Beginning my try at duplicating Hogan's Swing

The Ben Hogan Golf Swing Project
I'm hooked!!!!!

Never thought I would put anyone above Tiger! Ben Hogan is theeeee master. Swing is magical and mesmerising. I am now taking my shot at duplicating it.

I don't want to hit the ball 300yds.
I don't want to have a hole in one (although I have had one so far in my life)
I don't want to get the latest flashy clubs/gear/shoes
At this point, I don't even want to hit the ball solidly...it doesn't even have to go straight. (Once I get the movements down, I'll work on the game and scoring)

I only want to dulicate every one of Hogans movememts.....from the waggle, to the full swing, to the stand there and watch it go.

Basically, my goal is to use mimicry and video analysis to learn the swing. No reading of Hogan books until I am finished with the project.

Many out there say it is not possible, because he had a secret.......I say there is no mechanical swing secret, just mental secrets and secret feelings.

Wish me luck!

Anthony Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq0GhA0vPwE

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck...you'll need it. The transition is off. Hogan's shaft transitions to being laid off but really doesn't get there from raising his arms too much like you do. His shaft flattens in transition...it doesn't get there flat. In other words, the arms are shallow in the BS, shaft points at or slightly inside the ball and then it flattens during transition.

Pretty good start though! I enjoyed watching you try. You got the divot right anyway! What is your ball flight like? Also, be prepared for some Haterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Good luck!

Which Hogan are you trying to emulate? Pre-secret good Hogan (1942-1946), post-secret/pre-accident Hogan ('46-'49), Post-accident to last win ('50-'59), or old man Hogan ('60's +) as his swing evolved over those time periods, IMO. Even some sub-genre's in there, IMO, like when his left knee was really messed up and he had to swing off of his right leg (around 1970-71 to who knows when).

Pick carefully!

BTW, for starters, your set-up posture needs work, doesn't look anything like Hogan, looks more like old Tiger or old Adam Scott (too straight backed/rigid with a high chin)

[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1312425905' post='3450030']
I hope you are under 5'10". Good luck!
[/quote]

@hoganfan924: I'm working towards the Hogan in the Shell Wide World of Golf videos.
I'm 5'8", 170lbs 41years old.

Thanks guys for the support.....I know i'm gonna need it. As you can see in my youtube video, I am close in some positions, but waaaaaaay far off in others. I'm breaking Hogans swing into 10 parts, or positions. After watching the Hogan swing for the past couple of weeks, and studying it, I wanted to do a video just to see how I match up with the Master. In the "Take 1" swing, as I got up to the ball, I imagined Hogans swing and what I have read about, and the thousands of videos I have seen. In my mind, this is what I think Hogan felt like while swinging. The "Take 1" swing is just my beginners baseline. Now, it's time to break each position down.

I have them as:
1. Setting the Grip/ Waggle
2. Address
3. Takeaway
4. Upswing Plane
5. At the top
6. Transition (In my opinion, this is what gives Hogan his signature. When the club ever-so-gently drops behind his shoulders, like it's playing hide and seek with the ball, then it whips around and...........BOOOOOYAAAAAAHHH!!!)
7. Downswing Plane
8. Impact
9. Follow Thru
10. Finish

I'm working on one position at a time. As I tweek it, I will take lots of notes regarding "feelings". I've been playing around with this game for the past 4 years.....and the most eyeopening lesson I have learned is that "what you feel is not real." Example, when I'm recording my swing from DTL, and my backswing is only going 3/4 of the way up; in an effort to find out my backswing range, I tell myself that I will overexagerate it, so I can get it up and around like John Daly. I take another swing and FEEL the club wrapping around my neck; I replay the tape, and the club has only moved 3mm!! In my mind, I went around my neck twice, but in reality, I did nothing. Thats why focusing on the Hogan swing position "feelings" are so important.

[quote name='grahler' timestamp='1312432039' post='3450278']
I give you about 6 months and you will realize copying Hogans swing is impossible-but good luck!

[/quote]

Lol!! Thanks grahler. I'm prepared to put in 6 months on each position! Or 6 years, or 6 lifetimes....whichever it takes lol.

LOL! To me Hogans dynamics trump his positions but if you are built like him and manage to touch his dynamics oyu could get close. To me position by position from fixed frames of video does not get at the engine. Its like trying to match a vapor trail left by a speeding jet without rocket fuel.

Five Lessons is now your new bible LOL

[quote name='IH82BOGEY' timestamp='1312463767' post='3450853']
Gutsy to try within this forum. I am looking forward to watching. To me, frames 14 and 15 are where you need to look. How does Mr. Hogan get on plane so early with right arm position at impact turining the corner so well? A lot of us haved tried and cant do it. I hope you do!!!
[/quote]

+1

You have to keep that pivot moving.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

[quote name='IH82BOGEY' timestamp='1312463767' post='3450853']
Gutsy to try within this forum. I am looking forward to watching. To me, frames 14 and 15 are where you need to look. How does Mr. Hogan get on plane so early with right arm position at impact turining the corner so well? A lot of us haved tried and cant do it. I hope you do!!!
[/quote]

Thanks for the support IH82BOGEY.

I have documented all the areas of my swing that match, and that do not match. I agree that Frames 14 and 15 are critical, but I understand exactly why I am not in the same position as Hogan, I just haven't gotten to that stage yet. Right now, I'm focusing on walking into the ball and the waggle. This may sound crazy, but I'm trying to duplicate E V E R Y movement....just as an Elvis impersonator would. The number of steps he takes to get to the ball, how many times his head turns toward the target, the exact number of waggles......all of it.

Regarding Frames 14 and 15, I am still stuck in some of my "original" swing positions, from years of repetition. When I took up the game in 2007, I always had a tendency of shanking, or making contact with the ball at the inner portion of the clubface, because if I addressed the ball with the club at the dead center, when club came back down to impact, I would consistently, and I mean CONSISTENTLY hit the same spot on the club...the inside near the hozel. I didn't convince myself that I was doing this until I caught this action on super-high speed video. So to fix this, I just compensated......moved my feet about an inch away from the ball, so now I address the ball with the toe of my club at the back/middle of ball. This gave me incredibly solid shots, because the club was now making impact at the dead center. My "moving the club out during the downswing/impact" MUST be changed in order to match Hogan.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1312396741' post='3448463']
I'm hooked!!!!!

Never thought I would put anyone above Tiger! Ben Hogan is theeeee master. Swing is magical and mesmerising. I am now taking my shot at duplicating it.

I don't want to hit the ball 300yds.
I don't want to have a hole in one (although I have had one so far in my life)
I don't want to get the latest flashy clubs/gear/shoes
At this point, I don't even want to hit the ball solidly...it doesn't even have to go straight. (Once I get the movements down, I'll work on the game and scoring)

I only want to dulicate every one of Hogans movememts.....from the waggle, to the full swing, to the stand there and watch it go.

Basically, my goal is to become a Hogan impersonator.....so when I am at the course, people will watch me tee off and say, "WHOA...did you see that.......I finally saw a guy swing it just like Hogan.....its spooky!"

Many out there say it is not possible, because he had a secret.......I say there is no mechanical swing secret, just mental secrets and secret feelings.

Wish me luck!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq0GhA0vPwE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq0GhA0vPwE[/url]
[/quote]

If you're going to copy Hogan, it should be the pre-accident one. Hogan himself didn't think the one you're copying was all that great, just the best he could do after being crippled.

I've been reading/researching all day and have had an AHHHH HHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA moment. Thanks to slicefixers video of Matt. Mainly because of the various video angles he shot of him, and the high speed camera. [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/slicefixer#p/u/28/_7ZoHaDq710"]http://www.youtube.c.../28/_7ZoHaDq710[/url]

I now understand how the extreme lag happens at the top during transition. (or ummmmm, I think I understand). Based in the rough video I have attached, Matt's lag angle is 80 degrees at the top of his backswing. This 80 degrees is not his max. It appears that his "at the top" max is actually 63 degrees. This 17 degree change is what happens during the famous Hogan levitation. I think if Matt were to get to the top and have his wrist hinged at his max (63 degrees), he would have no club levitation.

I've been trying to understand why I cannot make the club pause at the top and sit there for a second or two like Hogans and Matts.

I've concluded that its because I have already hinged my right wrist as far as it will go....which is about 80-90 degrees. Well, if I get to the top maxed at 80-90 degrees, how the heck do I expect to decrease that angle....the physics of my forearm flexibility wont allow!!! So, in order for me to create Hogan-type lag, where the club takes a nap behind the head for a second and appears to levitate, I must get to the top and ALLOW for some more hinging as I am starting the hip movement/transition, which, for me, means I should be at 65-70 degrees at the top, then during transition, hinge to my max of 80-90 degrees. This makes soooooo much sense on paper and in the classroom, but the real test will be on slow-mo video on the range with a club in my hand. Also, I watched a lot of Matt's swings in the "normal" video speed mode, but never saw what was happening at the top because it only lasts for a split second.

For all the instructors out there......is my theory possibly valid?

Gotta' give you credit for all the hard work and enthusiasm, that's for sure. The video you referenced above isn't Matt though, It's a kid named Josh. I think he was 16 (might have been 17) when that video was taken. 5'8" and 150 lbs. with 185 mph ball speed. I've seen him hit it in person several times. He's even longer than Matt, and Matt was pretty long. Quite impressive!

Your observation of course is correct as far as the lag angle decreasing in transition. I like your term "the levitating club!" As to how Slicefixer advocates doing that, it's going to be covered in his book. Supple wrists are certainly important. The TGM guys do this with a procedure called "float loading," so you might want to brush up on that concept.

It's going to be a long, hard slog for you, best of luck!

Practicing the Hogan address. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVeEbpVabXk"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CVeEbpVabXk
[/url]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVeEbpVabXk[/media]

Whew.........My neck is KILLING ME!! I am a former amateur natural bodybuilder/personal trainer and have a pretty in-depth understanding of how human kinetics work; the Hogan address dynamic goes against everything we have been taught regarding "keep the spine flat like a board, and the chin up." Maybe he had special verterbrae or something lol. Well, whatever the case, I'm sticking with it.

Will be putting in a minimum of 100 reps a day for the next week on the address position........then I'm gonna get a neck and back transplant, or find a chiropractor.

P.S. I don't smoke........that's a white golf tee in mouth that I'm puffing on lol.

Will also be working on the rest of these address positions from various Hogan events.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1312744018' post='3459429']
Practicing the Hogan address. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVeEbpVabXk"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CVeEbpVabXk[/url]

Whew.........My neck is KILLING ME!! I am a former amateur natural bodybuilder/personal trainer and have a pretty in-depth understanding of how human kinetics work; the Hogan address dynamic goes against everything we have been taught regarding "keep the spine flat like a board, and the chin up." Maybe he had special verterbrae or something lol. Well, whatever the case, I'm sticking with it.

Will be putting in a minimum of 100 reps a day for the next week on the address position........then I'm gonna get a neck and back transplant, or find a chiropractor.

P.S. I don't smoke........that's a white golf tee in mouth that I'm puffing on lol.

Will also be working on the rest of these address positions from various Hogan events.
[/quote]

My wife walked into the living room while I was practicing the address position. She stopped and stared at me with a blank look. She said "ummmmmm....why do you have a golf tee in your mouth? Is that really necessary????" I told her that I was doing all I could to match the video. It's my training device. I then told her I would be practicing this address A LOT this week, whenever I get a chance......and that I may need to put a golf club in every room of the house, even the bathroom, so when I get the urge, I can just jump up, grab a club and get into position lol. She stared at me for a few seconds, took a deep breath, shook her head, said "i think you are crazy," and walked away. I said, "this is a good kind of crazy LOLOLOLOL!!!"

Your left knee is angled out and is bent more than the right, causing a downward slant of the hips. Hogan had more right knee bend than the left. Your shoulders are too slanted - look at Hogan's - they 're more level. Assuming you get the address right and then the waggle, your first real challenge will be the BS. NO ONE and I mean no one has ever duplicated it on this forum, YouTube, or anywhere else that I've seen. And get ready for some really tough, objective criticism from the Hogan fanatics, who do not include me. You'll need the skin of a rhino in this project.

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1312751256' post='3459691']
[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1312744018' post='3459429']
Practicing the Hogan address. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVeEbpVabXk"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CVeEbpVabXk[/url]

[/quote]

My wife walked into the living room while I was practicing the address position. She stopped and stared at me with a blank look. She said "ummmmmm....why do you have a golf tee in your mouth? Is that really necessary????" I told her that I was doing all I could to match the video. It's my training device. I then told her I would be practicing this address A LOT this week, whenever I get a chance......and that I may need to put a golf club in every room of the house, even the bathroom, so when I get the urge, I can just jump up, grab a club and get into position lol. She stared at me for a few seconds, took a deep breath, shook her head, said "i think you are crazy," and walked away. I said, "this is a good kind of crazy LOLOLOLOL!!!"
[/quote]

I think your wife has a pretty good point!

My interpretation of Hogan's 5 Lessons is that he is trying to impart basic principles to the reading golfer vs trying to get the reading golfer to mimic a very specific swing (except the grip)

Everything else relates to doing things in proper order. This order leads to things happening on their own, the wrists unhinging at the right time, etc.

In the softcover on pg 114 he says:

"The basis for this progress, let me repeat, was my genuine conviction that all that is really required to play good golf is to execute properly a relatively small number of true fundamental movements."

[quote name='MizunoJoe' timestamp='1312754806' post='3459893']
Your left knee is angled out and is bent more than the right, causing a downward slant of the hips. Hogan had more right knee bend than the left. Your shoulders are too slanted - look at Hogan's - they 're more level. Assuming you get the address right and then the waggle, your first real challenge will be the BS. NO ONE and I mean no one has ever duplicated it on this forum, YouTube, or anywhere else that I've seen. And get ready for some really tough, objective criticism from the Hogan fanatics, who do not include me. You'll need the skin of a rhino in this project.
[/quote]

Thanks MizunoJoe for the assessment. Exactly the criticism/support I need. I completely understand your points on my left knee and shoulders. I'll be tweeking the details over the next few weeks or months. Just as in my "Take 1" swing video, this address vid is just my baseline. I am close on some areas, but far off on others. My plan is to post a few vids/pics each week of my progress......although I may not make any progress lol.

[quote name='danpass' timestamp='1312760965' post='3460235']
My interpretation of Hogan's 5 Lessons is that he is trying to impart basic principles to the reading golfer vs trying to get the reading golfer to mimic a very specific swing (except the grip)

Everything else relates to doing things in proper order. This order leads to things happening on their own, the wrists unhinging at the right time, etc.

In the softcover on pg 114 he says:

"The basis for this progress, let me repeat, was my genuine conviction that all that is really required to play good golf is to execute properly a relatively small number of true fundamental movements."
[/quote]

I DEFINITELY agree with you that Hogan was trying to impart basic principles. From what I've experienced this past week working on this project, he left a LOT of intricate details out of the golf bible. Right now, I could write a book on just the Hogan address, and I'm nowhere near mastering it.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1312768174' post='3460593']
You gotta hitch those pants higher to look more like Hogan.I'm surprised you missed this important point since you seem to like fine details.

The pants above the navel is very important as you can't do Hogan's pitchy elbow without the belt getting in the way.You might get some dork comments but you'll look like Hogan.
[/quote]

Where can you buy above the navel sansabelts? lol

You gotta hitch those pants higher to look more like Hogan.I'm surprised you missed this important point since you seem to like fine details.

The pants above the navel is very important as you can't do Hogan's pitchy elbow without the belt getting in the way.You might get some dork comments but you'll look like Hogan.
[/quote]

LOLOL!! Would you believe that on last Thursday, I told my wife that I need some more khaki pants and white shirts, and for the pants to be oversized , like a 36" waist (I wear a 34). She asked "for what?". I told her the 34's get in the way of my swing. (At that point, I hadn't told her about this Hogan swing project and I couldn't look her in the eye and say I wanted the 36's so I can pull my pants up to my navel the next time I go golfing). Now she's really gonna think I've lost it.....oh, I forgot....she already saw me smoking a golf tee :)

[quote name='Ben Hogan Swing Project' timestamp='1312768742' post='3460623']

[/quote]

LOLOL!! Would you believe that on last Thursday, I told my wife that I need some more khaki pants and white shirts, and for the pants to be oversized , like a 36" waist (I wear a 34). She asked "for what?". I told her the 34's get in the way of my swing. (At that point, I hadn't told her about this Hogan swing project and I couldn't look her in the eye and say I wanted the 36's so I can pull my pants up to my navel the next time I go golfing). Now she's really gonna think I've lost it.....oh, I forgot....she already saw me smoking a golf tee :)
[/quote]

Lol...the project is very interesting...keep us posted, especially the wife's comments/reactions...lol

Some objective comments...your waggle...you're moving your hands away from target, I suspect culprit is your right hand..remember Hogan said you rotate the lower part of the left arm from elbow to hands, and left hand is the controlling hand, while the right hand, Hogan said, works ALONG with the left...and remember the drawing of hands where there is a line drawn passing the base of the right palm/wrist...so, the right hand/wrist shouldn't move laterally, it is just bending..yeah, should just go along with what the left hand is doing... Also, Hogan said you do the waggle while your upper arms are connected to your upper chest...and when you do the waggle, your right elbow hits your right hip... Result is exactly that Mexico footage your copying... I like this one too where he's keeping the arms/elbows more tight to the body/chest..maybe he has no calcium deposits in his shoulders/armpits at this time...so I see this more true to 5Lessons...look at the elbows (edit: I mean, left elbow) not bending much like that Mexico footage... Good luck and all the best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9v53zFP2fE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[quote name='Staffer' timestamp='1312827846' post='3462714']
Hogans swing can not be emulated with a peg in the mouth. It has to be a cigarette. The weight difference will move your centre if weight in a subtle but very important way.
[/quote]

LOLOLLLLL!!! Thanks Staffer.

Ouch....all this laughing is making my neck and back spasm again. Darn Hogan address practice is breaking my body down......grrrrrrrrrr.

A few minutes ago as I am sitting in my office, the janitorial crew are in our facility doing their usual cleaning. The lady I've seen for the past year came into my office doing their usual dusting and vaccuming. She dusted my blinds, then started to vaccum. As she propped the duster against the wall, something drew me towards it..............I slowly got out of my chair while watching her cautiously out of the corner of my eye, then I eased over to it, unscrewed the handle from the dusty end, and hit the Hogan address position about 5 times.

She turned her vaccum off and looked at me just like my wife did lol. I screwed the handle back in, smiled at her, and sat back down. Note to self: When I get that "look" from people, must mean I am being Hoganistic.

I'm starting to get the hang of the address position and the feelings associated with its dynamics. Starting to feel natural. The neck and back pain is reducing, but is still there.

I hope she will still clean my office.

One of my playing partners asked how the project was going and who I was using as a teacher. Told him I am working on the address right now and that I have no teacher.

At this point, I only listen to my eyes. That's my secret. If someone gives me a book with a description of how to do a dance move, it will be from their perspective, from what they feel. My perspective may be totally different. I may translate what they are saying as something way off base. Plus they will surely leave out an intricate detail because to them, the detail is so much a part of a common human move, that they will expect everyone to already know of it.

If they give me a video to duplicate, I can break it down into mini moves, and just get in a mirror till I am spot on.

So my hypothesis is that I cannot duplicate hogans swing by reading the book or someone telling me how to do it. I just have to break the address onto 1 inch mini moves. Same for all the rest.

When I was into competitive bodybuilding, most of the guys were always focused on bow much they weighed and what their bodyfat percentage was. Once we stepped on stage in a competition, the judges didn't ask what our weight and bf% was, they only looked at what we had built.

The hogan videos are my #1 training aid. Without them, this project is impossible.