td> RH/LH</td> </tr> <tr class="row_color"> <td class="first"> G</td> <td> 50.0º</td> <td> 35.50"</td> <td> 64.5º</td> <td> D3</td> <td> S</td> <td> RH</td> <td> RH</td></tr></tbody></table>

Kind of a strong PW, but the lofts can easily be weakened a little to match your needs. I'd probably weaken by 1* on the 6-PW myself to combat the occasional lowball with my current blades. These look so f***ing cool (this was self-censorship lol). I'd go CB 3-5 and MB 6-PW.

**testing several drivers right now** 😉
Adams XTD Ti Fairway Woods, 15* and 18* with **testing** X-Stiff Shafts
Adams XTD Ti Hybrid, 20* (set to 21*) with **testing** X-Stiff Hybrid Shaft
Adams CMB Irons, 4-PW with KBS Tour FLT Black 120 Stiff Shafts
TaylorMade Milled Grind Wedges, 52-12* (bent to 54*) and 58-12* (bent to 60*) with KBS Tour 125 Black Wedge Shafts

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 Tank, 36" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip

backup: STX Sync Series 8 Putter (Red Face Insert), 35" with SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 CounterCore Grip