2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Whats your Favorite Chicago-Land Golf Courses?

Kenkaulen

What are your favorite Golf Courses in Northern Illinois? Mostly the Chicago Land Area. I am a long time golfer here in Chicago, but after talking to other golfers at the Chicagoland golf show I was surprised at how many guys hadn't even heard of some of my favorite courses.

My top five in Chicago Public Courses:

1. Cog HIll (any course but mainly 2 or 4)
  2. Seven Bridges
  3. Ruffled Feathers
  4. Oak Grove
  5. Blackberry Oaks

Just wanted to see what you guys like and what courses you guys want to play at.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite Public Courses (in no particular order):

1. Thunderhawk
2. Heritage Bluffs
3. Orchard Valley
4. Harborside
5. Prairie Landing

Favorite Private (in no particular order):

1. Butler
2. Chicago Golf
3. Exmoor
4. Edgewood Valley
5. NorthShore
6. OFCC
7. Beverly

It's funny how taste is so different - of the courses OP listed, the only one I wouldn't care about being bulldozed if Blackberry Oaks - but only because I haven't played it yet. Oak Grove would be AWESOME except for two really stupid holes, I absolutely hate Seven Bridges and Ruffled Feathers, and CH #2 is too easy while CH #4 (Dubs) is WAY too hard now and not much fun.

the only course I play with any regularity is Glen Ellyn - inexpensive, decent shape all the time, good test, close to home. Really bad 18th hole, though.

I find it hard to rank courses as I haven't played a lot of them enough to make a good assessment, but the list below are courses I'd play any day of the week

Cantigy
Ruffled Feathers
Pine Meadow
Harborside
Cog Hill 2 & 4
Highlands of Elgin

Love my home course as well. Schaumburg GC. Excellent greens and a fun 27 holes.

I like Cantigny too, but I can't say it to save my life.

Harbor Side is great too, but its a real beast from the Tips.

I was originally thinking of only Private Courses, but I love Butler an Chicago Golf Club. I was lucky enough to work as a bag boy at Chicago Golf Club when I was a kid, and we got to play all the time. I also know someone who works at Butler, and I occasionally get to play out there as well. I do not think that I could pick my top 5 Private Courses with out changing it fifty times.

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1299939569' post='3048721']

1. Thunderhawk
2. Heritage Bluffs
3. Orchard Valley
4. Harborside
5. Prairie Landing

1. Butler
2. Chicago Golf
3. Exmoor
4. Edgewood Valley
5. NorthShore
6. OFCC
7. Beverly

It's funny how taste is so different - of the courses OP listed, the only one I wouldn't care about being bulldozed if Blackberry Oaks - but only because I haven't played it yet. Oak Grove would be AWESOME except for two really stupid holes, I absolutely hate Seven Bridges and Ruffled Feathers, and CH #2 is too easy while CH #4 (Dubs) is WAY too hard now and not much fun.

the only course I play with any regularity is Glen Ellyn - inexpensive, decent shape all the time, good test, close to home. Really bad 18th hole, though.
[/quote]

Hits...obviously you're talking about 11 at Oak Grove but what's the second one?

In no particular order.... I play mostly in the southwest Chicagoland:

1 - Mistwood
2 - Big Run (wish they kept it in better shape - 1.5 miles from my house).
3 - Ruffled Feathers (played it probably 60+ times in the past couple years. Got in on a corporate membership this year, will be there a lot this season :) )
4 - Prairie Landing
5 - George Dunne (haven't been there in couple years, but if the conditions are decent, it's a heck of a place to play).
6 - Heritage Bluffs
7 - Highlands of Elgin
8 - Bowes Creek

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

These are my favorites

Public:

Cantigny
Pine Meadows
Prairie Landing
Thunderhawk
Shepherd's Crook

Used to think Dubs was the most over-rated course in the world, but it is much better since the redo.

Private:

Olympia Fields North
Olympia Fields South
Medinah #3
Black Sheep
Rich Harvest Farms

Honorable mention to my former club, Aurora CC. Terrific older Tom Bendelow course with maybe the best greens in Chicagoland!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1300066959' post='3052819']

1. Thunderhawk
2. Heritage Bluffs
3. Orchard Valley
4. Harborside
5. Prairie Landing

1. Butler
2. Chicago Golf
3. Exmoor
4. Edgewood Valley
5. NorthShore
6. OFCC
7. Beverly

[/quote]

Hits...obviously you're talking about 11 at Oak Grove but what's the second one?
[/quote]

I forget which hole # - but there's a tee way back in the woods, and it plays about 460 from there. Tee shot over water, hole turns left, creek in front of the shallow green. straight line off the tee gets you in absolute jail about 220 out, and you have to either cut the corner left (no bargain - over water and a tall stand of trees) or hit a big hooking 3W/Driver to be able to hit something that will hold the green, OR hit 4 iron off the tee and have 240 - 250 left. Hate that hole - no options, no choices on how to play it. At least 11 lets you make some choices. doesn't help I made double there both times around in the publinx qualifer there last year...

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1300067582' post='3052852']
1. Oak Grove
2. Blackstone

3. Big Run
4. Foxford Hills
5. Mystwood
6. Dubs
7. Prairie Landing
8. George Dunne
9. Bolingbrook
10. Plum Tree

And if you're going extended Chicago area, Aldeen in Rockford, TPC Deere Run, The General in Galena and Oak Ridge down in LaSalle.
[/quote]

I forgot about blackstone - good solid course out in the middle of nowhere...

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1300157018' post='3056078']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1300066959' post='3052819']

1. Thunderhawk
2. Heritage Bluffs
3. Orchard Valley
4. Harborside
5. Prairie Landing

1. Butler
2. Chicago Golf
3. Exmoor
4. Edgewood Valley
5. NorthShore
6. OFCC
7. Beverly

[/quote]

[/quote]

I forget which hole # - but there's a tee way back in the woods, and it plays about 460 from there. Tee shot over water, hole turns left, creek in front of the shallow green. straight line off the tee gets you in absolute jail about 220 out, and you have to either cut the corner left (no bargain - over water and a tall stand of trees) or hit a big hooking 3W/Driver to be able to hit something that will hold the green, OR hit 4 iron off the tee and have 240 - 250 left. Hate that hole - no options, no choices on how to play it. At least 11 lets you make some choices. doesn't help I made double there both times around in the publinx qualifer there last year...
[/quote]

Got it...you're talking about 13. Huge long...very narrow green...there is no safe shot. With ya...us short hitters don't play THAT tee!

[quote name='oldpalchamp' timestamp='1300115034' post='3053960']

Black Sheep
[/quote]

I would LOVE to find a way to get a round in on Black Sheep. I hear it is awesome. The real golf experience.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1300159792' post='3056259']
Black Sheep
[/quote]

I would LOVE to find a way to get a round in on Black Sheep. I hear it is awesome. The real golf experience.
[/quote]

Already have it planned for late May - I have some really nice connections through work...not to brag or anything! OK, a little bit. Still on my list is Rich Harvest and Shoreacres...

[quote name='brian91' timestamp='1300241381' post='3059162']
Butler
Ruth Lake
North Shore
Lost Dunes (MI course but Chicago are)
Cantigny
Thunderhawk
Beverly
Edgewood Valley

Courses that suck

ANY COG HILL COURSE
RUFFLED FEATHERS
[/quote]

What don't you like about Ruffled Feathers? I agree that Cog Hill is very overrated. In particular, Dubs isn't worth the rate and the others don't do it for me. But I loved Ruffled Feathers the two times I played there.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1300234213' post='3058641']
[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1300159792' post='3056259']
Black Sheep
[/quote]

[/quote]

Already have it planned for late May - I have some really nice connections through work...not to brag or anything! OK, a little bit. Still on my list is Rich Harvest and Shoreacres...
[/quote]

Awesome...are you hiring? :-)

Enjoy it - looking forward to a review...

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

[quote name='brian91' timestamp='1300241381' post='3059162']
Butler
Ruth Lake
North Shore
Lost Dunes (MI course but Chicago are)
Cantigny
Thunderhawk
Beverly
Edgewood Valley

Courses that suck

ANY COG HILL COURSE
RUFFLED FEATHERS
[/quote]

I like the cut of your jibe, brian91 - +1000 on your "courses that suck" assessment, and we nearly share our favorite courses - I didn't put Ruth Lake on there, but only because I didn't think of it - very good course. And, while I like Cantigny, it is somewhat over-rated. I wouldn't mind playing it daily, though...

oh yeah, haven't played lost dunes yet, although my boss is a member and we keep threatening to get out there...

Do you guys not like Cog and Ruffled because they are expensive, hard, too busy? I have always loved Cog Hill but I have only played #2 and #4 Lately. And I do get a freebie when I go out to Dubs so that definitely helps out (not sure I would play for $169 or whatever it is), but #2 is always in great shape, and they are fun albeit tough courses to play.

Ruffled I like, and its the only Pete Dye course in Illinois. They do have a ton of weekday outings though, and I am a weekday golfer (work weekends). But again always in really good shape, but kind of expensive.

I have never been to Ruth Lake or Lost Dunes, so I will have to check those out.

I was also trying to stick to Public Courses for this Thread, as there are way to many privates out there that many of us do not get to play. But Olympia Fields is one of my favorites. The South Course is actually my favorite over the North Course (the US open was on the North). And Blacksheep is bad a** pardon my french. But a place that has nothing but golf. No bar, no bs, just golf golf golf. That is a place I would like to join.

[quote name='Kenkaulen' timestamp='1300375859' post='3063804']
Do you guys not like Cog and Ruffled because they are expensive, hard, too busy? I have always loved Cog Hill but I have only played #2 and #4 Lately. And I do get a freebie when I go out to Dubs so that definitely helps out (not sure I would play for $169 or whatever it is), but #2 is always in great shape, and they are fun albeit tough courses to play.

Ruffled I like, and its the only Pete Dye course in Illinois. They do have a ton of weekday outings though, and I am a weekday golfer (work weekends). But again always in really good shape, but kind of expensive.

I have never been to Ruth Lake or Lost Dunes, so I will have to check those out.

I was also trying to stick to Public Courses for this Thread, as there are way to many privates out there that many of us do not get to play. But Olympia Fields is one of my favorites. The South Course is actually my favorite over the North Course (the US open was on the North). And Blacksheep is bad a** pardon my french. But a place that has nothing but golf. No bar, no bs, just golf golf golf. That is a place I would like to join.
[/quote]

I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel like Ruffled is too contrived - goofy, in a way. As is typical with Dye, there are many holes where there is ONE option, and if you don't pull off that ONLY shot you can hit and be successful on the hole, you're making 6. To me, there's hard, and then there's silly - I feel like Ruffled is silly. There are some good holes out there, but it usually only takes one really awful hole to ruin a course for me, and I think Ruffled has a good 4-5 of them.

As for Cog, #4 is no fun anymore for mere mortals (I'm 1.6 index), and #2 is too easy. But I love the Jemsek family, so I give them my money at Pine Meadow instead.

The only course I don't like based on price is The Glen Club - at $100, they would get my money every once in a while - but at $180, they can pound sand. It's a good course - it's not $180 good. Awesome conditions, so-so layout. Put it in Michigan, they would be lucky to get $60 on the weekend.

[quote name='Kenkaulen' timestamp='1300375859' post='3063804']

[/quote]

Oh there is a bar at Black Sheep and if you ever get the chance you have to sample the "Jesse Juice". Good for what ails you!

I have always felt that the conditioning of Cog #4 was not worth the $$$$s that the Jemsek family charged. I also felt the course just didn't have the shot values of some of the other courses in that category. Just my humble opinion.

I only played Ruffled Feathers once and that was so long ago that the clubhouse hadn't even been built. As far as it being a Pete Dye course, it's a Pete and P.B Dye design which basically means Pete was never on the property.

1. Dubs
2.Oak Grove
3. Foxford Hills
4. Mill Creek
5. Hilldale

I toss Hilldale in because its a very fun challenging shorter course. Lots of Narrow fairways and prices are always a bargain! Oak Grove is really my number one, i love that course. In response to that hole number 13, yes that is one of the most fun and challenging holes, you need to make a golf shot every swing if you want to make par. In case you were wondering, #13 at Oak Grove is call "The Anaconda" LOL

[quote name='Chicago Lefty' timestamp='1300459845' post='3066604']
Hilldale has got some of the best greens around.
[/quote]

Yeah they do. And they change with the playing conditions nicely. I played two days there in a row, the first day was warm and the greens were perfect. The second day was eaerlier and really really cold and it was like putting on ice!