Ready Or Not, Tiger Woods Is Back

easyyy

With a new caddie, a rested leg, and something to prove, Tiger Woods r
Ready Or Not, Tiger Woods Is Back

With a new caddie, a rested leg, and something to prove, Tiger Woods returns to golf

Read More http://www.golfdiges...2#ixzz1TwcN7OVr

By Dave Shedloski
Photo by Matt Sullivan/Getty images August
AKRON, Ohio -- So, he returns to the circus, ready to walk the high wire again without a net, but perhaps more sure-footed, more focused, more capable of summoning the preternatural intensity that was the source of his once-indomitable golf game.

Eager for competition and healthy enough to pursue it without reservations, Tiger Woods has chosen the friendly confines of Firestone CC to begin again his pursuit of an excellence easily defined but now startlingly elusive.

Woods tees it up Thursday at Firestone's South Course in the Bridgestone Invitational, an event he has won seven times. It will mark his first competition since May 12, when he withdrew from the Players after nine undeniably miserable holes at TPC Sawgrass with injuries to his left knee and Achilles. The former No. 1 player in the world has not completed a tournament since he finished T-4 at the Masters. He has not won one since late 2009.

Related: Tiger's Major Championship Victories

"I'm here to try to win the golf tournament. That's what I'm focused on. That's it," Woods said emphatically during a press conference Tuesday morning following a nine-hole practice session. "I'm excited to compete, to play, and, hopefully, win the golf tournament."

Much has changed since Woods, following doctor's orders, assigned himself to the disabled list. He has fallen to No. 28 in the world rankings, his lowest standing since early 1997. He has drifted to 133rd on the FedEx Cup points list, currently outside the playoffs. He has parted ways with his longtime caddie, Steve Williams, who assisted in 66 PGA Tour victories, including 13 of his 14 major titles.

Dressed in black, Woods looked relaxed and fit, but trimmer. He wore prototype Nike shoes that he helped design and a shock of hair on his chin that brought a playfully sinister definition to his familiar wide, toothy smile.

But most importantly of all, he brought a healthy body.

"The great thing is I don't feel a thing. It feels solid, it feels stable, no pain," Woods, 35, said of his leg, which he injured during the third round of the Masters and aggravated at The Players. "One of the reasons why I took as long as I did to come back is that I want to get to this point where I can go ahead and start playing golf again like this. It's been a very long time, and it feels good to go out there today and hit balls like this, go practice and feel nothing and walk around and pretty much do anything I want on the golf course."

Related: How Tiger's Swing Has Changed

How long had it been since he felt this well, physically?

"Years. Years plural," he said.

As for his golf game, it remains to be seen how healthy that appears. Woods hit the ball splendidly during practice at the Players, then came apart, literally, shooting 42 for nine holes at the Stadium Course and reinjuring himself in the process. He has been chipping and putting for some time, but has only been cutting loose on full swings for the last two or three weeks.

The time away from competition, which cost him starts in the U.S. Open and Open Championship, allowed him to spend time with his two children, he said. It also gave him the itch to play again. He was almost prepared to enter last week's Greenbrier Classic, but decided to give himself one more week to heal and recalibrate with swing coach Sean Foley watching over him. It doesn't hurt that this World Golf Championship guarantees him four rounds.

If there is rust, it has not yet choked up the gear works. Thursday, when he plays the first of two rounds with good friend Darren Clarke, the Open champion, will reveal much, though.

Related: 10 Questions As Tiger Returns

"I still haven't been in a competitive environment yet, so that's a totally different atmosphere as you know," said Woods, who visited Atlanta Athletic Club Monday on a scouting trip for next week's PGA Championship. "But the shots felt very crisp, very clean. I was very pleased. My start lines were good. They were nice and tight, which was good. So everything that we've been working on we're very pleased with today, and just got to keep working at it. Tomorrow is another day to refine it and be ready to go by Thursday."

Read More http://www.golfdiges...2#ixzz1TwcD9DuW

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His swing looked great off the tee... he changed putters... I couldn't tell if it was his old scotty or a nike method model like his scotty but it wasn't the little blade mallet. He also had a GD tour ad shaft in his driver... I think that's new as well. His wedge game and pitches looked different... he seemed posted on his left leg and had no move off the ball... His overall tempo looked smooth and not rushed... It seemed like he might be laying off the throttle finally... Go get em' Tiger!!!

[quote name='bklyn_718' timestamp='1312355898' post='3446926']
[b]His swing looked great off the tee[/b]... he changed putters... I couldn't tell if it was his old scotty or a nike method model like his scotty but it wasn't the little blade mallet. He also had a GD tour ad shaft in his driver... I think that's new as well. His wedge game and pitches looked different... he seemed posted on his left leg and had no move off the ball... His overall tempo looked smooth and not rushed... It seemed like he might be laying off the throttle finally... Go get em' Tiger!!!
[/quote]
where did you see it?

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

even though im not a big fan of tiger its nice to see him back and hopfully fully fit good luck

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

So great to see him back, let's hope he returns to his winning ways soon. GO TIGER!!

Good article.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

His swing looked great off the tee... he changed putters... I couldn't tell if it was his old scotty or a nike method model like his scotty but it wasn't the little blade mallet. He also had a GD tour ad shaft in his driver... I think that's new as well. His wedge game and pitches looked different... he seemed posted on his left leg and had no move off the ball... His overall tempo looked smooth and not rushed... It seemed like he might be laying off the throttle finally... Go get em' Tiger!!!
[/quote]

Good pick up...his swing effort is down at least 15% with the Driver. Looks like he might have learned the key to avoiding injury and hitting fairways. Also, he is moving significantly left thru the ball with a considerable torso twist to the left...looks like it needs some reps to become natural.

Ping G400 MAX 10.5* w Xtorsion Copper
Ping i210 4-u, Glide 2.0 54, 58
Guerin GR3 Mallet

[quote name='seve1972' timestamp='1312372010' post='3447129']
I bet he atleast makes the cut.......:)
[/quote]
LOL!

I just see this as a tune up. If he wins, fine. If he has a Top 10, great. But just to get ready for the rest of the season, this is a good move, albeit a surprising one, to play this week and not try to play cold next week. We'll see what happens, but one thing for sure, the PGA Tour is happy! :clapping:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='MBS1726' timestamp='1312368527' post='3447063']
Glad to see him back out there! Like him or not, you have to respect his accomplishments on the course. Here's to putting 4 solid rounds together this week.:drinks:
[/quote]

I think this is well said. I'm not a fan at all, but there is no denying what he has accomplished, and there is no doubt his return will be good for the game. Here's to him winning [b]three[/b] more majors.

[quote name='Golfcat' timestamp='1312369500' post='3447073']
[/quote]

Good pick up...his swing effort is down at least 15% with the Driver. Looks like he might have learned the key to avoiding injury and hitting fairways. Also, he is moving significantly left thru the ball with a considerable torso twist to the left...looks like it needs some reps to become natural.
[/quote]

He's always looked smooth in practice. We'll have to see if it translates to competition, where it seems to ramp up.

if that's the top of his driver backswing shown in the pic above i like it, much shorter, hopefully more control for him. no doubt, love him or hate him, it will be must-see-tv this week for sure.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

[/quote]

He's using the method 001

[indent=2]Nike Vr Tour 8.5 w/ 7.2 TS Motore Speeder[/indent]
[indent=2]Nike Vr LTD 15* w/ 103 Diaman Blueboard[/indent]
[indent=2]Nike SQ 19* w/ 103 Diamana Blueboard[/indent]
[indent=2]Miura Baby Blades 3-PW w/ TI DG X1's[/indent]
[indent=2]Fourteen RM 52* & 56* w/ TI DG S4's[/indent]
[indent=2]Nike Method 001[/indent]

Even though I don't think he will do very well, it's good to see him back.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='zm231' timestamp='1312379252' post='3447391']
[/quote]

He's using the method 001
[/quote]

+1

[attachment=833376:tiger_nike_method.jpg]

[quote name='Obsessotron' timestamp='1312382155' post='3447562']
It's good to have Tiger back, I hope he does well. Those shoes are horrible though.
[/quote]
Official Nike Golf rain shoes! :D

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

I like the all black look for Tiger. It seems to convey a sort of playful black hatted villainy. The tour would be much more interesting if Tiger embraced such a role, given that so many already hate the man, while his fans would love to see him express some sort of personality-[i] [/i]really[i] any[/i] sort of personality. Couldn't hurt his market appeal, either. As the cynical Bill Hicks might say "Ohh, I see what you're doing, capitalizing on the almighty villain dollar! Bad guys are so marketable... Huuuge upside right there! Nice move."

On a serious note, it is good to hear him say he feels ready to go. I think he really is ready this time, and I sense he'll be in the winner's circle before the year is out. If his short game is sharp, he can contend anywhere.

Love him or hate him, it's exciting when he's in contention. Wishing him all the best for the rest of the season.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='bamoore07' timestamp='1312383456' post='3447641']
If his short game is sharp, he can contend anywhere.
[/quote]
That's the key. If he has ANY type of short game even remotely close to what he showed previously, he's going to contend. Wedge game and putter will show you the door faster than a semi-good full swing.