My Review: Taylormade Rescue 11 TP Hybrid

TCMP

Taylormade Rescue 11 TP Hybrid Review

First off, I want to thank Ryan for letting me try out the new Rescue 11 TP. It was a great pleasure to get the chance for a review of such a solid performer.

Now, a little bit about myself and my game. I've been playing for about 8 years with most of those years playing just 15-20 times per year. For the last 3 years I have been working pretty hard on my game. I've taken lessons from my local PGA professional, played in more tournaments, and increased my play/practice to 4-5 days per week. Three years ago, I was a 12-13handicap. As I sit here today writing this review, my handicap reads 2.8. Just about all of last year I hovered around a 2-4 handicap. If I was to describe the best part about my game, it would, without a doubt be ball striking. I averaged 58% GIR over last season (127 full 18 hole rounds). My short game has always been my achillies heel. If I missed a green last year, there was only a 25% chance I would get up and down.

I'm an average length driver of the ball with a swing speed in the 105mph range and a carry distance of around 250 yards. My 7 iron goes 165. With that being said, I play regular flex shafts. Yes, regular flex in all of my clubs. I load the shaft very evenly and find most stiff shafts to feel harsh.

On to the review!

The first day I was able to hit the Rescue 11 TP #3 hybrid was this past Friday after work. My in-laws were in town and I took it out for a range session and 9 holes.

First impressions:

Wow, this white headed sleek looking club really catches myeye. The white crown with the black face really frames the ball nicely. To be 100% honest, I have never been a fan of Taylormade clubs, nor was I a fan of the white color on the crown when Taylormade first came out with it. Please read on!

Performance:

After grabbing a large bucket of balls, I hit the range(which is natural grass) to see how this baby performed. The wind was blowing right in my face at a steady 15mph as I lined up my first shot. I fluffed up the ball on a good lie and let it rip. Nice high fade that cut through the wind quite nicely. Wow….now that surprised me. Most hybrids are a little hooky upon first impression. Next shot, nice high fade. Hmmmm, this shaft feels stout. AsI look down at the shaft and make sure it reads "Regular" I notice it says Aldila Rip 85 'R'. Now I'm thinking, geeez, this club is anti-left. I line up my next shot – this time trying to hook it…………No way Jose, this baby aint going left. After hitting 15-20 more balls with the Rescue 11 TP, I made the official descision that I could not turn this thing over!

I have been playing Ping i15 hybrids since the start of this year (12 rounds now). A 20* and 23* with the TFC700 Regular flex shafts. They have been quite dependable and fun to hit. After hitting this Rescue 11 TP, Ican say that distances were very comparable between both #3 hybrids, with the Taylormade getting the slight edge. The differences in loft 18* for Rescue 11TP and 20* for Ping i15 probably have something to do with that. The shaft lengths between both clubs were very close, with the Taylormade being just ¼"longer.

During my subsequent rounds with the Rescue 11 TP, I could definitely count on the 10 yard fade. The #1 handicap hole at my home club is a 440 yard forced layup par 4. I hit the baby fade from the tee and from the fairway for a nice GIR on several occasions. This club was good for a solid 215-220 yards including roll for me. It was a very dependable ball flight that I loved!

Adjustability:

This is the first club I have played with that featured some sort of adjustability. This took a little reading on my part to fully understand what each setting would do for my ball flight. The Rescue 11 TP came with a little wrench to loosen/tighten the screw on the bottom of the club. There are 8 different positions for adjustment from -1 to +1 degrees of loft, a 4* face angle change and a 2* lie angle change. I found this to be very cool as Iam a notorious tinkerer with my clubs. My wife often shakes her head at me when I tell her I am headed out to the workshop.

Since I could not turn the ball over with this club, I decided to make it as hooked faced as possible with hopes that I could turn it over. After changing the setting to "Higher" which also changes the face angleto the most closed setting, I started hitting balls again. First shot…..nice high fade. I started laughing out loud!!! I could not get this thing to turn over! I was really awestruck. Nearly all hybrids I can turn over, some more than others and some only will go left for me. After hitting 40 or so balls, I determined it HAD to be this shaft. Or was it?

Feel:

I hesitate to add this part to my review as it is so subjective. But, I will add it for the sake of my opinion.

The Aldila Rip shaft in this hybrid has a nice weight (85g) and stiffness to it. It is definitely more stout than the TFC700 shaft that I currently play in my i15 hybrids. But, it never felt harsh or hard to load. Thetip is stiffer and the ball flight is lower than that of the i15. The factory swingweight is spec'd at D4. I love to tinker, so a while ago I bought a swingweight scale to set up all my clubs with the right weight for me. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Rescue 11 TP came in right at D4! That speaks well of Taylormade's QC department.

Off the face, the ball really rockets. It has a pleasant, muted "thawack" sound when my ProV1 leaves the face. The shaft carries the vibrations up to my hands nicely and lets me know when I've flushed it or when I've toe'd it. Finding the sweet spot on the Rescue 11 TP was quite easy.

Overall:

I am definitely a fan of the new Taylormade Rescue 11 TP.The anti-left properties, weight, balance, feel and distance are all excellent.The white crown is actually quite nice and frames the ball beautifully at address. The adjustability is great for helping dial in distance gaps and ball flight tendencies (although I could only hit a fade with it in fully closed).

I would give Taylormade 2 thumbs up on this new hybrid!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried this club at GG tonight, I like it. One step closer to an almost all TM bag. Gonna add the 4H and Corza Daytona putter. After these new additions, my SW and 3W will be the only non TM in my bag (a Chikara might kick the 52* XFT out the bag). My TEE CB3 is money, I'm not gonna mess with it; my SW is compliments of Morton Golf with GolfWRX logo. That club has been good to me, so no change there.

Nice write up TCMP. I want to try the 85g shaft TP shaft but GG didn't have any.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='gklim22' timestamp='1312392929' post='3448199']
Great review! Its interesting that you weren't able to draw/hook the hybid even though you had it fully closed. Sounds like you had the same/similar ball flight no matter what adjustments you made? Seems like the adjustment factor is more of a gimmick than something that really works? Just wondering...
[/quote]

I'm not sure about the adjustability making a lot of difference for me. Part of me not being able to hit it left was the shaft. For an "R" flex, that RIP shaft was stout. I would be willing to guess that it CPM'd at least a stiff if not more.

[quote name='EWL5' timestamp='1312417927' post='3449397']
[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1312388753' post='3447958']
I think you may have gotten the wrong tag.
[/quote]

The headcover is definitely correct since it's a rescue with FCT. Could it have been switched with the burner rescue tag?
[/quote]

Not sure on that. TMAG would be willing to switch it out for you I bet. Give them a call and see what they say.

Great Review!!!...I Was given one of these the other day from a buddy who owns a local shop ( mostly because he knows my un-natural love for Adams, and he doesn't really stock it), but also because he said I would never regret hitting one.. And boy was he right, it is the easiest to hit hybrid I have ever had in my hands that is not a GI hybrid..Also the turf interaction off the ground at contact is fantastic, it just drives through the ball just like an iron (most hybrids seem to just skim the ground I feel like I have to force myself to drive through them).. It's not a question of will it be in my bag, but how many of them will be?

Stealth 2+ 7.0 PD 6X

Stealth 2+ 5wd ADDI-7x

iCrossover 3H ADDI 95x

ZX7 MKii 4-AW C-Taper 130x

MG4 56* 60* DGX7 Spinner 

PLD Custom Anser 2D BGT Stability 

Great review! It's making it awfully hard for me to keep from upgrading from the previous version (which I love).

Titleist TSR2 9.0 with Graphite Design Tour AD-UB6S
[size=3]Titleist TSI2 13.5 degree with Graphite Design Tour AD-HD7S
Callaway Paradym Heavenwood
2023 TaylorMade P790 4-AW Nippon Pro Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM9 54 and 60 w/Nippon Pro Modus 120x
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/TaylorMade Spider X Navy

I've tried the 18 degree that a buddy of mine has on several occasions. Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely HATED this hybrid. The feel was horrid. Don't start bashing the comment yet as I understand feel is subjective but the feel to me felt as bad as any hybrid I've ever hit. Some had to do with the fact I don't like the RIP shaft, but the head just felt ... off. I don't know another way to describe it but I was very disappointed in the club.

I'll stick with my $25 Nickent 3DX hybrids for the time being.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1312863401' post='3464760']
Have the 18 and 21 degree firmly in my bag as well..RIP 85 in stiff is a very nice shaft and is plenty for my ss (110)...
[/quote]

I have the 21 as well with a RIP85 in stiff... and we have the same SS. The combo flat out performs.. I want a 23.5 now.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I want to not like it becasue I really don't like the white, I love my all black clubs, I think the contrast helps with me lining the ball up, but I can't seem to stay away from this and the review isn't helping. I play the TM driver right now (SuperTri and SuperDeep) with the Aldila TM RIP (a) 70x and I think I need to try me one of these bad boys... I'm blaming you guys

Callaway XR16 Pro 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 65 S
TaylorMade M1 17* Fujikura Pro 70 S
Srixon Z45h 19* Aldila Rouge Black 85S
Srixon 745 4-P Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Stinger Raw 51*-55*-59* KBS HiRev Tour
Bettinardi Soft Carbon Half Moon Raw 33.5"
Srixon Z Star

[quote name='gmetcalf18' timestamp='1312869461' post='3465034']
I want to not like it becasue I really don't like the white, I love my all black clubs, I think the contrast helps with me lining the ball up, but I can't seem to stay away from this and the review isn't helping. I play the TM driver right now (SuperTri and SuperDeep) with the Aldila TM RIP (a) 70x and I think I need to try me one of these bad boys... I'm blaming you guys
[/quote]

I got an R11 first and the Rescue 2011 2H the following week. My wallet needs time to recover. :(

[quote name='sTmGolfer' timestamp='1312865402' post='3464879']
I've tried the 18 degree that a buddy of mine has on several occasions. Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely HATED this hybrid. The feel was horrid. Don't start bashing the comment yet as I understand feel is subjective but the feel to me felt as bad as any hybrid I've ever hit. Some had to do with the fact I don't like the RIP shaft, but the head just felt ... off. I don't know another way to describe it but I was very disappointed in the club.

I'll stick with my $25 Nickent 3DX hybrids for the time being.
[/quote]

The Rescue 11 TP with the RIP shaft is a stout combo. I think the Miyazaki hybrid shaft would be a great combo for those who don't like the RIP in this hybrid.