Which 3 balls under $20

MrEdMrEd Members Posts: 6
For those who have played many different balls, which one of these 3 would you play if you was me. I have a club speed over 100. I shoot in the 90's. And Im looking for a ball under $20. Ive recently been playing TP straight ($9.97) for 15. THese things are rough around the green and seem to loose speed when hit off the tee... My goals for a ball are to be moderately long off the tee and moderately soft around the greens.. I talked with a golf pro today at the shop, and I told him i was looking at the srixon ad333 and he said it was a hard ball, and that he suggested the srixon soft.. I know what Im asking fits the 3 piece balls more, but the way I lose balls this isnt an option...

Callaway HX Diablo

Srixon Soft and Feel

Nike PD soft

Comments

• MrEdMrEd Members Posts: 6
    I know Im a new guy on this forum, but theres got to be atleast a few opinions.. 22 views no replies...
  • jdmorris1980jdmorris1980 Members Posts: 1,505 ClubWRX
    Hx diablo tour
  • sixiron150sixiron150 Members Posts: 122
    edited Sep 9, 2011 #4
    I really like the Top Flite D2s (if you can swallow your pride playing a ball with a TF logo on it). Shot a 78 with one today.

Edit: I overlooked the fact that you had narrowed it down to three types (duh, it's in the title idiot). Anyway, I've haven't really used these particular models. However, I do like Srixon balls in general.
  • itsernstitsernst Digital Genius & wanna be golfer Members Posts: 434 ✭✭
    On par with the Top Flite...the Gamer V2 isn't a terrible ball either. You can get some decent spin with it around greens and they play pretty long.
  • ThreeOnParFiveThreeOnParFive Members Posts: 241
    The Top Flite Gamer V2 is a 3-piece ball under $20. Walmart (in my area) sells the HX Diablo Tour for $22 so that's close to under $20 and is also a 3-piece. They play almost identical to one another. You should give either a try.
  • Dr. ShankensteinDr. Shankenstein Members Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    Though I have not yet played these but alot of guys here insist on the Top Flite Gamers. Since I am running low on balls right now I think I might go pick up a sleeve or two to check them out.

Good luck with the hunt.
    PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
    TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
    PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
    2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
    Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
    Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18
  • viperstudioviperstudio Members Posts: 1,597 ✭✭
    Gamer V2 the best ball under 20.
    TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5° backup)
    TI M2 (2016) 13.5° TS AD-GP 7x
    TM P790 2 UDI bent 16° [font=futura-pt, sans-serif]KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X [/font] (TI RSi TP UDI 1MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX backup)

TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 S
    TI TM Milled GRIND 52° and 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
    TI Bullseye Tour Putter
    KSIG/PROv1x
    edited Sep 9, 2011 #9
    looks like gamer is in the lead, never thought id hear TF considered but hey, they were bought out by Callaway recently, so maybe they are legit
  • TheShaunTheShaun Members Posts: 1,108 ✭✭
    Wilson Zip.

End thread/
  • High Plains DriverHigh Plains Driver Chip Yipper Extraordinaire Members Posts: 2,377 ✭✭
    edited Sep 9, 2011 #11

+1

It isn't going to spin as much as a premium ball, but it isn't far off.

If the V2 Gamer was licensed to Titleist and called the Pro V2, they would sell just as well as the Pro V1/V1X.
    I am not brand loyal. I am just seriously OCD.

[font=georgia,serif]Driver: Taylormade M4
    Fairway: Taylormade M4 3HL
    Hybrid: Taylormade M4 19°
    Irons: Taylormade M1 4-P
    Wedges: Taylormade ATV 50°, 56° (bent to 55°), and 60°
    Putter: Taylormade DA-12/Taylormade Spider/Taylormade Est 79 TM-110
    Ball: Taylormade Tour Preferred X/TP5X
    [/font]
  • PhilsFanDrewPhilsFanDrew Members Posts: 540
    Stay away from the Srixon Soft Feel as this ball is more for low swing speeds. If you lose a lot of balls you should consider purchasing recycled balls from lostgolfballs.com or knetgolf.com. You can get much better balls for less that $20/dozen. You can get a 50 bucket of Bridgestone B330-S balls for $39.99. If you prefer not to buy recycled and just want to buy from a store you can't go wrong with the Top Flight Gamer V2.
  • jkim23jkim23 Members Posts: 50
    Exactly right.

Have to keep mind that things change. People change, things change, and companies change. I remember when Hyundai first came out no one in their right mind would buy one if they could afford a better car. Now, years later, Hyundai is dominating sales numbers and have surpassed the leaders in quality and innovation.

I think the same can be said of Top Flite. The "insiders" know that the Gamer V2 is a great performing ball for a great price. Same goes for Wilson C:25. If either of these balls had Titleist/Taylormade/Srixon on their labels they would sell for much more.

+1

It isn't going to spin as much as a premium ball, but it isn't far off.

If the V2 Gamer was licensed to Titleist and called the Pro V2, they would sell just as well as the Pro V1/V1X.
  • storm319storm319 Members Posts: 3,767 ✭✭
    MrEd wrote:

For those who have played many different balls, which one of these 3 would you play if you was me. I have a club speed over 100. I shoot in the 90's. And Im looking for a ball under $20. Ive recently been playing TP straight ($9.97) for 15. THese things are rough around the green and seem to loose speed when hit off the tee... My goals for a ball are to be moderately long off the tee and moderately soft around the greens.. I talked with a golf pro today at the shop, and I told him i was looking at the srixon ad333 and he said it was a hard ball, and that he suggested the srixon soft.. I know what Im asking fits the 3 piece balls more, but the way I lose balls this isnt an option...

Callaway HX Diablo

Srixon Soft and Feel

Nike PD soft

Have you tried the TF D2 Feel? Same price as the straight but with the softest cover TF makes. You could also try the Noodle Easy Distance which is the lowest compression ball on the market that also has one of the softest surlyn covers available.
    Well I stopped by the shop today, got a sleeve of the gamers and hx diablo, Work is slow today, so ive been chipping and putting in the back on carpet. The diablo feels better putting a chipping, the gamer has a click to it when chipped, seems to be a harder ball..
  • golfbum9golfbum9 Members Posts: 2,914
    As mentioned the V2 Gamer (hated the original) and Diablo Tour are the best overall performers at that Price point. But the Soft Feel, Burner, PD Soft (Powersoft was better) are worth a try as well.

In the 15 for $20 or less category; Top Flite D2 Distance. for me, it performed much better tee to green than the Feel version.
  • driverwedgedriverwedge If you swing hard and miss, it hurts a bit. Members Posts: 3,856 ✭✭
    TF D2 Feel+ (or Feel)

TF Gamer V2

Cally Diablo Tour (just over $20)

Wilson Zip

Nike PD Soft
    Adams 9064LS 8.5*/ Aldila CINNAMON 65-X
    Adams Super LS Black 18*/ Redboard 83x/ Blueboard 83xION
    Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x Or
    Adams Super LSP Black 23*/ AxivRed 104x
    MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7
    MP T5 Black Ion 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny
    Tour Issue Drizzle Stick (In case it rains).
    All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+
    WITB Link
  • DaveLeeNCDaveLeeNC Members Posts: 5,168 ✭✭
    I play the V1x and of the 3 listed balls the Nike PD Soft is the only one that I have played. For the price I found it to be a pretty good ball.

I know a teaching pro who used it as his 'main ball' for a while.

dave
  • TubaTuba Members Posts: 430
    I cannot believe how many good balls are to be found for under $20 per doz. Don't forget the MacGregor VIP. 3 piece, urethane, the works. Great ball.
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,891 ✭✭
    MrEd wrote:

Callaway HX Diablo

Srixon Soft and Feel

Nike PD soft

Top-Flight Gamer V2

Srixon AD333 - That ball isn't hard! Wtf? It got replaced by the Q-Star (?), but they are still in abundant supply.

MG C4 Tour - Urethane!!!
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway BBA 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • PhilsFanDrewPhilsFanDrew Members Posts: 540
    Tuba wrote:

I cannot believe how many good balls are to be found for under $20 per doz. Don't forget the MacGregor VIP. 3 piece, urethane, the works. Great ball.

I can't get past the MacGregor stigma and haven't picked up a dozen of the VIP. They are made by Srixon. I guess I am uncomfortable with the MacGregor name because I associate it with cheap Kmart sporting goods apparel from back in the day. That and I have just been playing recycled balls from LGB this season.
  • BetweenTheEarsBetweenTheEars Members Posts: 336
    Srixon Soft & Feel

Srixon AD 333

Both great, cheap balls.

Had nothing but positive experiences from both of those.
  • jlh1508jlh1508 Members Posts: 124
    From that list I prefer the Hx Diablo

However you can get the Bridgestone E5 at Rockbottomgolf for less then $20 a dozen if you buy 3 dozen at a time
    Well I played this Sunday with the HX, Gamers, and bought a sleeve of the Srixon Q star. Worst ball for me was the HX, it was the least straightess ball,and it was about 10-15 yards shorter than the gamer and Q star. I didnt like it for pitching, or chipping, but it did feel good putting. The Gamer drove good and did everything good, and held the greens well. Only complaint is after a few hard iron shots it started wearing out. The Qstar felt very similar to the gamer. Both drove nice, and stuck well. I'll try the srixon soft and feel maybe next week when I go out..

Thank you all for your opinions..
  • ThreeOnParFiveThreeOnParFive Members Posts: 241
    MrEd wrote:

Well I played this Sunday with the HX, Gamers, and bought a sleeve of the Srixon Q star. Worst ball for me was the HX, it was the least straightess ball,and it was about 10-15 yards shorter than the gamer and Q star. I didnt like it for pitching, or chipping, but it did feel good putting. The Gamer drove good and did everything good, and held the greens well. Only complaint is after a few hard iron shots it started wearing out. The Qstar felt very similar to the gamer. Both drove nice, and stuck well. I'll try the srixon soft and feel maybe next week when I go out..

Thank you all for your opinions..

Was the HX you tried the regular or the Tour? There's a big difference in the two. The Tour version is a 3-piece ball and should have played very similar to the Gamer. The non-tour is a 2-piece ball and would be very different.
  • Jethro1984Jethro1984 Members Posts: 58
    I heard someone on here mention the MG Golf C4 Ball or something like that. It's made by Master Grip and I have heard they are awesome. I have not had a chance to play them yet but check them out. They are like 20 bucks a dozen I guess and directly compare to ProV1.
  • brushiebrushie Members Posts: 453 ✭✭
    Golfsmith has the TM LDP Black Practice ball for ~$15 a dozen these days. That's a steal.
    Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
    Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
    Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
    Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
    Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009
    The reg HX THREEONPARFIVE
  • PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,392 ✭✭
    Bridgestone Fixx

Gamer V2