Talamonti H85 R New Hybrid Shaft Review

jabrchjabrch Members Posts: 3,915
In an Adams Super Hybrid 15 replacing an Aldila VS Proto R
Ok - So I am an unabashed supporter of Talamonti Shafts...I have reshafted my F11 Driver and 3W with them, and I had two of his older generation hybrid shafts in my closet - but didn't want to pull my MRC Thump from my SuperHybrid 19 or my C.Kua from the mashie. However, recently I won a new Hybrid shaft from Phil - and decided to replace my Aldila NVS Proto.

First observation - the color of the shaft is LOUD. I like it - but that yellow is loud. I think most people don't care about the color of their shafts. I like it - but I wonder if it is going to scare off some players? Not sure - It may draw as many as it pushes away - and that number may be small. After all - performance should be more important than color.

product_img_10_150x600.jpg

So I brought it to my guy at Golfsmith and had him install it. As always - nice job. A little hitch in that his assistant grabbed it and didn't follow the alignment dots - but no big deal.

So prior to the reshaft, I had the Aldila NVS Proto R shaft . I liked the performance of the club, but I had a tendency to lose it to the left a bit, and wasn't necesarily getting the nice soft drop out of the sky and stick on the green result that I hoped for from a hybrid as compared to a FW wood. I was hoping this shaft, a mid/high launch shaft with low spin would get me the same or better feel that I get from my Thump in the 19 degree SH. With the old shaft, I expected about 225 yards from this club.

I took it out to the range and, after warming up, took a few easy swings. I could feel a bit more stability through the club. I have a mid 90s SS with my driver, so I am between a R and a S flex. I like playing Rs, I get more distance from them, but need a relatively stout R or I start to lose consistency and have wider dispersion. The shaft feels extremely stable. So after a few easy warmup swings, I started to get more aggressive... I was really pleased. The shaft felt to me like it was loading extremely well, and that when I let it go, it flew through the impact zone with more speed and power than my old shaft. After a few swings, I really understood why Phil was so excited about this new shaft. I was getting about 235 from it - but nearly every shot was within a 15 yard radius of my target. For me - that's really good. I tend to spray it a bit - and really tend to lose it left with my hybrids.

I took about 20 swings at full go. Really liked what I saw. The shaft feels good. It performs consistently. Certainly well worth the $75 it costs. It comes in a 85 and a 100 gram model - I don't carry the SS for the big boy version - but a lot of guys here do.

Now my problem - I have two of his older generation hyrbid shafts sitting in my closet and nothing to do with them....

BST? or really expensive alignment sticks? :-)
Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Comments

• phizzy30phizzy30 Members Posts: 2,330
    Good review bro. I've always wondered about the Talamonti shafts. How is dispersion compared to your Thump? Feel? I would just sell your older gen models on BST. I'm sure somebody would pick them up.
    Tour issue R1 v2 w/matrix hdz-70x
    Tour issue Rzr Hawk 15* fuji-105x proto
    Deep face TM proto 16*, 20*, mrc thump x
    Vega VDC-01 Recoil proto 125 F5
    Scratch 54*/Miura 58* c-taper S+
    2008 Scotty Cameron Button Back
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 Members Posts: 2,767 ✭✭
    Review is almost spot on for my experience....I got the Stiff shaft....

The dispersion is so tight...it makes me seem like a genius golfer! HA!

It is longer, straighter and a perfect flight. I tipped mine 1.5 inches btw.

I could not be happier....I love the graphics!
  • SabakaSabaka Members Posts: 747
    Can anyone compare this newer model to the older model? Anyone played both?
    There was no older model of the Hybrid shaft...this is his first.

If you are talking about the driver shaft, then they were stiffened up a bit from the mid section down through the tip and torque was reduced. The original version was softer and players with a higher SS could fell the difference.

The shafts feel more stable and feels more true to stiff.
  • RookieBlue7RookieBlue7 Members Posts: 13,157 ✭✭
    edited Aug 20, 2011 #6
    I got the H100x and it's a monster in my Rescue11. I tipped it per Phil's recommendation and installed it in the sleeve I bought from Will (those sleeves appear to taper a tad at the bottom, which to me is strange for a parallel tip size, but I did have to turn the bottom 3/16" on the shaft down just a tad to get it to fully seat). For me, the club is now simply point and shoot. The shaft is VERY stable and launches like a rocket.

I, too, now have Talamonti shafts in the entire top end of my bag. PD70 v1 in the driver, PD80 v2 in the 3 wood and H100 in the hybrid. All are x flex and are launch pads for me.

Here are all 3 shafts:

5044f852.jpg

And the H100 when looking down the from the grip in the Rescue11:

9466135a.jpg

There's all at STD in the R11 driver and 3 wood along with the Rescue11.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • jabrchjabrch Members Posts: 3,915
    phizzy30 wrote:

Good review bro. I've always wondered about the Talamonti shafts. How is dispersion compared to your Thump? Feel? I would just sell your older gen models on BST. I'm sure somebody would pick them up.

I love my Thump. I'd say they are very similar. The only difference is about $125.
    Ping G30 Tour 65
    Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
    Vokey 60 degree
    STX Putter

There was no older model of the Hybrid shaft...this is his first.

If you are talking about the driver shaft, then they were stiffened up a bit from the mid section down through the tip and torque was reduced. The original version was softer and players with a higher SS could fell the difference.

The shafts feel more stable and feels more true to stiff.

It was his FW/Hybrid shafts....wasn't just for the hybrids...but yeah - you know what I mean.
    Ping G30 Tour 65
    Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
    Vokey 60 degree
    STX Putter
    Blue - I'd have gone with the 100 if I were a faster swinger - but at my fastest I get into the high 90s....the H85 is great for me.
    Ping G30 Tour 65
    Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
    Vokey 60 degree
    STX Putter
    jabrch wrote:

Blue - I'd have gone with the 100 if I were a faster swinger - but at my fastest I get into the high 90s....the H85 is great for me.

Yeah, I understand. Just giving info on the H100 also. He doesn't make the 100 in R and doesn't make the 85 in X.
    Right....

The two I have sitting in my basement that I likely will be selling are the Original PD80 in R flex.
    Ping G30 Tour 65
    Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
    Vokey 60 degree
    STX Putter
  • I will be playing talamonti in driver, 3wood and hybrid like Rookie soon! New version of both PD70x and PD80x. PD70 in either 9015d or r510TP - PD80 in r9 TP 3wood and finally the H100x in my 09 rescue TP. Can't wait to try these shafts!
    Phil makes some great stuff, services his customers even better, and prices his gear fairly. Great operation.
    Ping G30 Tour 65
    Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
    Vokey 60 degree
    STX Putter
  • svssvs Members Posts: 818
    jabrch wrote:

Phil makes some great stuff, services his customers even better, and prices his gear fairly. Great operation.

+1

Placed an order today and Phil was quick to answer my emails. Very helpful as well!

Also, I came across there Facebook page online during a search and he seems to be running a top notch operation with Talamonti Shaft's!
  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,310 ✭✭

Yeah, I understand. Just giving info on the H100 also. He doesn't make the 100 in R and doesn't make the 85 in X.

He makes the 85 in "X"....he doesn't make it in "Tour X".
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
    So an update: Been playing my 85S Talamonti with a R11 head. All I can say is wow....what a great club.

I am using it to tee off more than I am my other clubs now. I am getting about 240 off the tee where as with the stock shaft I was pretty much around 225...so I say it has been about a 15 yard gain. What is the best though is how tight the dispersion is now....the ball almost never strays offline....even with my not so perfect swing!

I love the color combo with the R11 head and just love the overall feel. I have a WINN PCI Hybrid grip on there which finishes off the combo...

Highly recommended for hybrid users.
  • svssvs Members Posts: 818
    I got my Talamonti H-85 Hybrid shaft last week but haven't decided which club to use it with?

-Recue 11

-TEE XCG-4

-Nike VR Pro
    svs wrote:

I got my Talamonti H-85 Hybrid shaft last week but haven't decided which club to use it with?

-Recue 11

-TEE XCG-4

-Nike VR Pro

Works great in the rescue11 for me.
  • skralyskraly ClubWRX Posts: 1,526 ClubWRX

svs wrote:

-Recue 11

-TEE XCG-4

-Nike VR Pro

Works great in the rescue11 for me.

Reviving an older post. How do you think this shaft would work in a driving iron, something like the Taylormade or Tiltleist driving irons? Thanks.