George Knudson's knee bend

JackieTreehorn ·  
JackieTreehornJackieTreehorn Members  199WRX Points: 0Posts: 199
with his Hogan-like swing
Any comments on George Knudson's extreme knee bend? Is it required for average to tall players in order to swing flat like Hogan? I feel it would be so much easier to swing like Hogan if the ball were a foot off the ground.

I was also thinking there might be an advantage in the "dynamic" part of the swing to have the right knee so bent. The left leg will begin to straighten near impact, and if the R leg stays stable, this will help the hips stay on a tilted (not flat) plane (and bigger players require more tilt).
Posted:

Comments

• jak_botjak_bot Members  628WRX Points: 50Posts: 628 Bunkers
    Didn't Knudson have one leg shorter than the other?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JackieTreehornJackieTreehorn Members  199WRX Points: 0Posts: 199
    jak_bot wrote:

Yes...5/8" shorter he claimed.
    Posted:
  • moehoganmoehogan Members  1111WRX Points: 167Posts: 1,111 Platinum Tees

jak_bot wrote:

Yes...5/8" shorter he claimed.

Which one was shorter ... right or left?
    Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13879WRX Points: 1,440Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,879 Titanium Tees
    In his book he doesnt really talk about knee bend, in fact the drawings of him in the book dont show much, very different than what he did in reality. It seems to me this was a personal adjustment in his method, one he probably didnt think was necessary to the average golfer or a fundamental.

Thoughts?
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
    [/quote]

Which one was shorter ... right or left?

[/quote]

Right leg was shorter
    Posted:
    dlygrisse wrote:

In his book he doesnt really talk about knee bend, in fact the drawings of him in the book dont show much, very different than what he did in reality. It seems to me this was a personal adjustment in his method, one he probably didnt think was necessary to the average golfer or a fundamental.

Thoughts?

Yes I agree book does not show same knee bend as reality.

I am just curious about knee bend...I always hear people say not to have much knee bend and I never hear why. Personally I feel better with a more Knudson-looking knee bend.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • chris_golfchris_golf Members  423WRX Points: 0Posts: 423
    Any comments on George Knudson's extreme knee bend? Is it required for average to tall players in order to swing flat like Hogan? I feel it would be so much easier to swing like Hogan if the ball were a foot off the ground. I was also thinking there might be an advantage in the "dynamic" part of the swing to have the right knee so bent. The left leg will begin to straighten near impact, and if the R leg stays stable, this will help the hips stay on a tilted (not flat) plane (and bigger players require more tilt).
    In my opinion George Knudson and Mr. Hogan had almost the same knee motion - very interesting where they both position the right knee cap at setup and how they use there ankles and knee´s from there, compared to the modern players. I believe as well in your bolt coment - they did it different...with purpose. This vid of George Knudson is destreched, and it does not look like overly bent knee´s, but more than we see nowadays: <object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOO92e_TS_U?fs=1&hl=de_DE&rel=0"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOO92e_TS_U?fs=1&hl=de_DE&rel=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></object>
    Posted:
    M2 8.75 Diamana Blueboard x5ct 73 X
    Cally XR16 3+ Diamana Blueboard x5ct 83 X
    Cally Apex Hybrid 2 18 Diamana Blueboard x5ct 103 X
    Cally Apex UT 21 + 24 KBS S
    Cally MB Prototypes ..R..V / DG X100 5-9 (28,32,36,40,44)
    Cally MackDaddy2 47 / DG S200
    Cally MackDaddy 2 Tour Grind 52 + 58 / DG S400
    Odysse TriForce3 adjustable length
    WITB Link
  • morganmonroemorganmonroe At my desk.Members  383WRX Points: 114Posts: 383 Greens
    If you look at all the YouTube footage of Mr. Knudson it seems his knee action was much less pronounced later in his career. Don't know when it happened but I would hazard a guess that it was probably before he wrote "Natural Golf" and after the above video of the Shell matches. I don't know if it was a deliberate adjustment or maybe age. ?
    Posted:
  • Dariusz J.Dariusz J. BiokineticGolf Banned  3044WRX Points: 0Posts: 3,044
    Also, not coincidentally, Knudson's stance contains a high degree of diagonality, very similarily to post-accident Hogan's stance.

Cheers
    Posted:
  • chris_golfchris_golf Members  423WRX Points: 0Posts: 423
    Hmmm...

Posted:
    M2 8.75 Diamana Blueboard x5ct 73 X
    Cally XR16 3+ Diamana Blueboard x5ct 83 X
    Cally Apex Hybrid 2 18 Diamana Blueboard x5ct 103 X
    Cally Apex UT 21 + 24 KBS S
    Cally MB Prototypes ..R..V / DG X100 5-9 (28,32,36,40,44)
    Cally MackDaddy2 47 / DG S200
    Cally MackDaddy 2 Tour Grind 52 + 58 / DG S400
    Odysse TriForce3 adjustable length
    WITB Link
  • fatsfats Members  1865WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,865
    chris_golf wrote:

Any comments on George Knudson's extreme knee bend? Is it required for average to tall players in order to swing flat like Hogan? I feel it would be so much easier to swing like Hogan if the ball were a foot off the ground. I was also thinking there might be an advantage in the "dynamic" part of the swing to have the right knee so bent. The left leg will begin to straighten near impact, and if the R leg stays stable, this will help the hips stay on a tilted (not flat) plane (and bigger players require more tilt).
    In my opinion George Knudson and Mr. Hogan had almost the same knee motion - very interesting where they both position the right knee cap at setup and how they use there ankles and knee´s from there, compared to the modern players. I believe as well in your bolt coment - they did it different...with purpose. This vid of George Knudson is destreched, and it does not look like overly bent knee´s, but more than we see nowadays: <object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOO92e_TS_U?fs=1&hl=de_DE&rel=0"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOO92e_TS_U?fs=1&hl=de_DE&rel=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></object>

Hogan had Schlee doing the same setup...why? I don't have a clue why. I'm bent over also and I'm so old I can't remember why or how I started doing that either...but I setup too low IMOP
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13879WRX Points: 1,440Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,879 Titanium Tees
    fats wrote:

chris_golf wrote:

Hogan had Schlee doing the same setup...why? I don't have a clue why. I'm bent over also and I'm so old I can't remember why or how I started doing that either...but I setup too low IMOP

Come on Fats, you know why, there you go just teasing us again....image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
    Posted:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
    dlygrisse wrote:

fats wrote:

chris_golf wrote:

Come on Fats, you know why, there you go just teasing us again....image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

I will explain it someday...I promise...now you have to hope I don't croak before I do...ROFL
    Posted:
    fats wrote:

dlygrisse wrote:

fats wrote:

chris_golf wrote:

I will explain it someday...I promise...now you have to hope I don't croak before I do...ROFL

If I had to guess I would say bending the right knee gets you into a reverse K setup, allows you to wind up better and not sway.....something I have been working to with a little success. I would like to find a copy of Sclhee's book......off to Amazon I go!

Edit: Max Golf is going for $170 black%20eye.gifI think I'll wait.......
    Posted:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • JOEGOLFWRXJOEGOLFWRX Members  1126WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,126
    fats wrote:
    ...I will explain it someday...I promise...now you have to hope I don't croak before I do...ROFL

LOL, put it in a time capsule, ...'do not open til 3011'.

..should be safe unless bobble22 invents his time machine, lol.
    Posted:
  • wikowiko Members  120WRX Points: 0Posts: 120
    dlygrisse wrote:

Thoughts?

yes he did not mention anything about posotion of his knees he did say about good footwork is essential in the golf swing....is his right leg more outwards pointing to his golf ball...any other videos of george knudsons excellent golf swing..thanks
    Posted:

Advertisement
    wiko wrote:

dlygrisse wrote:

Thoughts?

yes he did not mention anything about posotion of his knees he did say about good footwork is essential in the golf swing....is his right leg more outwards pointing to his golf ball...any other videos of george knudsons excellent golf swing..thanks

When Schlee came back on tour after working with Hogan we all laughed at his low crouched setup...however...when he started winning and then contended in majors we quit laughing and started asking. Hogan worked with several players and they all won out there...and most had a different looking action except from hip to hip...One of his students, John Mahaffey, had Hogan's downswing perfectly...so did Lanny...it's why older players like myself enjoy watch Ricky Fowler swing as he is a throwback of the Hogan days.
    Posted:
  • hoganfan924hoganfan924 Members  5185WRX Points: 55Posts: 5,185 Titanium Tees
    fats wrote:

wiko wrote:

dlygrisse wrote:

Thoughts?

When Schlee came back on tour after working with Hogan we all laughed at his low crouched setup...however...when he started winning and then contended in majors we quit laughing and started asking. Hogan worked with several players and they all won out there...and most had a different looking action except from hip to hip...One of his students, John Mahaffey, had Hogan's downswing perfectly...so did Lanny...it's why older players like myself enjoy watch Ricky Fowler swing as he is a throwback of the Hogan days.

Never studied his swing, but Mahaffey was consistently at the top of the list in GIR's (#1 in '85 & '86) and FIR's for a decade, yet you never hear his named mentioned when discussion of great ballstrikers comes up.

I have the "natural swing" videotape that Knudson made around 1985 and his knee bend is nowhere near as much as shown earlier. Looks fairly conventional as I recall.
    Posted:
  • JOEGOLFWRXJOEGOLFWRX Members  1126WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,126
    [url=&quot; all in the hips'[/url]
    Posted:
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    This topic is awesome!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.