2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How did you get your young children into golf?

We have our first bun in the oven
As most of you here are....I am obsessed with golf.
My wife and I are expecting our first child soon (gender still unknown) and I want this kid to be in to golf so I have someone to golf with and get away with it, and someone to BS with everyday about equipment....

No, for real, I think that golf (and maybe music...I am a drummer) is the best thing that I have ever been involved in. Golf has helped me in my personal and professional life and I really see the extreme benefits of being a decent golfer.

Just curios, for those of you with kids....any success or failure stories about introducing young kids to golf?
Not that I am expecting to be Earl Woods...but I want to share this passion with my kid....how did you do it and how did it go?

Thanks for any advice you could throw a first time dad (golf related - of course).

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just get them a plastic set that is accessible around the house, and YOU show an interest in golf. they want to be like dad... they will get into it. it may not stick over the long haul if it's not a game they really enjoy, but in most cases they will stick with it to some degree, or at least to play with dad once in a while if they dont get hooked.

my oldest daughter is 2.5 and that's what i've found. also, there's some fun kids videos that are made for little kids that have cartoon characters and such that make golf seem fun to them. if they get to the point where they want to do it, maybe a us kids golf putter for starters.

i wouldn't recommend being overly instructional for a while though. just let them have fun with it.

get ready bro... hearing good shot dad every time you putt the ball, whether you make it or not, doesn't get old one bit.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Congrats on the baby!

Just buy plastic toy clubs (reversible iron & putter is best. My son swings left, but does everything else righty), sit back and watch. Don't try too hard.

I have a 20 month old who is obsessed with golf. He has his own plastic clubs that he uses outside and in the playroom. It didn't take any real effort to get my son interested... showing him how to hit the ball, and him seeing me watch the tournaments on TV was enough. I've been told that until the age of about 4 to just let them do their own thing, just hit the ball & have fun.

Downside... any time he even sees my clubs he '[i]NEEDS[/i]" them. And if he can't find them it's because [i]"I've brought them to work or they're being fixed."[/i] So much for storing them indoors anymore. haha

First of all - congratulations! You are about to experience the greatest thing on Earth.

My son is not yet 2 years old. I haven't taken him to the course or the driving range yet. I'm waiting until he is 2 and then I will buy him some of those junior sets.

I do have a plastic set inside that he sometimes uses. Incorrectly of course. He swings it one handed more than anything but I don't correct him because I think it's still developing his hand/eye co-ordination.

I think you'll find that your child will gravitate to the game naturally, because he sees how interested you are in it. I keep an old club lying around in the garage that I use for practice swings etc - if my son sees me swing it he laughs. He will grab the club himself and walk around with it when I'm not there.

He loves my putter. I've had to hide my golf bag because he was always trying to pull the putter out of it's external slot (golf bag falling on kid not good ok?).

Although he loves his kids TV, we will sometimes sit and watch the golf together. He doesn't mind it at all. Every now and then he will clap after a player has teed off or made a putt because he hears the crowd clapping.

Just expose him or her to the game and they will develop a bond with it because they see that you enjoy the game. Kids idolize their parents and will want to spend as much time with them as possible. Take that opportunity to set-up a life-long love of the game for your child.

I hope this helps and congratulations again.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

Also, here is a link to a thread that I had started a few months back. It has a link to a video of my son, as well as some info/advice from other WRXers. I have a few more videos I'll upload soon so you can see the magic that you'll soon enjoy!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/432321-my-toddler-loves-to-golf/"]My Toddler Lovers to Golf[/url]

Our first, we started taking to the course when my wife and I would play a casaul nine holes on Friday evenings, took a cart, let her ride between us and putt a little. She was 3, almost 4, when we started this. She had a little putter and had been exposed to a little golf for fun with that and on TV, but I agree with the above, if it's someting fun you do, they want to do it, too. As she got older, she would do some junior golf clinics, nothing too rigid, and just play more. When she played with us, to keep things moving, and a little realistic, they would just play the limits of what they could play. Putt, then when able to chip we'd let her chip for a summer, then start moving out 100 yards, 150, etc. to where she'd have for her what would be a realistic chance at "par" on each hole. Any number of ways to do it, though. I'm just not one to let them start swinging from the tees at 4 years old and take 20 or more shots to get to the green. Also keeps them from getting worn out and they know as they improve, they play more of the course. Same with our second.

I enjoy golf, my wife does, too, so that just made it more of a family thing and we'd make it fun. I remember when the first was very young (3) and she figured out the lowest score would win. She started running up to the hole with her ball instead of putting and dropping it in the hole and declaring "zero" ---- priceless.

Thanks all for the congratulations...and the advice is great too.

I am an engineer, so by nature I am always tinkering with clubs and my swing...which is probably why I was never able to get my wife into golf (although she can now name most PGA, LPGA and EPGA golfers by sight from watching so much golf with me)....I don't want to make the same mistake with my kids....

How young is too young for lessons?

I have two sons who are 7 and 10. My 7 year old likes to golf, my 10 year old hates it. The more you press the less you'll get. I don't recommend any lessons until they actually play over 5 rounds. They need the desire to play or everything else will fail. How do you teach them desire? An age old mystery. I bribe my kids to hit balls with me and get them to try to hit the ball as far as they can. I have the Zelocity device that measures distance and if they can carry the ball a certain distance I'll buy them something. Golf is a dying sport for our youth because of the time constraints, money constraints and the general availability of other sports/video games to entertain. I don't press my 10 year old because he needs to make his own decision about what he likes (soccer!) and pressing him doesn't work (and the bribes cost too much!). I have hope for my 7 year old (along wtih some cash to bribe him!!!).

[quote name='mich_ping' timestamp='1299014186' post='3016622']
My wife and I are expecting our first child soon (gender still unknown) and I want this kid to be in to golf so I have someone to golf with and get away with it, and someone to BS with everyday about equipment....

No, for real, I think that golf (and maybe music...I am a drummer) is the best thing that I have ever been involved in. Golf has helped me in my personal and professional life and I really see the extreme benefits of being a decent golfer.

Just curios, for those of you with kids....any success or failure stories about introducing young kids to golf?
Not that I am expecting to be Earl Woods...but I want to share this passion with my kid....how did you do it and how did it go?

Thanks for any advice you could throw a first time dad (golf related - of course).
[/quote]

I agree. Just don't push, let him or her have fun with it early on... only time will tell if he/she has the demeanor for it. I started my son at 8yrs with some fun kid lessons. He was a natural but when he hit HS he lost interest fast. Golf was too demanding. His mother and I are hoping, maybe later. Its not so much what you do, it has everything to do with his or her personality.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

[quote name='mich_ping' timestamp='1299018917' post='3016843']
Thanks all for the congratulations...and the advice is great too.

I am an engineer, so by nature I am always tinkering with clubs and my swing...which is probably why I was never able to get my wife into golf (although she can now name most PGA, LPGA and EPGA golfers by sight from watching so much golf with me)....I don't want to make the same mistake with my kids....

How young is too young for lessons?

[/quote]

A local pro told me that he starts with lessons/clinics for children starting at age 4. He said he feels that's about the time where most kids have the desire & ability to learn.

Maybe another Teaching Pro could chime in and give you more feedback on this based on actual experiences.

My son is 17 months old and is absolutely obsessed with golf. I did nothing to push him into it he just seemed to pick it up naturally. My house is filled with golf clubs and he spends most of the day hitting balls around my house. He likes to use full size clubs he tucks the end under his arm and swings one handed. Its amazing how well he can hit the ball this way. I do not try to tell him anything I just let him hit the ball and have fun with it. He also comes with me every weekend to play he loves riding in the cart, being outside and hitting the ball. Last sunday we spent the whole day at the course so my wife could have some time to herself. I played 64 holes and he had the time of his life. The only time he got upset is when I put him in his car seat at the end of the day. Like everyone else said, if you are into it your child will most likely take an interest. Congrats and good luck to you!

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

The fact that you're already thinking about it means your kid will have a pretty good likelihood of picking it up. Best thing you can do is to share your enthusiasm and love of the game. They will see what the game means to you and hopefully try to emulate it.

I started my boys at the same time, even though they were 3years apart (5 and 8 at the time). Once they showed an interest, I did everything I could to keep it fun for them (not always easy!). If that's only 10mins at the range today - that's fine. Or no putting today - that's fine too. There's always ice cream or some other treat afterwards.

My older one has progressed to taking simple lessons, but I don't push it. It's all at his own pace. I'll probably sign my little one up for lessons this spring/summer.

One of my best days in recent memory was playing 9 holes with them and my dad. We didn't keep score, they skipped some holes, but we all had a great day. I think my dad had an even bigger smile than I did.

I always had some kid clubs around her and took her to the golf course to expose her to what daddy does (she was 14 months when I first took her to "play" golf). And over time she just picked up the clubs and started putting/swinging. (she's got her own US Kids Golf set now)

As posted, if you are interested, in time they will as well. Key is keeping it light and fun.

I'll take my now 2 year old to the range with me, she gets to "Drive the car" and we setup camp out of the way. She gets to dump the buckets, tee up some balls, hit a couple, then play in the cart, repeat.
Then head to the putting green/short game areas to pull flags and what not as well. (obviously out of the way of anybody trying to do some real practising)

And when she's done, we are done and head in for a snack.
I've been out there for up to an hour with her...and other times for 5 mins.
However everytime she's had a blast, and asks when she can go to the golf course again.

It is pretty cool to hear you little one ask you to go downstairs and play golf!

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

First suggestion is to move your child's weight to their front foot, make sure the left shoulder turns down and insure their head stays centered. Oh wait....wrong forum.

My sons are mid and late 20's and although they don't share my empirical passion for the game, they do enjoy beating the ball around. They are both very athletic but took different sports paths, one a hoopster and the other a soccer player. Neither of those was my first choice but it was what they wanted to do. As much as you're passionate about the game (and BTW, you're the only one on here who is) let them try every sport possible and find their passion. What you'll probably find is that they'll want to spend time with you and the golf course is a great vehicle.

Early on stay away from golf in it's purest form and let them putt and chip and make everything a game. Let them drive the cart while sitting on your lap. Praise something on every shot and build positives from the ground up. And if your daughter or son wants to take up bowling, support them no matter what. The biggest gift and blessing you will ever have in life are your children and seeing them happy.

[quote name='mich_ping' timestamp='1299014186' post='3016622']

[/quote]

If you love golf and drumming - then it is highly likely that your kid will hate both.

Nevertheless - my wife and I love golf. Our daughter was in the golf cart almost every weekend from the time she was 1 month old....she is, at the very least, accepting of golf and will sit in the cart for 4 or 5 hours and not mind. She is now 9 years old. "Golf" to her means getting a snack from the cart (when we used to have one) seeing everyone at the pro shop; or watching the ducks and geese and deer on the golf course. She likes to play in the sand traps and she likes to pull the pin. She is well mannered on the course and she has fun. But.....she has only been to golf camp (a week at a time) 3 times, and has only wanted to hit balls while we're playing, a couple of times; and she played 9 holes once b/c her cousin was playing too. I have never offered her any advice nor does my wife - but we get her lessons. I hope that she will eventually learn to like the game. Right now she does all sorts of other sports - skating is her favorite and she competes. She also plays soccer, basketball, lacrosse, etc. etc. But golf is not yet a top priority.

Maybe one day. :)

My point: while she does not actually play golf yet - we still spend a lot of time together on the golf course - and spending time together is the point.

Good luck to you and congrats!

I am now 18 and a pretty decent golfer. My dad got me started at a very young age so maybe I can help from the other side of the spectrum.
We have pictures of me with dads putter as I use it to walk. I was very young and don't exactly remember why I became interested but ill still try and help you out.

1. Do not pressure your child into playing golf. Make sure that it is their decision!!

2. When going to the driving range ask them to tag along. Playing golf was fun but it was cool just to go somewhere with dad.

3. When you are a child the backyard is huge and that is more than fine for a driving range.

4. Leave some type of club laying around the house if possible so they might grab onto it and become interested. (Putter and a couple balls works well)

5. Be very supportive and do not try and give a lot of lessons to start. Hitting the ball is fun, and when you are trying to tell me what to do I have a tougher time hitting it, so just stop dad! yes as kids we hold our hands 6 inches apart and hit a foot behind the ball. But at that age its all about having fun.

6. Its amazing how far jr golf has came since I was a kid. I learned to play golf on sam snead blades. A 3 and 8 iron that were cut down to my size. I thought it was cool that my clubs use to be dads. This was more of a personal thing but it worked for me.

7. As they get older (and hopefully take an interest to golf) use the game to teach your child life lessons. This is something I am very thankfull my parents did. I remember crying when I lost my first club. It will happen but please do not spoil your child by giving them everything they want. Its true that if you work for something you will value it much more.

Now I am being offered college scholorships and have had some good success at the high school and jr golf level. But the most fun thing for me is playing in the city amature every year and having my dad caddy for me. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

My dad and I can no longer play basketball together and wrestling is no longer an option. But we can always play golf, no matter how many strokes I must give him. Congrats and hopefully your child will take be interested in golf.

I agree with above, espcially hawkeye77. My daughter is 4 and I will begin golfing 1 or 2 nights a week with her own "par" I don't give any advise, just words of encouragement. Shes a lefty but plays righty, left hand low. (Shes going to be a lights out putter!) The one thing Im noticing is to not watch too much golf on tv as kids get very disinterested with it quickly, (No chance against Phinias and Ferb) and begin to resent it if its on all the time. Only tourneys you "must" see. And keep it light. My daughter had a plastic club and was whacking the cats at 1 yr

congrats on becoming a new dad! and get ready to put the golf on hold - LOL.
i took my son with me a few times to the range and let him putt around on the putting green with his own putter.
i explained to him the importance of putting and that this was the first step before he can get onto mat.

i took him out on a few rounds in the golf cart and let him bring along his putter and once we were on the green, i let him putt.
we did this more than a few times and i think a special bond to golf begins to form.

my son is now 5 and has a nice swing. i take him to the range and he can hit his little driver 50-yards and dead straight.

just don't force it. my dad did that to me and i quit for twenty years. i promised myself i wouldn't make the same mistake if and when i had my own child.

great job and gl.

My son is 8. He went golfing a few times when he was 7 with his grampa. I bought him a new set of jr clubs last summer and we went 4 times. I did make the mistake of teaching too much during one round, definitly a big mistake. Let them have fun, keep the instruction to a minimal. Keep it simple if any instruction is given. I like to make sure he has the ball in the proper position, he likes to try and hit his driver off the back foot. I let him tee off at the 100yd mark but he almost drove a couple greens last year so, I may have to move him back 25 yds. We have the best time. Be sure to bring plenty of snacks and drinks, do that and I can garauntee you'll get a few more holes out of em. :good: Oh yeh, dont forget to take a camera.

• 9 years later...

I started this thread over 9 years and ran across it while searching for a previous post the other day.

I now have two kids (both boys) ages 6 and 8.

My 8 year old was on a golf course around 3 years old and likes it to this day...though its not his favorite thing. He will go with us, but only if he gets to drive the cart or buy a lemonade from the "candy cart" as he call it.

My 6 year old played since he could walk, practices on his own every day and plays in US Kids Golf tournaments.

They both had the same exposure to golf, just one of them really gravitated towards it. I think if I had it to do all over again, I would change nothing. Get a club in their hands as early as possible...make "practicing" fun with little games, make playing even more fun. Teach them the basics of how to behave on a course and let them find their own swing.

Caddying for my 6 year old (starting when he was 5) was one of my favorite parenting moments so far. What a cool trip down memory lane it was seeing this old post!!