Phil debating move to long putter?

Steve Hennessey ·  
Steve HennesseySteve Hennessey Members  120WRX Points: 0Posts: 120
Phil Mickelson has had some struggles with the short stick, but would he consider a move to the long putter?

Lefty said he "wouldn't rule it out."

It's been a topic of discussion in the golf world lately, with debate about whether or not it should be made illegal.

What do you think? Should Mickelson make the switch?

Read Alex Myers' story on Lefty, and let us know what you think.

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2011/08/phil-on-using-a-long-putter-i-wouldnt-rule-it-out.html"]Phil on using long putter: "I wouldn't rule it out"[/url]

----
Posted:

Comments

• ethanlculverethanlculver Unregistered  3764WRX Points: 0Handicap: 8.2Posts: 3,764
    When did Phil say that? Do you have a source or link?

If he does, then there will be a good chance he won't be doing that with Bones.

I wouldn't really care if he went to a long putter, but I'd be pretty disappointed if he went to a belly putter...you know I hate those, because they're anchored into your body.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • fireguyfrank58fireguyfrank58 Members  789WRX Points: 0Posts: 789
    Hard to believe after Bones just had his quote with David F. that they should not be allowed.
    Posted:
    Ping I25 9 degree x flex
    TEE 4 wood
    Ping I series 4-Gap PX 6.0
    Ping Glide 54 degree
    Ping Glide 58 degree
    Machine M1A custom
    You know I don't really know why the belly putter is such a big deal these days. I don't really recall such a call for a ban years ago when Vijay and Sergio were using them. I guess since they are both considered not great putters?
    Posted:
    Ping I25 9 degree x flex
    TEE 4 wood
    Ping Glide 54 degree
    Ping Glide 58 degree
    Machine M1A custom
  • Par72Par72 Members  598WRX Points: 0Posts: 598

Hard to believe after Bones just had his quote with David F. that they should not be allowed.

You realize Bones works for Phil, not the other way around?

Posted:
    Par72 wrote:

True but as close as they are it just seems unlikey to me.
    Posted:
    Ping I25 9 degree x flex
    TEE 4 wood
    Ping Glide 54 degree
    Ping Glide 58 degree
    Machine M1A custom
  • rtlltjrtlltj Members  200WRX Points: 40Posts: 200 Bunkers
    Bones said they shouldn't be allowed. It doesn't mean his player can't use one to even the playing field till they are banned though.
    Posted:

Advertisement

Par72 wrote:

True but as close as they are it just seems unlikey to me.

Its easy to spout off hypothetical opinions when someone (for once) asks you what you think. Why anyone in the media asks caddies for opinions or anything other than hysterical stories is beyond me. I'm pretty sure if a long putter was the way to Phil earning 8 million next season Bones would ok with that.
    Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  28578WRX Points: 5,216Posts: 28,578 Titanium Tees
    I think it would be great, he seems so inconsistent from short ranges and I think it could really be something to consider.

I don't have a problem with it, if someone is getting toward their 40s.

It just looks really silly with these youngsters who should be a the peak of their reflexes and "nerves", especially Adam Scott with the putter up to his chest.

Looks like he is sweeping the hallways with that thing.
    Posted:
  • gators78gators78 ClubWRX  4002WRX Points: 207Handicap: 3Posts: 4,002 ClubWRX
    Saying he 'wouldn't rule it out' and moving to he's 'debating on using a long putter' is a bit of a stretch. Phil is open to absolutely anything, as evident by his various equipment schemes, but a longer putter would be 180 degrees in the opposite direction of his current stroke. I'd like to see him try and eliminate that forward press after 30+ years of doing it.
    Posted:
    G400 Max
    M6 3W
    RBZ Hybrid
    MP20 MMC 4 Iron
    MP20 MB 5-W
    Raw SM7s
    PM Grind 64*
    Special Select Newport 2
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees
    Let's be clear...

"not ruling it out" DOES NOT equal "considering making the move"

Is this what is considered journalism?

my word. :wagofthefinger
    Posted:
    run of the mill driver with stock shaft
    a couple of outdated hybrids
    shovel-ier shovels
    wedges from same shovel company
    some putter with a dead insert and
    a hideous grip
    bscinstnct wrote:

I think it would be great, he seems so inconsistent from short ranges and I think it could really be something to consider.

It just looks really silly with these youngsters who should be a the peak of their reflexes and "nerves", especially Adam Scott with the putter up to his chest.

Yea....Adam Scott looks like an idiot playing the best golf of his career and laughing all the way to banking multiple millions of $$$ since he started using the long putter.

You'd kill to look that silly.....man_in_love.gif

Posted:

Advertisement
  • sefus12sefus12 Members  1557WRX Points: 120Posts: 1,557 Platinum Tees
    Someone is simply looking for hits I think.

Phil was asked during his presser if he would ever consider using a long putter and he started with "i would never rule it out BUT" and went out to talk about how the stoke is totally different and how big a change it would be and such. I think it was more of a protective statement if for some reason he did get so far down on his putting in the future that he decided to give the crutch a try people couldn't come back and point out he said he'd never use one.

As I said, I think someone is trying to stir the pot a bit and/or get hits.
    Posted:
    Nike CT 2.0 w/Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
    TM Rocketballz Tour 13*
    Titleist 913h 17* w/D+ 92s
    TM Rocketbladez Tour w/KBS Tour S
    Odyssey Rossie FB1
    Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees

When did Phil say that? Do you have a source or link?

If he does, then there will be a good chance he won't be doing that with Bones.

I wouldn't really care if he went to a long putter, but I'd be pretty disappointed if he went to a belly putter...you know I hate those, because they're anchored into your body.

the long putter you anchor to your chest. Both kinds of putters a real man like Phil doesn't need!

Unless he wants to make a couple more 5 footers. image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members  28578WRX Points: 5,216Posts: 28,578 Titanium Tees
    Par72 wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Yea....Adam Scott looks like an idiot playing the best golf of his career and laughing all the way to banking multiple millions of $$$ since he started using the long putter.

Kill is a bit strong, but yes it would be cool to play a sport for a living. Although given the choice it would be center field for the Yankees.

And I think it's great Adam is doing well again, I see great things for him in the future.

But c'mon, don't you think his victory "fist pump" would look a little more macho it he wasn't holding a broomstick.

image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    Posted:
  • mich_pingmich_ping Members  676WRX Points: 127Posts: 676 Golden Tee
    rtlltj wrote:

Bones said they shouldn't be allowed. It doesn't mean his player can't use one to even the playing field till they are banned though.

+1

I wonder how Bones felt about the ping wedge groove situation....but that was back before the days of interviewing caddies and caring what they think....thanks for that Stevie!
    Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29447WRX Points: 2,379Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,447 Titanium Tees
    if the USGA comes out and says they are considering banning it, i guarantee Phil pulls it out for at least a few rounds just to stick it to them. That would be classic Phil.

otherwise i doubt he uses one in the next 2-3 years
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Driver w/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7
    Cobra F9 3 wood w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/ KBS Hybrid Prototype 85
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 

Advertisement
  • VindogVindog Don't order the schnitzel. They're using schnauzer! Members  18116WRX Points: 1,051Posts: 18,116 Titanium Tees
    bscinstnct wrote:
    But c'mon, don't you think his victory "fist pump" would look a little more macho it he wasn't holding a broomstick.

I suppose if you were narrow minded, and liked the look of macho golfers then yeah, I guess you'd be right.
    Posted:
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
    mich_ping wrote:
    I wonder how Bones felt about the ping wedge groove situation....but that was back before the days of interviewing caddies and caring what they think....thanks for that Stevie!

don't hate the caddy hate the game? image/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />
    Posted:
    shovel-ier shovels
    a hideous grip
    bscinstnct wrote:

Par72 wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Yea....Adam Scott looks like an idiot playing the best golf of his career and laughing all the way to banking multiple millions of $$ since he started using the long putter.

Kill is a bit strong, but yes it would be cool to play a sport for a living. Although given the choice it would be center field for the Yankees.

And I think it's great Adam is doing well again, I see great things for him in the future.

I'd give up a bit in the machoness category to make millions and finally achieve the success that for so long was just out of my grasp. Considering the rest of the sporting world always though golfers dressed like goofs and weren't athletes I think its a joke to hear similar comments from within the golfing community.

Sorry dude...just tired of the bashing of the Long putters.

Posted:
    Vindog wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

I suppose if you were narrow minded, and liked the look of macho golfers then yeah, I guess you'd be right.

Just for the record, I am a big fan of Woody Allen films!

To you and par72, clearly Adam is doing great, but I do find him to look a little funny with the putter.

That's all.
    Posted:
    bscinstnct wrote:

Vindog wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Just for the record, I am a big fan of Woody Allen films!

To you and par72, clearly Adam is doing great, but I do find him to look a little funny with the putter.

That's all.

No worries man...was just discussing.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • PotatoheadPotatohead Members  2957WRX Points: 405Posts: 2,957 Titanium Tees
    These threads are so annoying. The fact we're being asked to discuss something elsewhere while we are currently ON A DISCUSSION BOARD is ridiculous.

The trolling for page hits is so obvious it's painful.
    Posted:
  • Wood511Wood511 Members  331WRX Points: 0Posts: 331
    I think it will come down to how Phil putts going forward. If it continues to be an issue, then it needs to be fixed...and the long/belly putter remains out there as an option. He also needs to start hitting some fairways.

Phil and bones will be fine, even if Phil picks up a long stick. If Democrats can marry Republicans, then these two will work it out.
    Posted:
  • PlayawayPlayaway Members  3891WRX Points: 1Posts: 3,891 Bunkers
    It might work out for Phil. He could be the first to anchor it into cleavage. Yea, might work!
    Posted:
    Valhalla, I am coming!
    Drums beating, cold English blood
    runs hot.
    they just can't kill the beast
  • imazephedimazephed Master of the obvious Members  133WRX Points: 50Posts: 133 Fairways
    don't hate the caddy hate the game? image/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Tru Dat
    Posted:
  • YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold Members  4131WRX Points: 145Handicap: 1.2Posts: 4,131 Titanium Tees
    I would like to see Phil try Kuchar's style of putting. Take a longer putter and just rest it on the forearm. Seems to be working pretty well for Kuchar and it would still allow Phil to forward press as much as he wants (just adjust the loft of the putter head to fit).
    Posted:
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow

Advertisement
  • ethanlculverethanlculver Unregistered  3764WRX Points: 0Handicap: 8.2Posts: 3,764
    Phil either needs to change his putter to a different kind or change his stroke. Maybe a long putter would help him but I'd hate to see him go to one...it would bother me. I like Phil and I really hope he doesn't use a broomstick.
    Posted:
  • NWS AlpineNWS Alpine Members  2608WRX Points: 56Posts: 2,608 Titanium Tees
    **** some players openly admit they should be illegal but they still use them because they are legal.
    Posted:
    NWS Alpine wrote:

**** some players openly admit they should be illegal but they still use them because they are legal.

I call BS! Find me one quote from a player saying they should be illegal while they are using one. Ernie saying so 6 years ago and using one now doesn't count....

For those that think Adam looks funny using the belly putter...what about 21 yr old cutie Michelle Wie using it? how does she look?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • PotatoheadPotatohead Members  2957WRX Points: 405Posts: 2,957 Titanium Tees
    Par72 wrote:

NWS Alpine wrote:

I call BS! Find me one quote from a player saying they should be illegal while they are using one. Ernie saying so 6 years ago and using one now doesn't count....

For those that think Adam looks funny using the belly putter...what about 21 yr old cutie Michelle Wie using it? how does she look?

Pretty sure they mentioned on the broadcast this weekend that Carl Petterson thought they should be illegal, and he's used one forever.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.