Oklahoma City GolfWRX Group Thread

ben w

I went through some posts on this subforum and PM'd a few people to see if we had any interest in forming an OKC group game, and found a few people who are interested. I figured we could make a topic and keep posting in it versus trying to coordinate with everyone individually.

So far the guys I have found are:

• ben w
  • Joehs (and roommate possibly)
  • bdeblis
  • meistro

We are aiming to get a fun game going here in OKC, so if you're interested start posting up. Also I think it would be a good idea to write a little bit about yourself just so we can kind of get to know each other beforehand. I'll start:

About me:

I live in Edmond, work near the state capitol, and play at muni courses in the OKC area. I started playing when I was 16 (am 30 now) but just recently started trying to get a little better. Overall I just try and have fun, keep it low key, I'm not competitive. Since I'm close to Lincoln I will try and go over there when it's nice at lunch time and hit a small bucket or practice putting, but I usually only play on weekends.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks,
I have talked with Ben for a few days now about starting this group. As for the clubs that I frequent, It is usually Coffee Creek or Hefner. My Brother in Law prefers KickingBird but I have not played that course in a long time.

About myself:
I have been golfing on and off since i was about 16 just like Ben, but never really took it seriously. It was something I could do with my father. I have recently been looking to but a good bag together for a weekend duffer like myself and as soon as I get everything together I will be playing regularly. Feel free to PM if you want to exchange ideas or want to play a round.

I definitely think we should keep this going.

I live in Edmond. I have been playing since I was 21 (41 now) and just completed a year lessons package at GolfTec to get my handicap down to 4ish. I just retired from the Air Force after 20 years and decided to stay in Oklahoma(originally from the Jersey Shore). I play Hefner, Lincoln, Kickingbird, Coffee Creek, and Silverhorn pretty much in a haphazard rotation. I sometimes go down to Jimmie Austin to test out my game from the tips(7400 yards is long!). I would like to play a lot of the tougher courses, but they are private and not shelling out money for a club because I get bored easily with one thing.

I now work for the FAA, so I play pretty much every weekend, except when the Giants play during football season. Want to get a good crew together and play around the metro

I'm definitely down to set up a regular game. I try and play both Saturday and Sunday.

I live in OKC, right around the 235 and 44 junction. I work in downtown at a typical 8-5 job. Been playing about 3 months, generally shoot between 15 and 20 over russian_roulette.gif. I don't really have a regular course, while I'm still trying to get better. I play at Lincoln quite a bit, silverhorn, westwood in Norman, and there's a course in El Reno I play once in awhile although it's much less frequently then the close courses. I try and get out to the range at Lincoln at least twice a week to practice.

I may be able to play this weekend depending on what time you feel like teeing off. I'll be headed back from a family visit in Tulsa Sunday morning.

I had to do some family business so I ran up to Perkins and played Cimarron Trails with by brother in law, it was in decent shape except for the greens which were in poor condition. A lot of fun though, and the wind died down on the back 9 which made things a little easier.

How is this coming weekend looking for everyone?

That would be great. I am down for that. I do like playing there from time to time.

[quote name='putt4_66' timestamp='1317320492' post='3603615']
If you guys are interested, I can probably get you a little bit of a discount at Rose Creek. I haven't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure I can do something.

Let me know.

(I know the owner and the Director of Golf.)

[url="http://www.tour18.com/rose-creek-golf"]http://www.tour18.com/rose-creek-golf[/url]

Edit: To add link.
[/quote]

Get me a date, a head count , a time and someone's name to put the tee time under and I'll see what I can do. You do it by PM if you don't want to publish that here.

[quote name='bdeblis' timestamp='1317321743' post='3603707']
That would be great. I am down for that. I do like playing there from time to time.

[quote name='putt4_66' timestamp='1317320492' post='3603615']
If you guys are interested, I can probably get you a little bit of a discount at Rose Creek. I haven't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure I can do something.

Let me know.

(I know the owner and the Director of Golf.)

[url="http://www.tour18.com/rose-creek-golf"]http://www.tour18.com/rose-creek-golf[/url]

Edit: To add link.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Brian, I'm down to play somewhere this weekend. I am meeting up with Joehs today after work for a late 9 and I will ask if he wants to play early.

Rose Creek is a nice course. Really growing up. It's very close to me so that's a bonus too. I was going to toss my hat into the ring for the OGA Mid-Am this year but I've fizzled out and lost motivation. Thanks for the offer putt4_66!

Sounds good to me. Have fun this afternoon.

[quote name='ben w' timestamp='1317326206' post='3604045']
Brian, I'm down to play somewhere this weekend. I am meeting up with Joehs today after work for a late 9 and I will ask if he wants to play early.

Rose Creek is a nice course. Really growing up. It's very close to me so that's a bonus too. I was going to toss my hat into the ring for the OGA Mid-Am this year but I've fizzled out and lost motivation. Thanks for the offer putt4_66!
[/quote]

Hey everyone, I just joined up on here today even though I've surfed the website before.

I don't have much going on this weekend so I'm thinking about playing a round. Wouldn't mind joining up with some locals, especially since I normally go play by myself & usually get paired with some unknown people. Let me know if someone could use a playing partner this weekend. I'd like to get out to Rose Creek sometime but called up there today & one of the guys said they just done the greens.

Me: I'm 25, live in NW OKC, work bank hours so I typically play on the weekends & hit the range during the week. Been playing for about 10 years and shoot mid 70's to low 80's. I'm out at Hefner a lot, sometimes I'll play others like Silverhorn, Earlywine, Lincoln, Coffey Creek to name a few. I do like to travel around, play different courses from the tips.

[size=1]SLDR 9.5* TP-X[/size]
[size=1]SLDR 15*[/size]
[size=1]SLDR 22*[/size]
[size=1]716 AP2 4-P S300[/size]
[size=1]50, 54, 60 SM5[/size]
[size=1]SC Squareback/size]

[quote name='cpayton' timestamp='1317336338' post='3604861']
Hey everyone, I just joined up on here today even though I've surfed the website before.

I don't have much going on this weekend so I'm thinking about playing a round. Wouldn't mind joining up with some locals, especially since I normally go play by myself & usually get paired with some unknown people. Let me know if someone could use a playing partner this weekend. I'd like to get out to Rose Creek sometime but called up there today & one of the guys said they just done the greens.

Me: I'm 25, live in NW OKC, work bank hours so I typically play on the weekends & hit the range during the week. Been playing for about 10 years and shoot mid 70's to low 80's. I'm out at Hefner a lot, sometimes I'll play others like Silverhorn, Earlywine, Lincoln, Coffey Creek to name a few. I do like to travel around, play different courses from the tips.
[/quote]

Good to know that they just punched the greens. If you guys still want to do something now, let me know. If not and you get together again, let me know then and I'll get something worked up for you all.

Let's play tomorrow morning. I'll be at Lincoln here in a few minutes to hit a small bucket over lunch, and I'll ask about tee times there.

How does that sound? I figure it's pretty centrally located and play moves decently fast there.

Thinking around 9am would be perfect, would be enough time for those who wanted to make the OU game.

Brian and Joey you guys in? What about you cpayton?

[quote name='ben w' timestamp='1317399785' post='3607991']
Let's play tomorrow morning. I'll be at Lincoln here in a few minutes to hit a small bucket over lunch, and I'll ask about tee times there.

How does that sound? I figure it's pretty centrally located and play moves decently fast there.

Thinking around 9am would be perfect, would be enough time for those who wanted to make the OU game.

[/quote]
I'd be up for it.

[size=1]SLDR 9.5* TP-X[/size]
[size=1]SLDR 15*[/size]
[size=1]SLDR 22*[/size]
[size=1]716 AP2 4-P S300[/size]
[size=1]50, 54, 60 SM5[/size]
[size=1]SC Squareback/size]

I am in. Let me know about time.

[quote name='cpayton' timestamp='1317400502' post='3608041']
[quote name='ben w' timestamp='1317399785' post='3607991']

[/quote]
I'd be up for it.
[/quote]

OK guys, I got us a tee time for 4 players (but Im sure we could bring 5) at [b]Silverhorn GC tomorrow morning at 8:37am[/b]. All the central/north city courses (I checked at Lincoln just a while ago, then I called Hefner, Trosper, Fairfax, and Kickingbird) are booked until after noon. I figured since most of us are in the North OKC/Edmond area, that Silverhorn would work. It's $38 per player including cart.

It's going to be in the high 50s/low 60s when we tee off, getting up to mid 70s with light winds. Should be a great day, and I'm looking forward to playing with you guys.

P.S. Brian, I think we played together at Lincoln Park one time. if your avatar picture is you, then I'm pretty sure we did. It was with a dad and his son and the son was being a major dbag and they quit after 9 holes. Ring any bells? LOL.