Membership to Club in Chicago

Comments

• rforman13rforman13 Members  103WRX Points: 63Posts: 103 Fairways
    NickC1987 wrote:

Hi Everyone - First post for me. I'm 30yrs old and live in River North. I'm looking to join somewhere within a reasonable drive (45 minutes-ish) and I'm inclined to check out Beverly first. Anyone have any advice/in's there? I believe you need to be invited by a member. Thanks a bunch.

You should take a look at Midlothian. Less than 25 mins in light traffic from RN. Great historic course. I'd be happy to help set up a prospective member round to see the course. Great deal for under 40.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • NickC1987NickC1987 Members  3WRX Points: 10Handicap: 2.8Posts: 3 Starters
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. One follow up, does anyone have any thoughts on Edgewood Valley Country Club in La Grange?
    Posted:
  • herbistankherbistank Members  1WRX Points: 0Handicap: 4.4Posts: 1

Personally, I think the south side courses are too far from the Gold Coast. I would definitely look into Exmoor Country Club in Highland Park. It's an old Donald Ross design with incredible greens. It also has tennis courts, a pool, paddle courts and a new paddle hutt. The clubhouse is spectacular as well. It's as nice a club that I've been too.

Exmoor is great, but I think non-tribe is frowned upon, if that's an issue for Martin. I could be wrong, and maybe I'm thinking of northmoor...but I freaking loved exmoor. If that's an option, it's a good one.

Westmoreland is also awesome.

Exmoor is not a Jewish club. You are right that its Northmoor you are thinking of. That said, I'm not a member but I love Exmoor. If it was a little closer to my house I would join in a second. If you want Skeet shooting in the winter plus a solid golf course I recommend checking out Sunset Ridge in Northfield.
    Posted:
    My Bag:
    Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
    3 Hybrid: TaylorMade M1 19* Matrix Altus Tour X-Stiff Shaft
    4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Rocketballz Stage 2 Tour 24*
    4-PW: TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC KBS C-Taper X-Stiff
    52* Wedge: TaylorMade EF Wedge
    56* Wedge: TaylorMade EF Wedge
    60* Wedge: TaylorMade EF Wedge
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider Si CB
    Balls: TaylorMade Tour Preferred X #13
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers  1428WRX Points: 260Handicap: 12.3Posts: 1,428 Platinum Tees
    jshel wrote:

For guys who live in the city and are willing to drive south, there are good options. Olympia Fields, Beverly and Flossmoor are the best golf courses, but there are deals other places.

I get to Chicago on a regular basis for work and family and joined Olympia as a national member. It's really good. Was at The Bev last week and I really love that place. I have only played Flossmoor once and the golf is really good.

Considering joining as a national member as well. How do you like it? Do you ever use the overnight rooms?
    Posted:
  • Matt_BucketMatt_Bucket Members  9WRX Points: 0Handicap: 2.9Posts: 9
    NickC1987 wrote:

Hi Everyone - First post for me. I'm 30yrs old and live in River North. I'm looking to join somewhere within a reasonable drive (45 minutes-ish) and I'm inclined to check out Beverly first. Anyone have any advice/in's there? I believe you need to be invited by a member. Thanks a bunch.

a friend of mine joined Ridge and I played out there with him before the end of the year this fall. Super fun old school track, members were awesome. condition was good.

itasca is also solid track now that the water issue is generally resolved thanks to the oak meadows renovations. < 2 min from my home, its off itasca train stop as well lots of city members train in and back. value wise tough to beat
    Posted:
  • geochitowngeochitown Members  2137WRX Points: 299Handicap: 14Posts: 2,137 Platinum Tees
    Have you looked at river forest cc?

Close to oak meadows
    Posted:
    Lead Tape lovingly applied - Driver through GW
    TEE XCG7 Beta +1* to 11.5* - Testing at 43" w/ Matrix 7M3 stiff/Driver stand-in Wishon 919THI 13* Matrix 7M3 at 42.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 4W 16.5* - Matrix 8M2 /5W 18* - Matrix 8M2 stiff tipped 2" at 41.75"
    OR TEE XCG7 Beta 19* H - Fujikura Fit-on Red Stiff - 85 g at 39.25"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 22*H - Diamana Thump T93 Stiff untipped at 38.75"
    TEE XCG7 Beta 25*H - Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft stiff 38.25"
    Wishon 560MC's 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length KBS Tour 105 Stiff
    Vokey SM4 52-08F
    Cleveland TA588 57-10 (bent to 56*, so 9* bounce)
    Vokey SM5 60-07S  
    SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0
    OR Bastain Milled BM-007 Prototype 371g at 33"

Advertisement
  • JerryamanningJerryamanning Members  6WRX Points: 5Handicap: 10Posts: 6 Bunkers
    Hi There,

For those looking for a private club close to downtown, check out Riverside Golf Club. It’s 10 miles west of the loop and just completed renovations to the course, pool, and clubhouse. PM me if you would like more details.

archscot wrote:

BUMP!!

Moved to Chicago last September got settled and now looking for a club.

Live in the nw part of the city and have read the forum...sounds like a few good clubs in the south.

But just google mapped Flossmoor and Idlewild and its over an hour.

Don't mind a drive but would prefer shorter than an hour.

What about any good courses/deals west or north?

Not a junior so can't get those deals and really don't want to drop $100k.

Appreciate any input.
    Posted:
  • AstiwaldAstiwald Members  11WRX Points: 10Handicap: 12Posts: 11 Bunkers
    NickC1987 wrote:

a friend of mine joined Ridge and I played out there with him before the end of the year this fall. Super fun old school track, members were awesome. condition was good.

itasca is also solid track now that the water issue is generally resolved thanks to the oak meadows renovations. < 2 min from my home, its off itasca train stop as well lots of city members train in and back. value wise tough to beat

Anyone have updated pricing on Itasca now that it’s under new ownership?
    Posted:
  • CRDuffy21CRDuffy21 Members  16WRX Points: 38Handicap: 3Posts: 16 Bunkers
    NickC1987 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. One follow up, does anyone have any thoughts on Edgewood Valley Country Club in La Grange?

What would you like to know about it? You can PM me if you'd like, or feel free to ask away. Happy to help!
    Posted:
  • BG5BG5 Members  1163WRX Points: 127Posts: 1,163 Platinum Tees
    Hi Guys,

Wanted some info on Lost Dunes and Dunes Club. I know they are a ways out of city but want to get personal opinions on each course and the atmosphere at both places. If anyone has some info feel free to share or PM me.

Thanks
    Posted:
    Ping K15 Driver - 10.5*
    Ping K15 3 Wood 16* & 5 Wood 19*
    Ping Karsten Hybrids 19* 22* 25*
    Ping Karsten Irons 6-PW
    Ping Karsten Wedges 51* 55*
    Ping Scottsdale Greyhawk TR Putter
    WITB Link
  • SpeedKills7SpeedKills7 Members  77WRX Points: 31Handicap: 17Posts: 77 Fairways
    BG5 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Wanted some info on Lost Dunes and Dunes Club. I know they are a ways out of city but want to get personal opinions on each course and the atmosphere at both places. If anyone has some info feel free to share or PM me.

Thanks

Lost Dunes was awesome. Great course and a cool atmosphere. We stayed overnight in one of the cabins which was a cool experience.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • tjl1292tjl1292 Members  4WRX Points: 0Posts: 4
    Do any of the clubs offer summer memberships like the NYC clubs do?

TL
    Posted:
  • WindyCitySPNWindyCitySPN Members  956WRX Points: 57Posts: 956 Golden Tee
    BG5 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Lost Dunes is pretty awesome and not a bad drive from the city. Also, they have a heli pad set up in front of the clubhouse for trips from the city haha.
    Posted:
  • SnerksSnerks Members  1WRX Points: 0Posts: 1
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • wheresmydriverwheresmydriver Members  6WRX Points: 15Handicap: 20Posts: 6 Bunkers
    Seems like this thread keeps chugging even with the delays so I'll bump it again..

30s living in Wicker Park considering a club. Find myself playing Indian Boundry, Meadows Blue Island, and Harborside more than I care to admit - but they're so close.

Ridge, Beverly, Riverside, Oak Park, Ridgemoor, Bryn Mawr, Heron Creek look to be the best options based on proximity.

Anyone have details on fees and dues or the scene at these places? It would be great to find a crowd in a similar demographic. I passed on expensive (~$10k+) memberships a couple years back and I'd prefer to stay on the lower end of initiation and dues. A pool and gym would be ideal, but realize that may only come at the higher buy in.

Thanks for any help!
    Posted:
  • Cubsfan44Cubsfan44 Members  2WRX Points: 25Posts: 2 Starters
    I would include Flossmoor CC. Hghly rated course with a solid contingent of young members from the city.

PM if you'd like more details
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ShrinerShriner Members  170WRX Points: 83Posts: 170 Fairways
    Played Flossmoor last year as a guest. I could play that course everyday and not get tired of it. Gorgeous course with a unique clubhouse.
    Posted:
  • Soxfan21Soxfan21 Chicago South SuburbsMembers  296WRX Points: 47Handicap: 4.5Posts: 296 Greens
    I’d also include Idlewild and Calumet CC. If you want info on Idlewild, let me know.
    Posted:
    In The Bag:

Epic Sub Zero 65 Gram Fujikura Pro
    Epic Sub Zero 80 Gram Aldila rogue
    816 H1 21 degree Motore Speeder 8.8
    716 AP 2 4-PW TT DG AMT S400
    SM6 50, 54, 58 Wedges
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0

Seems like this thread keeps chugging even with the delays so I'll bump it again..

30s living in Wicker Park considering a club. Find myself playing Indian Boundry, Meadows Blue Island, and Harborside more than I care to admit - but they're so close.

Ridge, Beverly, Riverside, Oak Park, Ridgemoor, Bryn Mawr, Heron Creek look to be the best options based on proximity.

Anyone have details on fees and dues or the scene at these places? It would be great to find a crowd in a similar demographic. I passed on expensive (~$10k+) memberships a couple years back and I'd prefer to stay on the lower end of initiation and dues. A pool and gym would be ideal, but realize that may only come at the higher buy in.

Thanks for any help!
    It is a lot about what you are looking for out of a course. Beverly is a solid golf club. they took out the pool, ridge doesn't have a driving range. North courses will require a larger initiation fee than south side courses. If you are looking under a 10k initiation fee Beverly, Riverside, Ridgemoor, and Bryn Mawr would probably be out. As people mentioned earlier if you are willing to drive a few more miles south the prices drop.
    Posted:
  • DrWalterWhiteDrWalterWhite Members  12WRX Points: 22Posts: 12 Bunkers
    Shradersr wrote:

Thanks for any help!
    It is a lot about what you are looking for out of a course. Beverly is a solid golf club. they took out the pool, ridge doesn't have a driving range. North courses will require a larger initiation fee than south side courses. If you are looking under a 10k initiation fee Beverly, Riverside, Ridgemoor, and Bryn Mawr would probably be out. As people mentioned earlier if you are willing to drive a few more miles south the prices drop.

Anyone have fee info on Oak Park? We just moved to the area and were considering that and Riverside. PM if necessary.
    Posted:
  • matt70286matt70286 Members  389WRX Points: 97Handicap: 3Posts: 389 Greens
    I looked into Ridgemoor but felt it was a bit steep for the under 40 Associate membership (no discounts on initiation), especially considering a lot of the South suburb clubs were offering very accommodative initiation fee packages, Flossmoor had a deal that was tough to beat given the quality of the course and greens. I hear Olympia Fields is also offering a decent package for new members. Not sure what’s going on with Calumet but heard rumors it was being bought by either Fedex or Amazon (could be unfounded but he rumor mill is always interesting).
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
    Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
    TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
    Evnroll ER2

Advertisement
  • TadWPJTadWPJ Unregistered  292WRX Points: 2Handicap: 6Posts: 292 Bunkers
    Shriner wrote:

Played Flossmoor last year as a guest. I could play that course everyday and not get tired of it. Gorgeous course with a unique clubhouse.

Shocked more 40 and under aren't members. Could easily see it in my top 5 in Chicago and I prefer it to Old Elm. A friend of mine was an Olympia member and the day he played Floss, he quit OF and joined Flossmoor.
    Posted:
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers  1428WRX Points: 260Handicap: 12.3Posts: 1,428 Platinum Tees
    TadWPJ wrote:
    Shriner wrote:

Shocked more 40 and under aren't members. Could easily see it in my top 5 in Chicago and I prefer it to Old Elm. A friend of mine was an Olympia member and the day he played Floss, he quit OF and joined Flossmoor.

Really? Perhaps he didn’t quit Olympia fields but simply joined another private?

Hard to see giving up the initiation at OF which I don’t think is refundable.
    Posted:
  • TadWPJTadWPJ Unregistered  292WRX Points: 2Handicap: 6Posts: 292 Bunkers
    Schley wrote:

TadWPJ wrote:
    Shriner wrote:

Really? Perhaps he didn’t quit Olympia fields but simply joined another private?

Hard to see giving up the initiation at OF which I don’t think is refundable.

Nope, he did quit and joined that day. I'm sure the initiation was much lower 5 years ago or next to nothing for under 40. I'm curious if those steel tariffs are going to revive the South side clubs.
    Posted:
  • wheresmydriverwheresmydriver Members  6WRX Points: 15Handicap: 20Posts: 6 Bunkers
    Do any clubs have gyms or fitness centers aside from tennis and pool facilities? This seems like a no brainer but apparently not on anyone’s radar.
    Posted:
    Ridge has a small fitness room. No brainier is all relative. The more amenities the higher the $$ amount.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • krzeczowskimattkrzeczowskimatt Members  107WRX Points: 0Handicap: 6Posts: 107
    Crystal Tree has a great pool, gym and tennis courts. It is a little farther out from the city than Ridge, but in my opinion has much better facilities including a driving range. I grew up on Ridge as a kid it is a great track but not having a driving range stinks!
    Posted:
  • Duncan8190Duncan8190 Members  15WRX Points: 35Posts: 15 Bunkers
    Anyone have any info on La Grange Country Club? My wife & I just moved to the area and I'm intrigued due to the close proximity to our house.
    Posted:
  • tmw1582tmw1582 Members  70WRX Points: 43Handicap: 10.3Posts: 70 Bunkers

Crystal Tree has a great pool, gym and tennis courts. It is a little farther out from the city than Ridge, but in my opinion has much better facilities including a driving range. I grew up on Ridge as a kid it is a great track but not having a driving range stinks!
    I'm a social member at Crystal Tree and I have to agree except for the gym. The gym is fine but nothing special. The pool is top notch though. We are there multiple times per week. It is great for young families. You can stand in the pool with a drink and socialize while the kiddos swim. Can't beat that IMO.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • The-HawkThe-Hawk Members  5WRX Points: 45Posts: 5 Bunkers
    Does anyone have any info on Itasca CC? I’ve heard it’s a pretty solid value for the track. My options of clubs close in proximity are Itasca and Medinah. I’ve played Medinah enough to know when you want to get out for a quick 18 it’s impossible to do so. Also open to other suggestions that aren’t too far away. If distance wasn’t an issue I’d join Black Sheep as they have a killer deal right now.

Thanks!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.