RORY UPDATE

Steve Hennessey ·  
Steve HennesseySteve Hennessey  120WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 120
U.S. Open champ Rory McIlroy answered the bell this morning at Atlanta Athletic Club, showing up to the range with tape extending from his right elbow to his fingers.

Injured wrist and all, McIlroy is out on the course playing his second round after breaking his 7-iron on a [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2011/08/atlanta-acs-newest-attraction-rorys-root.html"]tree root on the third hole yesterday[/url].

Read Dave Kindred's take on Rory this morning. Can the Northern Irishman still contend with an injured arm? He's currently even through five holes.

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2011/08/his-wrist-in-a-wrap-mcilroy-shows-up-for-work.html"]His wrist in a wrap, McIlroy shows up for work[/url]

----
Posted:

Comments

• mav52mav52  321WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 321
    Hope the kid does well.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Frankie Lob WedgeFrankie Lob Wedge Charlie  2779WRX Points: 0Banned Posts: 2,779
    I hope he had a doctor look at his wrist and that he got an x-ray or something. I hope other golfers think twice about those shots.
    Posted:
  • Steve HennesseySteve Hennessey  120WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 120
    Good call, Frankie - Rory actually did have an MRI on his wrist last night, which revealed no structural damage. Doctors diagnosed it as a strained tendon in his right wrist.

But on a similar shot next time, I'm sure he would take a less aggressive play. I'm sure he considers himself pretty lucky to have not injured himself worse.

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2011/08/co-stars-in-the-mcilroy-wrist-drama-a-damaged-7-iron-and-a-n.html"]Co-stars in the McIlroy wrist drama: a damaged 7-iron, and a new one[/url]

---
    Posted:
  • Wood511Wood511  331WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 331
    I still can't believe he even attempted the shot. Roots are some of the worst possible things in your lie and can end careers.
    Posted:
  • PondyPondy Sanibel Island, FL  2496WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2,496
    I like the lad... Anyone know if he will be able to tee it up on Saturday?
    Posted:
    Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
    Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
    5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
    Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
    Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
    Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
    Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
    Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
    Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
    Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
    Handicap 27.1
  • abcabc  899WRX Points: 0Banned Posts: 899
    Given how invulnerable young people think they are, it's amazing how many actually live long enough to learn from their foolish ways.

Of course, there are some who don't make it.

Rory was incredibly lucky not to have ended his promising career yesterday with the foolish decision he made.

There are some who blamed the caddie for not interceding. At the end of the day, the player is the one who makes the final decision and must ultimately bear the responsibility for his choice.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • moonshinemoonshine 64 @ Augusta? No problem! North Charleston, SC 6376WRX Points: 173Handicap: 2.4ClubWRX Posts: 6,376 Titanium Tees
    If I were his caddie, "what are you smokin' while golfing?" would have been my question. Dumbest attempt I have seen in a long time!
    Posted:
    "We have learned that we must
    live as men, not as ostriches, nor
    as dogs in the manger." FDR
  • Frankie Lob WedgeFrankie Lob Wedge Charlie  2779WRX Points: 0Banned Posts: 2,779
    abc wrote:

Given how invulnerable young people think they are, it's amazing how many actually live long enough to learn from their foolish ways.

Of course, there are some who don't make it.

Rory was incredibly lucky not to have ended his promising career yesterday with the foolish decision he made.

There are some who blamed the caddie for not interceding. At the end of the day, the player is the one who makes the final decision and must ultimately bear the responsibility for his choice.

Everyone once and a while I may end up by roots. i am pretty mediocre but I know not to even try.

If you try to hit anything - use a hybrid or five wood to try to bump it back into play. An iron will catch the root.

I am glad he is okay. Kind of weird but since the 3 N Ire Mouseketeers won their majors they have had some rougher times.
    Posted:
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey  6083WRX Points: 435Members Posts: 6,083 Titanium Tees
    It's good to hear he is not injured. He isn't in contention but maybe he can bounce back the next time he plays.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.