How many companies make golf balls?

glengolfer

In a response in another thread a question about how many companies are actually making their own golf balls came up. I thought that I knew but in fact I really don't have any facts. If someone does know maybe everyone would like to be enlightened as to who is actually making the ball they are so in love with or not.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1313444754' post='3489353']
Why does it matter. If you like a Nike Super-Dooper Soft Distance and it turns out to be made by Bridgestone, do you suddenly like it less? It's the logo you're paying for, not the factory!
[/quote]No there was a question as to whether Callaways were made by Bridgestone and my contention was that they were in fact made by Topflite or better yet by the Spalding company that was purchased by Callaway. I was being told that only Bridgestone, Srixon and Acushnet actually make balls any more. So it matters from a curiousity point of view and I'm trying to make a point. I don't give a damn from a playing aspect as I play gamers much to the amusement of some of my playing partners. So do you know or not? And does everybody on this board have to tripping on their tampon strings?

Callaway famously spent a bloody fortune going into the golf ball manufacturing business in a very big way about 10-15 years ago. They wanted to take on Titleist but never got remotely that kind of market share. Later they bought Top-Flite in order to utilize some of the Top-Flite patents and IIRC some Top-Flite manufacturing capacity for lower end balls. Initially Callaway was going to participate only in the Urethane high-end stuff (once again, assuming I remember correctly).

Never any relation between Bridgestone and Callaway as far as I know.

These internet forums always have someone "informing" anyone who will listen about some theory that all the golf balls are made by one or two factories (or three). At the low end a lot of the 15-for-$20 range of balls are made overseas in newish factories that have sprung up on the last decade or so. There's a lot of sources for golf balls, after all it's a huge, huge business worldwide.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1313455960' post='3490083']
Callaway famously spent a bloody fortune going into the golf ball manufacturing business in a very big way about 10-15 years ago. They wanted to take on Titleist but never got remotely that kind of market share. Later they bought Top-Flite in order to utilize some of the Top-Flite patents and IIRC some Top-Flite manufacturing capacity for lower end balls. Initially Callaway was going to participate only in the Urethane high-end stuff (once again, assuming I remember correctly).

These internet forums always have someone "informing" anyone who will listen about some theory that all the golf balls are made by one or two factories (or three). At the low end a lot of the 15-for-$20 range of balls are made overseas in newish factories that have sprung up on the last decade or so. There's a lot of sources for golf balls, after all it's a huge, huge business worldwide.
[/quote]
Thank you. Not to get into the whole argument from the other thread but I had mentioned seeing a Bridgestone commercial touting dimple in dimple design and that it was a direct ripoff of a topflite dimple pattern. I'm leaving a lot out but it was inferred that this was probably alright because Bridgestone in fact made Callaways balls (yes I also saw that he was making some of my agument for me) . I thought this was incorrect so I came to this forum as I assumed someone on here would be able to set us straight one way or the other. So thanx again, it's two to one in my favor.

[quote name='haimigolf' timestamp='1313483347' post='3491064']
Callaway famously spent a bloody fortune going into the golf ball manufacturing business in a very big way about 10-15 years ago.
[/quote]

$170 mil for R&D and to set up their own production facility in the late 90's and then ended up buying Spaulding Golf out of bankruptcy in 2003 for $169 mil.

[quote name='glengolfer' timestamp='1313458273' post='3490222']
[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1313455960' post='3490083']

[/quote]
Thank you. Not to get into the whole argument from the other thread but I had mentioned seeing a Bridgestone commercial touting dimple in dimple design and that it was a direct ripoff of a topflite dimple pattern. I'm leaving a lot out but it was inferred that this was probably alright because Bridgestone in fact made Callaways balls (yes I also saw that he was making some of my agument for me) . I thought this was incorrect so I came to this forum as I assumed someone on here would be able to set us straight one way or the other. So thanx again, it's two to one in my favor.
[/quote]

I believe Bridgestone had dual dimple balls under the Precept name dating all the way back to the mid 80's which was long before Top Flite's d2's came out.

Every golf ball on earth could be made in the same factory, but that factory is producing balls to the specs of the original designer/company. Where they are made, or who actually owns the factory, makes virtually no difference.

I don't know if anybody is a guitarist here, but as an example, Ibanez guitars is a huge, well respected Japanese guitar company that has built some amazing product for decades. They did not own a single factory of their own up until last year.

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1313509870' post='3491918']

I believe Bridgestone had dual dimple balls under the Precept name dating all the way back to the mid 80's which was long before Top Flite's d2's came out.
[/quote]
Exactly I was was "the guy" to which the OP was referring.Don't recall claiming that Callaway balls were made by Bridgestone. However I did say they made Nikes and that there are only 3 companies that I know of that produce golf balls. Sumitomo Rubber, Bridgestone and Acushnet. Didn't think that Callaway bought the Spalding ball facility -was it even operating?- thinking they were only interested in the patents.

On a side unrelated note, Callaway dropped the ball when they phased out the Ben Hogan brand. With the historic name and heralded forged irons, they had a prime opportunity to continue the heritage, but decided not to...

Yeah, it will be my ball this fall and winter once my stash of two dozen DT Solo are used up. Which may not take long if I keep playing my Callaway wedges. A couple of bunker shots and two or three full swings with the Jaws MD grooves and they're off to the shag bag. The Diablo Tour looks pretty bad after a full round but no problem getting at least that much out of one.

For me the biggest advantage of the DT Solo is it's dirt cheap in the pro shop at our club. The biggest downside is every mother's son out on our course plays either a Titleist or a Bridgestone ball. Always nice to tee up a Callaway and know if you see one during the next 18 holes is dead certain to be your own. Worth the extra fifty cents a ball right there!

Thanks everyone for the solid input. I would have believed that there were more closely affiliated companies sharing facilities and that making balls for competitors would be frowned upon. So much for closely guarded manufactoring secrets. The Bridgestone/Callaway partnership was indeed mentioned as that is what I found questionable.

There's only so many ways you can make a golf ball. Few design features are truly trade secrets, it's too small a field and the parameters too well understood by the engineers involved where ever they are. The most important element is choosing the materials and the process by which each part of the ball is formed. The materials all come from a very short list of plastics supplied by a very small number of sources and the machinery is largely standardized and well established.

There is much more brand differentiation than ball differentiation if you get my meaning. A ball that says "Bridgestone" and one that says "Nike" are different because they say "Bridgestone" and "Nike" to a far greater degree than they are different because one uses Unobtainium and the other Unpronouncium in their cores...

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1313515060' post='3492213']
[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1313509870' post='3491918']
[/quote]
Exactly I was was "the guy" to which the OP was referring.Don't recall claiming that Callaway balls were made by Bridgestone. However I did say they made Nikes and that there are only 3 companies that I know of that produce golf balls. Sumitomo Rubber, Bridgestone and Acushnet. Didn't think that Callaway bought the Spalding ball facility -was it even operating?- thinking they were only interested in the patents.

On a side unrelated note, Callaway dropped the ball when they phased out the Ben Hogan brand. With the historic name and heralded forged irons, they had a prime opportunity to continue the heritage, but decided not to...
[/quote]

The patents and brand names only would not have cost $170 mil. Callaway purchased all of Spaulding Golf's assets including their production facilities in NY and MA. In the past few years they have closed and Callaway is currently in the process of moving all production to Mexico. The point is that Callaway does produce their own balls.

Keep in mind that companies do not generally build factories in China they simply outsource manufacturing to production companies that already exist. It is very common to have several different brands made in the same factory using the same equipment.

As for Hogan, who cares about heritage when you are losing money? Hogan was already losing Spaulding Golf money before Callaway purchased it and it just got worse from there. The only thing Callaway dropped the ball on was keeping the brand for so long and not selling it when it had value. There is a reason that no major golf company supports multiple club brands anymore.

Lastly, do we know for a fact that Bridgestone still produces Nike balls? I was at GG today and noticed that all Nike balls are produced in Taiwan and that all Bridestone balls are produced in either Japan or China.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't believe that Bridgestone makes Nike balls anymore. At least that is what I though my Bridgestone rep told me a few months ago.

What in the Bag
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Driver HZRDUS X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w HZRDUS X
Callaway Rogue 5w HZRDUS X
Callaway X Forged 4-7 KBS Tour C-Taper X shafts
Callaway Apex MB 8-PW KBS Tour C-Taper X shafts
Engage 52, 56 and 60 Wedge KBS Tour C Taper X
Nike Method 001

[quote name='golfbum9' timestamp='1313515060' post='3492213']

[/quote]

The Ben Hogan brand was already dead when Callaway bought it. If so many were interested in continuing the heritage they would have bought the products. They didn't.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

You guys make fair points. Maybe it's mere nostalgia but you're right, the Hogan name lost it's luster and was struggling- after GI lines were introduced then lastly the BH-5 (x-14)...
Particularly those who played Hogan forged would played a forging with the Hogan name long before one with the Callaway name and were passed over by many for that very reason. The '07 X Forged were/ are great irons, but would have taken off [b]right[/b] away, instead of gaining a cult like status- eventually. in my opinion

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1313530548' post='3493181']

Lastly, do we know for a fact that Bridgestone still produces Nike balls? I was at GG today and noticed that all Nike balls are produced in Taiwan and that all Bridestone balls are produced in either Japan or China.
[/quote]

I heard this rumor as well, while i do not have any "facts" that state this, here is what i do know. Bridgestone used to manufactur the premium Nike balls and the lower end stuff was outsourced to China.

Bridgestone: ball plant in Covington, GA, and Japan...possibly more

Sumitomo: Kobe, Japan and Taiwan ball plants

Titliest: Fairhaven, MA

Callaway/Top Flight: Dont know where exactly the plant is, but they do make their own product. With their current trend of outsourcing who knows where this will end up if it currently is in the US.

Taylor Made: Im not 100% sure where these are made, but when they owned Maxfi the acquired a ball plant in Greenville, SC, I would assume they still make their balls there.

Nike: Do not know where they are made now, but if someone says they are now made in Taiwan..see above who has a plant in Taiwan (just a guess, cannot confirm)

Wilson: Had a plant in Humbolt, TN, but closed it in 2007 and outsourced to China.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

• 2 years later...

Hello gents! New here, and have been following the Golf Ball thread. I have been wondering who makes what and how many TRUE makers there are.
Here's one for you.......I met a guy who suggested I try a ball that....according to the site......tests exactly like the Pro V. So, I tried it! Well, it does play the same and in my opinion....flies like the X and bites like the 1. It is called...MG C4. That would be Master Grip. These guys make gloves, and other related products, but gloves were their main make for years. Just google them, see what you think and let us know your find. I , of course, will do mine.
Just to give some slight cred to my testing....I'm a decent player....4.8..so I can actually tell what it does feel and perform like.
fred z

be honest..it's your responsibility