Amateurs with Staff Bags...Yes or No?(merged)

Comments

• Ping ZingsPing Zings Members Posts: 833 ✭✭
    Use what ever floats your boat.
  • joey2acesjoey2aces not as smart as most but not as gullible either Members Posts: 5,884 ✭✭

I don't care either way. We do tend to chuckle at guys with big staff bags and egos....when they take 10 practice swings and the real goes 15 yards though. I wouldn't want to have to carry one around though.

so you do care then,.....
    Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
    2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
    M2 4h AD DI 8s
    Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
    718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
    Scratch 53 Modus 125
    Scratch 57 Modus 125
    PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

WITB Link
  • Gumby82Gumby82 Members Posts: 132
    As long as you haven't embroided your name on it as an an amateur who cares. Not many people carry here in Aus you either cart or have a push trolley.
    Driver - TM RBZ - Aldilla RIP gamma x flex
    2 Hybrid - Nike Vapor Speed - Fubuki s flex
    3 - 6 - MP 25 - DGx100
    7- PW - MP5 - DGx100
    52, 56 and 60 - MP T4
    Putter - Odyssey Tank
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1236582-witb-new-mizuno-irons/
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green MichiganMembers Posts: 4,410 ✭✭
    Who cares. Use a 10+ year old basic black C130, but that's just me. But.....if I ever find a minty one of these bad boys, will be rolling with it. Loud and Proud:

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • ZephyrZephyr Members Posts: 42
    Halebopp wrote:

Zephyr wrote:

I don't care either way. We do tend to chuckle at guys with big staff bags and egos....when they take 10 practice swings and the real goes 15 yards though. I wouldn't want to have to carry one around though.

Has anybody truly watched someone walk a course with a staff bag? I haven't but I guess I'd love to watch that guy try to do it or I might be a little frightened by a guy who can and is willing to do so, especially in our summers down here. I put mine on my push cart and love it. I guess I have a stand bag to sell if someone wants it.

Last Tuesday I saw a guy carrying the Mizuno Tour Cart bag on the course with the single shoulder strap going over his head. My first thought was the poor guy should've bought the Tour Elite (staff) bag as that comes with two shoulder straps like a traditional carry bag.

The guy he was playing with was carrying his bag from the front handle - that looked like an even worse way to carry. A couple of minutes later we heard their tee shots and those sounds pretty much proved that they must have been beginners.

Or too tired to swing the club properly
  • RumpillaRumpilla Members Posts: 248
    Whatever you want to sport as a bag go for it. I love the look of staff bags but they do suck to carry around.
  • LeftygilmoreLeftygilmore Members Posts: 101
    edited Sep 4, 2015 #758
    I said no only because I've walked up and asked too many golfers "so what tour are you on?" and 95% of the time, its no tour, I just like a big staff bag. IT just leads to an awkward starring contest.

**Foot in mouth**
    Driver: Ping Anser 10.5* Paderson Kinetix KG86OTP-D30 Shaft
    Fairway: Ping Rapture V2 3-wood 15*, TFC stiff shaft
    Hybrid: Cleveland Classic 2H 18*, Maxtrix Ozik x-stiff
    Irons: Cleveland CG7 Tour Player Issue, 4-PW, Project X 6.5
    Wedges: Cleveland CG 14 , 55*, 59*
    Putter: Odyessy White Ice #9
    Ball: Either Prov 1x or Talyormade Penta
  • SadTromboneSadTrombone . Members Posts: 6,781 ✭✭
    I said no only because I've walked up and asked too many golfers "so what tour are you on?" and 95% of the time, its no tour, I just like a big staff bag. IT just leads to an awkward starring contest. **Foot in mouth**

Well, stop being passive-aggressive about their choice of bag and it won't be an awkward staring contest.
  • moony_12moony_12 Members Posts: 86 ✭✭
    It seems like tour bags are a lot more common over here with push carts. I think they're great for tournaments and carrying everything you need, but I'm not opposed to using a stand or pencil bag for a quick trip round the links.
    M1 '16 RIP Phenom 70X
    Adams Idea PRO VST RIP Phenom 100X 17
    Wilson FG2 3I - RIP Phenom Hyb 95X
    Titleist CB 4-6 C-Taper X
    Titleist MB 7-PW C-Taper X
    Taylormade EF 50, 54
    SM6 58
    Odyssey 2 ball, Fatso 5.0
  • m-gavin56m-gavin56 Members Posts: 309
    I admit it I got a staff bag when I first started and have switched to a cart bag...while I agree there is a ton of storage in staff bag it just seems to be that one huuuugge pocket then like to more I like have more zippers to stay organized I can be rummaging around that giant pocket
  • Makuakane_BearMakuakane_Bear Members Posts: 783 ✭✭
    edited Oct 24, 2015 #762
    I say anyone can do what they want. It's just a bag at the end of the day. It makes no difference to me. If they have their name on it with some sponsorship logos I might ask a few questions about what Tour they play on but that's about it. If they don't play on a tour...that's ok too- probably just a gift. Personally, I would never play a bag with someone else's name on it unless I was borrowing it one time.

Overall, I think they look really cool. I got one as a gift but have yet to take it out. It's just too pretty to be used:) At some point, I will fill it with that OEMs clubs for a fun back up bag. Until then, it is a fun show piece:)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G400 LST, 10.6*, Aldila X-Torsion Copper Mamba, 60S
    Ping G400,14.5*, Alta CB65S[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G410 Hybrid, 19*, Tour 85S / Cobra F6 Baffler, 17.5*, Matrix Red Tie 65Q4S
    Ping i200, (4-PW), DG S300
    Ping Glide Wedges-50* SS, 54*WS, 58*ES, DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5/ Bettinardi BB1 Tiki Limited Run
    Srixon Z-Star [/font]
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,887 ClubWRX
    There are a few pros that play at my course frequently. One from the Canadian Tour (he also played the Nationwide Tour) and a couple of others that play on the mini tours (one has Monday Qualified for PGA events). One is endorsed by Srixon and the others are TM.

None of these guys show up with staff bags. They all use basic stand bags without embroidered names or logos. If you didn't know who they were, you would just think they are just a few regular customers.
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG 0311T 4-P - Dynamic Gold AMT TI S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 68 - DGTI S400
    Machine M2A Converter
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,230 ✭✭
    From personal experience, the guys with the most expensive clubs and huge staff bags are not the best golfers. Watch out for the guy with a beat up Sunday bag with old clubs, especially if he's an old guy.

Whatever bag a fellow likes to use is OK with me.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,606 ✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

There are a few pros that play at my course frequently. One from the Canadian Tour (he also played the Nationwide Tour) and a couple of others that play on the mini tours (one has Monday Qualified for PGA events). One is endorsed by Srixon and the others are TM.

None of these guys show up with staff bags. They all use basic stand bags without embroidered names or logos. If you didn't know who they were, you would just think they are just a few regular customers.

Sounds like they are just a few regular customers. I wouldn't use a staff bag. I also would not drive a Crown Victoria or wear Sans-A-Belt slacks.
    Titleist 917D2
    Callaway Rogue 4-wood
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 54/58
    Odyssey 1 WS putter
  • rockinarrockinar Members Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

Jhonattan Vegas was a member at my last club. I saw him multiple times...with a Nike staff bag. He must be a hack.
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    You can't tell what kind of a player is by his bag or clubs.

Any player who walks and carries a staff bag is an idiot, or a really strong guy. I rarely see amateurs with staff bags unless they are riding. When playing casual golf most all

pro's use a smaller bag (they don't want to carry them either). We had the PGA Club Pro Championship at my home course several years ago and I can't recall seeing anyone lugging a Staff Bag. A number of these Pro's used to be on the tour and probably didn't have sponsors, and used local members to carry their bag.

I have a staff bag, use it to put extra clubs, works well for that. I do know a couple of club members who ride that use a staff bag, more power to them. Neither impresses me, nor depresses me. It is just a bag.
  • Makuakane_BearMakuakane_Bear Members Posts: 783 ✭✭
    Guia wrote:
    You can't tell what kind of a player is by his bag or clubs.

Any player who walks and carries a staff bag is an idiot, or a really strong guy. I rarely see amateurs with staff bags unless they are riding. When playing casual golf most all

pro's use a smaller bag (they don't want to carry them either). We had the PGA Club Pro Championship at my home course several years ago and I can't recall seeing anyone lugging a Staff Bag. A number of these Pro's used to be on the tour and probably didn't have sponsors, and used local members to carry their bag.

I have a staff bag, use it to put extra clubs, works well for that. I do know a couple of club members who ride that use a staff bag, more power to them. Neither impresses me, nor depresses me. It is just a bag.

Walking with a staff bag is a bit ridiculous. Riding with one or using it with a push cart is okay.

Agree with what you said...it is just a bag.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G400 LST, 10.6*, Aldila X-Torsion Copper Mamba, 60S
    Ping G400,14.5*, Alta CB65S[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G410 Hybrid, 19*, Tour 85S / Cobra F6 Baffler, 17.5*, Matrix Red Tie 65Q4S
    Ping i200, (4-PW), DG S300
    Ping Glide Wedges-50* SS, 54*WS, 58*ES, DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5/ Bettinardi BB1 Tiki Limited Run
    Srixon Z-Star [/font]
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    I have both staff bag and a stand bag, I normally bring the staff bag out when I am playing on tournaments, 90% of the time I am carrying my stand bag since I rather walk, I do have a clicgear cart so once in a while I put the staff bag on it...but I really don't care what others are carrying their clubs in...
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, GD Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5 33.25" with Scotty Custom Black Pistolero grip, Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up blacked out Pingman Grip
    Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1
  • heisman6183heisman6183 Cedar Rapids, IAMembers Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Cost prohibitive for me, but the Odyssey fusion rx bag is really cool with the mesh pattern.
  • tbrumbeloe13tbrumbeloe13 GeorgiaMembers Posts: 706 ✭✭
    I'd love to have one, but I'd hate to use it.
  • Dave AlvaradoDave Alvarado Members Posts: 14
    I'd love a staff bag to keep at home with all my spare clubs and other golf junk. I've got enough to fill one that isn't in my gamer bag.
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,390 ✭✭
    Since the end of summer I've seen a lot of Scotty Cameron staff bags on the course. These of course are designed for amateurs, but way too flashy for me
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Just ordered my new (staff) bag. Boss never got back to me about putting the company logo on it, so it'll just have my name on it.

It's also going to work great on my Clicgear. Looking forward to getting it in 3-4 weeks.
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,390 ✭✭

Just ordered my new (staff) bag. Boss never got back to me about putting the company logo on it, so it'll just have my name on it.

It's also going to work great on my Clicgear. Looking forward to getting it in 3-4 weeks.

Are you going to use the Tour Bag Kit for the Clicgear?
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD DI 7S
    Titleist 917 F3 GD TourAD IZ 8S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
    BottleCap wrote:

Are you going to use the Tour Bag Kit for the Clicgear?

Yes. I tested it with my current (10.5" 2001 Titleist) staff bag. That was a gift from my uncle, who got me started in the game. It worked great, but the slightly smaller bag should be easier for me to travel with.
  • lefty77RSlefty77RS Members Posts: 81
    I have a staff bag and have used it for 1 year now. I use the bag for intercontinental travel as it keeps the clubs safe and also has plenty of space for golf shoes and the rest of my crap.

When using on local courses I use with my R1 push cart. Perfect fit in my opinion.

Just got my 9.5" Titleist Staff bag in....with my name on it. Looks great and fits great on my Clicgear. Really happy with the purchase.
  • sheamclkelsheamclkel Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
    The size and space of a tour bag is amazing but that's about where the luxury stops.

I have always felt that tour bags for amateurs (especially with their name on it) was simply tacky. Not sure why, maybe it's because I had to earn my bag with my name on it. Kinda feel like it is a luxury for being a professional.

No hate towards anyone who does use one, just not for me!
  • Joeray1983Joeray1983 Members Posts: 54
    I've got the Nike Air Hybrid 14 way and the Titleist 14 way stand bags and those even get too heavy from time to time. Not a chance I'd use a staff bag. Plus the bag chatter would drive me nuts.
    Taylormade M2 Kuro Kage Silver 60X/Taylormade M1 Speeder Evolution 661 Tour X-Stiff
    Taylormade M2 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g X-Stiff
    Nike Vapor Speed 3H 21 Fubuki Z70
    Taylormade PSI 4-PW KBS C-Taper 105 S
    Edel Nipper Narrow Master's Edition (52,56,60)
    Bettinardi Limited Run BB28
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Members Posts: 4,866 ✭✭
    I am thinking about getting a new Callaway Mini Staff bag since I only ride now. I don't want to be embarrassed carrying it to put on the cart, but I am tired of my small stand bag which gets clubs tangled. Decisions....
    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 Tensei Pro White 60s
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    PXG 0211 4 Iron Elevate Tour
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    PXG Gen2 Gunboat