New and Improved Shaft Chart

1222324252628»

Comments

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mcc0819 said:
    Any info on the Nippon Modus line? Specifically would like to see how the Modus 120 x and 130 x compare to the likes of PX 6.5 and X100s.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18898904#Comment_18898904

• mcc0819mcc0819 Members Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Howard Jones said:

@mcc0819 said:
    Any info on the Nippon Modus line? Specifically would like to see how the Modus 120 x and 130 x compare to the likes of PX 6.5 and X100s.

Howard, thank you! I can't seem to fully comprehend that chart and numbers. Can you briefly elaborate?

Ping G400 LST AD-DI 7x
    Callaway Rogue 3w HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5
    Taylormade m1 3 hybrid Veylix Rome 988 Wildeye
    Srixon Z765 4-pw Nippon Modus 120x
    Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 58
    Odyssey O-Works 1w

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mcc0819 said:

@Howard Jones said:

@mcc0819 said:

Howard, thank you! I can't seem to fully comprehend that chart and numbers. Can you briefly elaborate?

This should help you understand the chart.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/73753/wishon-shaft-frequency-can-be-misleading/

• Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,921 ClubWRX

@Stuart_G said:

@mcc0819 said:

@Howard Jones said:

@mcc0819 said:

This should help you understand the chart.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/73753/wishon-shaft-frequency-can-be-misleading/

Great article!

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • buckets on bucketsbuckets on buckets Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Appreciate the work here!

• rfarrell51rfarrell51 Members Posts: 1,349 ✭✭

Any frequency comparisons for Recoil graphite? Is it that much different to not include? Looking at 780 F4 or 950 F4

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
    TM M2 3 wood
    King Cobra F6 5 wood
    Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
    Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
    Mizuno T7 56
    Evnroll ER1

@rfarrell51 said:
    Any frequency comparisons for Recoil graphite? Is it that much different to not include? Looking at 780 F4 or 950 F4

its not a good way to compare shafts, thats why there is no update of the chart, but since you ask, 780 ES SMAC F4 as #5 iron has a butt CPM of 304. (i dont have any specs on 950 F4)

KBS TOUR / R flex 110 grams Tapers has 306 CPM as reference, but again, this is NOT a good way to compare different shafts.

• mesegrnmesegrn mesegrn Members Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Howard or Stuart, is it possible to have a 7 iron swing of 88mph and feel comfortable hitting a R400 iron shaft? I built a 7 iron at 1/2 inch over with a Dynamic Gold Lite R400 and it feels great. I recently had a lesson and to work on some hand flip issues and this combination helps me feel like I'm not swinging out of my shoes to get the club through the ball. Is it possible this could work? I was hitting into a net, so I didn't see the ball flight except on a computer screen.

edited Jun 5, 2019 11:35am #820

@mesegrn said:
    Howard or Stuart, is it possible to have a 7 iron swing of 88mph and feel comfortable hitting a R400 iron shaft? I built a 7 iron at 1/2 inch over with a Dynamic Gold Lite R400 and it feels great. I recently had a lesson and to work on some hand flip issues and this combination helps me feel like I'm not swinging out of my shoes to get the club through the ball. Is it possible this could work? I was hitting into a net, so I didn't see the ball flight except on a computer screen.

Certainly, very possible. Lots of different ways that the feels from the shaft can influence the swing - either for better or worse. The actual results are the only thing that really matters. Just be aware that for such "feel" based improvements, it is possible for old habits to reassert themselves as you get more used to the new feel - but not always - you just never know.

What shaft are you coming from?

edited Jun 5, 2019 12:48pm #821

I'm coming from a Project X 5.5 at standard length. The release just feels differently in my hands versus the Dynamic Gold.

@mesegrn said:
    I'm coming from a Project X 5.5 at standard length. The release just feels differently in my hands versus the Dynamic Gold.

The only thing I might suggest (if you haven't already) is play around with different weights as well as flexes. Shaft weight (and swing weight as well) can potentially have an influence on the general rhythm and tempo and release timing. Usually more so than flex.

edited Jun 5, 2019 1:15pm #823

I’m trying to stay in the 115 weight range in order to go the +1/2 inch. I think a standard 130 weight would be to heavy at that length don’t you? I have basic club building skills so trying to make it easier on myself as well I guess. Like you said, I’ll play around with some variations to see what feels and releases better.

@mesegrn said:
    I’m trying to stay in the 115 weight range in order to go the +1/2 inch. I think a standard 130 weight would be to heavy at that length don’t you? I have basic club building skills so trying to make it easier on myself as well I guess. Like you said, I’ll play around with some variations to see what feels and releases better.

Are you worried about swing weight? That's the only real potential correlation between shaft weight and length - but even then, most shafts are designed to swing weight similarly despite the change in weight. That general rule of thumb on how swing weight changes based on shaft weight changes is really completely useless and should be ignored.

edited Jun 5, 2019 6:14pm #825

I have a tendency to get quick with my tempo, maybe the extra weight of a 130 gram shaft will help smooth me out. I guess I’ve used swing weight for so long, it’s hard to ignore it.

Post edited by mesegrn on

@mesegrn said:
    I have a tendency to get quick with my tempo, maybe the extra weight of a 130 gram shaft will help smooth me out. I guess I’ve used swing weight for so long, it’s hard to ignore it.

I wasn't suggesting you ignore it. Just don't make any assumptions about what it might be based on the shaft weight.

• Always_roughAlways_rough Members Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭

I play KBS C-Tapers S+ in my irons. Over the past year, work really picked up, and the amount of golfing I've done has been almost 0. Things have finally cooled down, but I can't hit my irons to save my life anymore. When I was playing often and hitting the range, I had no problem swingin the S+ C-Tapers. Now I feel like because I've lost a bit of swing speed, they aren't the shaft for me. Should I just drop down to the S C-Taper or should I try out the C-Taper lite X? I play in windy conditions almost 90% of the time (20-30mph winds) and like to keep the ball low. If I had anywhere near my to test the two, I would, but because of where I live, I don't. Any advice is greatly appreciated as always.

Got 14 daggum golf clubs, but none of 'em hit the ball straight.

(1W) M3 440
    (3W) 917 F3
    (3i) MP-18 fli hi
    (4i-PW) JPX 900 Tour
    (52, 56, 60) SM6
    Oven B1-01
  • alexgolfsalexgolfs Members Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

This is very informative! Thank you

edited Aug 6, 2019 8:55pm #829

@Always_rough said:
    I play KBS C-Tapers S+ in my irons. Over the past year, work really picked up, and the amount of golfing I've done has been almost 0. Things have finally cooled down, but I can't hit my irons to save my life anymore. When I was playing often and hitting the range, I had no problem swingin the S+ C-Tapers. Now I feel like because I've lost a bit of swing speed, they aren't the shaft for me. Should I just drop down to the S C-Taper or should I try out the C-Taper lite X? I play in windy conditions almost 90% of the time (20-30mph winds) and like to keep the ball low. If I had anywhere near my to test the two, I would, but because of where I live, I don't. Any advice is greatly appreciated as always.

This tread is not a good one for questions like that, and your own guess-works is just as good as anyone elses, but if you do your own club making, consider soft stepping the set you have 2x.....All shafts lighter and softer with a low launch profile would fit the bill to answer your question, but how much lighter and softer, only testing can tell.

or maybe the short end is "ok"? but the mid and long the issue?. Then look into 3/8" sets, its tons of treads about them

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file