2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Adams Idea Pro a12

G.Review

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All around, it's a great iron. Good spin on the greens, good feel for chipping, and very accurate. As more of a "point-and-shoot" player, I like how straight these naturally want to fly, while giving me a smaller head and narrow top line.
My only dislike on these is the loss of yardage on thin shots (I lose about a half a club) and the fact that they want to drift right on thin shots.
BTW, the dark finish is a slam dunk! It really makes the clubs stand out, and it really looks good behind the ball.

I received these in the mail a few days ago, 4-GW with KBS Tour Stiff shafts. I have hit two buckets at the range, and played one round.

I am switching from a set of Mizuno MP60s with DG S300 shafts.
I played Callaway X-14 Pros for ten or more years.
I tried a set of Burner 2.0s earlier this year that I could never get a feel for.
I bought a cheap used set of Mizuno MP60s as a practice set from Craigslist, and ending up liking them a lot. I hit them well, and had some great rounds with them, but they absolutely punished me when I didn't put a good swing on them.
I decided I wanted a forged club, but needed something a little more forgiving than the Mizunos.
After a good bit of research, I decided to search for a good deal on a set of Adams CB2s, or a CB1/CB2 combo when I found these A12s in the GolfWRX classifieds.

The A12s are nice looking clubs. They are not the black finish like the Burner 2.0s, but a nice matte gray color. They do not seem to mark up as badly or as quickly as the TMs did.

The A12s are much easier to hit than the MP60s, especially the longer clubs. The A12s are more forgiving, but still have feel, not like the SGI irons I tried playing earlier this year. I can work the A12s. They have great feel, but do not eclipse the feel of the Mizunos. I can definitely tell where I am striking the ball on the club face with these, though. One of the things I like most about these a12s are the soles. They glide through the turf here much better than the Mizunos did.

I really like the fact that Adams offers these with great shafts and grips. That makes me feel good about the work they put into the club head.

So far I am very happy with these clubs, and hope I will be satisfied with them for years to come.

I will happily post back here if I change my mind, or have any more insight.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='teekaywhy' timestamp='1327928517' post='4177525']
[quote name='jgolf101' timestamp='1322553319' post='3865387']
Great set of Irons. Been playing them for two weeks now and have no regrets. I was playing the diablo forged and feel that the a12 was an upgrade for me.
[/quote]
Anyone know the tip sizes on this set?
[/quote]

355 taper

• 4 weeks later...

I custom ordered a set of these this winter and have about 50-60 rounds in with them so far. They are 5-PW with project-x 5.5 flighted shafts and Golf Pride New Decade grips (all upgrades from the factory for no additional price). I can't say enough about these clubs. Bear in mind that I am coming from a set of Nike Slingshot 4D game improvement irons, but already within three months I have shaved about 6 strokes off my handicap. These are easily the nicest irons I have ever gamed and am ecstatic that I get to play these. The aesthetics are top notch and might be the most forgiving forged iron in the game. I wish more people would take notice of the top level clubs that Adams Golf is making and give them a try. They are definitely a top contender in the player's irons game.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='rcubed3r' timestamp='1316625487' post='3580151']
I received these in the mail a few days ago, 4-GW with KBS Tour Stiff shafts. I have hit two buckets at the range, and played one round.

I am switching from a set of Mizuno MP60s with DG S300 shafts.
I played Callaway X-14 Pros for ten or more years.
I tried a set of Burner 2.0s earlier this year that I could never get a feel for.
I bought a cheap used set of Mizuno MP60s as a practice set from Craigslist, and ending up liking them a lot. I hit them well, and had some great rounds with them, but they absolutely punished me when I didn't put a good swing on them.
I decided I wanted a forged club, but needed something a little more forgiving than the Mizunos.
After a good bit of research, I decided to search for a good deal on a set of Adams CB2s, or a CB1/CB2 combo when I found these A12s in the GolfWRX classifieds.

The A12s are nice looking clubs. They are not the black finish like the Burner 2.0s, but a nice matte gray color. They do not seem to mark up as badly or as quickly as the TMs did.

The A12s are much easier to hit than the MP60s, especially the longer clubs. The A12s are more forgiving, but still have feel, not like the SGI irons I tried playing earlier this year. I can work the A12s. They have great feel, but do not eclipse the feel of the Mizunos. I can definitely tell where I am striking the ball on the club face with these, though. One of the things I like most about these a12s are the soles. They glide through the turf here much better than the Mizunos did.

I really like the fact that Adams offers these with great shafts and grips. That makes me feel good about the work they put into the club head.

So far I am very happy with these clubs, and hope I will be satisfied with them for years to come.

I will happily post back here if I change my mind, or have any more insight.

Ron
[/quote]

Great review, as I now play MP 60's and just ordered some A12's.

A GTO owner to boot! What year? I sold my '04 QSM last year for a TBSS

Just bought some A12's for DD Golf. Will have a review up vs. some of the other clubs I tried soon.

• 5 weeks later...

Let me start off by saying that I have been a devoted player of all things Titleist for the past 6 years and while I still have a soft spot for Titleist equipment I really wanted to try these irons because I loved the look of them. So off I went and grabbed a set and I am amazed at the quality of these irons they are truly first class!!

Looks: They have a thinish topline and not a lot of offset so looking down at them - they look like they are ready for business. The dark finish looks great, wears well and the best part is they make the heads look smaller than they really are.

Feel: This is the hard part.. it is hard to explain what a club feels like but here are my thoughts. They sort of feel like the Taylor Made RAC TP's from 2005, not super soft but not harsh either. The best part is that it is easy to tell where on the face you struck the ball.

Forgiveness: I know, I know... if you want forgiveness go to church, but honestly these clubs make playing fun! There is plenty of forgiveness to be had with these in the rare event that you mis-hit one ;) and when you want to hit a specific shot they respond nicely. high, low, draw, or fade they are all easy to accomplish with these.

Quality: I am sure that we can all agree that KBS shafts and GP NDMC grips are top of the line equipment choices so that only leaves the heads. Well the heads are great, the finish will obviously wear off a bit, but that is expected. The attention to detail is where these shine. You have to see them in person to understand!

If you are contemplating new irons don't forget to demo these.. in fact you can save yourself a lot of time and demo these first.. I'm sure you will buy them immediately.

• 4 weeks later...

My first set of "serious" irons (not K-mart specials) I recieved my freshmen year in college (about 8 years ago), the Adams A2 OS. I played for years with those clubs, a set of "SGI" irons. The first time I took my wife to the course, a chilly spring day, I shot the best round of my life (78), and promptly declared myself a player and thus needing player irons. I played a handful of blades since then (about 2.5 years) and never again broke 80. On this past thursday I traded in my TaylorMade MB's for a set of these Idea Pro A12s looking for a little more forgiveness and broke 80 twice this weekend. Pretty good stat to me. These things are forgiving AND workable. They strike an incredible balance in the transitional category developing recently: "The Game Improvement Player Iron" or as I like to call it GIPI (pronounced gippy, I'm an expert people). They aren't the most workable, and they aren't the most forgiving, but they do give you both. Incredible if you ask me, just simply a joy to play. 5/5, A++, best iron I've ever bagged (all-around).

Honma G1X 9.5*
TaylorMade SLDR S HL *17
Titleist 915h 19*
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Ping Tour-S Rustique *52, *56, and 60*
Scotty Cameron - Art of Putting Newport 34"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I still have my old set around as a backup and have contemplated selling many times. I am going to have the R300s from my current X-forged '09 irons swapped into them. I feel the Pro A12's are more forgiving than the x-forged, especially when it comes to toe hits.

Titleist 913D3 9.5* Rogue White 130 70x / Adams F11 15* Aldila VS Proto 85s

Cleveland 588h 18* Speeder 904hb / Cleveland 588h 23* Ozik Altus

Adams DHY 27* / King Cobra Forged CB 6-P Nippon Modus 120x

Mizuno T20 50s Modus 120x, SM4 55.12 / Callaway MDf 60* DG Spinner 

Odyssey O-Works Black 1WS

• 2 months later...