2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bushnell 1600 Slope Edition vs Leupold GX-4

bmenx2

Which is better and why?
I'm in the market for a rangefinder and have narrowed it down to these two brands/models. I've read a lot of reviews and have heard opinions. Thought I'd ask the Golfwrx community for their thoughts?

As always, thanks in advance for your reply!

[size=2][b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #1[/font][/b]
[b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki Z 50[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge EX9 Tour - 20*, Recoil 780 ES[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno JPX EZ Forged - 4i - GW, Fujikura MCI 80 Stiff[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fourteen RM21 Black - 54/10 - 58/8, Dynamic Gold[/font][/b]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Bettinardi Signature Model 6[/b] [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Putter Rotation: [b]Bettinardi [/b]Signature Model 6 / Model 7 / BB 360, [b]Miura [/b]KM-006 / KM-350, [b]TP Mills [/b]Nellie Wings / Fleetwood, [b]Byron Morgan[/b] Dalehead 89 / 007 (Copper, sound slot) / Channel Island Plumber / Channel Island Rincon, [b]Odyssey [/b]Prototype 2 Ball Black / Odyssey Black Series Tour Design 2 Ball Blade[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #2[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki ZT 60[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Hybrids - HB3 / HB4, Aerotech Steelfiber[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura MC102 - 4i - GW, Nippon NS Pro[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Black Wedges, 55/9 - 60/7, Nippon NS Pro WV[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura KM-006[/font][/size]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt you can go wrong with either one. I've been looking into both of these models and decided on the leupold. I haven't used either on the course but after looking and comparing both in person i really like the Leupod optics better. The oled display is so much better, this is why i'm going with the gx-4 over the gx-2. The red numbers really light up. Its also much smaller than the bushnell but it isn't any harder to hold steady. As far as locking on the pin i'd say from what i've read both are similar. The GX-4 will also recommend a club based on distances you hit each club.

I think price wise both are pretty similar. My guess is that bushnell has a better marketing and contract deal with the PGA to get more players to use Bushnell. I'll be getting a Leupold this week.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

I just ordered a GX-4 for the OLED and reviews of better optics than the Bushnell models. A few guys that I play with have the Bushnell 1600 w/o slope, the Bushnell V2 and a Callaway/Nikon one. The 1600 is easy to use, but seemed bulky. Haven't really tried the V2, but they have cool accessories like the clamp for the cart post. The Callaway one had difficulty reading targets over 200 yards and had to shoot larger targets, like people on the green.

That said, like the previous poster said, probably couldn't go wrong with either model.

[quote name='drck1000' timestamp='1298443896' post='3002185']
I just ordered a GX-4 for the OLED and reviews of better optics than the Bushnell models. A few guys that I play with have the Bushnell 1600 w/o slope, the Bushnell V2 and a Callaway/Nikon one. The 1600 is easy to use, but seemed bulky. Haven't really tried the V2, but they have cool accessories like the clamp for the cart post. The Callaway one had difficulty reading targets over 200 yards and had to shoot larger targets, like people on the green.

That said, like the previous poster said, probably couldn't go wrong with either model.
[/quote]

I'm also in the market for a rangefinder. I'm coming over from a GPS. Based on my research, I have my choices narrowed down to the GX-2 or the GX-4. What's keeping me from the GX-4 is the price tag, but last night I found a heck of a good price on Ebay, so I may take the plunge very soon! I just love the features of the GX-4 over the GX-2.

Thanks everyone for the replies - some really great info!

I keep going back to Leopold GX-4 based on size and the versatility of being able to use it for handicap and tournament rounds, etc.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Anyone use the GX-4 or Bushnell 1600 Slope exclusively and have feedback?

Thak you for your replies.

[b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki Z 50[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge EX9 Tour - 20*, Recoil 780 ES[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno JPX EZ Forged - 4i - GW, Fujikura MCI 80 Stiff[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fourteen RM21 Black - 54/10 - 58/8, Dynamic Gold[/font][/b]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Putter Rotation: [b]Bettinardi [/b]Signature Model 6 / Model 7 / BB 360, [b]Miura [/b]KM-006 / KM-350, [b]TP Mills [/b]Nellie Wings / Fleetwood, [b]Byron Morgan[/b] Dalehead 89 / 007 (Copper, sound slot) / Channel Island Plumber / Channel Island Rincon, [b]Odyssey [/b]Prototype 2 Ball Black / Odyssey Black Series Tour Design 2 Ball Blade[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki ZT 60[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Hybrids - HB3 / HB4, Aerotech Steelfiber[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Black Wedges, 55/9 - 60/7, Nippon NS Pro WV[/font]

Maybe someone can provide a link or some actual facts but from what i've heard the gx-4 hasn't been approved by the USGA as of now to be tournament legal. This is the latest even though the yellow face plate turns off the club recommendation and slope factor.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

I have had the GX-4 for two months now, coming from a Bushnell 1500. The main reason I got it was I wanted something smaller. I really like it so for except I have to say that the Bushnell was easier to pick up the pin with. Both have a "pinseeker" type mechanism but the Bushnell was point and shoot where the GX-4 takes a little more effort. Although, if you play a course with the prism on the flags, the GX-4 picks that up very easy and quickly...even beeps when it picks it up. You can't go wrong with either of your choices.

[quote name='jeffalvarez' timestamp='1298685062' post='3009465']
I have had the GX-4 for two months now, coming from a Bushnell 1500. The main reason I got it was I wanted something smaller. I really like it so for except I have to say that the Bushnell was easier to pick up the pin with. [b]Both have a "pinseeker" type mechanism but the Bushnell was point and shoot where the GX-4 takes a little more effort.[/b] Although, if you play a course with the prism on the flags, the GX-4 picks that up very easy and quickly...even beeps when it picks it up. You can't go wrong with either of your choices.
[/quote]

I have been considering a GX-4 but this concerns me. My 1500 is point and shoot and I am pretty accustomed to it.

Went to the Leupold website and there was no mention of whether the GX-4 is tournament / HC legal, etc after changing the faceplates.

It would be great to have some more info on this as I really like GX-4 and it's versatiltiy, etc.

Thanks everyone for your comments!

[quote name='bmenx2' timestamp='1298739783' post='3010599']
Went to the Leupold website and there was no mention of whether the GX-4 is tournament / HC legal, etc after changing the faceplates.

It would be great to have some more info on this as I really like GX-4 and it's versatiltiy, etc.

Thanks everyone for your comments!
[/quote]

Hi All,

Any device that gives you the ability to have slope readings is illegal for tournament play as well as maintaining your handicap. The Bushnell products with slope (even though you can disable it) and the Leupold GX-4 (even though you can take the cover plate off) are NOT legal. If you have shaky hands, the Bushnell 1600 is way to go because it is operated using 2 hands.

Hope that helps.