We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Stricker: I want Tiger

Steve Hennessey ·  
Steve HennesseySteve Hennessey  120Members Posts: 120
Steve Stricker went undefeated in the '09 Presidents Cup with Tiger, so it only makes sense he wants Tiger on the U.S. side, right?

Stricker says he would like Tiger to be playing at Royal Melbourne for this year's Presidents Cup, and hopes he follows Fred Couples' desires and plays in more events before heading to Australia.

Do you agree with The Strick Show? Read what he had to say here ([url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2011/08/stricker-says-he-wants-woods-back-as-a-partner.html"]Stricker wants Woods back as a partner[/url]), and let us know what you think.

----
Posted:

Comments

• toddnttoddnt  4298Members Posts: 4,298
    With Steve saying that, its a done deal! They match well and TW will be there, so if TW is playing a littlebad, SS can pick up slack!
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ethanlculverethanlculver  3764Unregistered Posts: 3,764
    Sounds good.

Tiger is a virtual lock for the team in my opinion. He said in his blog today that he's been talking to Fred Couples and they're going to get it worked out...and even if Tiger only plays the Aussie Open, I'm sure he'll convince Freddy that his game is good enough to be on the team. He wants to be on the team, the other team members want him on the team, and the team captain wants him on the team. And he'll be on the team.
    Posted:
  • DriveIt"N"3PuttDriveIt"N"3Putt  1607Members Posts: 1,607
    Everybody is playing politics, I'm glad Steve is coming out and saying he should be his partner again.
    Posted:
  • Bob57Bob57  2933Members Posts: 2,933
    Politics aside Tiger just plain isn't playing very good. That is nice Stricker wants him but does he really think just by being on the team Tiger's game is going to come around. He is fiddling with three putters (maybe a long one next). His iron distance is all over the map because he is hitting it much purer. His driver is longer but is getting worse by the tournament in terms of accuracy.....
    Posted:
  • Frankie Lob WedgeFrankie Lob Wedge Charlie  2779Banned Posts: 2,779
    Bob57 wrote:

Politics aside Tiger just plain isn't playing very good. That is nice Stricker wants him but does he really think just by being on the team Tiger's game is going to come around. He is fiddling with three putters (maybe a long one next). His iron distance is all over the map because he is hitting it much purer. His driver is longer but is getting worse by the tournament in terms of accuracy.....

God forbid they actually decide to pick a younger player who is playing well. What a joke.
    Posted:
  • AP2 712AP2 712  5509Members Posts: 5,509 BST Banned

Bob57 wrote:

God forbid they actually decide to pick a younger player who is playing well. What a joke.

God forbid they (the PGA) actually want people to care about a golf event in November that will be played while most will be asleep.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • bombngougebombngouge  214Members Posts: 214
    I'm getting sick of hearing tiger this and tiger that blah blah blah. mark my word he will be on the team and his team will lose because he plays like crap.
    Posted:
  • J13J13 Dad golf  15851Members Posts: 15,851
    bombngouge wrote:

I'm getting sick of hearing tiger this and tiger that blah blah blah. mark my word he will be on the team and his team will lose because he plays like crap.

Consider your word marked.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsu Tensei Pro White 70TX
    Fairway wood - Under construction
    Irons - Under Construction
    Wedges - Under Construction
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWrx TG2 Podcast - MMT Shaft review -  https://soundcloud.com/golfwrx/tg2-graphite-iron-shafts-for-better-players-with-forum-member-j13
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram- @Jminis13
  • gators78gators78  3977ClubWRX Posts: 3,977
    TP Ghosted wrote:

Bob57 wrote:

God forbid they (the PGA) actually want people to care about a golf event in November that will be played while most will be asleep.

Ok, then pick Daly and Woods.
    Posted:
    G400 Max
    M6 3W
    RBZ Hybrid
    Arias
    Raw SM7s
    PM Grind 64*
    Exo Strokelab Mini #7
  • PedronNiallPedronNiall  2128Members Posts: 2,128
    bombngouge wrote:

PrtScn
    Posted:
    gators78 wrote:

TP Ghosted wrote:

Bob57 wrote:

Come on man... ur better than that
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Buckets2Buckets2  2545Members Posts: 2,545
    Saw the thread title and didn't even have to look right. I knew it was a Hennessy thread.
    Posted:
  • gators78gators78  3977ClubWRX Posts: 3,977
    TP Ghosted wrote:

gators78 wrote:

TP Ghosted wrote:

Bob57 wrote:

Come on man... ur better than that

Hey I'm not the one suggesting the President's Cup is a mere friendly exhibition.
    Posted:
    G400 Max
    M6 3W
    RBZ Hybrid
    Arias
    Raw SM7s
    PM Grind 64*
    Exo Strokelab Mini #7
    Friendly exhibition or not...nobody will care about it when the TV slots are 2am...Tiger can only help

I think you are reading too much into his MC at the PGA.
    Posted:
  • jabrchjabrch  3915Members Posts: 3,915
    I don't really care what Tiger wants...here's what's important...What is Couples' JOB?

A) Build a team that will draw the best ratings on TV?

B) Build a team with the best chance of winning the event?

If his job is B, and he still picks Woods, he isn't doing his job.

If his job is A, then the role of captain of a President's Cup team is a lot less significant than I thought.
    Posted:
    Ping G30 Tour 65
    Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
    Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
    Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
    Vokey 60 degree
    STX Putter
  • isaacitalisaacital  83Members Posts: 83
    I absolutely agree...id take tiger on my team anyday!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • 502 to Right502 to Right Badds  8110Members Posts: 8,110
    The need for good TV ratings demands that Tiger Woods be on the team. It's the biggest no-brainer of all time.
    Posted:
  • kitsoasiskitsoasis fried chicken  3859Members Posts: 3,859
    You can understand why Stricker wants him but surely you can't compare Tiger 09 form to Tiger 11 form?

But Tiger will probably play just to draw a crowd rather than on merit, how sad...
    Posted:
  • Golf_SliceGolf_Slice  143Members Posts: 143
    The Tv ratings will increase regardless if he wins or looses! All the haters want to see him crash and burn and all the fans are going to be there! And i think he will really have his game together by then.. The guys a great athleate he is not going to forget how to hit a ball over night, he just needs to shake the rust off.

Posted:
    kitsoasis wrote:

You can understand why Stricker wants him but surely you can't compare Tiger 09 form to Tiger 11 form?

But Tiger will probably play just to draw a crowd rather than on merit, how sad...

Same could have been said for Tiger going into the 2010 Ryder Cup...How did F. Molinari do against him?

What I find sad is the 1-6-1 record the International team has in this exhibition. black%20eye.gif
    Posted:
  • ktbfsuktbfsu  763Members Posts: 763
    whether he plays great, decent or lays an egg.......the event is more interesting with tiger on the team.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • rafalrafal  5868Members Posts: 5,868
    Stricker should wait his turn to be captain before muscling his buddies into an event. I always get this passive-aggressive vibe from SS.
    Posted:
    TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • swbypsswbyps  3280Members Posts: 3,280
    This is what I find interesting...

Notice whenever any of the players who were around and witnessed Tiger during his real dominating years..whenever any of those players are asked about Tiger and his game or whatever, they always answer as if they believe he is still the best player in the world. As if hes just one tournament away from being right back to how he was before. Some of these younger guys, they dont seem to respond in quite the same way.

Thats what strikes me about this Stricker deal and with Freddie too. Recalling the decade of golf from Tiger that they personally witnessed and thinking that if he could just be 85% of what he was that would be good enough. Of course its not literally that way but in a sense it seems as if thats how a lot of these older players think. Its like they think that he was soooo much better than everyone else before, if he could just be almost as good as before then he would still be one of the top players.

I dont believe that these guys are actively thinking like this. It just seems to me like the thought of the old Tiger still lingers in their minds.
    Posted:
  • merojmeroj  495Members Posts: 495
    swbyps wrote:

This is what I find interesting...

Notice whenever any of the players who were around and witnessed Tiger during his real dominating years..whenever any of those players are asked about Tiger and his game or whatever, they always answer as if they believe he is still the best player in the world. As if hes just one tournament away from being right back to how he was before. Some of these younger guys, they dont seem to respond in quite the same way.

Thats what strikes me about this Stricker deal and with Freddie too. Recalling the decade of golf from Tiger that they personally witnessed and thinking that if he could just be 85% of what he was that would be good enough. Of course its not literally that way but in a sense it seems as if thats how a lot of these older players think. Its like they think that he was soooo much better than everyone else before, if he could just be almost as good as before then he would still be one of the top players.

I dont believe that these guys are actively thinking like this. It just seems to me like the thought of the old Tiger still lingers in their minds.

Brilliant post. I have to agree with you.

The debate of whether tiger should be picked or not though is disappointing on some level. Those arguing for his being picked base the selection on the fact that it would make for better television. Is that what we've come to? Artificially rigging sporting events to make for greater television ratings? I'm a tiger fan, but first and foremost, I'm a golf fan. I would MUCH rather watch great golf than watch tiger to see if he implodes.

The fact remains, tiger may have caused people to take up the game, but he did not create golf fans, he and the marketing dept.s of the PGA and the networks, created tiger fans.
    Posted:
  • grahlergrahler  759Banned Posts: 759
    Tiger might be ex-Foley-ated but he's still Tiger. He can go low at any given moment. No one has taken away the talent-you just can't leave him off the team for some unproven tour rookie who had a good week come on man.

It's Tiger!
    Posted:
  • GatorNate11GatorNate11  3919Members Posts: 3,919
    I hope he's on the team. I'm not saying that because I want ratings, I want to see Tiger on the team. Besides, it doesn't really matter, it's kind of like spring ball, it's just something to have fun with, while still trying to win, but not making a difference in your season.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • devildog66devildog66  287Members Posts: 287

Steve Stricker went undefeated in the '09 Presidents Cup with Tiger, so it only makes sense he wants Tiger on the U.S. side, right?

Stricker says he would like Tiger to be playing at Royal Melbourne for this year's Presidents Cup, and hopes he follows Fred Couples' desires and plays in more events before heading to Australia.

Do you agree with The Strick Show? Read what he had to say here ([url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2011/08/stricker-says-he-wants-woods-back-as-a-partner.html"]Stricker wants Woods back as a partner[/url]), and let us know what you think.

----

Another Golf Digest attempt to stir the pot there, Mr. Hennesssey?
    Posted:
  • minhjnminhjn  3198Members Posts: 3,198
    match play is so much different than stroke play. this will help tiger, no doubt. his match play record speaks for itself.

this is why they are called captain's picks, the capt can pick whoever he feels like, it's his prerogative . it's not supposed to be fair. if it was fair, they would just choose the 11th and 12th place guys on the points list

also, why wouldn't steve want tiger? they have a pretty good record as a team. One loss in the last two team events
    Posted:
  • TheDarkOneTheDarkOne  3725Members Posts: 3,725
    I don't have an opinion on Woods one way or the other, but this constant babble about him in the President's Cup is getting to be to much.

One of the things that's hilarious about the Tiger Woods apologist is the duality they display in their posts. Without naming names, I remember some of you here VERY clearly having a cow about Michelle Wie playing in men's events. How she was "stealing" a spot from a more deserving player, how she didn't belong there based on talent and how it was just a marketing move. How it was only done for ratings. Yet now when it's "your Tiger," in question, my how the tide turns. True there is a difference between the President's Cup and a tour event, but the spirit of the discussion is virtually the same.

Another interesting point is that things have gotten so bad for Woods, an argument can't even be made based on his play. Now, the best argument a person can make is either about what Woods did years ago or how he gets TV ratings as if golf had turned into Pro Wrestling. What a sad state of affairs.

Personally, I can't wait and I desperately hope he plays. I can't wait to see him get absolutely destroyed by whoever he plays. He can hide behind Stricker all he wants, sooner or later he's going to have to play singles and seeing the inevitable trashing that Scott or anyone else will give him is going to be fabulous. If he is paired against Scott especially with Stevie on the bag, don't be surprised to see the crowd openly booing him.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    TheDarkOne wrote:

Another interesting point is that things have gotten so bad for Woods, an argument can't even be made based on his play. Now, the best argument a person can make is either about what Woods did years ago or how he gets TV ratings as if golf had turned into Pro Wrestling. What a sad state of affairs.

Yeaaaaa..... he did only play in 8 PGA Tour events in 2011 and only 3 since April. Word on the street is that he didn't play due to (get this) AN INJURY!!!

It amazes me how you dismiss that fact and post as if he's played all year long.

I'm still waiting to see a Tiger thread where you call it down the middle.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.