All Things Ohio Golf

Comments

• KeithM38KeithM38 Members Posts: 533 ✭✭
    mci711 wrote:

Does anyone want to play Stonelick Hills Saturday morning? 7:50. Can't book/play as a single, I believe it is the first tee time. Coming from Chicago for a wedding, but if it makes it any better I hate the Cubs, so we probably have that in common.

If you hot out to Stonelick I hope you liked it. What'd you think about it compared to your course's up in Chicago?
    Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
    Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
    Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
    Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
    Byron Morgan 006 GSS
  • TMadigolfTMadigolf Members Posts: 385 ✭✭
    For those in central ohio Indian Springs in Mechanicsburg is closing and is going up for sale soon. It's where i got my start in the golf turf industry back in 99. Really sad what happened to it over the last 10+ years, was once one of the top 5-10 public courses in the state. They lost/cut down many trees that took away from the course and a failing irrigation system and lack of budget really put a strain on conditions in that time frame. Sad for me to hear, another one bites the dust.
  • DrunkMonkeyDrunkMonkey Members Posts: 95 ✭✭
    I had my fitting with True Spec in Worthington yesterday evening. Link goes to my review.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1706862-true-spec-fitting-columbus/
  • UCBananaboyUCBananaboy Members Posts: 1,087 ✭✭
    Just a heads-up to Daytonians...

Miami Valley Golf Club is changing their membership structure for the 2019 season. It's now going to be a $2,400 flat rate (plus tax) which includes family + pool access. It's a pretty sweet deal.
  • TheScoopTheScoop Members Posts: 62
    Anyone have any information (without having to submit a formal request) for the Hamilton Elks Golf Club? As the only info I can find is if I am adding to the cart for total costs.

I do understand you have to become an "Elk" in which you have to have members vouch for you. Unfortunately, I will no longer qualify for the 30 and under fees as I am 31. Also, I have a 3 year old son, would he be considered a Junior?

Any info would be great - Took 2 years away from the game, figuring I would strike up again once I though he was of age to tag along.
  • KarstenKKarstenK Hey Chopper, what you hitting there? Members Posts: 1,250 ✭✭
    TheScoop wrote:

Anyone have any information (without having to submit a formal request) for the Hamilton Elks Golf Club? As the only info I can find is if I am adding to the cart for total costs.

I do understand you have to become an "Elk" in which you have to have members vouch for you. Unfortunately, I will no longer qualify for the 30 and under fees as I am 31. Also, I have a 3 year old son, would he be considered a Junior?

Any info would be great - Took 2 years away from the game, figuring I would strike up again once I though he was of age to tag along.

Hey there, I'm an Elk over there and play quite a bit. Yes you become an Elk which is pretty easy, then you can sign up for the early bird rate before the end of January. I think he would be considered a junior, but 3 is quite young so maybe bringing him now and then wouldn't be worth joining as a family. You could see if they would just let you treat him like a junior guest maybe. My buddy has a little guy he brings sometimes, I'll ask him what they do about that.

It's a great deal. Feel free to ask anything else. I have a detailed pricing list for next year. The guys in the shop are cool too so they can answer anything for ya.
    Ping G400 LST Tour 75/Callaway Epic SZ Diamana D+ 70
    Callaway BBA 816 16* Diamana S+ 70
    Callaway X2Hot 19* KBS hybrid steel
    Ping i210 4-U PX LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM6 S 54*, Callaway Mack Daddy PM 58*
    Byron DH89/Bettinardi QB8/SC Studio Select Midslant NP2/Ping Ketsch
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,970 ✭✭
    edited Nov 22, 2018 #3488
    Playing Shady Hollow CC in Jackson Township, Canton on Friday. We got lucky today with no snow and the coast seems clear until Sat. Shady’s a fun track! Little bonus that day with a small warmup from this cold too. Looking forward to some fresh air. Happy Thanksgiving to all you Ohioans!
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,221 ✭✭
    Bumping the thread to Say congrats to our beloved Buckeyes for beating that Team from up North again today!! Nice old school beat down!!

Beautiful victory. On to the Big ten championship game next week.

GO BUCKS!
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • joekellijoekelli A member of the exclusive "Kingdom 14" Members Posts: 2,619 ✭✭
    Anyone sign up for the Windmill lakes deal? basically 2 years of unlimited golf for $200! only limitation is after 11 on weekends and Holidays.
    Ping G LS Tec 9* Oban Devotion 75x
    Callaway Epic 15* Oban Devotion 75x
    Callaway X2Hot pro 20* Tour green 75-X
    TaylorMade RSi2 5-pw CTAPER 130X
    TM EF spin 52, 56 & 60
    Putter- TM JD Spider s
    Machine M2A converter
    Ball- [font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Kirkland Signature or TM TP5 x[/font]
    WITB Link
  • cfmgolfcfmgolf Members Posts: 607 ✭✭
    Just a friendly reminder that the Cincinnati Golf Show is next weekend 1/18 - 1/20. Some of the local golf stores including Golf Exchange has 1/2 price tix for anyone looking for them. PS - I don't have any affiliation with the show or GE, just a golf fan.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length 9* w/ Smoke Shaft
    Cobra F9 3/4W w/ Smoke Shaft 1/2" Short 
    Ping 3 Crossover w/ Accra 80
    Ping G700 4-U w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 52*
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 56*
    Odyssey Blade 
  • BogeyPutt34BogeyPutt34 Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    joekelli wrote:

Anyone sign up for the Windmill lakes deal? basically 2 years of unlimited golf for $200! only limitation is after 11 on weekends and Holidays.

I strongly considered it but it’s just a bit too far from me to justify it
  • CwingCwing Members Posts: 8,047 ✭✭
    edited Jan 16, 2019 8:05pm #3493
    cfmgolf wrote:

Just a friendly reminder that the Cincinnati Golf Show is next weekend 1/18 - 1/20. Some of the local golf stores including Golf Exchange has 1/2 price tix for anyone looking for them. PS - I don't have any affiliation with the show or GE, just a golf fan.

I’ll be there Saturday.
    TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
    TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
    PING G25 5-U (coming soon = G410)
    Cleveland RTX 54*
    TaylorMade Hi Toe 58*
    Seemore si5
    Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
  • DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,222 ✭✭
    MOG doing demo days next month?
  • cfmgolfcfmgolf Members Posts: 607 ✭✭
    Yes to MOG. Check out their site - i think it is each saturday starting on the 9th for 3 weeks.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length 9* w/ Smoke Shaft
    Cobra F9 3/4W w/ Smoke Shaft 1/2" Short 
    Ping 3 Crossover w/ Accra 80
    Ping G700 4-U w/ Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 52*
    Cleveland RTX 3.0 56*
    Odyssey Blade 
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,681 ✭✭
    edited Feb 6, 2019 10:37am #3496

MOG doing demo days next month?

Yes, Feb 9, 16, 23. 11a-3p. Im not sure of the reps that will be there - but if like in years past, all will be represented. Weather this Sat looks cold so doubt I am going. Never know though...

Edit:

Got MoG email, here are the OEMs represented:

Manufacturer's On-Site:

Callaway

Cobra

Mizuno

Ping

Srixon/Cleveland

TaylorMade

Titleist

Wilson
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F9 - Atmos TS Black 6x
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    718 TMB 19* - DG AMT White s300
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
    Anyone in NE Ohio that could recommend a great instructor? Looking to take a few lessons early spring need some help with irons and short game specifically. Not looking for indoor or hitting off a mat. I never hit the ball well off of a mat for some reason so looking for someone who will teach on a grass range with a launch monitor. Any info is appreciated, thanks
  • lspky_muskielspky_muskie Members Posts: 903 ✭✭
    Anyone know if Miles of Golf will match the trade in enhancements you can get directly from the OEMs right now?
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,970 ✭✭
    edited Feb 10, 2019 8:34pm #3499

Anyone in NE Ohio that could recommend a great instructor? Looking to take a few lessons early spring need some help with irons and short game specifically. Not looking for indoor or hitting off a mat. I never hit the ball well off of a mat for some reason so looking for someone who will teach on a grass range with a launch monitor. Any info is appreciated, thanks
    Trent Maxwell at Windmill Lakes Fitting Center. He’s very good and has all the toys. BB
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
    Big Ben wrote:

Trent Maxwell at Windmill Lakes Fitting Center. He’s very good and has all the toys. BB

I’ll have to stop there and have a chat with him next time I’m out that way. Really like that course, play there a few times a year. The Tent sale is always an expensive weekend for me!
  • Irae133Irae133 Members Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2019 3:59pm #3501
    Big Ben wrote:

Trent Maxwell at Windmill Lakes Fitting Center. He's very good and has all the toys. BB

Have you, or anyone else for that matter, had a fitting experience at Windmill Lakes? I'm planning on getting a full bag fitting/upgrade within the next month and just wanted to know how it went over there. I called the pro shop to ask some questions and the person who does the fittings, Justin Long, seemed very nice. All I could find on their website was they carried all the big named brands and used Trackman 4.
  • DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,222 ✭✭
    Bump as it has been a month since anyone posted here! Season is about to get underway, hopefully I can actually play this year so long as the weather is decent.

I'm thinking of joining a GC for the first time as a junior member. I'm single, soon to be 29 and would like a place to consistently practice or play without driving too far after work. Not interested really in pricey food minimums, pool/tennis, etc. I think the only club that fits that bill to a tee is probably Stonelick, but at nearly 30-40 minutes each way, that's a hard sell for convenience sake. I'd rather just pay to play there once a month like I tried to do last season, only with weather I barely got out to play at all.

I'm in Kennedy Heights, closer to Oakley. Looks like the closest option is Losantiville CC, but I haven't heard great things about that course or practice facility, and they carry a few minimums. Maketewah or Hyde Park are not far either, but certainly not a small investment, considering they don't post rates I'll assume "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" status. Of course, Kenwood is close - but likely half my pay to get my foot in the door, so I'll opt to forget it even exists.

Is there anything else "affordable" around here? I know most public courses very well in the area, and am pretty burnt out on most of them, but I have only played two private clubs ever since living here. They were out of my price range and out of the way - O'bannon and Four Bridges.
  • FrohlichFrohlich Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    edited Mar 13, 2019 12:31pm #3503
    The thread lives. Definitely ready to start playing but my group of friends here in Cincinnati really won't head out until its 50 and sunny so they weren't interested in playing this Sunday just yet. I played a few weeks back in Orlando and it was upper 70s..what a nice break that was. Though my game was super rusty after not swinging the sticks for a few months it was still nice to just get out in nice weather.
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭

Bump as it has been a month since anyone posted here! Season is about to get underway, hopefully I can actually play this year so long as the weather is decent.

I'm thinking of joining a GC for the first time as a junior member. I'm single, soon to be 29 and would like a place to consistently practice or play without driving too far after work. Not interested really in pricey food minimums, pool/tennis, etc. I think the only club that fits that bill to a tee is probably Stonelick, but at nearly 30-40 minutes each way, that's a hard sell for convenience sake. I'd rather just pay to play there once a month like I tried to do last season, only with weather I barely got out to play at all.

I'm in Kennedy Heights, closer to Oakley. Looks like the closest option is Losantiville CC, but I haven't heard great things about that course or practice facility, and they carry a few minimums. Maketewah or Hyde Park are not far either, but certainly not a small investment, considering they don't post rates I'll assume "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" status. Of course, Kenwood is close - but likely half my pay to get my foot in the door, so I'll opt to forget it even exists.

Is there anything else "affordable" around here? I know most public courses very well in the area, and am pretty burnt out on most of them, but I have only played two private clubs ever since living here. They were out of my price range and out of the way - O'bannon and Four Bridges.

Losantiville is gonna be your only option (at your location and pricepoint) I'm afraid. it's not a bad course at all by the way... Maketewah is great with great facilities. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask, I did and they all are more than accommodating. Ivy Hills is another option but good luck walking that course. Coldstream is underrated but might be expensive. Hyde Park and Cincinnati Country Club might be options if you know the right people. Kenwood is great with 36 holes but tbh some members are way too snooty for me. Clovernook or Western Hills CC aren't bad options either, I like the latter better. I'm not sure of the junior membership options at a lot of these clubs. Maketewah's last time I checked was steep but not egregious.
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp

Losantiville is gonna be your only option (at your location and pricepoint) I'm afraid. it's not a bad course at all by the way... Maketewah is great with great facilities. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask, I did and they all are more than accommodating. Ivy Hills is another option but good luck walking that course. Coldstream is underrated but might be expensive. Hyde Park and Cincinnati Country Club might be options if you know the right people. Kenwood is great with 36 holes but tbh some members are way too snooty for me. Clovernook or Western Hills CC aren't bad options either, I like the latter better. I'm not sure of the junior membership options at a lot of these clubs. Maketewah's last time I checked was steep but not egregious.

I think I'll look at Losantiville and if it looks like a good deal, at least play a comped round as a prospect.
  • Willian70Willian70 Members Posts: 383 ✭✭

I think I'll look at Losantiville and if it looks like a good deal, at least play a comped round as a prospect.

You have some other options in Newtown and Anderson with Stillmeadow CC and Ivy Hills.
    Callaway EPIC 10.5 Oban Purple
    Cobra Baffler 16* Tour Ad Di 7x
    Callaway X HOT PRO 19* V2
    Titleist 910h 23* Diamana
    PING g25 5-UW Tour Elevate x100
    Ping Glide 54, 58 s400
    Spider tour Black
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    Willian70 wrote:

You have some other options in Newtown and Anderson with Stillmeadow CC and Ivy Hills.

It can't hurt. A few of my buddies are members there. For the price its a helluva deal. I haven't played there in some time, but when I did play it was in good shape. Did Stillmeadow CC used to be called Royal Oak?

It can't hurt. A few of my buddies are members there. For the price its a helluva deal. I haven't played there in some time, but when I did play it was in good shape. Did Stillmeadow CC used to be called Royal Oak?
    Have a Putter fitting at MOG coming up soon, what should I expect? I've never had one before.
  • dearth12dearth12 Members Posts: 688 ✭✭

Have a Putter fitting at MOG coming up soon, what should I expect? I've never had one before.

Typically, they will start you out with a Directed Force putter to check for length and lie. From there a big emphasis is put on what style of putter (neck and blade vs mallet) you aim the best.

From there you select those types of putters and begin rolling putts to look at the ball data, change lofts if needed, and pick 2-3 you like the best. If weather allows you then go out on the putting green and put the putters through a "real world" test for lag/feel and short range makes.

It is a good process and can teach you a lot about your individual putting tendencies.

A major revelation that came from my fitting was how off my aim was. I thought that having a putter with a large line on it (Ping Vault Bergen) and putting a line on the ball would be the best way for me to line up putts. I left there realizing that I am significantly better with a putter having zero alignment aids and by not using any alignment on the ball.
    Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
    Cobra F8 5/6 wood w/ Evenflow Blue-75X
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron 17* w/ Dynamic Gold AMT X
    Callaway Apex Pro Smoke 4-PW w/ Elevate Tour Smoke X-100
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Elevate Tour Smoke X-100 (soft stepped once)
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black (Armlock) w/ SuperStroke 17”
    dearth12 wrote:

Typically, they will start you out with a Directed Force putter to check for length and lie. From there a big emphasis is put on what style of putter (neck and blade vs mallet) you aim the best.

From there you select those types of putters and begin rolling putts to look at the ball data, change lofts if needed, and pick 2-3 you like the best. If weather allows you then go out on the putting green and put the putters through a "real world" test for lag/feel and short range makes.

It is a good process and can teach you a lot about your individual putting tendencies.

A major revelation that came from my fitting was how off my aim was. I thought that having a putter with a large line on it (Ping Vault Bergen) and putting a line on the ball would be the best way for me to line up putts. I left there realizing that I am significantly better with a putter having zero alignment aids and by not using any alignment on the ball.

Awesome, I was hoping it would be super comprehensive, and not just a basic fitting like one from GG. Interesting they start out with a DF putter as a baseline. I'm surprised they don't just have you use your own putter. Is the fitting how you ended up with your arm lock putter? I'm a pretty mental putter when it comes to set up, I'll just have to stick with the set up that feels comfortable I guess. I'm doing this in an effort to find some consistency.
    Has anyone used windmill golf center in Macedonia for lessons? I’ve received a gift card for there and was considering using it for lessons. They have a few different instructors so just wondering if one was better than the others or if anyone had any insight at all. Thanks