2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno MP R

Gxgolfer

Mizuno MP-R Series Wedge w/ Chrome Finish

The MP-R Series Grain Flow Forged wedges offer a Round face shape with a new, versatile, Tour inspired Workshop-Grind Sole for unbelievable ball control and consistent shot making ability.

FEATURES:

* Classic Round head shape.

* Patented Grain Flow Forged® 1025E Pure Select mild carbon steel for solid, soft, consistent feel

* Tour inspired Workshop-Grind Sole for consistent ball striking ability

* CNC Max-Milled square grooves for optimum spin

* Minimal offset

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very solid with use so far...

- the sole grind seems to work almost as well as the Cleveland tour van customer grinds

- very soft yet solid feel due to being a "true" forging and with the Mizuno 1025 soft steel

Well balanced, nice visual appeal. Like others, I was not crazy about the Mizuno "roadrunner" bird logo being etched on the sole but you forget about that.

Second shot I hit on a course with mine -- 54 degree -- I hit the flag from 105 out. Club goes 110 with comfortable swing.

Thanks, thumbs up. Might grade a "5" after I use some more.

Lawson

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree
Mizuno MP 25, 4-9 (about to change)
Miura CB-57 PW
Miura wedges, 53 and 59, Y grind
1964/5 Wilson 8813

• 5 weeks later...

I am happy with mine so far. Purchased a set (52/07, 56/13 and 60/04) matching my MP-67 shaft specs (DGSL S300, +1/2", 2 degrees up, Mizuno blue cord grips), and couldn't be more satisfied. My old wedge setup was a pair of MP-T's, 53/08 and 58/10. I was never super confident with either club out of the sand. With the 56/13, I am 6 for 6 out of greenside bunkers up and down so far ( it won't last, but I do like the club). I went to the three wedge set for the different bounce angles more than the different loft, and I am so glad I did. The 60/04 so far gets the least use of the three, but it comes in handy here and there.

With respect to the sole grind, I am not an experienced enough player to say if I am getting any major benefit out of it. I can say with the 56/13 however, that I am still getting good results from the bounce on the club, even if the trailing edge is ground off.

The black nickel finish has previously held up well in my MP-T's, so I expect the same here.

Spin is very solid - I usually have to clean golf ball debris out of the wedges after practicing at the range. The range I mainly use is mostly hard dirt, but I ususally get no 'bounce' with shots from these wedges (plenty of spin makes the balls just immeadiately roll when hitting the ground, even from fairly high shots.)

In short, I was happy with the MP-T's, and these are at least as good. Great wedges.

[size=4]Tom[/size]
[size=4]Highland, CA[/size]

[size=3]Driver: Aeroburner TP 9.5°(Diamana B Series 50X) 45.25"[/size]
[size=3]Fairway: [/size][size=3]R11s TP 3/15.5°(Kai'li 70X) 42.5"[/size]
[size=3]Utility: MP-H5 3 iron, (KBS Tour V S)[/size]
[size=3]Irons: MP-53 4-7, [/size][size=3]MP-64 8-PW[/size][size=3] (KBS Tour V S)[/size]
[size=3]Wedges: MP T5 50/07 & 55/12 (KBS 610), MP T5 60/10 (KBS HiRev 2.0)[/size]
[size=3]Putter: SC Futura-X DB 36", SS Slim 3.0 XL, Tour Lock 75[/size]
[size=3]Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, B330RX-S[/size]

• 3 months later...

I just put an end to my great wedge debate and pulled the trigger on a 56-13 and 60-05... I was considering going only with a 52* and 58* setup, but was worried that with my sweeper swing I would be able to find a 58* that could pull satisfactory double duty as both a sand and lob wedge. Thusly, I went with the dedicated sand and lob clubs, which will be bent to stronger lofts to both lower the bounce to fit my swing, and to accomodate a 50* something or other gap wedge...

I was absolutely amazed to see how easily these were to open up, an with the strengthened lofts, should be even better from fairway lies... I'm thinking about throwing darts at the flags from the rough, the sand, and now the fairways as well ;)

Settling on a 50* GW, now that should be fun...

I'm finding them tough to hit low. I used to like to play a knockdown fade with my MP-T's. Opening them up they are crazy. I can open a 52 to around a 58. The 52 flies so high though it is shorter than my old 54. I'll give them some more time.

What kind of shaft do you have in your Mp-R's since you have a hard time hitting them low - compared to the MP-T's ?

I'm finding them tough to hit low. I used to like to play a knockdown fade with my MP-T's. Opening them up they are crazy. I can open a 52 to around a 58. The 52 flies so high though it is shorter than my old 54. I'll give them some more time.

What kind of shaft do you have in your Mp-R's since you have a hard time hitting them low - compared to the MP-T's ?

Same stock DG wedge flex. For me they seem easy to open but tough to close. I played a few practice rounds and hit plenty of extra shots, I've decided they just aren't for me. I'm going to get rid of them and play a couple TP wedges until work gets busier. Then I'll look into Scratch or Epon's. I have a steep attack angle and I don't think that grind fits it very well. Probably more me than the club.

• 1 month later...

I purchased the MP-R 54 degree (upgrading from my previous MP-T 56 and 60). If you are familiar with the feel of the MP-T, these are similar however, the ground sole offered two noticeable differences. When hitting out of the fairway, the sole just slices into the turf, so if you hit it slightly fat, it will slice into the ground and your result will be a VERY fat shot. The bounce is definitely a lot different. Where these clubs really shine is out of the sand. The sole just slides through effortlessly. Finally, when you open up the face, it was alot easier to not worry about the bounce getting in the way. Great around the greens. I am pleased with this club and plan on purchasing the 58 to go with it.

• 1 month later...

Have the 52,56,60 set in the Nickel finish. Took Vokey's out of my bag after 10 years on the scene for me. Never though I would replace the Vokey's. These have all the playability you could ever want in a wedge. They have the best feel too. For 2007 nothing comes close to Mizzy's latest offering.

LP

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the 54*/10* & 60*/ 5* in black NI. These are Spin monsters. I couldnt get my Vokey SM to bite like these. All those years playing Clevelands and these are the absolute best wedge I have ever held in my hand!

[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 9* Matrix Radix S7~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 3 wood 15* ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Mizuno Mx-300 5-GW ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 56* Black Oxide ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Ping Craz-E Center shafted ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Penta ~[/b][/color][/center]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

These wedges are amazing. I've had the 56 and 60* for about a year now. I can hit them high, low, open face, closed face, fairway, rough, sand. Out of any lie, these clubs feel like an extension of my arm...total control. Oh, and I highly recommend matching the heads with Royal Precision "Spinner" shafts. I bought the 56* with the stock DG S300 shaft. Nice, but switched it out for the RP...no comparison. Improved feel and balance. Better control of trajectory. Well worth the 5-10 dollar upgrade. I got the upgraded shaft put the 60* no problem through tgw.com. Even with the custom shaft option, I got the club delivered in 5 days.

• 4 months later...

Love these things. I've got the 52, 56 and 60, all with lowest bounce options. They do hit VERY fat if you come in steep. As for around the green, I haven't seen anything better.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my 58/10 black nickel finish. I ordered it -1/2' because I am short, and with the Nippon 950 regular flex shaft since I have a slow swing speed. I took it out on the course without practicing with it first and I am not a good wedge player. I am a terrible bunker player, and this thing was AWESOME out of the sand. It was almost magical.

I need to practice with it a lot because I hit a lot of fat and thin shots, but I love the feel, and again it is so good out of the sand that I would be willing to keep it in the bag for the sand play alone. (I hit much better pitches and chips with it on my second day of play).

Very solid with use so far...

- the sole grind seems to work almost as well as the Cleveland tour van customer grinds

- very soft yet solid feel due to being a "true" forging and with the Mizuno 1025 soft steel

Well balanced, nice visual appeal. Like others, I was not crazy about the Mizuno "roadrunner" bird logo being etched on the sole but you forget about that.

Second shot I hit on a course with mine -- 54 degree -- I hit the flag from 105 out. Club goes 110 with comfortable swing.

Thanks, thumbs up. Might grade a "5" after I use some more.

Lawson

These are great wedges. I prefer the MP-R shape to the MP-T shape. My set of MP-Rs (52/56/60) in Black Ni and are replacements for a similar set of Mizuno Black Ox wedges.

The only thing I don't like about them (minor) is the Mizuno logo on the sole.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

These are great wedges. I prefer the MP-R shape to the MP-T shape. My set of MP-Rs (52/56/60) in Black Ni and are replacements for a similar set of Mizuno Black Ox wedges.

The only thing I don't like about them (minor) is the Mizuno logo on the sole.

I do not mind the Mizuno logo on the sole. I am not sure why it has to say Black Ni on the wedge though...

I do not care for the marks in the hosel where I already hit some bad shots!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

:partytime2: These would not be a great choice for "diggers", or at least those who struggle to hit the ball cleanly most of the time, especially in the low bounce of the 60*. These (especially in the low bounce) are best for those with lower handicaps/better skills. If you don't have great skills, you'll find yourself thinning and hitting the ball fat pretty often, I expect (especially if your regular fairways are lush, or damp, as the leading edge is very sharp).

I love these things. They look beautiful, feel amazing and the way you can open up the 60* is sensational. With the low bounce you can open it way up and the leading edge stays very close to the ground, so you don't feel you're likely to skull it across the green. You can have brilliant fun with it and I've been very impressed with mine out of the bunkers, too. These were a noticeable improvement over the original MP T, in my opinion, especially in these higher lofts, where you want to open up the face to play flop shots. The sole grind on these makes that a breeze. Then there's the feel. If you haven't used forged irons/wedges, you're missing out.

The 60.05 is THE best greenside 60* wedge on the market.

The sole grind is spectacular, and allows me to hit shots that I thought about, yet could not execute with my OTR Vokey 60.04.

The spin is UNREAL. Bites harder than the Cleveland Zips and Vokey SM, IME.

I'm going to buy the 56 and 52 degree equivalents very shortly. Awesome, awesome golf clubs, and the current price is right.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

The 60.05 is THE best greenside 60* wedge on the market.

The sole grind is spectacular, and allows me to hit shots that I thought about, yet could not execute with my OTR Vokey 60.04.

The spin is UNREAL. Bites harder than the Cleveland Zips and Vokey SM, IME.

I'm going to buy the 56 and 52 degree equivalents very shortly. Awesome, awesome golf clubs, and the current price is right.

Now that I'm playing the MP-R tho (60-05, and I play just about every greenside shot with a 60) I'm seriously starting to wonder what I've been missing out on.

Some background- I'm not a bad wedge player, but not good either. I don't always get it close to the pin, but I can play just about every shot there is to play with a wedge (dead hands chip, out to in cut chip, mini full swing chip, upright chip, putting chip, open face pitch, utley pitch, cut lob pitch, flop...etc.), and i've been playing the tour edges in my sig (very underrated, especially for the price)

The only shot I COULDN'T play was the low, one hop stopper that the pros love to hit, but now i'm getting more spin than I know how to handle. I just spent my first round hitting chips that....well, they're not chips. They literally just land and STOP- not one hop, no roll at all, and this is on 15 foot chip shots. I'm actually hoping that the grooves will start to wear out soon so I don't have to turn my hands over to make the ball release. Oh, and like everyone said, they don't shred balls which is nice.

Now for the grind...I heart it. Yes, I said heart. I HEART THE MP-R GRIND! You can open it as much as you want and it'll lay flat, you can play it square without it digging, you can play it out of the bunker. I even hit a few flops off hardpan, no problem. That said, I got just a tiny bit loose with my hands on an open faced chip shot and just slid the club straight under the ball off a lie with BARELY any grass. These things can SERIOUSLY cut the legs out from under anything, on any lie.

My summary- AWESOME grind, good feel, nice stock shaft, spins like no other wedge i've ever hit, doesn't shread balls. DEFINITELY not for diggers though, and the grind makes the wedge play like there's less bounce than there is, so unless you love to flop it off everything like I do, you're probably better off with the 8 degree.