Preperation for tournaments

What if you have never played the course?
Just wondering what you guys do to prepare for a tournament if you've never played the course before and are unable to play the course before the tourney. All advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• greenmachine0227greenmachine0227 Members Posts: 303
    I try to talk to a friend who has played it to find out any key holes. I also make sure that I have a yardage book or at very least a map that clearly marks all of the hazards so I know what's out there on blind tee shots. For the first few holes at least, until I can get a feel for how the course is playing, I'll try to follow the lead of the other golfers in my group. If they are hitting a 3 iron off the tee on a par four for example, I'll take the time to make sure I know what's out there before grabbing a club much different from that.
  • Ditty_72Ditty_72 Jr. Boomers, Lefty Boomers Posts: 637
    Research the course on google, find out key things about the course, possibly even a hole-by-hole map of the course if you're lucky enough to find one. Keep track of what you want to do on each hole off the tee, and go from there.
  • bjacksonbjackson Win The Day Marshals Posts: 5,689 mod
    google the course, and find as much info as i can from the course website. can usually get a scorecard, pictures of holes....u get the picture.
  • lefty909lefty909 Members Posts: 67
    Thanks for the help. Played today and won the scratch section of the tournament by one stroke. Yay!!! Once again, Thanks.

Ben
  • FurrankeeFurrankee Banned Posts: 994
    I've gone to tournaments, never playing the course. And you know what? The fact that you hit a shot into a fairway that is semi-blind, and you hit the fairway. That's golf.

No need to study. Just observe. And swing away. That's golf.
  • BobaBoba Members Posts: 2,284
    Furrankee wrote on Sep 21 2006, 03:34 AM:

I've gone to tournaments, never playing the course. And you know what? The fact that you hit a shot into a fairway that is semi-blind, and you hit the fairway. That's golf.

No need to study. Just observe. And swing away. That's golf.

I agree with furrankee. The worst thing for me is to know where all the bad stuff is. I just played a course in the east sf bay & hit the first 14 greens in a row with no guidance or yardage markers, let alone a map & yardage book. See the fairway, Hit the fairway. See the green, Hit the green. Just make sure you see the right green. I was 1 under through 13 in a tournament this summer & hit the wrong green thanks to a poor artist rendition of the hole on the tee box & me being the 1st to hit.
  • italianstallionitalianstallion Bethpage Black - 8th hole Junior Mod Squad Posts: 3,016 ✭✭
    If i've never played the course, i'll google earth the course to get a general idea of whats out there in front of me, water, bunkers, etc. Mainly because sometimes you'll be on a hole and have a blind landing area, and depending on whether or not the course has a map (or an accurate one) you could hit a perfect shot only to find that there was a hazard right in the way. Again, just to get a general idea of the layout.
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Members Posts: 6,393 ✭✭
    I find I tend to play better on courses sight unseen. You play away from hazards on the tee, you don't challenge them. Put it in play, and then when you have the chance you can attack from the FW. If you miss shots off the tee, play defensively and get it to where you can take doubles out of play. No doubles, a couple birdies and you're usually in business with something around par. Also, make sure to get there early and get on the putting green. If you're putting well you can take most of the pressure off the rest of your game
    Ping G400 MAX 9* w/ Tour 65 (S)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • golfalot333golfalot333 Jr. Boomers Posts: 261
    usually i play a practice round but if i can't I usually just google the course and take notes in a notebook...and talk to the pros at my club for soem extra tips on the course. And if i can...I try to walk the course first just ot know what I'm dealing with..again taking notes...
  • boris58boris58 Members Posts: 15
    doesnt matter if youre on top of your game every course is the same to you whether u played it or not after all its golf not the SAT
  • golfer101golfer101 Members Posts: 50
    I play conservative off of the tee...whatever keeps me in play...at one AJGA qualifier i hit 5 wood off like every tee and I kept myself in every hole.