Hawaii GolfWRX'ers where did you play?

pitbull808

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony.. ;) Maybe we should only post how many strokes + or - of your handicap. Keep everyone guessing about how poor or good we are. :cheesy:

***As one of my golf coaches told the team in high school....."Pull up your socks, tuck in your shirts...heck...if you can't play good...at least look good! You'll fool half the guys on the course! :fool:

Played in my normal skins game at Volcano Country Club on Big Island. We tried to play 36. I shot 76 on the first 18 which wasn't bad considering I hit it bad and putted worse...I was playing better on the back 18...Around even when it started storming on 15. 16 and 17 are birdie holes and then you try to hit it in bounds on 18. I might have broken par...

I almost forgot...Not a great first outing for the new Titleist 585. I hit it left everytime I hit it except once. I am less than thrilled with the NV shaft in it. I have a VS proto going in it tomorrow and maybe that will help...

Darn it Chris...76..under par...now you're going to make us all practice more or lie better to post in here! :cheesy: Good shooting!

I'm guessing but I think you'll find the UST Hybrid much better then the NV. I had an NV in my TM and didn't like it at all. The TM was already a hook machine but I think the NV helped it go right all the time too. Worse comes to worse...get yourself a Fuji 904HB. One of my favorite hybrid shafts at the moment.

Tony.. ;) Maybe we should only post how many strokes + or - of your handicap. Keep everyone guessing about how poor or good we are. :fool:

***As one of my golf coaches told the team in high school....."Pull up your socks, tuck in your shirts...heck...if you can't play good...at least look good! You'll fool half the guys on the course! ;)

:cheesy: Good idea Reid. As for looking good; there is a limit to how much I can fool anyone. I have the right clothes (red and black with the appropriate swoosh logo) and equipment...for someone else's game! ;) I can fool them off the tee, but once they see me miss the green left, more left, short and left, long and left, then waaaay left; I think they will figure me out! :D

Played in my normal skins game at Volcano Country Club on Big Island. We tried to play 36. I shot 76 on the first 18 which wasn't bad considering I hit it bad and putted worse...I was playing better on the back 18...Around even when it started storming on 15. 16 and 17 are birdie holes and then you try to hit it in bounds on 18. I might have broken par...

I almost forgot...Not a great first outing for the new Titleist 585. I hit it left everytime I hit it except once. I am less than thrilled with the NV shaft in it. I have a VS proto going in it tomorrow and maybe that will help...

76 and the chance to go sub par? Nice! ;)

Thanks for the kind words but if you guys knew more about the course, you might wonder why it wasn't lower...I play on quite possibly to easiest course in Hawaii. It is pretty short (6700 yards?) and plays at 4100 feet elevation. I am far from the longest guy around and I can drive five of the par fours with a solid swing and the right wind. The par fives are all mid irons second shots. On the 17th, a 535 yard par 5, I hit three wood OB, reteed with my hybrid and then hit another hybrid in the green side bunker. I then holed the bunker shot for a par...Where else could you get away with that. That gives you an idea of how short it plays. If any of you are ever on Big Island on a Sunday morning, let me know and I will get you in the game. None of us are great players but, it is a fun time....

Chris...you're much too modest! 6700 is still darn good.

I was out at Koolau this morning. Drove it well...didn't lose one ball. Then again...I was only on the range! :cheesy: Damn hot day today...the "Vog" is killer! I thought my head was a faucet the way I was dripping all over the place!

I was out at Koolau this morning. Drove it well...didn't lose one ball. Then again...I was only on the range! :fool: Damn hot day today...the "Vog" is killer! I thought my head was a faucet the way I was dripping all over the place!

I echo that sentiment, I was at Pearl CC and I was dripping after 10 minutes. Hurry up and rain!!! Chris, 76 is a great score no matter what course you played. Great job!!! :cheesy:

i was at pearl today also. only at the driving range though. had to test out something, i really dont seem to like their range setup, but i go there anyway.

I don't care for Pearl either. I hate hitting in a ditch. You can't get your yardage's down. Even at Koolau...a downhill slope but at least the balls are Nike practice balls...at least most of them. A few Top Rocks thrown in the bunch too. I also like the way they have the poles sitting on "greens" plus the putting green is only a few feet away.

i was at pearl today also. only at the driving range though. had to test out something, i really dont seem to like their range setup, but i go there anyway.

I don't care for Pearl either. I hate hitting in a ditch. You can't get your yardage's down. Even at Koolau...a downhill slope but at least the balls are Nike practice balls...at least most of them. A few Top Rocks thrown in the bunch too. I also like the way they have the poles sitting on "greens" plus the putting green is only a few feet away.

koolau sounds nice, i never went there to practice before. seems so far away!

pm hacker Posted Today, 02:27 PM

QUOTE(pitbull808 @ Aug 28 2006, 02:19 PM)

I was out at Koolau this morning. Drove it well...didn't lose one ball. Then again...I was only on the range! Damn hot day today...the "Vog" is killer! I thought my head was a faucet the way I was dripping all over the place!

I echo that sentiment, I was at Pearl CC and I was dripping after 10 minutes. Hurry up and rain!!! Chris, 76 is a great score no matter what course you played. Great job!!!

You live on the wrong island...It does nothing but rain in Hilo. We even had a thunder storm yesterday. That is why we had to leave the course...

Chris...I guess that's why Kimberly Kim left the island! :cheesy: I know she said once that it was hard to practive when it rained 90% of the time!

Dwight...c'mon..you've got H3 now...ten minutes away from Pearl City. I'm in Nuuanu and just fly over the mountain...only pain in the butt is the gas bill for the Sequoia! :fool:

I don't care for Pearl either. I hate hitting in a ditch. You can't get your yardage's down. Even at Koolau...a downhill slope but at least the balls are Nike practice balls...at least most of them. A few Top Rocks thrown in the bunch too. I also like the way they have the polls sitting on "greens" plus the putting green is only a few feet away.

The set up stinks at Pearl CC, but I try to have fun....like hitttng the ball into the 17th hole fairway on the other side of the fence.

I don't care for Pearl either. I hate hitting in a ditch. You can't get your yardage's down. Even at Koolau...a downhill slope but at least the balls are Nike practice balls...at least most of them. A few Top Rocks thrown in the bunch too. I also like the way they have the polls sitting on "greens" plus the putting green is only a few feet away.

The set up stinks at Pearl CC, but I try to have fun....like hitttng the ball into the 17th hole fairway on the other side of the fence.

:cheesy: I have to admit..I've aimed at the coconut trees on the 18th hole fairway too.

:cheesy: I have to admit..I've aimed at the coconut trees on the 18th hole fairway too.

I played a hook once from the upper range and it landed on the 18th green, but didn't want to hook it that much :fool:

I played a hook once from the upper range and it landed on the 18th green, but didn't want to hook it that much :fool:

I had to think a minute.....pretty stupid considering I play with you every week. Hook to the 18th...yup..that's about right for you "lefty".

I had to think a minute.....pretty stupid considering I play with you every week. Hook to the 18th...yup..that's about right for you "lefty".

See what happens to your mind ;) when you're constantly thinking about ;) ho'ing ;)

haha, yah well for me i have to be on the upper range area to even have a chance for the fence. i just cant do it from the bottom..... :fool:

but i would have liked to see the hook shot to the 18th, and the peoples faces if there was anybody on the green! is that why there is alot of range balls by the 18th green? haha, nah its probrably people like me who always hits a few extra shots everytime walking up to the green. i just cant help i when there are range balls all over the fairway!! :cheesy:

I am auditioning several drivers right now (playing on Kauai this weekend), so I decided to play Ala Wai this morning. I pulled one of my hybrids and brought 2 drivers. No, I am not Phil! I used one on the front nine and the other on the back nine. However, I made one very critical mistake. I switched putters! I was putting on the carpet and made everything with my Monza Corsa, so I pulled my NP2 and played the Monza. B-I-G mistake. Still, with the bad putter and 2 unfamiliar drivers, I managed to bunt my way to a (can I say somewhat disappointing) 82. :idhitit:

Tour Issue Hi-Bore w/ Diamana 83x was nice, but inconsistant. Tourstage 435 w/ GD PT-6 was very straight, but didn't go anywhere, even when I thought I hammered it. Tourstage is already gone and the Hi-Bore will be in a BST soon. Putter was awful; I missed birdie putts from 6 feet, which I ususally don't do (they weren't hard putts).

Course was a little dry (when is it not?), but the greens seemed to be in good shape. Anytime I can finish in 3 1/2 hours, I am pretty happy about that.

82 is a pretty good round with two drivers that don't know how to act and a putter that doesn't work. Those are my two best clubs and when they act up, there is not tellin' what kind of number I will put up. The last time both of them went out, I lost a bunch of money...We have a Thursday group that is usually about 10 people. You play low net against all of them and pay everyone with a lower score two bucks. That time, there were 28 people and I finished dead last...Expensive...

Tony...ala wai? Wow...I haven't been there since high school golf. I've been meaning to get there but no one else wants to play with me.....there....plus the tee times are still a beatch to get. ;)

I remember it always being rather dry but the greens were always good. One day I'll have to walk on. Must remember to play fast though....or the old men WILL yell at you! :idhitit:

Well, Ala Wai is the closest muni for me. While it is not the greatest test of golf, it is cheap, reasonably well cared for , and a good place for me to test equipment since I have played it many times and know my usual spots. Yeah, the tee times can be difficult, but walking on is usually not too bad. Interesting enough, I have a friend who is a 6 handicap who shot 88 or 89 there during the Mayor's cup last year! First time he had seen the course, but he is a good player, so I was surprised that Ala Wai put up that much of a fight. Tough to beat $12 to walk and $20 to ride though. Unless you are a senior and qualify for the $35 for 10 rounds special; but I have a ways to go for that one!

I like the muni's myself mainly because when I first picked up golf I hacked it around Makalena until I got better. I still like Ewa Villages a lot, and probably would like Ala Wai more if it wasn't so busy all the time. I have no patience. One of these days though, I'll probably walk on after work and play 9.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

Personally, I love playing the muni's. Great prices and pretty decent courses. Although I usually stick to Ala Wai, West Loch, and Ewa Villages. Since it costs me $3/bag to hit balls, I would rather go play 18 holes for $12 and practice actual shots. Especially since I am about a 2 handicap on the range, but a 10 or 11 on the course! :idhitit: I need the practice.

Yup, can't beat a good deal for a round of golf. That's it, I'm playing this weekend somewhere, anywhere...except Bayview. Have any of you been to Pali lately? Can it be considered playable at all or is it still "under repair". Last time i was there the rough was shorter than the fairway in some places. Only good thing was there was no wait at all.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

ive been to pali the other week. definitely some holes are better than others. cant complain for the price though. it sucks that the other week i hurt my back on the third hole, i think i pinched a nerve or something when i bent over to pick up my ball. i tried to gut it out but i gave up by the 13th hole, i couldnt hit anything without pain! i even put on a stretching exhibition in my cart, but it didnt work. and its a good thing nobody saw! (i hope) :idhitit: it went away after a few days though.

but anyways pali is decent, i like it because its cheap and peaceful. fairways do need alot of work though, and the greens are alright, somedays.

A friend of mines just played there the other week. He said he got 18 in after walking on at 4pm. I heard it was actually looking pretty good. My brother in law plays there every weekend...lines up for his "back nine" club. He said it's gotten better and I guess all the drainage and sprinkler system work has been completed.

I myself almost walked on at Pali today. I was hitting balls at Bay View...trying to stay out of the sun...but I guess I went to late because the sun was already on the mats. Ended up drinking two soda's and dripping all over the place. Later drove to Koolau to do some putting. I was putting so lousy I ended up staying on the green for about and hour and a half and by then it was just too late to go to Pali.

Ala Wai and Pali are probably the best deals in town if you've got some spare time on your hands and just looking to get in a round. At least they look better then Kunia/Hawaii CC. But then again, it's probably easier to hop on at Kunia then either one of those two courses.