JB Cold Weld as epoxy

MattMo

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use JB Weld on all of my clubs. I have no clue why, I just have never been able to get anything else to consistently stick together.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1301448977' post='3100882']
[quote name='Svenanole' timestamp='1301448913' post='3100872']
I use JB Weld on all of my clubs. I have no clue why, I just have never been able to get anything else to consistently stick together.
[/quote]

How do you ever pull a shaft?
[/quote]

heatgun ans shaft extractor

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX

[quote name='Svenanole' timestamp='1301449741' post='3100929']
[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1301448977' post='3100882']
[/quote]

How do you ever pull a shaft?
[/quote]

heatgun ans shaft extractor
[/quote]

Huh - I wouldn't have figured that would work...well, learn something new every day and all that.

The reason I ask is I have some laying around the house and I'd be using it to reshaft a gap wedge, so it's probably something I'd never need to extract again. I'm kinda impatient, so I don't wanna wait to get some Golfsmith epoxy shipped, so it's either the JB or some Loctite Quick Set. The kind that sets up in 5 minutes, but needs longer to cure, not really the super fast kind that's ready in 5 minutes.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

[quote name='MattMo' timestamp='1301459613' post='3101459']
The reason I ask is I have some laying around the house and I'd be using it to reshaft a gap wedge, so it's probably something I'd never need to extract again. I'm kinda impatient, so I don't wanna wait to get some Golfsmith epoxy shipped, so it's either the JB or some Loctite Quick Set. The kind that sets up in 5 minutes, but needs longer to cure, not really the super fast kind that's ready in 5 minutes.

[/quote]

Go to Ace hardware or your local hardware store and get some Devcon epoxy. 5 minute working time and cured in 1 hour. High shear strengh and still retains low heat breakdown properties (200*F). I really like the stuff. Been using it the last few months with no failures. My golf pro told me about it.

I stopped by the hardware store and got the Devcon epoxy. It has 2500 psi strength, which is ideal for golf clubs, based on what I've read. If I was doing an entire set of clubs, I'd order the golfsmith stuff, but since I'm only doing 1 club, this should work (I hope).

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1301490373' post='3101897']

[/quote]

Go to Ace hardware or your local hardware store and get some Devcon epoxy. 5 minute working time and cured in 1 hour. High shear strengh and still retains low heat breakdown properties (200*F). I really like the stuff. Been using it the last few months with no failures. My golf pro told me about it.
[/quote]

200*F seems a pretty low temp for the epoxy breakdown. That could be the temp in your trunk parked in the sun on a hot day.

Shambles

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1301493239' post='3102015']

[/quote]

[/quote]

200*F seems a pretty low temp for the epoxy breakdown. That could be the temp in your trunk parked in the sun on a hot day.

Shambles
[/quote]

What's the temp breakdown for golf shaft epoxy?

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 

[quote name='MattMo' timestamp='1301495064' post='3102128']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

What's the temp breakdown for golf shaft epoxy?
[/quote]

Typically, 250*

[/quote]

[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

I don't think so.

Typical trunk temps are in the 130-140's (no direct sunlight) on a very hot summer day. I have checked this on numerous occasions.

The Devcon stuff is excellent.

[quote name='MattMo' timestamp='1301492260' post='3101973']
I stopped by the hardware store and got the Devcon epoxy. It has 2500 psi strength, which is ideal for golf clubs, based on what I've read. If I was doing an entire set of clubs, I'd order the golfsmith stuff, but since I'm only doing 1 club, this should work (I hope).
[/quote]

It will work perfectly! trust me, my golf pro has been using this stuff for years with no failures.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Shambles
[/quote]

Shambles-

On the hottest day of the year place a digital wireless thermometer in your trunk, heck even in your car in direct sunlight.

If you get a reading higher than 140's I will be astonished.

My experimentation with this goes back to college, where we did a trend on cabin and trunk temperatures for the hottest days of summer here in KS (105+ F). On our graph, we never saw anything above 143* in the cabin and a 130* in the trunk of the BLACK car we used as our test subject.

I got the 2 ton Devcon: 2500 psi strength. [url="http://www.vanderhoofs.com/servlet/the-218/Devcon-2-Ton-Epoxy/Detail"]http://www.vanderhoofs.com/servlet/the-218/Devcon-2-Ton-Epoxy/Detail[/url] Looks like it's good up to 200*. Is there a better Devcon I shoulda got? Most of them only had 1600-1800 psi strength. Thanks.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 

[quote name='MattMo' timestamp='1301497774' post='3102267']
I got the 2 ton Devcon: 2500 psi strength. [url="http://www.vanderhoofs.com/servlet/the-218/Devcon-2-Ton-Epoxy/Detail"]http://www.vanderhoo...on-Epoxy/Detail[/url] Looks like it's good up to 200*. Is there a better Devcon I shoulda got? Most of them only had 1600-1800 psi strength. Thanks.

[/quote]

Nope, that's the one I use.

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1301499602' post='3102369']
[quote name='MattMo' timestamp='1301497774' post='3102267']
I got the 2 ton Devcon: 2500 psi strength. [url="http://www.vanderhoofs.com/servlet/the-218/Devcon-2-Ton-Epoxy/Detail"]http://www.vanderhoo...on-Epoxy/Detail[/url] Looks like it's good up to 200*. Is there a better Devcon I shoulda got? Most of them only had 1600-1800 psi strength. Thanks.

[/quote]

Nope, that's the one I use.
[/quote]

Same here, been using 2 Ton Devcon for years, with no issues.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

This is a great topic. I'd never use JB Weld but like I've said many times, if it works for you go for it. I've used plain old 2 part loctite on every club I've ever assembled and never once had an issue.
But when I was in ace the other day picking up supplies for my Adams hybrid ghosting project. I saw the devcon 2 ton epoxy and decided to grab it for the Callaway X-20's I'm building. So its great to hear that you guys are already using it with success.
Also just a side note in case anyone doesn't know this. There is absolutly no reason to buy the grip tape solution from golfsmith/golfworks/etc. All it is is odorless mineral spirits. Some places add a scent to it but its still just mineral spirits, buy it from your local hardware store for half the price.

[/quote]

You're doing it wrong!

I also use the Devcon 2 TON. So far it's been great. I do let the clubs cure for at least a day or two. I've shafted my 3 wood and have thrown a couple of shafts into Cobra ZL adapters... Not one issue. Readily available and it's only 4 bucks! I use it pretty liberally and then just wiped excess off with acetone. Plenty of working time too.

[quote name='buttah' timestamp='1301579582' post='3105403']
This is a great topic. I'd never use JB Weld but like I've said many times, if it works for you go for it. I've used plain old 2 part loctite on every club I've ever assembled and never once had an issue.
But when I was in ace the other day picking up supplies for my Adams hybrid ghosting project. I saw the devcon 2 ton epoxy and decided to grab it for the Callaway X-20's I'm building. So its great to hear that you guys are already using it with success.
Also just a side note in case anyone doesn't know this. There is absolutly no reason to buy the grip tape solution from golfsmith/golfworks/etc. All it is is odorless mineral spirits. Some places add a scent to it but its still just mineral spirits, buy it from your local hardware store for half the price.
[/quote]

...or purchase it for about 5 bucks a gallon at your local Walmart.

RC 105 V 9.5 w/ Accra CS1 370
Mizuno MP-650 w/ Diamana B80x
Tourstage X-UT w/ Thump + +
Fourteen 610 TS 3i w/ Nippon 130
Mizuno MP-4 4-pw w/ Nippon 130
Scratch D/S 56, 60 w/ Nippon 125
Byron Design DH-89 "Southpaw"

[/quote]

[/quote]

you can buy this at walmart, or your local ace hardware store. great stuff, i have been using it for years. and i change shafts and clubs around about every two weeks, at times. just be sure and let it cure overnight for a really solid cure. it says one hour, but if you go hit a bucket of balls with a club cured only an hour. sometimes it starts to pull back out.

• 1 month later...

boy is this thread right up my alley.

this past fall i had bought a set of pured x100 shafts. i had an authorized titleist installer put the shafts into my existing heads (required a std pull, and re-shaft). four of the heads flew off in two weeks and all but one were recovered (the one that wasn't recoverable was used over a 200yd par3 - 6iron flew into the lake!!). i went back to the guy, and he had the epoxy that golfsmith sells. took them to a reputable guy at pga tour superstore and the set never had another problem.

one week ago i bought a set of flighted project x shafts and had them spine aligned. wanted them installed in a set of titleist ap2's. took them to a reputable guy here in buford, ga. he used mitchell epoxy. well, within a few days the 3iron flew off, then the PW flew off. the PW flew off a day before a very important event. so, i'm sick of this sh*t.

today, i called an auto parts store. they told me about this stuff called jb weld epoxy that guys use on engine blocks. i thought "that's what i need..." so i bought the stuff, and just did my own set. 1-iron thru PW. i have subsequently read the stuff about "...hope you don't ever want to remove the heads..." well, uh, having a club head fly off during play is about as bad as it gets... much worse than not being able to easily remove them in a re-shaft...

jb weld looks to be the epoxy for guys like me... my driver ss is 118mph and i really go after my irons typically taking a nice healthy divot.

[size=2][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Taylormade M2 10.5° Kuro Kage Silver TiNi X-flex
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 14° Motore Speeder VC 6.2 X-flex
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 18° Motore Speeder VC 6.2 X-flex
Titleist 714MB 3-PW Tour Issue X100[/font][/size]
[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Tour Issue X100[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Ping Anser 2[/font][/size]

[quote name='Tomed' timestamp='1305748294' post='3244923']
boy is this thread right up my alley.

this past fall i had bought a set of pured x100 shafts. i had an authorized titleist installer put the shafts into my existing heads (required a std pull, and re-shaft). four of the heads flew off in two weeks and all but one were recovered (the one that wasn't recoverable was used over a 200yd par3 - 6iron flew into the lake!!). i went back to the guy, and he had the epoxy that golfsmith sells. took them to a reputable guy at pga tour superstore and the set never had another problem.

one week ago i bought a set of flighted project x shafts and had them spine aligned. wanted them installed in a set of titleist ap2's. took them to a reputable guy here in buford, ga. he used mitchell epoxy. well, within a few days the 3iron flew off, then the PW flew off. the PW flew off a day before a very important event. so, i'm sick of this sh*t.

today, i called an auto parts store. they told me about this stuff called jb weld epoxy that guys use on engine blocks. i thought "that's what i need..." so i bought the stuff, and just did my own set. 1-iron thru PW. i have subsequently read the stuff about "...hope you don't ever want to remove the heads..." well, uh, having a club head fly off during play is about as bad as it gets... much worse than not being able to easily remove them in a re-shaft...

jb weld looks to be the epoxy for guys like me... my driver ss is 118mph and i really go after my irons typically taking a nice healthy divot.
[/quote]

Sounds like your builder had expired epoxy. Shelf life is only a year tops. I swing just as fast or faster and am a digger and never had a problem. I've used devcon 5 min, golfsmith 5 min tour van, and golfworks tour van. I take the time to prep properly and always use fresh epoxy. I don't trust other people around here to do it properly like I do.

[quote name='TAG617' timestamp='1301581393' post='3105488']
[/quote]

You're doing it wrong!

I also use the Devcon 2 TON. So far it's been great. I do let the clubs cure for at least a day or two. I've shafted my 3 wood and have thrown a couple of shafts into Cobra ZL adapters... Not one issue. Readily available and it's only 4 bucks! I use it pretty liberally and then just wiped excess off with acetone. Plenty of working time too.
[/quote]

big update: I use JB Quick, now Weld.

Holy crap there is a difference in strength.

After 20 years of club building I finally had a set of irons that seemed to bond poorly. I had the creaking sound and I just was not happy with them. I figured perhaps it was a bad mix job, so I redid one club. I meticulously measured the epoxy, cleaned everything and lo and behold I had the same issue. I figured it must be out of date epoxy - I never had that happen (Golfworks 24 hour). So, I removed all the heads and cleaned the hosels and shafts and I right away went and ordered some more epoxy. I knew I would have to wait 4-5 days to get it, I started searching this site and others for local alternatives. Like many of you the thought of using non-golf epoxy did not sit well with me but I thought I would at least investigate. I saw mention of the Gorilla epoxy and knew that was locally available. I saw the posts above about its strength etc. but I wanted to hear it from the horses mouth. I emailed Gorilla for their technical data sheet. They did send me the information and it does look like Gorilla 5 minute epoxy would be a viable substitute. The lap shear strength is 2400 psi and breakdown temp is 200 deg F. In the end, I did purchase some Gorilla but just couldn't get myself to use it for a whole set and I am still waiting on the golf epoxy. I just thought I would post this and save someone some time so they don't have to contact Gorilla themselves. I copied the psi from their pdf below.

Property Value - Typical
Lap Shear Strength (ASTM D1002)
Steel 2400 psi