Titleist Pro V 2011. Any feedback.

golfnhack

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feels softer with the long clubs, spins more with the irons and wedges.. Putts like a cloud, and flies higher than the previous models.

Durability seems slightly better, but you can still tear 'em up if you mash a wedge into a tight lies with them. I get the same distance from it, as last years ProV1x.. Don't know if that means it's slightly longer, but there was no loss for me playing those two side by side.

[quote name='golfnhack' timestamp='1296785316' post='2949981']
Anyone hit the pro v yet (not the x). How is it vs the 2008 and 2010 models? Durability? Trajectory?
[/quote]

A nitpick, but Titleist releases ProV1's on a 2 year schedule, which has been every odd year for a long time. Thus, there are no '08 and '10 models. They are the '07 and '09 models, respectively.

Compared to the 2009 version, the 2011 version:

Spins more on all iron shots, especially chips and pitches
Softer feel off all clubs, especially the putter
Cover is less durable, by a fair amount
Distance off the driver is about the same
Flight is a little higher off the irons and a little higher off the driver

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1297127118' post='2958892']
Less durable?

I found both balls to be slightly more durable, but nothing to get them in the top podium of lasting the longest. The softer ball doesn't shear as bad, but it's not impervious to a hard wedge.

The edge to the ProV1 for being more durable than the ProV1x this year.
[/quote]

Yes. I hit 10 wedges with each of the 2009 and 2011 versions and looked at them. The 2011 had more chew marks from my wedges than the 2009.

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1297127433' post='2958902']
Less durable?

I found both balls to be slightly more durable, but nothing to get them in the top podium of lasting the longest. The softer ball doesn't shear as bad, but it's not impervious to a hard wedge.

[/quote]

Yes. I hit 10 wedges with each of the 2009 and 2011 versions and looked at them. The 2011 had more chew marks from my wedges than the 2009.
[/quote]

Interesting. Thanks.

I didn't do anything like that, but I took out 3 brand new Vokeys. Like, never even hit a range ball new. It was soggy out, so I wasn't compressing the ball as hard as normal, but I didn't notice anything worse than normal.

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1297127841' post='2958927']
Less durable?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting. Thanks.

I didn't do anything like that, but I took out 3 brand new Vokeys. Like, never even hit a range ball new. It was soggy out, so I wasn't compressing the ball as hard as normal, but I didn't notice anything worse than normal.
[/quote]

No problem. Keep in mind this was in cold weather. 45* F

The balls were still pretty warm as they were in the house (where I store them).

Less durable?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow! That pretty much sums it up for me then. I switched to the Z-star X last year because the Pro-V was hashed after 3 holes and after what I have heard about the new XV from Srixon I will be staying there...

Thanks for the post!!!

Cobra s9-1 Pro D 8.5* Harrison Saga 60X
Srixon Z-Star 15* Dromos 61X
Acer XF 19* Hybrid - X
Cobra S3 MB/CB 3-PW
Mizuno Quad Cut MP T10 Wedge 54/58*
MannKraft Prototype

[quote name='Snuxx' timestamp='1297195651' post='2960826']
Less durable?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow! That pretty much sums it up for me then. I switched to the Z-star X last year because the Pro-V was hashed after 3 holes and after what I have heard about the new XV from Srixon I will be staying there...

Thanks for the post!!!
[/quote]

You're welcome.

I reckon if you are playing the new grooves, the new Pro V1's would be just fine durability wise.

Also, keep in mind my wedges are Callaway X-Jaws. They are ball shredders.

But, apples to apples, the 2009 was substantially more durable (cover wise) than the 2011 ball on my testing.

It was drier here, and I gave myself some tight hard lies.. I took both balls, 100 yard sand wedge shot. Brand new Vokey's. I did it 5 times a piece, since it was getting dark and cold and no one was out there foolin' around.

Both balls actually stayed in a great shape. I put a scuff on the ProV1, but I didn't get anything on the ProV1x. I really tried to smash it into the ground. I was able to get half of them to spin back, so I know I was revving them up.

I'm pretty satisfied with the durability so far. I'll throw a notch on "slightly improved" in the durability factor. I smashed the hell out of the ball on the first tee with my 910. I really like the higher flight from these, very flat!!

I was able to get in some more extensive testing of the new ProV1. I am really digging this ball. I'm just hoping I don't get too much spin in the summer months when the covers are good and soft.

In 40* weather I am able to get a 1 hop and stop from 15 yards with a Gap Wedge. That is pretty impressive IMO. The ball is just a pleasure to putt with. Pure butter off the blade.

Bunker shots come out with loads of spin. I can stop them dead on command using a 52* wedge. Overall, it's a good first impression. Won't know how it performs in hot weather for quite a while.

Durability is a little concerning. After hitting 50 yard pitch shots from the 1st cut, I was getting deep grooves in the cover of the ball. This is a function of my callaway wedges. But, this is noticeably worse than the 2009 Pro V1.

I played the V1x today. Ball played very nice today in the strong winds flight wise. I wasn't striking the ball well today but had a few great shots. The ball does fly higher for me than the Z-Star X. I found green side spin to be the same between the two. The V1x is a little softer feel and does feel softer off the putter. The V1x is noticeably less durable than the Z-Star which is disappointing. After my first iron shot on hole 1 it looked like a full wedge shot but it was an 8 iron. The cover was ripped and scuffed easily. I will continue to play the dozen until they are gone then go back to my Z-Star X surplus. I like the yellow color too.

[quote name='golferallan' timestamp='1297570254' post='2972228']
played a new prov1 for the last 32 holes, 18 in a tournament yesterday and 14 today with some buddies.. the ball seems much more durable then the 09 version with my conforming wedges.. the new line on it is nice as well
[/quote]

With conforming wedges I agree. The durability is great. NO issues at all. That is what the new Pro V1 was designed for, so it's really not fair for me to criticize it when using my meat cleaver Jaws non-conforming wedges. It is a fantastic golf ball in all areas.

I played with it today in 60's and nice dry fairways.

It's indeed longer for me. Not much, but I'd like to think it is.. Love it in the wind, I think thats the best improvement, IMO.

Nice flat trajectory with everything. Wedges really check up. I was coming up short on approach shots because of the elevation changes at this course I played at. Ended up having to do alot of scrambling and chipping/pitching. Once I got the hang of how much it would run(not much at all) I was able to get it really close.

The ball looked good after 18 holes. Same ball I tee'd off with on 1, was the one I pulled out the cup on 18. I could play it again too, so I'm happy.

Durability slightly better than 2009. Got cally MD grooves and I still get shoe strings to pull off.
Distance slightly longer, flight is bit higher but tapers.

Overall, its hard to say. When feeling the ball, it just has a different feel from previous pro v1. Dimples seem different (not as deep?, could be color etc...)

Greens putting chipping ...
New Pro v1x feels and plays like a cally iz without the hex dimples & pop off the putter, lol.

Went back to the 2009 x and played it the final 6 holes. Definitely has different feel, launch, etc....
Its only 45 deg here (which is relatively warm), but the two balls feel very different from each other.

Everybody relax, I’m here

Ugh... Can't believe you compared it to the Callaway IZ.

That has to be quite honestly the worst ball I've ever used, and had the displeasure of paying for.

It's long, sure... but harder than a rock, spins like crap, putts like a marble and gets gashed up like it's made of play dough.

The V1x does have a different feel to it though. The dimples are shallower, and the cover seems slightly harder than previous models. I like how it still manages to spin really well.

I just finished 9 this evening. Played 9 of the holes yesterday with a new ProV1, and the other with the ProV1x.

This new ProV1 has played a solid 27 holes. I even drew a line on it, to see how my putting stroke looked.

I'll post a picture of it later. It's not in bad shape, considering I have new wedges!

Not to mention.. This ball in the last 2 days, has only shot 4 over combined! Not bad from a 10 cap.

[quote name='FATC1TY' timestamp='1297730049' post='2977654']
I just finished 9 this evening. Played 9 of the holes yesterday with a new ProV1, and the other with the ProV1x.

This new ProV1 has played a solid 27 holes. I even drew a line on it, to see how my putting stroke looked.

I'll post a picture of it later. It's not in bad shape, considering I have new wedges!

Not to mention.. This ball in the last 2 days, has only shot 4 over combined! Not bad from a 10 cap.
[/quote]

I don't know how you are getting this kind of life! Your using SM wedges aren't you?

After 3 partial wedges with my 52* the new proV1 looks like swiss cheese. A full wedge would shred this thing. May have to go back to the 2009 version in the warmer conditions to get some durability.

Yeah, I used SM wedges yesterday, they've probably got 2 full, maybe 3 rounds on them? Maybe less than 30 range balls, so they are pretty darn new.

I used pretty new XFT wedges today and they've got maybe 50 range balls on them, and 1 1/2 rounds on them, so again.. new.

I compress the ball pretty hard I think, so I'm not flipping, or swinging like a 10 year old girl at it. We've got relatively firm fairways now that the rain has been gone, and it was almost 70* here today..

Now, the ball doesn't look new.. Infact it looks like garbage mainly because I was a retard and drew a line down the center of it just to see how off my stroke was putting. But it's not really gashed up, considering all the holes I've played.. I'm satisfied to throw it in the shag bag now.

I'll dig it out of my bag and get a picture of it.

Played a few holes today with the Pro V1, very very impressed with my limited testing. Going to play a comp tomorrow and Friday and this will be my ball of choice after my findings earlier today. Distance was as good or better than the other balls I was also hitting today ( Tour i-S & FG Tour), control was exceptional, especially touch shots around the green. Nice feel off putter. Early days yet with this ball but I will certainly be picking up a few more tomorrow before the comp as I only had a sleeve which was given to me when I purchased the 910 D2.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

[quote name='desaille' timestamp='1297658261' post='2975120']
New Pro v1x feels and plays like a cally iz without the hex dimples & pop off the putter, lol.
[/quote]

Glad you dropped the iz's name. IMO Cally IZ is the best ball into the wind I have ever played. I stopped playing it bcuz I didnt like the short game feel.

Hows the new prov1X do in the wind?

2 comps played in the last 2 days, both with the Pro V1. I have found my ball for 2011!, played 27 of those holes with the same ball and had no problems with durability. Ball looked in excellent condition even just before I pushed one out of bounds.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Okay.. another round in.. Mid 70's today, windy on/off..

Played both balls.. Here's my take.

I like the flight of the V1x better, although the regular ProV1 feels nice off ALL of the clubs. Slightly higher flight, feels like it spins more with irons and wedges, and similar with the V1x.

I'm seeing really, honestly very little distance change between both balls.. More carry with ProV1, more roll with V1x.

Putting wise, I think both are close, IMO.. ProV1 being softer feels better with a non insert putter.

Durability is different though. The V1x I was using today, were getting gashed pretty good when I'd pinch a wedge on the tight, drier fairways. I took a ball that was 3 holes old, and screwed it up with a 60* SM Vokey from 70 yards out. Ball spins great, I really like it, but I put 4 good cuts in the ball enough that I couldn't even use a stiff bristle on my club brush to clean them off smooth.

The ProV1 actually being softer, to me, seems to be a little more resilient when struck, and doesn't cut as bad as the V1x. Thats my take on it.. More spin, less damage, but higher ball flight.

Minimally better durability. I got almost 40 holes from 1 ProV1 before I sent it long over the green and into some junk where I couldn't find it.

ProV1 it'll be for me. It's just as long as last years ProV1x, but with more spin and softer!