Cleveland CG16 Tour Irons

rightlefty

Anyone have a set yet ?
I think these are the most appealing irons I have seen so far this year. I really want to get a set,... was wondering if anyone has got a chance to hit them outside and can compare them to what they have switched from, or are currently using. I have been alternating between cg7 tours, cobra pro cb's, srixon 701 tours, and ping s58"s lately. I like all these so much I haven't bought any irons in a while and feel like its time for something new. After seeing these and the callaway razr x forged, I think I perfer the clevelands.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to know about these irons if anyone has had an experience. I'm a little concerned about excessive spin from the fairway due to the special grooves. This kind of puzzles me because it doesn't seem like the grooves would help produce spin from the rough and if fitted properly, players opting for the Tour model most likely wouldn't need or want the extra spin from the fairway.

Also interested. People who love cleveland golf products should be thank-ful that Sakman is around :clapping:

[color=#FF0000]Ping G410 LST[/color]/ [color=#800080]Ping G410 5 wood [/color] / [color=#0000CD]Ping G410 3 Hybrid*[/color]<br />[color=#40E0D0]Ping i210 4-UW [/color] / [color=#FF8C00] Titleist Vokey SM6 56* & 60*[/color]<br />[color=#EE82EE]Odyssey O-Works Black 7s [/color] /[color=#800000]Taylormade TP5x[/color]

[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1298516855' post='3004230']
Now that I think about it, Sakman, If you happen to take out one of the new Cleveland drivers with those irons, especially the 310, I would love to hear what you think about them as well.
[/quote]

May be able to get you a little comparison between the 290 and 310. All stock with Miyazaki shafts! :good:

Lots of info on 310 Tour on this fourm. Great driver and IMO may end up being best value of the year driver wise. Stock shaft is the real deal and a $200-$250 shaft if one were to reshaft with it. I signed up on line for a Cleveland Play It On Promo and have a CG 16 6 or 7 iron on the way (non tour) and look forward to hitting it this weekend. Similar promo to TM Burner 6 iron giveaway. Interested in the CG16 Tours myself and would like anyone's feedback

[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1298517535' post='3004268']
That sounds really good,.....and if you could compare it to the launcher dst tour that would really be great.
[/quote]

Wish I could help you on this, but is wouldn't be a fair comparison...

The DST Tour I have has a Miyazaki Kusala Silver and the new 2011 Launcher's (290 and 310) I have are shafted with the C. Kua's...apples to oranges.

I went thru quite a few shafts with the DST Tour to get it right. Still working with the new Launchers, but so far the 43g and 59g Miyazaki shafts are THE REAL DEAL.

[quote name='monkeyman' timestamp='1298591117' post='3006600']
I got my CG16 tours (4-PW, DG S300) last week and had time for a short range session. So far they are great. They are super forgiving, and hit the ball kind of high. They kind of remind me of Ping i5's.
[/quote]

Wow, that is interesting. My only reservation about this iron was that it might be a little too much for me to handle; the soles look a little thinner than the Rac LT's I'm currently playing and the cavity is not very deep, even though it is undercut. The black finish might make it look a little more compact as well. I really like the look and now I'm a little more hopeful that they'll work for me. I'm eager to hear more!

I played RAC LT's for a long time, and I think these are a little more forgiving, especially the 4,5,6 irons. I still have my old RAC LT's, I'll have to look again, but i think the CG16 tours are bigger.

These are the first Cleveland Irons since the TA3 and TA7 days that I've wanted to own.

[quote name='WhiteStake' timestamp='1298608625' post='3007503']
I got my CG16 tours (4-PW, DG S300) last week and had time for a short range session. So far they are great. They are super forgiving, and hit the ball kind of high. They kind of remind me of Ping i5's.
[/quote]

Wow, that is interesting. My only reservation about this iron was that it might be a little too much for me to handle; the soles look a little thinner than the Rac LT's I'm currently playing and the cavity is not very deep, even though it is undercut. The black finish might make it look a little more compact as well. I really like the look and now I'm a little more hopeful that they'll work for me. I'm eager to hear more!
[/quote]

Excellent. Thanks monkeyman. Let us know how they work for you as you continue to get acquainted with them!

[quote name='monkeyman' timestamp='1298609263' post='3007524']
I played RAC LT's for a long time, and I think these are a little more forgiving, especially the 4,5,6 irons. I still have my old RAC LT's, I'll have to look again, but i think the CG16 tours are bigger.

These are the first Cleveland Irons since the TA3 and TA7 days that I've wanted to own.

[quote name='WhiteStake' timestamp='1298608625' post='3007503']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1298515272' post='3004159']
[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1298515175' post='3004152']
Really looking forward to hearing some feedback on these irons before I buy them.
[/quote]

How about I post some pics/review this weekend?
[/quote]

Bump. Eagerly awaiting Sakman's review. Thanks.

[quote name='WhiteStake' timestamp='1298948863' post='3014790']
[quote name='Sakman' timestamp='1298515272' post='3004159']
[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1298515175' post='3004152']
Really looking forward to hearing some feedback on these irons before I buy them.
[/quote]

How about I post some pics/review this weekend?
[/quote]

Bump. Eagerly awaiting Sakman's review. Thanks.
[/quote]
Double bump. Sakman or others????

I just custom ordered my CG 16 Tour Black Pearl Set this week. 4-PW KBS Tour X Full cord grips with 50, 54, 60 CG 15 Black Pearl Wedges. Also ordered
TL 310 Driver X Flex 10.5 I'm unpatiently waiting for all this stuff to come... :partytime2: I will give my full review hopefully late next week.

I just sold all of my irons (Callaway X Forged 2009) and my wedges and Ping i15 driver to make room.

My bag will soon consist of Cleveland Staff bag, TL310, XLS 13 Degree 3 Wood Diamana Blue 83X, Nike VR 18, 21 HYB, CG 16 Tours 4-PW KBS-X, CG 15 Black Pearl 50 ,54, 60 and a Rife Martinique Putter.

[quote name='shadowCLV' timestamp='1299178361' post='3022838']
I just custom ordered my CG 16 Tour Black Pearl Set this week. 4-PW KBS Tour X Full cord grips with 50, 54, 60 CG 15 Black Pearl Wedges. Also ordered
TL 310 Driver X Flex 10.5 I'm unpatiently waiting for all this stuff to come... :partytime2: I will give my full review hopefully late next week.

I just sold all of my irons (Callaway X Forged 2009) and my wedges and Ping i15 driver to make room.

My bag will soon consist of Cleveland Staff bag, TL310, XLS 13 Degree 3 Wood Diamana Blue 83X, Nike VR 18, 21 HYB, CG 16 Tours 4-PW KBS-X, CG 15 Black Pearl 50 ,54, 60 and a Rife Martinique Putter.
[/quote]
Sounds great. Let us know how you like them!

Had these for 3 weeks now 4-pw with KBS tour in stiff with sensicore inserts fitted.Very solid iron,able to vary trajectory at ease,not soft like a Mizuno but good feel to them.Good amount of spin with the shorter irons even out of the rough.I`m not a lover of chrome and visually these fit the bill,they look great at address.Fairly forgiving for a players club I`m impressed with them.Also have the CG16 wedges with KBS which are great aswell.A bit bigger than the CG15 and slightly higher ballflight;similar to the CG14 in shape another good wedge from Cleveland.

Whatever works.

[quote name='hef63303' timestamp='1298468195' post='3002408']
The laser milled texture lines are there to try to bring back some of the spin that will be lost due to the new grooves being smaller. I would not worry about overspinning the ball with these. They are just trying to keep the spin the same as with past models.
[/quote]

If these "laser milled texture lines" are the same ones on the CG15's then they'll be gone after about a week. cough*gimmick*cough.

But I love my wedges. :good:

[quote name='FiveSixAce' timestamp='1299189011' post='3023378']
The laser milled texture lines are there to try to bring back some of the spin that will be lost due to the new grooves being smaller. I would not worry about overspinning the ball with these. They are just trying to keep the spin the same as with past models.
[/quote]

If these "laser milled texture lines" are the same ones on the CG15's then they'll be gone after about a week. cough*gimmick*cough.

[/quote]
A friend of mine has the cg15 wedges and the milling does wear pretty quick. I have the cg16 tour black pearls with px 6.0 and the cg16 wedges with the same shaft. Around 18 degrees outside today, so no feedback for about a month! My question is how does the black finish hold up and do the clubs rust when worn???

[quote name='bogey222' timestamp='1299190175' post='3023447']
[quote name='FiveSixAce' timestamp='1299189011' post='3023378']
[/quote]

[/quote]
A friend of mine has the cg15 wedges and the milling does wear pretty quick. I have the cg16 tour black pearls with px 6.0 and the cg16 wedges with the same shaft. Around 18 degrees outside today, so no feedback for about a month! My question is how does the black finish hold up and do the clubs rust when worn???
[/quote]
I contacted Cleveland Golf today about these irons. According to the customer service person I spoke with, the black finish will wear on the sole and the face. They are 431 stainless (I'm one of the minority that prefers 17-4 due to durability issues). I'm still going to hit them first chance I get (outdoors).

I got a chance to hit the Callaway razr tour and razr forged today, these being my second favorite irons to try,.... and I have to say the cg16 tours are going to have to be pretty darn good to beat the razr tour irons.
The razr tours were just so easy to hit, perfect ball flight, really solid clubs ! Has anyone that owns the cg16 irons hit the razr tours ?

[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1299280105' post='3026496']
I got a chance to hit the Callaway razr tour and razr forged today, these being my second favorite irons to try,.... and I have to say the cg16 tours are going to have to be pretty darn good to beat the razr tour irons.
The razr tours were just so easy to hit, perfect ball flight, really solid clubs ! Has anyone that owns the cg16 irons hit the razr tours ?
[/quote]
Played the 09 forged and loved them-not a big fan of the Razr forged-seem to have lost the feel of the 09's. The Razr tour is getting great reviews, just to large of a topline for me. What drew me to the 16 tours is the square head shape, thin topline and sole, and I love the black pearl look. Although that may change once they get beat up.

[quote name='rightlefty' timestamp='1299285517' post='3026694']
Funny you should say that about the squarish head shape of the cg16, cause thats what I like about them as well. And I guess thats what I liked about the razr tours, they also have a squarish look to them.
[/quote]
They do-but the Razor is a little too thick on top for my liking. It may be just that the black finish makes them look smaller. I am a club junkie, like most here, and have looked at everything new out there and I just think the 16 tour has the best combination of looks, feel(unfortunately not of grass yet), and forgiveness. But like everything else, time will tell.

Bought the CG7 Tour black pearls during the promotion where I could trade them for a newer set when it comes out. Ordered the CG16 tours in Black Pearl this week. And, Cleveland gave me the option of sending in my CG7's, and getting my CG16's for free, or I could have both sets for an additional $185. Being a club ho...I took both sets. Paid the $185, and have a friend thats gonna buy em from me when I want to get rid of them. So I get to try the new, and keep the old. Love Clevelands customer service also.