Tour pros - swingers or hitters?

HappyGolf ·  
HappyGolfHappyGolf Members  1304WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,304 Platinum Tees
Which tour pros are swingers and which are hitters?

and....

Which method do YOU think is the best?
Posted:

Comments

• nikos74nikos74 Members  76WRX Points: 50Posts: 76 Fairways
    What do you mean by "swingers" versus "hitters"? I don't want to asume anything so maybe its best if you made it a bit clearer first.............
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • WhiZWhiZ Members  632WRX Points: 55Posts: 632 Golden Tee
    I always thought swingers pulled thru with their left side and hitters pushed thru with their right?

WhiZ
    Posted:
    WhiZ wrote:

I always thought swingers pulled thru with their left side and hitters pushed thru with their right?

WhiZ

Are you stating this as fact or opinion?

The only contrast I am aware of is "diggers" versus "sweepers" in other words one player plays the stack and tilt method while the other player plays the rotary method. But lets assume what you say is correct...if someone starts the forward swing by pulling from their left side are they not SIMULTANEOUSLY pushing from the right as well? Every action has an equal and opposite reaction comes to mind.

The OP did not qualify what he meant so we are left assuming things! Oh well.......................image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />
    Posted:
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals  7098WRX Points: 532Handicap: 3Posts: 7,098 Marshals
    nikos74 wrote:

WhiZ wrote:

WhiZ

Are you stating this as fact or opinion?

The only contrast I am aware of is "diggers" versus "sweepers" in other words one player plays the stack and tilt method while the other player plays the rotary method. But lets assume what you say is correct...if someone starts the forward swing by pulling from their left side are they not SIMULTANEOUSLY pushing from the right as well? Every action has an equal and opposite reaction comes to mind.

The OP did not qualify what he meant so we are left assuming things! Oh well.......................image/rolleyes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

It's being stated as a fact!

http://www.golflagtips.com/hitting-vs-swinging-part-1/
    Posted:
    Minimalist Bag!
    Handicap:  3

• acpar72acpar72 Members  911WRX Points: 61Posts: 911 Golden Tee
    Most swing. Ernie Els is a swinger he "just lets the ball get in the way." Tom Lehman is a hitter. Paul Godyos is a hitter. They target the ball.
    Posted:
    Nike Covert Fuji X
    Nike Covert Fuji X
    NIke T40 Tour 17 X
    Ping Eye 2 2-SW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 61*
    Ping Shea H
  • jrich99jrich99 Members  374WRX Points: 0Posts: 374
    I think the OP is referring to hitters and swingers in the TGM sense. It's not so much "letting the ball get in the way" or not. If you aren't familiar with The Golfing Machine, you are likely to interpret this differently.

I too would like to see some videos of both on tour now.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals  7098WRX Points: 532Handicap: 3Posts: 7,098 Marshals
    Swinging is the most common way of moving the golf club because it does not rely on muscular power but rather on the player’s skill to use centrifugal force. 
As a result 99% of the children start to play golf as swingers because they have not enough muscular force and a majority of them stay this way growing old.

Known players who are swingers include Geoff Ogilvy, Vijay Singh, Fred Couples, Jack Nicklaus…

The hitter on the other hand does not rely on centrifugal force but on muscular force instead.

Known players who are hitter include JB Holmes, Kenny Perry, KJ Choi, Lee Trevino…
    Posted:
    Minimalist Bag!

• jrich99jrich99 Members  374WRX Points: 0Posts: 374
    nikos74 wrote:

The only contrast I am aware of is "diggers" versus "sweepers" in other words one player plays the stack and tilt method while the other player plays the rotary method.

Not at all. You can use a rotary move and still be a digger too.

Hitters vs. Swingers have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you use S&T or rotary.

This should clarify a bit:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/444191-tgm-swinging-vs-hitting/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/444191-tgm-swinging-vs-hitting/[/url]
    Posted:
  • SpraddogSpraddog Members  140WRX Points: 0Posts: 140
    In TGM terms swinging the right arm is passive and the pivot of the body is used to throw the inert left arm off the chest. The pivot acts like a massive rotor. In hitting the pivot is used as a launch pad for the right arm muscular thrust. Although research shows that most if not all tour players do some of both.
    Posted:
  • HappyGolfHappyGolf Members  1304WRX Points: 1Posts: 1,304 Platinum Tees
    nikos74 wrote:

What do you mean by "swingers" versus "hitters"? I don't want to asume anything so maybe its best if you made it a bit clearer first.............

As WhiZ said.... swingers are basically left sided and pull the club through, #4 accumulator

Hitters push the club through, #1 accumulator
    Posted:
  • golfpros1golfpros1 Members  7584WRX Points: 151Posts: 7,584 Titanium Tees
    swinger. ball gets in the way. very few hitters last imo
    Posted:
    What's In The Bag:
    Golf Jobs
    Driver: Titleist 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ 70 S
    3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
    3H: Titleist 915H w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
    Irons: 4-GW Taylormade Tour Preferred TP w/ Project X 6.0
    Wedges: Callaway Forged w/ Project X 6.0
    Ball: Taylormade TP5x
    Bag: Titleist

Advertisement
    Yeah I am definitely a swinger then although I don' really think about it.

"The ball gets in the way" is definitely the way I look at it.

I NEVER think about contact and I ALWAYS think about the target!

I replied in the other post first, so I wont repeat much here..........
    Posted:
  • mikestlocmikestloc Members  242WRX Points: 1Posts: 242 Bunkers
    nikos74 wrote:

Yeah I am definitely a swinger then although I don' really think about it.

"The ball gets in the way" is definitely the way I look at it.

I NEVER think about contact and I ALWAYS think about the target!

I replied in the other post first, so I wont repeat much here..........

hitting and swinging at best are feels......ALL touring pros do a combination of both
    Posted:
    golfpros1 wrote:

swinger. ball gets in the way. very few hitters last imo

Actually, it's the opposite. Swingers tend to lose their swing when tension builds up which throws off their timing.
    Posted:
    Minimalist Bag!

• golfpros1golfpros1 Members  7584WRX Points: 151Posts: 7,584 Titanium Tees
    I'm not sure what is being considered a swinger and hitter here, but i've never seen a good player that's a hitter. I guess this is some golf machine lingo, but by my definition, hitters are guys that have a lot of muscular tension and use a lot of small muscle groups to square the face and hit a ball, and that is in direct contradiction with the basic laws of motion, therefore a series of nearly unrepeatable and certainly unreliable compensations need to be introduced to the overall system, which never last over the long haul. anyway... i'll bail out now since it appears you guys are having a golf machine debate.
    Posted:
    What's In The Bag:
    Golf Jobs
    Driver: Titleist 8.5 w/ Diamana D+ 70 S
    3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
    3H: Titleist 915H w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
    Irons: 4-GW Taylormade Tour Preferred TP w/ Project X 6.0
    Wedges: Callaway Forged w/ Project X 6.0
    Ball: Taylormade TP5x
    Bag: Titleist
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13838WRX Points: 1,384Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,838 Titanium Tees
    In the TGM sense I think Craig Stadler would be an obvious example, also Hunter Mahan. Brian Gay would also be a hitter IMO.

Where do S and T players fall?
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Advertisement
  • KevCarterKevCarter WisconsinClubWRX  12929WRX Points: 473Posts: 12,929 ClubWRX
    dlygrisse wrote:

In the TGM sense I think Craig Stadler would be an obvious example, also Hunter Mahan. Brian Gay would also be a hitter IMO.

Where do S and T players fall?

LOL - not laughing at you dlygrisse, but when talking about Brian Gay, teacher and student still can't come an agreement on whether he is a swinger or hitter. I've always thought that kind of funny... he just wants to shoot low scores. It's really not that clear cut sometimes!

I think originally, we all thought of S&T as a hitting procedure. Now I think it can be either depending on the components selected. I would love to hear what the real S&T guys here think as I'm really just guessing...

Kevin
    Posted:
    I could be wrong
    I've been wrong before
    I'll be wrong again

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.